Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

raditts posted:

I bought it a week or two ago when newegg had it on sale for 30 bux, and played it for the first time tonight. My only prior experience with Mario Party is the DS and 3DS versions but I thought it was fun enough, and my 5 and 6 year olds loved it. I don't get why people sperg out about the whole car thing, I don't mind it. Bowser Party is lots of fun too.

Maybe the real issue is that there's no way it'll live up to the Mario Party they played when they were 6.

Looks like you are also missing Wii Party U.

Mario Party 2 and 3 are the Real poo poo and while other games in the series are still fine, they just don't quite hold up, even today. I'd rather hook up an N64 and play a round of Horror Land in MP2 than play on some stupid car poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Takeda's eulogy at Iwata's funeral yesterday:

quote:

As we gather here today for a joint funeral with Nintendo Co., Ltd. and Mr. Iwata’s family, I would like to share my heartfelt condolences. President Iwata, allow me to call you Iwata-san, just as I always used to.

Iwata-san, you left us far too soon. Having just chaired our shareholders’ meeting the other day on June 26, the news of your sudden death has left all the employees overcome with a deep sorrow. The late Yamauchi-san passed the baton to you in naming you the president of Nintendo in 2002, and the two Senior Managing Directors of the company, Shigeru Miyamoto and I, have been assisting and working alongside you. Being rather short-tempered myself, the thing that I am most deeply struck by is that you were a true leader in every sense of the word, overflowing with compassion for people. You always maintained a two-way dialogue, even with the next generation of employees, or with much younger members of the development and marketing teams, or with employees outside of Japan whose different customs and cultures can make communication challenging — sometimes even admitting your own mistakes to them. You demonstrated this through your belief that people could eventually come to understand one another, and your strong conviction that the best way for us to grow is through patient communication, even if it took several times, a dozen times or even seemingly endless discussion.

You succeeded in planting the seed in employees’ hearts that, in order to solve an issue, there is a fundamental cycle whereby you make a hypothesis, execute the plan, see the result and then make adjustments, and by which you have caringly nurtured these seeds to sprout and mature into plants.

Until now, our successors and the younger generation would take a few first steps and then look back at you for guidance because they could not tell if they had chosen the right path. Today they cannot ask for your guidance anymore.

However, I am sure that they have already made the firm determination that they will continue on their own, making the hypothesis, executing the plan, seeing the results and reflecting on the results to improve and adjust by themselves.

In the face of your unbelievable passing it will surely take some time before we can emerge from this deep sorrow. Please know, however, that the seeds you have planted, and the plants that have sprouted will put forth small flowers as they bring smiles to the faces of people around the world, blossom into a grand flower bigger than even you, our leader, Iwata-san. Together with Miyamoto and others of our generation, we swear in our hearts that we will continue our efforts so that, someday, we can report and present to you the blossoming of these flowers. May you continuously watch over and guide us managers, our employees and your family.

On behalf of all of us, I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences and sincerest prayer. May you rest in peace, Iwata-san.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

You demonstrated this through your belief that people could eventually come to understand one another, and your strong conviction that the best way for us to grow is through patient communication, even if it took several times, a dozen times or even seemingly endless discussion.

I shouldn't be laughing.

(laughs)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
(continued laughter)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

You succeeded in planting the seed in employees’ hearts that, in order to solve an issue, there is a fundamental cycle whereby you make a hypothesis, execute the plan, see the result and then make adjustments, and by which you have caringly nurtured these seeds to sprout and mature into plants.

Wait, I'm sorry, is this really something new that Iwata brought to the company?
Corporations, man.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Augus posted:

Wait, I'm sorry, is this really something new that Iwata brought to the company?
Corporations, man.

There was a thread in I think old GBS about education and employment in Japan (and Asia as a whole) and the consensus was that they are taught rote memorisation and have less spontaneous problem solving skills than a western counterpart.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Szmitten posted:

I shouldn't be laughing.

(laughs)

We can laugh because this was a beautiful man whose memes we will all miss. Please understand.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Szmitten posted:

There was a thread in I think old GBS about education and employment in Japan (and Asia as a whole) and the consensus was that they are taught rote memorisation and have less spontaneous problem solving skills than a western counterpart.

Lol this is saying something since there is 0 of that in American schools as well

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I have to get this awful story off my chest: I wanted to support third parties on the Wii U so much that when Splinter Cell came out I traded in my copy of Pikmin 3 to help pay for it. I regret that decision every day.

I did ultimately trade Splinter Cell in for Wonderful 101, so everything sort of resolved itself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I have to get this awful story off my chest: I wanted to support third parties on the Wii U so much that when Splinter Cell came out I traded in my copy of Pikmin 3 to help pay for it. I regret that decision every day.

I did ultimately trade Splinter Cell in for Wonderful 101, so everything sort of resolved itself.

Third parties don't deserve the WiiU :colbert:

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

VladimirLeninpest posted:

It's nice that you're looking out for the little guys, like Ubisoft

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
On the bright side that was the best splinter cell game since chaos theory by far

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That story is so rear end backwards.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tomonobu Itagaki
3 hrs · Edited ·
[ about previews ]
Guys,
At last, I was be able to understand about the reactions.
Devil's Third is the game which reflects the player's skill directly/vividly.
This is truth.

https://www.facebook.com/tomonobu.itagaki/posts/1594884444109001

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I hope Devil's Third flops so magnificently that I never have to see Itagaki's stupid face ever again

It looks like it'll be a beautiful disaster, at least

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tomonobu Itagaki
3 hrs · Edited ·
[ about previews ]
Guys,
This is truth.

I believe.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I just completed Operation 006 in Wonderful 101. I was not expecting the story to get so real that quickly. :stare:

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Chieves posted:

I just completed Operation 006 in Wonderful 101. I was not expecting the story to get so real that quickly. :stare:

Oh you ain't seen NOTHING yet. :allears:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
W101 is similar to Ghost Trick in that every time you think it's reached peaked real the clouds part and there's another peak higher up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Suspicious Cook posted:

W101 is similar to Ghost Trick in that every time you think it's reached peaked real the clouds part and there's another peak higher up.

You can say that for pretty much all Platinum games. Another reason I'm excited for Star Fox Zero even if what we've seen so far doesn't look super interesting.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Ninja Gaiden games so I have some faith in Devil's Third since its the same team.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can say that for pretty much all Platinum games. Another reason I'm excited for Star Fox Zero even if what we've seen so far doesn't look super interesting.

I want to believe that SF0's gonna keep escalating rapidly like that, but apparently Platinum only helped with assets and didn't do much with game design there so I'm not too hopeful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tomonobu Itagaki
3 hrs · Edited ·
[ about previews ]
Guys,
This is truth.

So if the player plays better the graphics improve? Well, that's a fairly bold claim Mr. Itagaki and I'll be curious to see it in action.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've really been dragging my rear end in trying to complete W101. The gameplay is fun enough though I'm not super accurate with the wonder liner.

What really crushes my balls is what a supreme colossal dickweed rear end in a top hat motherfucker Wonder Blue is and how much goddamn screen time they give his insecurities. Every character is pretty cliché and one dimensional but at this point I feel like three entire chapters have been devoted to him actively stepping directly in front of any plot progression and telling it to gently caress off. It seriously brings the game down for me to the point where I don't play it for weeks or months in between game sessions.

That being said, Wonder Pink and Luka are also pretty unlikable though they get far less screen time than Blue.

EDIT: The last thing I did was fight the Punch-Out!! boss for reference as to how far I am.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 19, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

So if the player plays better the graphics improve? Well, that's a fairly bold claim Mr. Itagaki and I'll be curious to see it in action.

Maybe it's like that indie RPG I've forgotten the name of where you start off with NES graphics then it goes through all the console generations as you level up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ImpAtom posted:

With art it all depends on how much you invest yourself into it. The more you play the game, the better you become at it, the less you'll notice all of its problems. So says its author, so it must be true, because Devil's Third is art in videogame form.

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe it's like that indie RPG I've forgotten the name of where you start off with NES graphics then it goes through all the console generations as you level up.

That's Evoland, which turned out to be rubbish after you let that one unique aspect of it slide.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

evoland. Z.H.P also did this with a final boss fight between chapters.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Adventures of Pip was fun

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kaubocks posted:

I've really been dragging my rear end in trying to complete W101. The gameplay is fun enough though I'm not super accurate with the wonder liner.

What really crushes my balls is what a supreme colossal dickweed rear end in a top hat motherfucker Wonder Blue is and how much goddamn screen time they give his insecurities. Every character is pretty cliché and one dimensional but at this point I feel like three entire chapters have been devoted to him actively stepping directly in front of any plot progression and telling it to gently caress off. It seriously brings the game down for me to the point where I don't play it for weeks or months in between game sessions.

That being said, Wonder Pink and Luka are also pretty unlikable though they get far less screen time than Blue.

EDIT: The last thing I did was fight the Punch-Out!! boss for reference as to how far I am.

He gets better in the next chapter if I recall. Don't hope for white or black to get any more screentime though. Seriously don't.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The later a character joins the team, the less screentime they have. Blue gets better, but the others don't change much.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Tomonobu Itagaki
3 hrs · Edited ·
[ about previews ]
Guys,
This is truth.

Maybe he's hoping to coast on the bad review/fan love thing God Hand and Wonderful 101 got. Either way this game is becoming a favourite of mine thanks to its trainwreck nature. I will totally buy it for fifteen dollars some day. :allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

White gets exactly the right amount of screen time I think. Any more and the joke might have worn a little thin.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean Itagaki was the lead on Ninja Gaiden Black which as far as I'm concerned is one of the best games ever made, so he at least has the capability to make a good game.

Boyyyyyy Devil's Third does not look good though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I will totally buy it for fifteen dollars some day. :allears:

Maybe digitally. The disc copy of this game is going to be rare as poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean Itagaki was the lead on Ninja Gaiden Black which as far as I'm concerned is one of the best games ever made, so he at least has the capability to make a good game.

Boyyyyyy Devil's Third does not look good though

He was lead on a bunch of other games that were not very good since then and also made nothing for like 7 years

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

He was lead on a bunch of other games that were not very good since then and also made nothing for like 7 years

Yeah I'm just saying that one game still buys him some good will in my book. Not that I've ever rushed out to buy any of his other crap, but he's the only reason I'm even willing to give this game a look

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Someone on neogaf said the game has a girl who is 15, can't age, and is the love interest

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Basically Splatoon even though the girl inkling is supposed to just be sexed by the audience and not in game characters

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't blast your own fetishes in this cute thread, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quest For Glory II posted:

Don't blast your own fetishes in this cute thread, please

Dont mention neogaf.

• Locked thread