Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

I'm thinking of trying to continue my game as a vassal of Byzantium and rebelling later. How viable would that be?

P sure that king-tier characters cannot swear fealty, and don't the Byzantines get free title revocation? It sounds either impossible or dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

DStecks posted:

P sure that king-tier characters cannot swear fealty, and don't the Byzantines get free title revocation? It sounds either impossible or dangerous.

You can form a kingdom under an emperor, Sicily is a really nice one... but getting the viceroyalty for that duchy is an absolute bitch. Calabria is a decent place to start if you want to go that route.

Technically, you become a despot, not a king and as long as your push through Muslim held Sicily or the off-brand dukes, avoiding Lombardia, it's not all that difficult. Don't form duchies 'til you have to and you can balance out the emperor by marrying into the Karlings for alliances.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

DStecks posted:

I think I'm only a duke right now. I'm only on the second character and hadn't formed the Kingdom of Venice. But I guess I'll see when I load up the game and promptly lost the war.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Tercio posted:

Just went up against this dude in a holy war for one of my duchies.

He was absolutely unstoppable, even when outnumbered 2 to 1. I'm loving the way combat works now.

I was wondering why you were losing at 2:1 at first, and then I noticed "Narrow Flank", aka, the best combat modifier in the game by a mile. No wonder he sent you packing. Combined with Leading the Centre, and boy oh boy do you have a hell of a commander right there. Just put him in the middle, watch him melt the enemy no matter their size, and then get an ungodly flanking bonus.

Seriously though, Battlefield Terrain Master is probably the most valuable combat modifier in the game.

e; also, under byzantium, isn't the emperor not allowed to revoke titles freely which he did not grant out himself as viceroyalty? so if you form one, you keep it unless you lose it through normal means. so yeah, as someone above mentions, form sicily and you should be golden

Another Person fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 18, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

I think I'm only a duke right now. I'm only on the second character and hadn't formed the Kingdom of Venice. But I guess I'll see when I load up the game and promptly lost the war.

Is Venice not a king-tier title any more? Or is this on a pre-1066 bookmark, because I've never tried pre-1066 Venice (since that used to be the most boring imaginable game until they rejiggered the tech progression).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

DStecks posted:

Is Venice not a king-tier title any more? Or is this on a pre-1066 bookmark, because I've never tried pre-1066 Venice (since that used to be the most boring imaginable game until they rejiggered the tech progression).
No it's definitely king tier at least in the Old Gods bookmark.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Well, the last Pope was a pretty bad guy, no arguments there...

But did you guys really enjoy the legal drama of it all enough to dig up the Pope before him, too?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
They probably dug up the wrong one first a decided to run with it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
drat you chinese ambassador, what have you done to my dog! :qq:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Subjugated the Abbasids. Next stop becoming saoshyant, I have the piety built up I just need to crush this 50k independence revolt...

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Can someone link the old thread? I went back to play After the End 0.5 and its crashing when it starts to load the main menu. I think I had the same problem in 0.3, and someone gave me a solution for it there. I got no idea whats up.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

lurksion posted:

No it's definitely king tier at least in the Old Gods bookmark.

If you start at the Charlemagne start, you can have an ambition to form the Kingdom. But you need a bunch of prestige and to collect 2 duchies first.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weavered posted:

Haven't had to do this myself for a while, but as far as I remember you'll need to convert to Manicheanism first, then be converted to the Zoroastrinism heresy by the Zoroastrinism version of a bishop researching cultural tech.

Khans and Chieftans dont have this option

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Synnr posted:

Can someone link the old thread? I went back to play After the End 0.5 and its crashing when it starts to load the main menu. I think I had the same problem in 0.3, and someone gave me a solution for it there. I got no idea whats up.
If you're playing 0.5 proper, make sure your game's rolled back to pre-HL, as there's still a bit of compatching going on for the current version of CK2.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

If you're playing 0.5 proper, make sure your game's rolled back to pre-HL, as there's still a bit of compatching going on for the current version of CK2.

I don't have that particular DLC, is there a particular version of CK2 I should have or some such? I just grabbed the github version, if that matters.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Synnr posted:

I don't have that particular DLC, is there a particular version of CK2 I should have or some such? I just grabbed the github version, if that matters.

Even if you don't have the DLC, the current patch still won't be compatible with the mod, and the github version is probably being heavily worked on and won't work smoothly with either 2.3.6 or 2.4. Your best bet is probably to either wait until the compatibility patch is done or go get the latest stable version and roll back to 2.3.6 using Steam Properties-Betas.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So what's the consensus on the new DLC? Worth getting? I'll probably get it regardless

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Shnooks posted:

So what's the consensus on the new DLC? Worth getting? I'll probably get it regardless

-*my opinion*- with patch 2.4.0 eh maybe, a bit broken as a horde. With the beta patch 2.4.2.? Yes definitely. Playing as a horde is fluid and fun :)

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Shnooks posted:

It is my favorite DLC since old gods.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I started a game at the Charlemagne bookmark, and has anybody else noticed a significant number of totally black CoA's?

Also, from at least the Mongols bookmark on, the south of Sri Lanka appears to be wasteland by mistake. :v:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
When I'm pillaging as the nomads, sometimes I get 20 gold each time, sometimes I get 100, and I can't really tell what determines it. I dug through the files and found this:

code:
					if = {
						limit = {
							location = {
								owner = {
									character = FROM
								}
							}
						}
						wealth = 100
					}
					if = {
						limit = {
							NOT = {
								location = {
									owner = {
										character = FROM
									}
								}
							}
						}
						wealth = 20
					}
:psyduck: Can someone please translate?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The syntax for what ought to be a simple if/else statement is making my eyes bleed.

As for what it does, that depends on what character = FROM means.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I dunno, i think it might be saying that if the holding is yours, you get 100 but if its someone elses, you get 20. Don't quote me on that, though.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Saith posted:

I dunno, i think it might be saying that if the holding is yours, you get 100 but if its someone elses, you get 20. Don't quote me on that, though.

That's what I thought, but it seems to vary based on something else. I was getting 100 gold a pillage whether it was an owned province or just being held in an ongoing war. Then my character died and the new guy is now getting 20 a pop in both scenarios.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I think it means that if you own the county yourself you get 100, if someone else owns it you get 20. Paradox forums are talking about a way to console yourself to become a nomad with the new beta, but no one says what the command actually is :eng99: Anyone know?

Edit: Beaten, and wrong.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Saith posted:

That is pretty much what it is saying, yes. "location" means the province, and FROM is the character using the pillage decision, so if you own the county where the target holding is then you gain 100, and if you don't then it's twenty.

edit: if the holding you are pillaging is tribal, then you get something like half of both these figures, and apparently something ELSE is going on too? That scope chain is really weird, I get what they're trying to do but I think they did it wrong somehow.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 18, 2015

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Tehan posted:

That's what I thought, but it seems to vary based on something else. I was getting 100 gold a pillage whether it was an owned province or just being held in an ongoing war. Then my character died and the new guy is now getting 20 a pop in both scenarios.

While it depends on the owner, I think it isn't just whether or not you own it. The FROM tag makes me think it has to do with culture or some other attribute of origin. I have no real idea how Paradox's scripting system works though.

e: nm.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Just conquered Siwistan, and pillaging the locations gets 20 gold apiece. Ditto next door in Aror, which I don't own. With this character's father, in both scenarios he was getting 100.

Edit: It just changed to 100 again. I have no idea what's going on.

Edit edit: It might be based on the wars you're in? It switched back to 20 when I started conquering Mansura, and then back to 100 when the war ended.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 18, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is it deliberate that you can't expel the Jews anymore unless you're a king?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tehan posted:

I have a loony theory based on my read of that decision code. Is your character leading an army or otherwise, somehow, not at their capital?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

DStecks posted:

Is it deliberate that you can't expel the Jews anymore unless you're a king?

Probably, yes. It was a free 550 gold every time you expelled them for counts that started with jews. Now it's not a money printing machine until you've got the titles for it.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Tehan posted:

Just conquered Siwistan, and pillaging the locations gets 20 gold apiece. Ditto next door in Aror, which I don't own. With this character's father, in both scenarios he was getting 100.

Edit edit: It might be based on the wars you're in? It switched back to 20 when I started conquering Mansura, and then back to 100 when the war ended.

You pillage for 20 when you're at war and 100 when you're not.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

I have a loony theory based on my read of that decision code. Is your character leading an army or otherwise, somehow, not at their capital?

Pretty sure I get what you're hinting at here, and it looks like you're dead right. If my character is not leading an army, or is leading an army in the province being looted, the value is 100. If he's leading an army anywhere else, it's only 20.

I wonder if that's the intention. It does make a certain degree of sense but I don't think it's been documented anywhere.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tehan posted:

Pretty sure I get what you're hinting at here, and it looks like you're dead right. If my character is not leading an army, or is leading an army in the province being looted, the value is 100. If he's leading an army anywhere else, it's only 20.

I wonder if that's the intention. It does make a certain degree of sense but I don't think it's been documented anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it's not the intention (and assuming it isn't, that's an easy enough fix). What that code actually does (or, more accurately, the scope block from settlement_decisions I looked at where that code is) is change the loot amount based on whether the character directly owns the province they are currently IN, rather than whether they own the province they are looting.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Is there anything stopping you from holding infinite counties and having the barony level titles vassals directly to you? Clans don't seem to care about anything except completely empty land, you don't have a demesne limit, and the empty holding slots still seem to count towards population even if they aren't completely empty.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

You can. I just started a game at the 1066 bookmark and swore fealty to the Byzantines as the king of Croatia to check.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 18, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not the intention (and assuming it isn't, that's an easy enough fix). What that code actually does (or, more accurately, the scope block from settlement_decisions I looked at where that code is) is change the loot amount based on whether the character directly owns the province they are currently IN, rather than whether they own the province they are looting.

Oh, I see. That makes sense. I'll go chuck a bug report up on the Paradox forums.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

DStecks posted:

King-tier characters can only swear fealty to their de jure emperor. So Afghanistan could swear fealty to the Persian Emperor, but France can't.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

King-tier characters can only swear fealty to their de jure emperor. So Afghanistan could swear fealty to the Persian Emperor, but France can't.

I think the "I AM A KING!" modifier prevents them from swearing fealty even if you are their De Jure liege;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I think the "I AM A KING!" modifier prevents them from swearing fealty even if you are their De Jure liege;

The modifier will (usually) keep them from accepting if you ask. But even if THEY ask the game will only let them ask if you're their Dr jure liege.

• Locked thread