Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is Joel Schumacher directing Batman again?

It's from Speed Racer, a gloriously eyeball-loving nutball movie that's actually pretty great. The final race is wonderful and had me cheering like I was 7 again. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is Joel Schumacher directing Batman again?
It's from Speed Racer.

efb

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Steve French posted:

This is not a 308.

Four lights...? is that a GTO? :aaa:

e: I looked up the 308 on Wikipedia, and look who I found, why, it's our old friend the Federal Bumper!

(guest starring the Blocky Amber Side Marker)

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 18, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's always a fiero.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

EightBit posted:

Aren't the engines in F1 cars stressed members, as in, no engine, car is missing vital structure?

Yes. And the same is true for LMP1 cars.

mobby_6kl posted:

There's also this bullshit:

The only current stupid thing I can think of in the US is CAFE. Otherwise Europe sucks for cars, you'd probably go to jail the moment you drove one of the Roadkill contraptions on the road here.

No, the NHTSA headlight rules are still stupid and prevent things like Audi's clever laser headlights (also BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and others): http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/06/laserbeam-headlights-not-in-the-us/

There are some rules about active displays in the driver's eyeline which means we can't have road-going versions of the Bosch rear-view radar system the Corvettes have been using in GT racing too.

hackbunny posted:

Four lights...? is that a GTO? :aaa:

e: I looked up the 308 on Wikipedia, and look who I found, why, it's our old friend the Federal Bumper!

(guest starring the Blocky Amber Side Marker)

Is this definitely a US thing? I know the horrible rubber blocks that Porsche still puts on 911s here is actually because of a Canadian 5mph impact requirement (the US only tests at 2mph).

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 18, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
one. page.

angryhampster posted:

I love the trailer plate.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Powershift posted:

It's always a fiero.

Except when it's a GTO. It's a GTO.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

Except when it's a GTO. It's a GTO.

It's also sometimes a beetle, but still always a fiero.

This one in particular looks like the ultra rare 1 of 0 288 GTO targa. It's possible it could be a 308 GTS targa with a body kit, but like an onion you can peel one more layer off and it's a fiero.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Has anyone ever put a beetle drivetrain in a fiero? Or a fiero drivetrain in a beetle?

Thinking about it a blown 3800 beetle sounds baller.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Has anyone ever put a beetle drivetrain in a fiero? Or a fiero drivetrain in a beetle?

Thinking about it a blown 3800 beetle sounds baller.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/95945-3800-supercharged-build-driver-thingy.html :haw:

I think this is what you had in mind though.
http://bangshift.com/general-news/car-features/other-features/craigslist-find-vw-beetle-gm-3800-v6-hanging-back/

e: i just went through that first link, it's absolutely horrifying :stare:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Powershift posted:

This one in particular looks like the ultra rare 1 of 0 288 GTO targa. It's possible it could be a 308 GTS targa with a body kit, but like an onion you can peel one more layer off and it's a fiero.

Hm, fair point. I am certainly no expert and it does look like there's a targa top. I snapped the photo as I walked by and didn't have time to give it a good look. Tried to get some better photos today but it's trailered behind a locked gate now. I gave it the benefit of the doubt because it was parked outside a shop that frequently works on rare exotics and specializes in Ferraris: http://www.valtellina-automobili.com/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a few different companies that make 288 kits for the 308, so it could very well still be an actual ferrari, just a $30,000 ferrari instead of a $3,000,000 ferrari.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would give up so many organs to own a 288 or F40.

As long as they leave me two feet and two hands and a pulse I could technically enjoy the car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

They're about equal, safety-wise. I prefer the second one though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

It's always a fiero.

You can look up the emissions records on a state-run website, and it comes up there as a Ferrari, not a Pontiac. I don't think any Fiero kit car would be registerable, especially in CA, as anything other than a Pontiac.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can look up the emissions records on a state-run website, and it comes up there as a Ferrari, not a Pontiac. I don't think any Fiero kit car would be registerable, especially in CA, as anything other than a Pontiac.

Ok, it comes up as a 1985 308 which we all know was basically a rebadged fiero mera

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Has anyone ever put a beetle drivetrain in a fiero?

Yes. And it's exactly as awful as you'd expect.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/baja-fiero-or-bajajajajajaja-fiero-477818075

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

There are a few different companies that make 288 kits for the 308, so it could very well still be an actual ferrari, just a $30,000 ferrari instead of a $3,000,000 ferrari.

I don't think you can get a 308 GTS for $30k any more. More like double that or more depending on condition.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Okay that is terrible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrCfg2D9BYQ

Jeff Zwart had a crazy run up Pikes Peak this year in his 911 GT3 :stare:

That's a pretty amazing run! But why did they have to ruin the track?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMN4zaclgrg

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Saw these guys coming down from Breckenridge yesterday.

I was going to go over and talk to them but they were giving off a super douchy vibe.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ThirstyBuck posted:

Saw these guys coming down from Breckenridge yesterday.

I was going to go over and talk to them but they were giving off a super douchy vibe.

Uh

That's the new NSX under the camo wrap. Nice to see they are benchmarking the 12c

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ThirstyBuck posted:

That's just how honda engineers always are.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

It's certainly possible that a GTO owner could have had the roof hacked into a targa.

[e] but yeah that's a pretty good body kit, fooled me.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 19, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The best way to visually tell is that the 288 has the fuel fill above and forward from the driver's side rear wheel, and on this car it's missing.

Aside from looking up the emissions registration which I guess works for California.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The best way to visually tell is that the 288 has the fuel fill above and forward from the driver's side rear wheel, and on this car it's missing.

Aside from looking up the emissions registration which I guess works for California.

And the 288 gto has a break in the a-pillar in line with the front vent window, not at the top of the windshield, and a door handle right above the scoop, rather than up near the window in the 308. an no break at the back of the roof.

drgitlin posted:

I don't think you can get a 308 GTS for $30k any more. More like double that or more depending on condition.

I think that's a consequence of the 911 bubble. "why would i spend 120 grand on a Porsche when i can get a Ferrari for half of that". Back in my day, you could go to the shops with 50 grand and come back with a Ferrari 308, a Bentley turbo R, and a bus pass for the 300 days out of the year both of them are broken at the same time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ferrari 308 LS swap, BAM instant reliable 308....sort of.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just thinking about it, this might be our $10,000 superbird moment.

In 15 years, 308s are going to be $500,000 and your kid is going to have a poster of one on his wall, You'll tell him you could have bought one for $30,000 off craigslist but didn't, and he'll be flabbergasted. He'll ask why, and you'll tell him it was a terrible car, and you could buy a new mustang for the same price that would have been far quicker and dead reliable, and from that point on he'll look at you like you're an rear end in a top hat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son already looks at me like I'm an rear end in a top hat because I can't afford the McClaren P1 he wants me to buy :smith:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

leica posted:

My son already looks at me like I'm an rear end in a top hat because I can't afford the McClaren P1 he wants me to buy :smith:

good taste your kid

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Have you considered doing what my dad did - trapping me in a closet under the basement stairs and feeding me AMC Eagle sales brochures every week?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I took him to a local Cars n Coffee at a McClaren dealer today, then had to explain how all the cars for sale cost five times more than our house.

Got some pics, will post them later. A couple nice owner exotics, but mostly a bunch of modded out 3 series. Most of the cool cars were dealer cars :v:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
That GTO is sitting in front of Valtellina Motorsport Engineering in Sausalito. Seems like as good a place as any for a 288 GTO to be hanging out.

[edit] Goddamnit, I didn't get the emissions thing until just now. About which, holy poo poo. I looked up a GTO VIN from some dealer gallery and it came up as a GTO/288GTO so it's not like the state is just calling all 80s Ferraris "308"s.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 19, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
look do you all need me to go and check or something.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

AnnoyBot posted:

That GTO is sitting in front of Valtellina Motorsport Engineering in Sausalito. Seems like as good a place as any for a 288 GTO to be hanging out.

[edit] Goddamnit, I didn't get the emissions thing until just now. About which, holy poo poo. I looked up a GTO VIN from some dealer gallery and it came up as a GTO/288GTO so it's not like the state is just calling all 80s Ferraris "308"s.

If it were from some market outside the US, whoever imported it might have registered it as a 308 at the dmv for some shady reason. Not saying that's the case here but looking up the plate may not be definitive.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

88h88 posted:

It's from Speed Racer, a gloriously eyeball-loving nutball movie that's actually pretty great. The final race is wonderful and had me cheering like I was 7 again. :3:

I would love a version of that movie with all the kid's hi-jinks edited out, and a title card saying John Goodman made him fight the monkey to death.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Powershift posted:

And the 288 gto has a break in the a-pillar in line with the front vent window, not at the top of the windshield, and a door handle right above the scoop, rather than up near the window in the 308. an no break at the back of the roof.

I think that's a consequence of the 911 bubble. "why would i spend 120 grand on a Porsche when i can get a Ferrari for half of that". Back in my day, you could go to the shops with 50 grand and come back with a Ferrari 308, a Bentley turbo R, and a bus pass for the 300 days out of the year both of them are broken at the same time.

As I understand it, the main driving force is the fact that interest rates around the world are in the toilet. There are a lot of people out there with cash they want do something with and so they're buying assets like old Porsches and Ferraris because they're not making any more of them (unlike the classic car boom of the 1980s, this time they're not being bought with credit). The UK and RHD markets are even worse because the number of cars are smaller and they don't pay capital gains tax on cars.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Went to a very small Ferrari club gathering last year here in eastern Iowa. The 288 was glorious.

The F50 looked like hell.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Went to a local motor show this morning:

Audi 100 Coupé

Ford Cortina Mk3

Some Triumphs

Skodas

Ford Granada fastback coupé

Daimler Dart

3-series

Something for Kevbarlas.

Bugattis & Mini Mokes.

Opals

Magnum Opus (from the new Mad Max game)

(Lots more in the album link: http://imgur.com/a/l5JMe )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

angryhampster posted:

Went to a very small Ferrari club gathering last year here in eastern Iowa. The 288 was glorious.

The F50 looked like hell.
:eyepop: I'm not sure what's more magnificent, the car or what you're shooting with. What camera/lens combo are you using to get a narrow depth of field at such a wide angle?