Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This Boca sucks, only managed a 1-0 against a terrible Saprissa (and the goal was a gift from notorious old bad keeper Donny Grant)

https://vine.co/v/e1VpJOZtVmq

This was a very bad game and I regret watching it. At least it didn't end in a draw because according to the rules of the prestigious Copa Gigantes de América it wouldn't have been decided on extra time or penalties, but on a lame ridiculous old-MLS style shootout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Shouldn't the cup be called Gigante de America?
Calleri is better than Higuain.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Al Jazeera has a good writeup on the state of football in Brazil, check it out: http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/sport/2015/07/brazil-suffering-failure-150705170319449.html

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hecko posted:

Shouldn't the cup be called Gigante de America?
Calleri is better than Higuain.

Should be called Amistoso Aburrido de América imho

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Al Jazeera has a good writeup on the state of football in Brazil, check it out: http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/sport/2015/07/brazil-suffering-failure-150705170319449.html

I think the article gets some things right, but a lot of things wrong. "embarrassment against Argentine clubs in the Copa Libertadores" is a bit of nonsense. The only recent match with Argentinean teams that could be considered an embarrassment is River over Cruzeiro. Brazilian teams have won the libertadores in 4 of the last 5 years and Internacional are favorites to win it this year. The problem with Brazilian clubs isn't international performance, it is unsustainable debt.

Likewise, it is mistaken in saying that European clubs are most interested in South American as opposed to Brazilian players. The problem isn't that top European clubs aren't willing to invest heavily in the latest Brazilian superstar. The problem is that they get heavily outbid by teams in bad leagues and managers/agents only care about the transfer fees and let them go there. Arsenal tried to buy Bernard. But their 22 million dollar euros proposal was less than Donetsk's 25 million. Andre (former Neymar partner at Santos) had a bunch of interest from Portugal and France and ended up at Dynamo Kiyv. Similar situations happened with Wellington Nem, Maicon (the younger one), Fernando, etc. Hell, Atletico was trying to give Jo away for free to get rid of his salary, and in the end was able to sell him for 10 million reais to an UAE club, and you can bet that it was all due to the brand of "former Brazil national team player." So, if anything the problem is that the brand is still too good, and the people in it too corrupt. If you are a billionaire sheik wanting to create a soccer team, it would still be incredibly difficult to attract the latest Spanish/Italian/German wonderkid to play for you. But Brazilians will go there, no problem.

I think the best way to show this is to compare the 2003 (Brazil) and 2005 (Argentina) u-20 world champions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_FIFA_World_Youth_Championship_squads#.C2.A0Brazil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_FIFA_World_Youth_Championship_squads#.C2.A0Argentina

A lot of the Brazilian team moved to leagues like Korea, Romania, Ukraine, Russia and Turkey at an early age. And the only one of those to eventually make his way out of a joke league is Fernandinho. Meanwhile, the Argentines stayed put in Argentina or moved to decent leagues.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Double post to post this:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33437711

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Ref just carded the wrong black guy lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

CR - Uruguay friendly in September hoping for another good match like the last one.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Polidoro posted:

Ref just carded the wrong black guy lol

was the ref Uruguayan?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Drogadon posted:

CR - Uruguay friendly in September hoping for another good match like the last one.

Just saw this. Had no idea this was a thing, now we are playing Panamá and you guys in four days. Please be gentle with us, we haven't been this bad since the 90's.

El Hefe posted:

was the ref Uruguayan?

No, but he was also black so it was even funnier.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Alcides Ghiggia passed away today on the Maracanazo anniversary. He was the last 1950 champion alive, let's see if we can finally get over it.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Tevez is making hist first appearance for Boca, match is starting now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YETnZVej7GQ

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Calleri for Boca just scored by lobbing the ball over the keeper on a rabona, it was ridiculous.

E: here it is https://vine.co/v/erLvllzQ2LQ

trem_two fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 18, 2015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

ridiculous indeed, that's great

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I just came back from the game. I didn't know he scored a rabona, that's awesome!.

trem_two posted:

Tevez is making hist first appearance for Boca, match is starting now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YETnZVej7GQ

I was just left of the preview picture in that video, right next to the other side of the white fence.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Calleri for Boca just scored by lobbing the ball over the keeper on a rabona, it was ridiculous.

E: here it is https://vine.co/v/erLvllzQ2LQ

Phwoar!!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The whole play, it was a pretty good counterattack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXSFWQOX5w

hecko how crazy did people go when that happened?

When I went to La Bombonera I sat in the corner to the left of that fence, great view of la 12.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
At least from where I was I think nobody noticed how he did it. Probably they didn't even care, just that it went in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

wow, that's insane. are people pretty pissed about them passing him up?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

wow, that's insane. are people pretty pissed about them passing him up?

People expect that sort of crap from CBF, so it doesnt surprise anyone anymore.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Today is Friendship Day.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

hecko posted:

Today is Friendship Day.

Lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Icardi won't move right? So that's another source of guaranteed entertainment for next season.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Oh yeah today is the Super Cup day in Mexico (Well in Houston Texas USA since they can make more money there than in mexico) where there is two super cup games going on today. The one thats going on right now is the SuperCopa MX which is beween the two winners of the Clausura and Apertura Copa MX from last season which is Puebla and Morelia. It's a 0 - 0 game in the 28th min in somewhat empty stadium but it's a game one of a double header which the main event is the Campeón de Campeones which is beween the two winners of the Clausura and Apertura last Liga MX season which were Santos Laguna and Club América which starts 8:40pm Local time tonight. Am sure the stadium will be pack by then since Club América can draw alot of people as I found out 2 years ago when they played a friendly game with my club the Fire and the only section that had Fire fans was the supporter section and the rest of the park was painted yellow.

Anyway the new Liga MX season starts soon, right after the Gold Cup finishes if I recall right.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Oh yeah today is the Super Cup day in Mexico (Well in Houston Texas USA since they can make more money there than in mexico) where there is two super cup games going on today. The one thats going on right now is the SuperCopa MX which is beween the two winners of the Clausura and Apertura Copa MX from last season which is Puebla and Morelia. It's a 0 - 0 game in the 28th min in somewhat empty stadium but it's a game one of a double header which the main event is the Campeón de Campeones which is beween the two winners of the Clausura and Apertura last Liga MX season which were Santos Laguna and Club América which starts 8:40pm Local time tonight. Am sure the stadium will be pack by then since Club América can draw alot of people as I found out 2 years ago when they played a friendly game with my club the Fire and the only section that had Fire fans was the supporter section and the rest of the park was painted yellow.

Anyway the new Liga MX season starts soon, right after the Gold Cup finishes if I recall right.

Do you have a list of transfers for Liga MX that might be interesting? I remember at least a few teams signing relatively big players from Europe.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Lol at that own goal. I can't believe no one in this godforsaken forum is watching the greatest tournament on earth

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Forgot to say this tournament is rigged as gently caress and nobody should watch it ok bye.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

The stands must be hell right now

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Semis between Internacional and Tigres were great, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JcM45gaFs

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Gigi Galli posted:

Do you have a list of transfers for Liga MX that might be interesting? I remember at least a few teams signing relatively big players from Europe.

The only euro transfer I can think off my head right away is André-Pierre Gignac going to Tigres but am sure there has to be more since Mexican clubs are some of the richest ones in the americas. Anyway tonight is the start of the season so here's the list of games this weekend for round one of the Apertura 2015. I get most of my Liga MX news from goal.com so I guess they should have more transfer moves over there.

Round 1 of the Apertura 2015 (all times CST/-6 UTC)

Friday, July 24, 2015
7:30 PM
Veracruz v Guadalajara

Saturday, July 25, 2015
5:00 PM
Cruz Azul v Morelia

7:00 PM
Tigres UANL v FCToluca

8:06 PM
Pachuca v Tijuana

8:30 PM
Atlas v Querétaro

9:00 PM
Dorados v Chiapas

9:00 PM
Santos Laguna v León

Sunday, July 26, 2015
12:00 PM
Pumas v Monterrey

5:00 PM
Puebla v América

Oh yeah Dorados are the new team in after Universidad de Guadalajara got relegated.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Zico wants to become president of FIFA and is seeking the support of CBF (who hasn't shown up in any recent FIFA meetings for fear of arrest).

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

that would be fully zico

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Really excited for the Libertadores final.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

If River doesn't win it I'm gonna be mad as hell.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhW16bPd5g

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

When River wins the Copa the guy who pepper sprayed River players is going to get murdered

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Like he isn't dead already.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Tigres the third Mexican club to reach the libertadores final. Hope they win it lol

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
are there any figures on how much is the River squad worth? I read somewhere that with the new Tigres players, the sum went up to ~52 million USD. Highest among mexican teams, where the gently caress do they get the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.

El Chingon posted:

are there any figures on how much is the River squad worth? I read somewhere that with the new Tigres players, the sum went up to ~52 million USD. Highest among mexican teams, where the gently caress do they get the money?

Typically, the clubs in Mexico are extremely well marketed, at least not-in-risk-of-relegation clubs. In Monterrey, both local clubs have very vocal and loyal fans, with money, so the clubs are very profitable. Aside from that, the clubs are either owned, part of, or sponsored by big name companies (a huge part of Mexican industry is in Monterrey), and also have big deals with the national TV broadcasters. Tigres' rival Monterrey just finished building their new stadium. Both clubs are quite wealthy.

According to an online article, Tigres was the 5th wealthier team to participate in the cup, River was 6th (EDIT: according to the article, River is worth 50.2 million Euros).

Zombie Chow fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 29, 2015