Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

what would this world be like without https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-82qjU74EU

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

I will help. Can we create new dimensions with reality or must we wait!

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 18, 2015

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Okay, so I was thinking… how cool and creative the roads could be in another 5 years and came up with this business idea. I feel like this would provide me with so many laughs. It would be like a whole new world. If someone does this, let me know give me 1% ownership and I'll be happy.
build-a-car.com (or whatever web address is available and cool)
Potential Partner: Elon Musk
Business Plan: Design Your Own Car Website
Objective: To allow anyone to build a car of their own design at an affordable price
Price: ($1,000 - $5,000 starting range, even if cost of manufacturing is artificially low for initial release until mass production is scaled)
able to upload/create own design, has preloaded selections, one can buy highly rated designs from people within platform
Needs:
Design Tool,
Design Upload Capability
Metal, Carbon Fiber, etc Large 3D Printing Machines
Leverage video game technology for the car building process.
Interior design selections.
Full prototype component compatibility checks. Compatibility requirement standards are very important.
example warnings: Weight of engine warning
Automotive Grade Components
Automated Check based on government requirement standards at the end of the design to see if the car is accepted based on local and regional regulations (safety standard, road standards).
Target Market: Start with a single location to test as a proof of concept.
Contingent Liability Insurance: Pending litigation on accidents or requirement standard system malfunctions
Most Similar Product on Market: Ferrari Design Kit
Expansion Markets: Boats, Campers, Jets
Potentially live expert review process before checking out.
Fully assembled car delivered to home address.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
word on the street is that the secret sauce is left alone

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
take your meds, ian

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

uncurable mlady posted:

take your meds, ian

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
im sorry i honked u ian

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

take your meds, ian

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ian McLean posted:

Okay, so I was thinking… how cool and creative the roads could be in another 5 years and came up with this business idea. I feel like this would provide me with so many laughs. It would be like a whole new world. If someone does this, let me know give me 1% ownership and I'll be happy.
Objective: To allow anyone to build a car of their own design at an affordable price
Price: ($1,000 - $5,000 starting range, even if cost of manufacturing is artificially low for initial release until mass production is scaled)
able to upload/create own design, has preloaded selections, one can buy highly rated designs from people within platform
Needs:
Design Tool,
Design Upload Capability
Full prototype component compatibility checks. Compatibility requirement standards are very important.
Automated Check based on government requirement standards at the end of the design to see if the car is accepted based on local and regional regulations (safety standard, road standards).
Contingent Liability Insurance: Pending litigation on accidents or requirement standard system malfunctions

i want everyone to bask in this idea because loving lmao @ every single part of it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yes we should make building a car cheaper by making building a car cheaper

also video game technology

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
yeah jets are a thing i want normal people designing

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ian tell me how much you think making bespoke metal bodywork costs

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sweevo posted:

i want everyone to bask in this idea because loving lmao @ every single part of it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

video game technology

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boxturret posted:

video game technology

oh hey a new spacex video

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sweevo posted:

ian tell me how much you think making bespoke metal bodywork costs

i like the implied prototyping round(s) and the FEA package that's running all these checks. which isn't given nearly the amount of consideration that "compatibility" is, because ur real danger is trying to mix metric and english

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am the mass production of one-off cars

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Ian McLean posted:

Needs:
Design Tool,
Design Upload Capability

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boxturret posted:

video game technology

pod survived, everything checks out as safe

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a really good bridge designer

https://twitter.com/zapflol/status/621163766802173952

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Sweevo posted:

i would play the poo poo out of kerbal kart

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
have we talked about znaps yet

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1041610927/znaps-the-9-magnetic-adapter-for-your-mobile-devic

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

the idea looks kinda pointless but not hilariously bad. do they catch fire or something?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmbo

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

This seems pretty cool but I'm sure it infringes in some way on the magsafe patent

also lol kickstarter it'll never ship and if it does it'll be broken

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

This seems pretty cool but I'm sure it infringes in some way on the magsafe patent

also lol kickstarter it'll never ship and if it does it'll be broken

quote:

Our patent lawyer did a patent search before we started the project. This is one of the reasons why we didn’t develop ZNAPS into a whole charging cable. We haven’t infringed on Apple's patent.

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
to me a znap is what happens after you eat a pizza

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

looks more like something you get in a kinder egg

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
on a laptop the power cord is frequently attached while you use it and someone walking by can trip and pull the whole thing down, so a magnetic plug lets it detach and avoid damage. with a phone you charge it on a short cord and mostly at night when there's little foot traffic so it's much less useful

if they really get around apple patents with their scheme, they should combine it with one of those universal power adapters and sell it to pc laptop havers bc that actually has a potential market

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

on a laptop the power cord is frequently attached while you use it and someone walking by can trip and pull the whole thing down, so a magnetic plug lets it detach and avoid damage. with a phone you charge it on a short cord and mostly at night when there's little foot traffic so it's much less useful

if they really get around apple patents with their scheme, they should combine it with one of those universal power adapters and sell it to pc laptop havers bc that actually has a potential market

It's a good idea for micro-USB since you can plug it in either way, but lol at their lawyers standing a chance against Apple

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

It's a good idea for micro-USB since you can plug it in either way, but lol at their lawyers standing a chance against Apple

sony have got a magnetic charging thing on their mobiles (which is considerably bulkier than this and only works one way) which similarly is just a thing you add on to the end of an existing micro usb cable so possibly this is actually a viable way round the apple patent

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

microsoft also has a magnetic thing for the surfaces, presumably nobody is suing them because nobody really noticed

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol I attached something to something else with a magnet. patent plz -apple

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
there was a similar product on ks last year. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1193255258/cabin-the-easiest-way-to-recharge-your-iphone

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smithsonian/reboot-the-suit-bring-back-neil-armstrongs-spacesu

😕

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if it's an effective way for them to solicit donations or whatever, then sure. okay.

the udvar-hazy museum is seriously awesome tho, and that "special facility" (just the archive area of the museum) they talk about in the video owns.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

goddamnedtwisto posted:

sony have got a magnetic charging thing on their mobiles (which is considerably bulkier than this and only works one way) which similarly is just a thing you add on to the end of an existing micro usb cable so possibly this is actually a viable way round the apple patent

the patented special sauce of the magsafe plug is that the contacts are in symmetrical pairs laid out such that no matter which way you flip the plug both positive contacts on the computer are in contact with both positive pins on the plug and same for the ground. having two contact points for each for positive and negative is how magsafe gets away with pumping 85W through such a small magnetically maintained connector.

they conspicuously don't show what the adapter side of the connector looks like. if I had to guess it isn't symmetrical and current carrying limits are probably why they aren't bothering with USB-C. the "we didn't develop it into a charging cable" line sounds like bs but there could be another patent I'm not thinking of that causes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its a shame that this has to be kickstarted

if i had 10k just laying around i would totally do this since i live close to dc

• Locked thread