Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The problem I ran into was if you delete your navy, France won't ally you due to to Scottish navy strength modifier on the opinion before England says "aha, weak military" and DoWs you. If you just kill your maintenance you can survive on your starting gold long enough to improve relations and ally France which keeps England off your back for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IMO keep your boats around for opportunistic wars against like, Brittany or Denmark or something. Also it only takes one war to make the English weak since the Scotland buffs so you'll be needing those boats pretty soon anyway.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

They're guaranteeing your independence. You don't need to ally them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm not sure what happened in the first game then, England declared war on me 4 years into the game and France didn't respond. If they revoked it for some reason I must have missed it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Were they getting super screwed over in another war?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

The problem I ran into was if you delete your navy, France won't ally you due to to Scottish navy strength modifier on the opinion before England says "aha, weak military" and DoWs you. If you just kill your maintenance you can survive on your starting gold long enough to improve relations and ally France which keeps England off your back for a little while.

Do you get the same penalty if you just mothball the fleet?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TTBF posted:

They're guaranteeing your independence. You don't need to ally them.

This is good advice. If you ally France, you'll get called into war against England as soon as France inevitably decides to retake the continental provinces. On the other hand if you just hang out being guaranteed, the ball's in your court (to wait until England ships all their troops to the continent to fight France, then you pour across the border and siege everything down before England can mount a response).

effsea
Apr 1, 2013
In the EU4 forum there's a thread about how sliders are better than the ideas system or something. It makes me irrationally angry, mainly because everyone there doesn't understand what an opportunity cost is and ignore and down-vote everything that explains what it is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ideas system is cool but monarch points being used for tech and ideas and development and leaders makes them get stretched pretty thin and it can be annoying rather than strategic sometimes. But hey whatever.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

effsea posted:

In the EU4 forum there's a thread about how sliders are better than the ideas system or something. It makes me irrationally angry, mainly because everyone there doesn't understand what an opportunity cost is and ignore and down-vote everything that explains what it is.

Whenever I get linked to some exceedingly stupid thread on the Paradox forums, I just turn on the dev tracker to read Wiz' or Johan's replies. Makes for much better reading.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Larry Parrish posted:

Ideas system is cool but monarch points being used for tech and ideas and development and leaders makes them get stretched pretty thin and it can be annoying rather than strategic sometimes. But hey whatever.

I think the biggest problem with points is admin, honestly. (Or, another view may be that admin points are the only ones working correctly) While Diplo theoretically is limited by peace deals and diplo-annexing, in practice due to other territory-grab limiters such as diplo rep and aggressive expansion, you always have a glut of them. Military points are heavily underused, the things they're used for are either rare or inexpensive, so you end up with a ton.

Admin is the biggest limiting factor. I always feel like by midgame I'm behind on admin due to all the things it's used for. Perhaps more importantly, admin points are used for the most "urgent" things like reducing overextension and stability. I also feel like it possibly has more events than the others, but most disasters definitely cost more admin points due to the stability cost modifier and associated stab requirement they usually come with.

I'm really not sure whether I feel admin is the best or worst on balance. On one hand, you have to make tough decisions with them. On the other hand, I feel like I'm behind on admin more than everything else.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Poil posted:

In my Ternate game I invaded a Muslim country in south east Asia and they brought in the defender of the faith, a large nation in northern India (go ahead and ask what their religious unity was like :v:'). They couldn't reach me at all because of Bengal and Dehliblocking them from reaching the rest of the continent and both were their rivals so they couldn't get military access. Completely pointless.

Defender of the Faith should not exist.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

PleasingFungus posted:

Or should only exist for protestant/reformed countries.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

dei gratia decided this.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
How about "offender of the faith" where you're forced to send a diplomatic insult to every country of a different religion?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Or should only exist for protestant/reformed countries.

This could be worked around by having large countries be more willing to guarantee independence of small religious friends and protect them without having a dumb "France will defend every Catholic in the entire world from literally anyone" mechanism.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

How about "offender of the faith" where you're forced to send a diplomatic insult to every country of a different religion?
I already do that whenever my diplomats aren't doing anything useful.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

TTBF posted:

Were they getting super screwed over in another war?

Aha, they were somehow dragged into a continent-wide war in 1445 against Aragon, Naples, the Pope, and Portugal. Scotland would not be a priority for them.

And then when I declared war on England after they had a big negative warscore against France, I saw the reason why: They kept their entire army in England, completely ignoring France besieging their continental holdings :psyduck:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 18, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Luigi Thirty posted:

They kept their entire army in England, completely ignoring France besieging their continental holdings :psyduck:

The AI isn't exactly known for being able to intelligently move troops by sea, if at all.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015

effsea posted:

You should know better than to use that forum for anything other than mods :commissar:

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Silly question :with universities now providing a 20% local development cost buff:

Does it mean local as in THAT ONE PROVINCE gets a 20% cost reduction, or local as in all local provinces.

If the second, do they stack?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Thunder Moose posted:

Silly question :with universities now providing a 20% local development cost buff:

Does it mean local as in THAT ONE PROVINCE gets a 20% cost reduction, or local as in all local provinces.

If the second, do they stack?

Former.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I really would like to mod that somehow so it's that province and the adjacent ones at least. Same with the cathedral's missionary strength bonus...actually more-so with the cathedral as who's plopping down s 400 ducat building in a place where you're seriously worried about religious uprisings.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I really would like to mod that somehow so it's that province and the adjacent ones at least. Same with the cathedral's missionary strength bonus...actually more-so with the cathedral as who's plopping down s 400 ducat building in a place where you're seriously worried about religious uprisings.

I think the point of it is a boost so you can more easily convert religious centers without religious ideas

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Donald Duck posted:

I think the point of it is a boost so you can more easily convert religious centers without religious ideas

Still seems like a really niche building to drop 400 ducats on or whatever it's at.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is AE totally borked in the new update? I can't take a single HRE province as Palatinate without my AE skyrocketing and coalitions form against me while Cologne waltzes around gobbling up OPMs with no penalties at all.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Is AE totally borked in the new update? I can't take a single HRE province as Palatinate without my AE skyrocketing and coalitions form against me while Cologne waltzes around gobbling up OPMs with no penalties at all.

I'm assuming I'm still on 1.12 and it seems pretty messed up to me. The Ottomans just ate 2.3rds of the Mamluks and their AE is at 8.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

AE in the empire is doubled as of Art of War. It's made my new Holland run... interesting. Once you get the rhythm of disrupting the coalitions down every ten or fifteen years, it's not so bad. The influence group helps. So does the Diplomat adviser (the better relations over time bonus helps AE tick down faster). Once the coalitions start, I found it helps to use them to grab another claim. After all, everyone who wants to coalition you just tried and failed. Who is going to stop you?

Also, team up with France/the Commonwealth and let them do most of the dying.

I haven't noticed the AI getting any help with AE. Ansbach ate Bavaria and the Palatinate somehow, and was partitioned by the rest of the empire a few years later.

The Ottomans have the advantage of being able to conquer different cultural groups, who all take AE at different rates, so it's hard to judge by them.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a mod that gets rid of the 'imperialism' war cause for AI nations? I'd be happy if it actually used it to do imperial actions- but the number of imperial wars that end with war reparations and nothing more is really annoying.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I haven't played around with England's AI at all yet in Common Sense, but does it still have the problem of never being able to leverage it's army and navy well? I seemed to only ever get 5k stacks of English or British troops joining my continental wars at any time in previous runs and despite their naval superiority they somehow have never managed to properly blockade France, Germany, Spain, Portugal or anyone. Have I been unlucky, or should I just never ally England despite their resources on paper?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Trundel posted:

I haven't played around with England's AI at all yet in Common Sense, but does it still have the problem of never being able to leverage it's army and navy well? I seemed to only ever get 5k stacks of English or British troops joining my continental wars at any time in previous runs and despite their naval superiority they somehow have never managed to properly blockade France, Germany, Spain, Portugal or anyone. Have I been unlucky, or should I just never ally England despite their resources on paper?

I feel like they are a lot better at it now, but it seems like it takes at least 5 years into a war before I notice one of their armies makes it off the island. I would just try and ally someone else. Ally France. France is the best ally (if you're in Europe).

One bug I have noticed is that if the AI is moving troops from a ship to land, it won't retreat from a naval battle. It just sits there and gets destroyed, even if enough time has passed for it to retreat.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
My Tabarestan start is going pretty well...

I didn't get to ally anyone off the bat, but the Timurids ended up in a bad place and I got 3 whole provinces out of them with 40% warscore. They built their army back up and were about to crush me so I had to peace out. Luckily I took long enough that the Persian Separatists that were running around started flipping provinces to my released Persia. I don't quite understand why Persia gets a huge +Liberty Desire penalty every time a province flips to them from Timurids as "Events and Liberated Provinces". They were pegged at 100% for the longest time and are just now under. I kept truces going with my neighbors so they havent had anyone support their independence but its annoying having them not help in wars when they would be at <10% without that modifier.

Oh and this is going to make getting Egypt/Anatolia/Greece somewhat more interesting...

QQ got in a dumb war with the Ottomans early and that left them weak enough for the Mamluks to take advantage. I got Mamluks as an ally a little while ago and we just beat off a Castile/Naples/Austria holy war. Bohemia got the Burgundian Inheritance. AQ revolted against overlord QQ and took most of their land.

Oh and I took quantity first because I got a replacement 6MIL heir off the bat and I couldn't stand being behind in Admin/Dip while dealing with Persia revolting. And because its the best. About to complete the tree and have a 40+ Force Limit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Man I wish I could have your OE in my Persia game, they've conquered most of the Mamluks already and it's like 1490. And they already hate me.

On the plus side my Timurids were hilariously ineffective and I got all of the provinces needed for Persia in a single war, plus all of Khorasan got released by rebels which I promptly annexed 80% of in a single reconquest war :v:

Sacrilicious
Apr 1, 2001

i luv crabrock <3
I'm also in the middle of a Tabarestan -> Persia run right now, managed to get Shahanshah yesterday using the dip rep adviser -> suck up to QQ -> ally QQ -> vassalize Shirvan -> beat up Timurids until bigger -> backstab QQ method posted earlier in the thread. Took a few retries but I was consistently surprised by what a paper tiger Timmy turns out to be in this start, their AI seems to prioritize India at the start of the game but even absent that they explode into rebels pretty reliably, their rebels were generally a bigger problem for me than they were. Had to restart one run when I was getting too greedy trying to grab more war score when Persian separatists enforced and got all the Persian cores I'd occupied. Also I don't know how much you can rely on this in general but in my game the Ottomans rivaled Timurids and would give me a bunch of subsidies every time I went to war with them, so that was cool.

What do you guys think about best idea sets for going for This is Persia? I already got Admin as my first idea because its just such a no brainer these days, even if I want to do something different I usually see the two merc cost ideas and the coring cost idea right out front and just can't resist. For second idea I was thinking either Quantity or a Dip idea depending on my MP situation. I was thinking of Influence for the Dip idea since I have a lot of opportunities for vassal expansion, but is Trade any good? I usually don't use that group very much but Persia seems in a good situation to take advantage of it, particularly if I started expanding East, and I'm kind of tired of getting Influence almost every game (Diplomatic doesn't seem to offer a lot for Persia). Three more merchants shoveling ducats into Persia node sounds pretty nice right now but realistically I'm not sure if it will help me early as much as Influence will.

Military ideas are pretty straightforward, Quantity first and then maybe Defensive for all the morale stacking from Traditions + Piety + Shia and the great Army Trad bonus. But what about a second Admin idea? I'm thinking I should definitely go either Religious or Humanist but it's a really tough choice, Religious gives a great CB on all the surrounding Sunnis in the area (and of course eventually the Ottomans, who in 1519 just finished eating all the Mamluks' non-African provinces and are probably going to swallow Egypt as soon as the truce is up) and gives all the conversion bonuses, but Humanist will help me accept all these minor cultures in Eastern Persia/Central Asia/India if I expand more over there.

Sacrilicious fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 19, 2015

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

PrinceRandom posted:

Ask Mexico about how breaking bread over being Independence buddies went

I know only American history matters most, but in South America, continental unity was a pretty major force during the latin revolutions.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Colonial nations really love the idea of invading Indonesia and India, it seems :(

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Contrecoup posted:

I know only American history matters most, but in South America, continental unity was a pretty major force during the latin revolutions.

Wasn't there still a fair amount of rivalry and non-cooperation after independence, though? That seemed to be what PrinceRandom was getting at.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Sacrilicious posted:

their rebels were generally a bigger problem for me than they were.

I had to quickly sneak in a support for rebels a few times as they marched on my one province after I released Persia as a vassal. It was something like 14 ducats a month but I didn't have to keep it long and it was better than losing my one province. No idea what would have happened if they enforced on me... Would I get annexed?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Started my second ironman game after a Portugal run kinda bogged down in peaceful colonization/tedious Asian land wars (got the No Pirates cheevo tho).

So hey, why not try Brandenburg and have coolass European conflicts all the time?? 5 years in, the Burgundian succession fires and Austria inherits it all :stare: Already shaping up to be a corker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
As Poland, I'm guessing I should form the Commonwealth ASAP?

• Locked thread