Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Made it home and finished episode 8. Elijah Wood. Pure Bojack. Although I'm uneasy about Mr. Peanutbutter's forgiveness, he's simple enough that he might honestly admit his producers ordered him to forgive Bojack then sincerely forgive Bojack anyway, but he's also shown moments of unexpected depth and this might be one of those times where he nurses a grudge. I was totally expecting Todd and that mouse to hook up, too, which was a nice subversion - and goddamn if J. D. Salinger isn't the breakout new cast member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jesus Christ Episode 11 is brutal. Just a full on kick in the teeth. Her reaction though was loving perfect

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 18, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Jesus Christ Episode 11 is brutal. Just a full on kick in the teeth. Her reaction though was loving perfect

Just think how much more brutal that Episode 11 could have been if that balloon drifted by a few minutes later.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, so another great season ,but who's Jill Pill? I think we should know who it is but I don't know? Or I am dense, this show is so loving weird on one hand it's incredibly funny, then incredibly depressing, then romantic.

Favourite gag of the season would be whenever Wanda is walking around and talking her face always faces the direction the person is in regardless of the direction of her body.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 18, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I think she's a new character entirely set up as a hook for next season. We haven't heard the name before or anything about this other old show that Bojack was apparently a part of, so it makes the most sense as sowing the seeds for the next season arc.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bojack mentions being on another show after Bojack the Horseman I though but it was a failed show.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I really don't buy episode 7 at all, I mean its heart is in the right place but like the seal episode it was all very "Look at the point we are making, impressive yes? Beep boop topicality"

e: maybe I feel like withdrawing this complaint? Lately it rings hollow to me to consider "preachy" a negative attribute when it's ever more apparent how many people need basic-rear end step-by-step guidance through even the simplest political ideas.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 18, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Time Dissolver posted:

I really don't buy episode 7 at all, I mean its heart is in the right place but like the seal episode it was all very "Look at the point we are making, impressive yes? Beep boop topicality"

e: maybe I feel like withdrawing this complaint? Lately it rings hollow to me to consider "preachy" a negative attribute when it's ever more apparent how many people need basic-rear end step-by-step guidance through even the simplest political ideas.

I think it was a very good episode for Diane. It really brought out the central conflict for her and gave her a situation where she'd believably ditch LA and her husband.

Buttttttt yeah, the plot itself wasn't believable at all since we just saw Bill Cosby become a total pariah in the span of about a week.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm on episode 12 and I'm thoroughly depressed :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm just getting into episode 11 and all the hype people have for it has me filled with dread. She has a family, drat. This is going to be a disaster.

Edit Oh goddamnit, she's accommodating despite I think seeing straight through him, this is going to be a disaster.

Edit2: oh goddamnit Bojack no you can't stay! Of course you can't stay! You can't - while I was writing this you stayed there for two months! Goddamnit!

Edit3: Just... Ahhhhhhh what are you doing.

Edit4: Goddamnit I did not expect some American Beauty poo poo.

Edit5: AHHHH

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 18, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's time to get serious about auto-erotic asphyxiation.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Just watched episode 8 and the bit with the owl lady watching the live-feed "According to this thing people are 'losing their tits' oh wait I seem to have wandered onto a breast cancer support forum"

You know when people talk about "ugly crying"? It was like that, but laughing. I think I woke up everyone else in the house.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's time to get serious about auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Spider-Man, because he hangs and shoots his web.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Just finished watched the back half, really enjoyed this seasons- did anyone else think, at the end, that it just... ends? I mean, yeah, the running metaphor for powering through stuff that sucks in order to make it suck less over time works well, and it was cool to think back and go 'ohhh yeah the sight-gag hill-running mountain goat man'- but it felt more like an episode end than a season end to me

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The existential horror of this show is almost too real sometimes. It's amazingly well-observed.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Wow, that ending really resonated with me for some reason. Probably because cardio is the god damned devil

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

This was a really great season all around. Go back and read the MSNBSea scroll at the bottom of the screen, and really read titpuncher if you haven't/didn't when you were watching the first time. It's pretty great.

Fight Club is a good and important movie.

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 18, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Christmas Present posted:

Just finished watched the back half, really enjoyed this seasons- did anyone else think, at the end, that it just... ends? I mean, yeah, the running metaphor for powering through stuff that sucks in order to make it suck less over time works well, and it was cool to think back and go 'ohhh yeah the sight-gag hill-running mountain goat man'- but it felt more like an episode end than a season end to me

Just finished myself and I have to agree, even with episode 11 basically being the emotional climax of the season the same way it was last season, and to great effect, the ending was flat. The running thing had some buildup especially tying into Secretariat himself and his advice to Bojack, but it wasn't an arc like the book last season, it was just a bit.

Secretariat falling apart for Bojack completely kind of took the season plot with it, since it was the organic culmination of the first season's book plotline. There was something cathartic in the idea of broken Bojack making a film about his similarly troubled childhood hero which made the ending to season one work even if it had ended up being the only season, with Bojack looking off into an uncertain future that still has potential. Obvious Bojack doesn't get to have redemption, but without some kind of plot thread dangling the prospect off in the future why does Bojack get out of bed?

It's a similar issue with Charlotte and her family, since along with Herb they're Bojack's unfinished business and biggest regrets. Herb was finished last season, there was no walking that back for Bojack, but Charlotte remaining unresolved left the door open to at least the dream of something positive. Now Bojack probably burned that bridge worse than he did with Herb - there's not really anything left unless Charlotte's daughter runs away from home or her husband finds out what Bojack got up to and divorces her and there's only bad outcomes for those from the getgo.

And Wanda, ouch. She felt a little underutilized but I couldn't tell if that was supposed to be deliberate, the way Bojack started ignoring her and her concerns gradually growing over the season. It's possible she won't be back next season if Bojack's off to New York and depending on how things shake out with Jill Pill, which is a pity. I feel similarly bad for Kelsey, whose abrupt exit was very effective and signaled the death of the Secretariat movie, but who'd brought a lot to the season.

I want to echo the sentiment about Todd that he's sort of gone too far in the wacky direction, even though providing lighter comic-relief C-plots is basically his whole shtick. Todd's whole "I just stopped expecting you to turn into a good person" thing last season felt like a real arc, while this season he was back to normal and the improv cult didn't really go anywhere.

Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane are pretty much the only ray of hope in the whole bleak world. Diane cratering and Mr. Peanutbutter calling her back just the way she dreamed, without question or judgment, because he loves her - that was a very cathartic cap to Diane's struggle with wanting to do more meaningful work and weighing that against her marriage. She does kind of have the same problem that Bojack does now that she's explored all her big-ticket plots though.

That and Princess Carolyn finally scoring a win. That felt huge, like an actual character triumph in a show that prides itself in making the point that characters don't change. So two rays of hope.

So all in all, while episode 11 is great and could stand as its own thing, episodes 10 and 12 just don't give quite as satisfying a conclusion to the season as a whole or set things up for next season quite as well as season 1 did. I enjoyed it, but I don't know if there's another season in it the way they set things up, pretty much all hope for Bojack's snuffed out while some of his friends feel wrapped up. Sorry for the text dump but drat there's just so much to unpack in this show and binging draws this out.

Edit - I wonder what Bojack's friends would make of the events of episode 11, if they knew? Would it just be one more bad thing Bojack had done, or would it go too far even for people accustomed to him?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 18, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Oh hell, episode 11 is going to be a car crash in slow motion.

fake edit: :tviv:

real edit: (Ep. 12)Neither Diane nor Mister Peanutbutter have a spine and they are doomed.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 18, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The beginning of this season blew last season away in terms of comedy, and 10-12 were better dramas than any live action drama I've watched this year :stare:

The cartoon-ized documentary of Will Arnett's life is very good.

Edit: Banners continue to be hilarious.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I think I'd love it if Escape From LA supplanted Jurassic Bark as the byword for strong emotional response to ribald cartoon comedy. I didn't cry but I sure did just about poo poo myself cringing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

Just finished myself and I have to agree, even with episode 11
That and Princess Carolyn finally scoring a win. That felt huge, like an actual character triumph in a show that prides itself in making the point that characters don't change. So two rays of hope.

Princess Carolyn stuff: I really agree. At first I had to wonder about the sudden introduction of Rutabaga and the new dynamic at Vigor, but when it was combined with the Vincent storyline the amount of development and character growth for her was amazing. Super awesome. Good job burning those bridges.

Dolash posted:

Edit - I wonder what Bojack's friends would make of the events of episode 11, if they knew? Would it just be one more bad thing Bojack had done, or would it go too far even for people accustomed to him?

Episode 11: I am sure they would be fiiiiiinnneee with it. After all, 17 is the age of consent in New Mexico and she hadn't drank a drop! Totally legal, which means that it is completely ethical and moral, right? Right? I think what is really telling is what Bojack said to Penny - "You look just like your mother". First he refused her, and made moves on Charlotte, and only after being rejected did he take up Penny on her offer. Its ironic that he told her "You don't know what you want" because he is is the same boat. He has no idea what he wants, much less what he needs, and he continually tries to fill this empty space inside him with phantoms of the past or outright delusions. Penny and Bojack are both looking for something the other cannot give them, and so their attempted tryst is more tragic than it is shocking to the conscience.

Episode 5: I think that Episode 5 might have had the best self-contained gag. The entire sequence with Meow Meow Fuzzyface and his fellow officers trying to decide which cop cliche applied to each other them was funny. I just like it. A lot.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Finished it. Good season. Episode 11 was very depressing. "Elijah Wood" was the funniest thing. So incredibly mean.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

LeJackal posted:

ts ironic that he told her "You don't know what you want" because he is is the same boat.

Ba-dump tsh!

They did a pretty good job of muddying the whole situation up. The way Charlotte encouraged him to stay and definitely had some inappropriate feelings for him, she didn't know what she wanted either. Bojack turned Penny down every time but there was definitely some transference for Bojack from Charlotte to her daughter - at first I was sure they must be messing with us and Charlotte must have misinterpreted, like Penny was just there to talk, like not even Bojack could cross that line. The stuff with Penny's friends and the alcohol was really, really bad and almost seemed to be there just to cut through the ambiguity around his interactions with Charlotte and Penny to remind us in no uncertain terms that Bojack's just broken, awful and selfish.

I think if Bojack's friends saw what happened with him in New Mexico the way we saw it he wouldn't have a friend left, but hearing parts of the story second-hand would probably give them enough distance to shrug it off as just another bad decision. In a different world, Charlotte stayed at Herb's funeral for ten more minutes to chat with Bojack and mentions she's married with kids, and Bojack goes back to Wanda at the end of episode 10.

After sleeping on it, I think the last quarter of the season or so is the issue. Episode 11's great, but it's basically completely self-contained and could've happened at just about any point in the season. Unlike last season's episode 11 it didn't really tie in with the main plot, which in episode 10 sort of falls apart very quickly. Todd joining the improv cult doesn't have as much weight as him figuring out Bojack had sabotaged him, while Bojack and Wanda's breakup feels kind of abrupt and shallow since despite the slow buildup of issues and red flags it just comes down to Bojack suddenly unloading on her being a network exec.

Once Kelsey's fired Bojack just quietly abandons Secretariat and it becomes a day-job, him letting go of the film when he realizes it's neither his acting nor the story he wanted to tell was decent enough but it's ending a core plot thread on a whimper. The season just doesn't really culminate with the finale the way it did last time.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 18, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

Ba-dump tsh!

I couldn't resist.

Dolash posted:

They did a pretty good job of muddying the whole situation up. The way Charlotte encouraged him to stay and definitely had some inappropriate feelings for him, she didn't know what she wanted either. Bojack turned Penny down every time but there was definitely some transference for Bojack from Charlotte to her daughter - at first I was sure they must be messing with us and Charlotte must have misinterpreted, like Penny was just there to talk, like not even Bojack could cross that line. The stuff with Penny's friends and the alcohol was really, really bad and almost seemed to be there just to cut through the ambiguity around his interactions with Charlotte and Penny to remind us in no uncertain terms that Bojack's just broken, awful and selfish.

Episode 11:
As usual, it seems like the show continues to revolve around the notion that nobody really has their head on straight, and everyone has bad decisions/thoughts happening to them. How they deal with that mostly seems to be ignoring the issue and involving themselves in false drama just for the purpose of distracting themselves from the emptiness that they feel inside. Diane's crusade against Harry was all about her feeling unimportant, for example.

Unrelated, but this quote will never stop being relevant.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I kept saying "nonono" over and over at episode 11.

Solid season. 12 episodes felt too short. :(

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The final episode needed another 2-3 minutes, but the follow up to the first season was definitely satisfying. And depressing as gently caress. Still wrapping my head around it.

MC Jigsaw
Aug 1, 2008

Monocles are the staple eyewear of villainy.
I really liked this season.

It didn't hit emotional beats or culminate in the same way season 1 did, but that's ok, because season 2 tells a very different story.

There's a turning point around episode 9 where everything starts to fall apart. There's a general feeling that all the plot threads and character arcs up to this point have been completely meaningless. The way Kelsey and Wanda just kind of disappear, the way Secretariat becomes a shadow of itself, Todd going off to join a weird improv cult, and of course the way Diane sort of just loses all her convictions and identity. It gives the impression that the show has just been meandering up to this point, and the point is hit even harder when Bojack just up and leaves everything to go reconnect with Charlotte.

This was obviously intentional. Season 2 is supposed to be about Bojack trying to better himself, but his attempts in episode 1 are hilariously half-assed. Then he meets Wanda, and we get the sense that maybe things are going somewhere. But he's still the same person, same narcissism, self-loathing, who can't let go of the past. It just takes longer to realize he isn't changing because we're watching him through a different lens: the people, relationships, and circumstances around him are changing but Bojack remains stagnant. And increasingly, we get the sense that all these people and things happening around him are meaningless, giving us a sense of how empty Bojack must feel all the time.

Even when he goes to New Mexico, things feel the same, because the problem is Bojack, not the environment or the people around him. Again, Bojack isn't trying to change himself by reconnecting with Charlotte, he's merely grasping at the past and trying to "hit undo" on his regrets.

For me, the emotional climax of the season is actually the very last line. After Bojack has gone back, and has finally started looking at himself and the people around him, deciding what's important and what isn't, he runs up the hill (not a metaphorical one this time). His first real effort at trying to better himself. "It gets easier," the old monkey(?) tells him, "but you gotta do it every day." And for the first time Bojack decides to put genuine effort into something, after 30+ years of having everything handed to him on a platter and having nothing to show for it. "Okay." It's a huge turning point for his character, probably bigger than anything in season 1.

The B story with Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter complements this nicely, because it gives the sense that while it's important to look at yourself and try to be a better person, it's ok to rely on those around you to help make you better as well. Hollywoo is full of phonies (like J.D. Salinger) and phony relationships (like Princess Caroline and Rutabaga (or Vincent Adultman)), so when there's someone in your life you genuinely care about and who genuinely cares about you, it's important to cherish that relationship.

At least that's the impression I got. I obviously still need time to digest things. And there's probably a hundred sight gags I missed.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Episode 11: My interpretation of what happened is that Bojack, once he found out that Charlotte was married and had a family, had a bit of a breakdown and reverted to his sitcom origins. He became the Uncle Joey to Charlotte's Full House, or the Cody to her Step by Step, more accurately. He used that feeling to escape reality for a while until reality came back at him in a big way with Penny coming on to him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That second episode was great, Lisa Kudrow is great.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Victorkm posted:

Episode 11: My interpretation of what happened is that Bojack, once he found out that Charlotte was married and had a family, had a bit of a breakdown and reverted to his sitcom origins. He became the Uncle Joey to Charlotte's Full House, or the Cody to her Step by Step, more accurately. He used that feeling to escape reality for a while until reality came back at him in a big way with Penny coming on to him.

Man the weirdest thing about episode 11 to me is until that point, Charlotte was more of an idea than a person, as she was in season 1's episode 11 as a representation of the dream "other life" Bojack could've had. That she went on to have a family of her own isn't too surprising, but the way she reacted to Bojack was - inviting him to stay is such a strange move, what was she thinking there? She must've seen through the boat show thing. By the time of the prom she was leaning on him more than her husband, and then their talk in the backyard, she's got this whole unexplored character and life we only saw a bit of. Was she unhappy with Kyle? Nostalgic for her free youth? Did she really have strong feelings for Bojack that'd persisted all this time?

It feels like Charlotte and Bojack must be completely finished now, but I really want to see some kind of follow-up. I want to see how Charlotte's family recovers from their brush with Bojack, and better understand why Charlotte in particular did what she did. I could watch a whole episode without Bojack just dealing with the fallout there, but otherwise some plotline about Penny running away from home or Charlotte getting divorced (the only reasons I can imagine for her reentering Bojack's life at all) would be interesting.

Edit: Or that girl who got alcohol poisoning dies and the family sues but that might be a little too dark even for this show.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 18, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay fine this season is really really good and definitely a lot funnier. I'm really happy it became the show I knew it had the potential to be.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I enjoyed this season a lot. They pushed a lot of the comedy to the background (especially visual gags) and I think it makes the dialogue a lot stronger. They're leas self-conscious about the jokes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Man the weirdest thing about episode 11 to me is

I can see Penny showing up in LA a couple seasons from now.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm not really relishing at this point the idea of another season. I'm imagining like the talking animal cartoon equivalent of Funky Winkerbean interspersed with Todd doing wacky stuff five minutes out of each episode. And if the matter of Charlotte and her family really is wrapped up then the show's lost something that's sustained it since the beginning of its shift in tone and I see nowhere useful to go with Bojack's story except for him to "die alone, unmourned and unloved" like Cerebus the Aardvark.

What I'm saying is Jill Pill better take this show to the next level, whatever that means.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 18, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So a parallel from the episode 11s, at the start of Bojack's fantasy he's working outside and Charlotte calls "Bojack, supper's ready!" from the house. After the two-month cut he's on his boat and Charlotte does the same thing from her house. Also, this:
http://i.imgur.com/l5By7MK.png

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, I'm gonna edit my posts in a second, but I just wanted to give you a heads up: I made a mistake doing the math on the spoiler rules. 72 hours is up on MONDAY morning, not tomorrow morning. So keep things tagged until then.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I enjoyed this season a lot. They pushed a lot of the comedy to the background (especially visual gags) and I think it makes the dialogue a lot stronger. They're leas self-conscious about the jokes.

My favorite background gag about ANIMALS being PEOPLE was in episode 11. In New Mexico, a road runner jogs by in the background, followed shortly by a jogging coyote.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Holy poo poo episode 11. Oh my goooooood. This show is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished up the season myself. Trying to collect my thoughts. I liked that the (EP 12) reoccurring establishing shot of the guy running outside Bojack's house had a payoff, I thought it was just a gag about how TV shows use the same exterior shots again and again. Instead it was a metaphor!

Episode 11 was a punch straight to the heart, even if everyone saw it coming--but that's the point. Bojack is Bojack, there's no other way that could have ended.

One question--I get that (EP 12) they used CGI to essentially make Secretariat into a new movie, but where did the new dialog come from? I honestly expected them to make a joke about how they hired some voice actor named Whale Arnett to record the new lines.

...I'm not actually seriously asking that question, I just wanted to make a "Whale Arnett" joke.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 19, 2015