Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Putting in an offer on a 3 car garage with an attached house. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Holy poo poo it was :perfect:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dad flew in to visit me, booked a room at a hotel not far from me.

The airport he flew into is 30 minutes away. It's been 3 hours since he landed. I called him and he said the car's GPS took him way out of the way. I asked him how far. "Uh... I'm in Carrollton now, I think".

Not even did the car's GPS take him to the wrong city, it took him to the wrong county entirely. He's driven over 50 miles so far on a 20 mile trip.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Real rap, five guys is terrible

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Its good for what it advertises itself as, but the problem is the price. They want way too much for what is a merely decent burger.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nodoze posted:

Better than McDooDoos, better than Wendy's, better than Booger King.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Goober Peas posted:

Better than McDooDoos, better than Wendy's, better than Booger King.

Yes No Yes

e: well im not sure, I don't get bk or mcd burgers but their fries are better than 5G

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nodoze posted:

Yes No Yes

e: well im not sure, I don't get bk or mcd burgers but their fries are better than 5G

Generally, the best burgers are on my backporch or at a mom-and-pop hole-in-the-wall.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So then is it

1. mom and pop or make your own (this is a tie)
2. Five Guys
3 Wendy's
4 BK
5 McDooDoo
6 White Castle poo poo sliders

Or am I missing a burger in the burger chain hierarchy?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's about right, but if you don't like 5guys fries you are objectively wrong and a bad person :colbert:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So then is it

2. Five Guys
3 Wendy's
4 BK
5 McDooDoo

Make your own is always in a league abover ever forever

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I dunno; in n out is pretty good. I'd rank them either just above or just below five guys, depending on personal preference (or what I feel like that day).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Unless your in California, Inn and Out doesn't exist. Which totally sucks, because those are some good burgers Walter. (seriously, they are good)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So then is it

2. Five Guys
3 Wendy's
4 BK
5 McDooDoo

Id stick Carl's thickburgers above Wendy's.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm glad that we dont have another dumb burger chain and beetroot + pineapple + egg on a burger is near mandatory. McDonalds is the only US buger chain with any kind of spread here and it's not exactly doing brilliantly anymore :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 18, 2015

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finally making some progress in the garage at the new house. Put up some shelving with pops today, lots of room for expansion too. Got a bunch of junk off the floor and actually have room to work now. Next up is bringing my compressor over from the 'rents, and putting up some of that Costco LED lighting.

It's an oversized one car so pretty much everything is going to have to be up on shelves for me to have room to work.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Unless your in California, Inn and Out doesn't exist. Which totally sucks, because those are some good burgers Walter. (seriously, they are good)

If we're going for non nationwide chains, I'd put whataburger tied with five guys. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So then is it

2. Five Guys (In-n-Out if you are a west coaster - what a burger for Texas)
3 Carl's Jr/Hardee's
4 Wendy's
5 BK
6 McDooDoo
7 White Castle poo poo sliders

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just remembered why I don't usually get five guys

💩💩💩💩💩

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If White Castle isn't up at like #2 there, we're gonna have issues.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
This is why I'm completely apathetic towards five guys:

Smoked burger patty with balsamic mayo, cheddar, caramelized onions, spinach and a fried egg over easy. For $8.

And this is just one such restaurant in an area lousy with them. Don't ask how Five Guys remains in business, much less have more locations than you can count on two hands within an hour drive.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ozmiander posted:

If White Castle isn't up at like #2 there, we're gonna have issues.

I can't do white castle. It brings back awful awful memories.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kate Upton and Justin Verlander are officially the coolest celebs that I've ever gotten to work with :3:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Geoj posted:

This is why I'm completely apathetic towards five guys:

Smoked burger patty with balsamic mayo, cheddar, caramelized onions, spinach and a fried egg over easy. For $8.

And this is just one such restaurant in an area lousy with them. Don't ask how Five Guys remains in business, much less have more locations than you can count on two hands within an hour drive.

See, that's just an idiotic poseur burger. Does it come with plaid pants and horn-rim glasses?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There are a bunch of In and Out's in Phoenix now, so apparently they are creeping east. Also, I agree that Whataburger is pretty good, and they are all over Phoenix too.

If you want to spend way too drat much for a burger, there are always Ruby Tuesday's and Fuddruckers (although Fuddruckers has Buffalo burgers that are pretty tasty - but still overpriced).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't had them in many years but Hamburger Habit seems to be spreading across California and maybe more and I recall their teriyaki char being quite good.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BloodBag posted:

See, that's just an idiotic poseur burger. Does it come with plaid pants and horn-rim glasses?

I'm sorry you have the palate of a five year old. There are so many good things beyond a well done burger with American cheese and ketchup that you'll never get to experience...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CharlesM posted:

I haven't had them in many years but Hamburger Habit seems to be spreading across California and maybe more and I recall their teriyaki char being quite good.

I'd forgotten about them. We had one of those open up near work (Chandler area SE of Phoenix) about a year ago. Went there with a free coupon. It was good, but apparently didn't blow me away since I've not been back. :)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

God bless those little Bluetooth ODBII things. Turned an evening of fretting over a check engine light into five minutes of googling to learn I didn't tighten my gas cap enough. :toot:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Geoj posted:

Don't ask how Five Guys remains in business, much less have more locations than you can count on two hands within an hour drive.

They're extremely popular and have nailed down their business model to be as efficient as possible and don't deviate from it. They have franchises, which downplays the risk of opening in new markets. They have consistency too, so customers know to expect the same out of any Five Guys no matter where they go. They also have a fairly lost food costs, aside from meat, and pretty low equipment costs.

So basically consistency and ruthless effeciency.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

goatse guy posted:

They're extremely popular and have nailed down their business model to be as efficient as possible and don't deviate from it. They have franchises, which downplays the risk of opening in new markets. They have consistency too, so customers know to expect the same out of any Five Guys no matter where they go. They also have a fairly lost food costs, aside from meat, and pretty low equipment costs.

So basically consistency and ruthless effeciency.

No, I mean specifically in the market where I am. There's a plethora of much better fast casual burger establishments here. I could see them maintaining a handful of locations but they're popping up like loving Starbucks.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

What a fun couple of weeks it's been. Got bit on the knee by a brown recluse, spent a week or so battling that with liberal doses of Icthammol salve, Bactrim and anti-inflammatory meds to reduce the swelling and keep the venom at bay. Finally able to put weight on that leg and bend my knee again, for a while it was so inflamed and hosed up that it was pretty much stuck in one position. So yeah, that sucked :v:

And now I have to decide if I really can drive to Austin in a week or so or if I'm gonna have to break the news to my friends that there's no way in hell i'm gonna make it. Normally I'd be all for it, but I don't have a spare for my Crown Vic thanks to letting a friend borrow it and having it disappear, and considering just last week or so I already had to deal with the consequences of that when I got a flat about 10 minutes from home... Yeah. I kinda feel like taking a car with no spare, no jack, and no lug wrench on a 14 hour trip out of my home state where i'd be totally on my own in the event of an emergency is a bad idea.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

And now I have to decide if I really can drive to Austin in a week or so or if I'm gonna have to break the news to my friends that there's no way in hell i'm gonna make it. Normally I'd be all for it, but I don't have a spare for my Crown Vic thanks to letting a friend borrow it and having it disappear, and considering just last week or so I already had to deal with the consequences of that when I got a flat about 10 minutes from home... Yeah. I kinda feel like taking a car with no spare, no jack, and no lug wrench on a 14 hour trip out of my home state where i'd be totally on my own in the event of an emergency is a bad idea.

Sawzall the fenders back until you can put offroad tires on the Vic, then strap the old wheels and tires to an improvised angle-iron roof rack with twin 300W xenon spotlights. Now you have four spares.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My brother's girlfriend works for GM, and she got some hot-poo poo CTS sedan as a loaner for the week as part of an ambassador program. As an experiment, they set the adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, and did a lap around [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_285]Interstate 285[/u] around Atlanta.

According to them, in the clockwise direction, the lanes on I-285 make an outward spiral.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sawzall the fenders back until you can put offroad tires on the Vic, then strap the old wheels and tires to an improvised angle-iron roof rack with twin 300W xenon spotlights. Now you have four spares.

Goddamn, I wish. I've already got aluminum patches riveted in place to cover holes in the body, that would just make me one step closer to owning my Mad Max dream machine :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just strolled out the door at work and as the security door swung shut I realized I had left my wallet and keys in my drawer. So now waiting for the girlfriend to come get me and hopefully I still have a spare work key on one of the keyrings at home.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

leica posted:

If you like Bourbon and/or really good ale, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is the poo poo, soooo good.
http://www.kentuckyale.com/portfolio_page/kentuckybourbonbarrelale/?age-verified=f8ec6afaab
Agreed, that is good stuff. I've been drinking mostly stout's lately, amazingly Food City has a decent selection.

CharlesM posted:

Why doesn't the U.S. have Chip + PIN for credit cards, or something? I literally went through the stolen credit card thing 3 weeks ago, now again. Come on!
One of my cards is chip+PIN and so far the only place I've been able to use it is WalMart. Plenty of places have the reader for them but don't have it enabled.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I talked a while back about buying a fast car. Rather than be patient and find the right used M3 sedan or C63 I ended up test driving an S3 and really, really liked it, so I've reserved a dark gray 2016 that is somewhere in the Atlantic right now. That'll be fun.
:hfive: nice

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Burgerchat: Whataburger is actually kinda lovely. Sorry, my fellow Texans, but you know it to be true.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How loving incredible is this free shirt I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Locator posted:

I'd forgotten about them. We had one of those open up near work (Chandler area SE of Phoenix) about a year ago. Went there with a free coupon. It was good, but apparently didn't blow me away since I've not been back. :)

I've only been to the original and it's been more than 10 years so things can change too.

NitroSpazzz posted:

One of my cards is chip+PIN and so far the only place I've been able to use it is WalMart. Plenty of places have the reader for them but don't have it enabled.

Yeah, I have two cards that are chip + signature but haven't been able to use them yet. I want to try.

• Locked thread