Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It would certainly negate a lot of "the pitch was just too easy to bat on". I don't think Smith will actually get to bat again though. Rogers and Warner get their tons, declare at 500 ahead having given their bowlers a night's sleep and most of two sessions to recover.

England then play like idiots, job's done before close of play. The potentially dangerous weather on Monday never comes into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Did anyone see Nasser analysing Gary Ballance's technique before play? "There aren't many number 3s in world cricket who can't play both the short ball and the full ball". Ouch lol.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

runoverbobby posted:

I understand the sentiment but still think the follow-on is a better means because it gives the opportunity to win by an innings.

The problem always with a follow-on is making your quicks bowl for two+ days, and unless you've got a top class spinner in your side you're just asking for trouble.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yeah it wasn't for strategic reasons that they didn't enforce the follow-on, was purely about testing the bowlers.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

runoverbobby posted:

I understand the sentiment but still think the follow-on is a better means because it gives the opportunity to win by an innings.

The pitch is flat as a pancake. Clarke is worried about bowling his quicks to death. Also Australians are psychologically damaged by the follow on.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Everyone is these days. They'd rather take the 10% chance of a draw than the 1% chance of a loss heard throughout the ages

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
If it were the last test of the series they might've.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The bowlers should have been ok if Starc wasn't complaining about anything specific. They could have been fresher if Marsh had been bowled more.

Was still never going to happen, but it could probably have been done.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

runoverbobby posted:

i think Australia were stupid not to enforce the follow-on because this is an easy pitch to block on for 150 overs and England are much less likely to throw away early wickets if they know it's impossible to chase.
They'd already bowled 90 overs - if England did end up batting for another 150 that's 240 overs and a bunch of ruined bowlers with three tests to play

Lionel Richie posted:

Did anyone see Nasser analysing Gary Ballance's technique before play? "There aren't many number 3s in world cricket who can't play both the short ball and the full ball". Ouch lol.
drat that is a shellacking. Any vision of this anywhere?

Lionel Richie posted:

Everyone is these days. They'd rather take the 10% chance of a draw than the 1% chance of a loss heard throughout the ages
Nah mate I'm sure Clarkey's prepared to lose to win

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

:captainpop:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lmao.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The whole concept of Shane Watson has got to be an elaborate parody, right?

Also whichever conditioning trainers Cricket Australia have who allowed him to bulk up like a League backrower when he's supposed to bowl 140km for them should be fired.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Ooh, same resolution as my monitor. *sets as wallpaper*

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

It's English summer he might catch a cold :ohdear:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

Tests are played at a quicker clip now days to fit in a million pointless odi and t20 games. So captains need to be more mindful of a bowlers workload over a series.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
He really is a fridge. What happened to his waist?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

:gizz:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Was Watto passed out inside someone's kit bag or something?

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
naked-watson.jpg

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

It's going to rain all day isn't it?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
It was nice to see an Australian allrounder take wickets for a change (big ones at that), and Nevill looks good. Feels nice to have a few young players performing well among old pros, it must be a great learning experience for them.

Also:

-Spiffy- posted:

He really is a fridge

If I'm not misremembering, his run of good form/lack of injuries in '10-'11 came at the same time he realized that being so big and heavy was pouring stress on his joints and hamstrings (there was an article where he talked about it, I think), so he stopped doing it. Lo and behold, his body stopped breaking down for a while. Most quicks are pretty lithe, aren't they? Rhino was an exception, but of course he was pretty injury-prone too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Airstream Driver posted:

It's going to rain all day isn't it?

Not today, Monday morning is looking marginal. As it stands if Australia bat to lunch, England will have 4 and a bit sessions to survive.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
It's nice and sunny here in London today - there may be some slowness in the ground this morning, but that will clear as the day wares on. No sign of it raining again. Monday on the other hand... could be a delay in the morning.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Speaking as someone with pretty dodgy knees and ankles, this almost makes me feel sorry for the guy. Can you imagine bowling even 10 overs with a body like that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Still B.A.E posted:

Speaking as someone with pretty dodgy knees and ankles, this almost makes me feel sorry for the guy. Can you imagine bowling even 10 overs with a body like that?

Speaking as someone with a titanium ankle and medically tested dodgy knees, I'm sure I'd have no problem doing that for 4 million a year.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Anyone else unable to access the cricket.com.au stream?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I like the fact that channel 9 played some little package about Warner and Rogers being the "Best of Enemies". Wasn't the UK press trying to beat that up for some reason recently?

Team Warner for life :c00lbert:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
As someone who doesn't look like an underwear model I'd rather have wattos body than boonies

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
gently caress me, that's a 4th day pitch? Looks more like 2nd session first day.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Rogers is dying of old age

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Speaking as someone with a titanium ankle and medically tested dodgy knees, I'm sure I'd have no problem doing that for 4 million a year.

Congrats on being a broken piece of crap.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Rogers looks sick

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Fuuuuucking hell he's not looking good :(

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

gently caress that's concerning

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
turn left buck noo

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Well this is loving scary. I hope Buck's ok.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Hopefully it isn't second impact syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
drat, hope Rogers is okay. Thank gently caress Warne isn't in the box or he'd be making some flip remark about how much he was wobbling last night from getting shitfaced.