Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
So how do you explain my former farm cat Ozma not having the slightest interest in going outside, even ignoring the open door to go into the other room and sit on her cat tree? Cats can adapt if their environment is suitably stimulating for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Huntersoninski posted:

So how do you explain my former farm cat Ozma not having the slightest interest in going outside, even ignoring the open door to go into the other room and sit on her cat tree? Cats can adapt if their environment is suitably stimulating for them.

Maybe because they're different cats? Much the same way that both my cats don't like the same toys and have two completely different personalities?

For example, my oldest Nookie who is approximately 14 years old. She has never, ever cared for lazer pointers. Its just not her thing. But if you give her a cardbox, she will shred that thing like she has a grudge. She also likes things on a string and will chase those for a while.

Her son, Ti-Gars goes nuts over lazer pointers for a good 10 minutes. He loves that thing. Things of a string? not so much. The first time I brought one, he was scared of it and just hid or hissed at it. Now he doesn't care about it at all. Trying to play with him using that thing seems to annoy him more than anything.

Both love hair elastic for some reason. I've bought them a lot of toys over the years and know what they like or don't. I play with them a bit every day, and in turn they also play with the dog. In the end, both were used to go outside since a young age, and both definitely want to go back. Sometimes, all they do is lay down in the sun and roll around.

Back when I used to let them out, they would tend to follow me around while I was walking the dog. It was the weirdest thing.

I just don't believe the idea that cats don't care about the outside.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Drythe posted:

They don't miss outdoors, they miss having something to do. Play with your cats more.
I guess you missed this part

Tamarillo posted:

I ignore their drama and tire them out with playing but they still sulk by the door sometimes and get very animated if it looks like someone will open it.

These cats get a lot of Da Bird time, one loves laser pointers, there's a lot of chasing each other and the dog around and a lot of attention. I'm not saying them hanging out by the door is a big deal because it isn't, but the heaps of play doesn't completely quash their desire to hang out outside - even if all they actually want to do at the time is lie down on the lawn, not chase stuff.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
E: not worth it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It looks like people are talking at cross-purposes here. No one's saying that cats can't be perfectly happy as indoor animals or that if they are pining for the outside, their owners should give in to that pining and let them out. The "he doesn't like it when I say no to him" thing is in fact pretty accurate. Kids don't like it when you say no to them, especially if you're suddenly changing an already-established rule. It's still good parenting to say no to them despite them not liking it, but no one's going to suggest that they don't mind. It's equally absurd to claim that all cats who have been allowed outside but are now not allowed outside won't miss going outside. Sure, some adjust faster than others, but of course they're going to want to keep doing it. Outside is full of awesome things! That doesn't mean that they have to actually be let outside instead of distracted with inside toys and playing.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Huntersoninski posted:

No idea but did you name your cat after an SA forums moderator

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well a jar of poop has been dropped off at the vet cos we've NEVER seen a "Sticks and rocks" poop out of Isaac, yet, its all been degrees of squidgy ranging from "Spraypaint" to "Mcdonalds soft serve"

Time to see whats growing in his butt, or whether its IBS. Please just be bum bugs...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

This is just complete bullshit and you do not know what you are talking about. Both my cats were used to go outside and now they can't. Not only do they spend an awful lot of time in front of the door, they are literally trying to claw underneath it in order to go out. They've completely ripped off the insulation and damaged the door itself. We also can't open the door without having them run and try to sneak out. They are actively trying to go out.

This whole idea that cats do not miss going outside if completely ridiculous. That is just feel good idealism to make you feel better about keeping an animal indoor.

Play with your cat you tool, lmao.

"Hey guys I took away all stimulation and ignore my pet? Wtf is wrong with it??!?!"

Tamarillo posted:

Agree with the more dangerous line, but dude during winter when I don't let them outside very often my indoor/outdoor cats both sit at the catdoor making stupid dying noises and otherwise making it emphatically clear when they would rather be outside. I ignore their drama and tire them out with playing but they still sulk by the door sometimes and get very animated if it looks like someone will open it.

None of that should really affect the decision because you can still shut them inside of course. They can suck it up.

This is the right thing, but if you just stop letting them out 9 / 12 months of the year, they get used too it. Cats take a while to adjust to anything. It took my cat like 3 months to adjust to it's litter box being moved, or it's food bowl, but once it realizes "oh hey, that's not happening anymore," it just chills out. They adjust and they learn.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 18, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Why am I subscribed to this thread? Anyway, my 2 GBS cents: One obvious and not... easily replaceable thing my cat misses is the smells. In the summer I often have a window open a crack and my cat sits in front of it smelling. And, you know, the sense of smell is important to keep even humans sane, and in an average home I don't think there's usually a lot of variation in this department.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Puppy Galaxy posted:

No idea but did you name your cat after an SA forums moderator

Ozma is a literary character, from Baum's Oz books, which I loved as a kid. The mod probably named herself after the same character.

E: or maybe she really likes the band, idk

E2: so no I didn't name her for the mod, I didn't actually remember there was a mod Ozma when I was naming my cat, I was thinking of the fairy princess of Oz from one of my favorite childhood books/movie.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 18, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah. Ozma was a farm cat before I took her in. She was antsy and destructive for the first month-ish I took her in, but mysteriously chilled out when I built up a decent stock of stuff for her to climb, boxes and cubes for her to hide in, toys I could entertain her with, and toys that she could play with by herself when I wasn't around (and another cat to be her buddy).

e: neither she nor Pizza have any interest in going outside

Pizza is a Good cat name

My old cat, Shelley, was obsessed with going outside. She was not super interested in playing, whether it be self-directed or with a person. Got another cat. Interest in going outside waned severely. The second cat escaped twice; both times, he fell asleep a foot outside the door, and was reluctant to go anywhere else. After he passed, we took Shelley on regular walks and that seemed to satisfy her until we got another cat later on.

I would just sort of disagree with the idea that cats "miss" anything because they have brains the size of walnuts, and the idea that they pine over a different time just seems sort of unreasonable to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cash crab posted:

I would just sort of disagree with the idea that cats "miss" anything because they have brains the size of walnuts, and the idea that they pine over a different time just seems sort of unreasonable to me.

Yeah. Dalael is a noted shithead from other forums on SA, and I'm not surprised that he neglects his pets, too.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

cash crab posted:

"Pining" and "missing" might be a bit anthropomorphic, true. What I mean if I say that is that cats know where stuff is in space. They know where their litter box is, they know where they get food from, and if they've been outside they know that through That Door is a wonderful place full of interesting smells and things to rub against and creatures to chase. So if they can't get through the door to get to the nice place, they get mad about it until they get used to the new regime. Some cats get used to it sooner than others and I can believe that some cats don't get over it for a long time. That doesn't mean that they should be let outside, it just means it seems reasonable that they're unhappy about not being let out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cured my cat of the desire to go outside by going out, then putting on a mask before coming home.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I showed my cats a picture of Obama and now they'll just stare at an open door

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Actually, just to continue the rant, I'm going to suggest that people who think their cats have some deep-seated desire to roam the outdoors that cannot be abated by like, paying attention to them and giving them toys/attention are usually the same people who won't get their cat fixed because they secretly associate their cat's fertility to their own. "I can't get Pickles neutered, he will be less of a man :( Where will his ego come from without his little fuzzy dongles, tell me"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cash crab posted:

Actually, just to continue the rant, I'm going to suggest that people who think their cats have some deep-seated desire to roam the outdoors that cannot be abated by like, paying attention to them and giving them toys/attention are usually the same people who won't get their cat fixed because they secretly associate their cat's fertility to their own. "I can't get Pickles neutered, he will be less of a man :( Where will his ego come from without his little fuzzy dongles, tell me"

This is getting a bit ad hominem. You don't need to demonize people you disagree with.

We have three cats. One essentially lives outdoors during the summer. She spends most of the day sitting at the open garage door, watching and smelling all the stuff. She does not hunt or roam, just enjoys being outside.

Our other two cats are free to go outside whenever they want to, but almost never do. They prefer to hang out in the house.

Cats have different personalities. Some are absolutely apeshit about being outside, others don't really care. Most can be trained to be content indoors, but not all.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

cash crab posted:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

This is getting a bit ad hominem. You don't need to demonize people you disagree with.

We have three cats. One essentially lives outdoors during the summer. She spends most of the day sitting at the open garage door, watching and smelling all the stuff. She does not hunt or roam, just enjoys being outside.

Our other two cats are free to go outside whenever they want to, but almost never do. They prefer to hang out in the house.

Cats have different personalities. Some are absolutely apeshit about being outside, others don't really care. Most can be trained to be content indoors, but not all.

Ad hominem would suggest that I am directing an insult at a person during a pertinent argument, which I am not. That expression cannot be applied to me simply mocking unnamed people who are absurd, unless you're personally identifying with the statement, in which case, I am sorry. I guess.

Don't accuse me of using a logical fallacy if you're going to cite anecdotal evidence for why letting cats out is okay. Just because your cats don't pass certain areas doesn't mean that there are not people who just let their cats out and sort of forget about them.

Also, gently caress that. I will gladly demonize idiots who can't be arsed to fix their pets or make sure they're safe. gently caress those people. They shouldn't be allowed to have cats.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Eh, if you live out in the country (like out in the proper countryside, not suburbia) and there's no traffic and no predators, letting a cat go outside is probably okay. The family cat goes outside (though he never leaves the cul-de-sac from what I can tell) because he has a habit of peeing on things if he doesn't get his way.

And this isn't a matter of just tiring him out with playing and whatnot, he pees on things when his routine is disrupted.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I don't want to turn this into a thing, but what the gently caress kind of countryside are you living in that doesn't have predators? I grew up in Alberta, and we still had coyotes and deer ready to gently caress up cats, not to mention people out in the sticks complaining about wolves and poo poo eating their cats.

VVV: There's no animals in Europe, theory confirmed

cash crab fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 19, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm in Europe.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Where in Europe are you where the wilderness isn't crawling with foxes and wolves and bears?

I live in Iceland where hardly any animals live and even we have foxes and minks.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What about the moon

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

Where in Europe are you where the wilderness isn't crawling with foxes and wolves and bears?

I live in Iceland where hardly any animals live and even we have foxes and minks.

I dunno, we're in the Rhine valley in Germany and I've never so much as heard a fox, never mind seen one. I don't think we have wolves or bears either.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Drythe posted:

What about the moon

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the other hand, cats are vicious predators themselves who do horrible things to local bird and small animal populations. Don't let your cat outside.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I don't care what people do, but when whatever bad poo poo happens to your outside cat, you get no condolences from me. It's a risk you are choosing to take (for your cat).

In the hopes of shutting up you nerds, I'm gonna photo dump my cats. :toot:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Any of those automated cat litter boxes actually worth a drat?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Xpost from the PYF cat pictures thread:

Meet our new kitten Loki! He has certainly turned into a mischievous little poo poo, so it may have been a self fulfilling prophecy.

We've had him for about 5 days confined away from our doggy, letting them get used to each other's smells. Our dog is a bit of a bully breed, but is only curious of cats, never aggressive. Any tips before we start the introduction in a few days or so?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

ryan_woody posted:

Meet our new kitten Loki! He has certainly turned into a mischievous little poo poo, so it may have been a self fulfilling prophecy.

We've had him for about 5 days confined away from our doggy, letting them get used to each other's smells. Our dog is a bit of a bully breed, but is only curious of cats, never aggressive. Any tips before we start the introduction in a few days or so?

Yes. Do me a favor:
Scritch and squish his face through your hands like he's getting borned and end with ear tugs. That's what that cat needs.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Hi cat thread. Here's twin sisters Keke and Luna. We just got them today. One hasn't left the cat tower, the other explored a bit and now they're in an adorable cat pile. Prepare to get some questions from us.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

you could shrink the image slightly...

I've shot enough feral cats over the years to NEVER let either of mine outside. Tho i think i cured one of them of any desire last night when it was -2, the frost was heavy and he wanted to see what was past the doorway, so i picked her up, held her tight and touched her feet to the frozen grass.

Doesnt want to go near the door now :D

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Any of those automated cat litter boxes actually worth a drat?

Litter Robot

It's very expensive

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Arriviste posted:

Yes. Do me a favor:
Scritch and squish his face through your hands like he's getting borned and end with ear tugs. That's what that cat needs.

That might be the most adorable thing I've ever heard. He will be getting borned again tonight :3:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

ryan_woody posted:

:3: I love his little triangle head. Anyway, intros: I find taking a whole couple of hours to monitor them during the really exciting phases to be best.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Drythe posted:

Litter Robot

It's very expensive

It's so worth it though.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Huge thank you to the op and it's first sentences. My one year old Raz was blocked in his little cat penis and we took him immediately to the hospital.

They were able to catheter him immediately and he's being observed overnight.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yaaaay... BOTH cats have squirty bum now... Sigh.

Gotta wait for the vet to get the results of Isaacs poop sample back and go from there, but it's a pretty good bet that smudge has whatever Isaac has now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What a fitting name