Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I prefer the Goodyear Gatorback #40274 belts for the Goldwing.

What other work do you still have to do to get her back on the road?

In theory?: put the carbs back on, replace the faulty radiator fan switch, top up the fluids, and get two new tires.*

In practice: the above, plus
I have to pull the engine to replace the clutch (PO claims the clutch was slipping - at 36k on the ODO I doubt it, but the bike came with a new clutch set still in the box, so what the hell), replace the fuel filter and all the rubber lines, replace the brake lines, install a Randakk's oil filter adapter and new oil filter, replace the spark plugs.

*it ran and rode when I bought it, which is impressive for a $500 Goldwing, but it had one of those POs who neglected the gently caress out of it and did stupid mods and repairs, so I don't really trust anything I haven't inspected or replaced myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Yesterday I had to put a plug in my rear tire. I picked up a roofing nail somewhere. My shift is from Midnight to 10am, having a flat tire is the last thing I wanted while i was sleep deprived.
I will say the Slime tire repair kit with CO2 inflation worked out very nicely:

http://affordable-tire-sealant.com/20240-slime-atvtrailer-emergency-tire-repair-kit/

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I adjusted my primary chain which was too loose, and checked my primary oil level which was just right.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I adjusted my primary chain which was too loose, and checked my primary oil level which was just right.

Do you just look on the ground to check the oil level?

http://imgur.com/a/9MJyu
More DRZness. I probably should start a thread. :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

cursedshitbox posted:

Do you just look on the ground to check the oil level?

Pretty much. Remove inspection cover: any comes out, it was too high. Replace inspection cover when it stops dribbling.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Swapped my cheap LED rear indicators for new OE ones after one of them cracked for no apparent reason.

Well I say OE - they were actually marked as for an R3 but those indicators get used on everything from no-brand Chinese bikes, through almost the entire Aprilia range, to both flavours of Striple, just with different connectors on them, and the R3 ones are the cheapest and as I had to cut the old connectors off to fit the Chinese ones it was a no-brainer to get the R3 ones.

Also oiled my chain for the first time in ages because they finally fixed my slow oil leak that was doing a drat fine job of keeping the chain lubed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

In theory?: put the carbs back on, replace the faulty radiator fan switch, top up the fluids, and get two new tires.*

In practice: the above, plus
I have to pull the engine to replace the clutch (PO claims the clutch was slipping - at 36k on the ODO I doubt it, but the bike came with a new clutch set still in the box, so what the hell), replace the fuel filter and all the rubber lines, replace the brake lines, install a Randakk's oil filter adapter and new oil filter, replace the spark plugs.

*it ran and rode when I bought it, which is impressive for a $500 Goldwing, but it had one of those POs who neglected the gently caress out of it and did stupid mods and repairs, so I don't really trust anything I haven't inspected or replaced myself.

Just wait till your stator seals start leaking... you're just going to have to park it on an oil pan because there is no loving way you should pull the engine just for that.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
I put some red spoke skins on my DRZ supermoto wheels last week. As I was cleaning them up I noticed I could see the spring on seals for the rear wheel. Some PO yahoo put them in backwards. When will I stop finding the evidence of Monkeying!

Shh little Dizzer. You're okay and I'm taking good care of you now. Everything's going to be all right.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
hahaha you too? uuuuuuggghhhh.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just wait till your stator seals start leaking... you're just going to have to park it on an oil pan because there is no loving way you should pull the engine just for that.

Orrrrrrr... I could just replace all the seals and gaskets while I have the engine out. :suicide:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I did the brake rotor button/bobbin cleaning thing, like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0cVRfw14A Had some vibration on hard braking after putting in new brake pads and I was convinced I had hosed the rotors. I really didn't expect any change but it seems the cleaning had a positive effect and now the brakes feel fine.

I also replaced a coolant hose where dried coolant residue would collect over a few days. Could be a small leak on the inside of the hose making coolant leak out through the reinforcement threads. Better change than sorry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

Orrrrrrr... I could just replace all the seals and gaskets while I have the engine out. :suicide:
Might as well!
Enjoy:

One man's foray into the dark: http://www.rcycle.com/1977HondaGoldwingGL1000.html

Yesterday I pulled the CB125 out for a revival. Found out the hard way that the petcock seals had hardened. I filled the tank and the bike pissed itself all over the driveway. So I pulled the tank and rigged up a temporary tank and long fuel line.
She fired up, but I quickly found out that the clutch is not disengaging. Apparently somehow the clutch adjuster nut has removed itself. The bike hasn't moved since I rode it in and put it away, so exactly how that nut escaped is beyond me. It was there when I parked it last time. :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Might as well!
Enjoy:

One man's foray into the dark: http://www.rcycle.com/1977HondaGoldwingGL1000.html

The carbs look like death but the engine itself looks pretty agricultural and straightforward TBH. I imagine getting parts would be the hardest part of that exercise.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bought 3 tires. Need the wife to get her bike off my jack so I can take my front wheel off and get the tire on; 2 tires are toward those ends.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The carbs look like death but the engine itself looks pretty agricultural and straightforward TBH. I imagine getting parts would be the hardest part of that exercise.

It is, over half the parts are NLA from Honda. :downs:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

It is, over half the parts are NLA from Honda. :downs:

Thats why I own 3 of everything.

Speaking of which, does anyone want 3 GL1000's?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thats why I own 3 of everything.

Speaking of which, does anyone want 3 GL1000's?

Yes!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If you weren't on the other side of the country if take them off your hands.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Delivery costs for 3 really aren't that much more than it is for just 1...

I put the one on CL and I'm getting a lot of really typical CL responses. My favorite so far is:

:v:I see the pic of odometer is that real mileage ?
What is the bottom dollar you would take cash!

To which I responded, "I haven't really considered lowering my price. Do you have a compelling reason why I should?"

Unfortunately he replied back. "I am looking for a deal really want a 1100 So I could modify it"

If he replies again, I'm calling the cops.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Changed front and rear brake pads, oil, and oil filer. Cleaned and lubed chain.

I was going to wash it too and clean up some grime but it's loving hot, and I sweat probably double the oil quantity that came out.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Cleaned and lubed my chain. Trying chain wax this time, and I think I have a winner. Also, thanks for the recommendation on the gold chain, because it looks swanky as gently caress.

This weekend it's putting enough money and time into an old bike to make sure it's running. I figure $30 and a couple hours ought to be about right.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Now to figure out how repairing fiberglass works. (I have the lower and tail, too)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 25, 2015

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I think I still have a track plastic if your collecting spares.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

I think I still have a track plastic if your collecting spares.

Shoot me a pm with whatchoo got :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I moved today! With my bike in the back of a container truck!

Now my back end is sitting several inches lower, so I probably hosed up my suspension somehow!:unsmigghh:

Gonna take a closer look tomorrow or sunday, then head over to the Questions thread to find out what I hosed up and how I fix it. :smithicide:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Got it back in *then* remembered to do a leakdown. one intake valve is leaking. gently caress me I can't get a break with this oval office.

Guy I bought the carb/exhaust from is gonna cut the seats, fix whatevers fuckt, and set valve lash (which is great since USPS disappeared my shim kit).

USPS EMPLOYEE IF YOU'RE SEEING THIS, gently caress YOU IN YOUR loving gently caress.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Attempted to clean out the crankcase breather, but one of the screws on the cover was stuck; tried to reach around with some GT85 to hopefully get it unstuck. Not only did this not work, the plastic hose tube thingy fell off and jumped down behind the sprocket cover :cripes:

Took the sprocket cover off and the inside of the thing was thick with chain/gear oil mud, just slick brown crap filling the entire space between cover and sprocket. Most of it's gone now, and I'm down one car brush (full of oil, cheaper to buy another than burn a can of chain degreaser cleaning it) and most of a can of GT85 (from blasting away more of the gunk, and treating every single screw thread I could find). On the plus side I finally managed to get at the air filter, having failed last time because of yet more bound screws. Just doused those fuckers in teflon and let them sit for a few days weeks and this time they all but fell out on their own. :)

Ended up having to drill out that cover screw, now in no mood to do the maintenance I originally set out to do. I'm having lunch then loving off to the hardware store to try and find a replacement, whether I manage or not I'll consider this a day well spent.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Today i, a completely inexperienced rider and new to the whole mechanical repair thing managed to remove and replace my break pads, speedo cable and speedo drive on the front of my bike. Minor casualty is my break fluid reservoir has a threaded screw hole so for now a zip tie is keeping that closed.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
This is less "today" and more "The past twoish days", but

DRZ
-Drained a little gas
-Pulled the carb and cleaned the main jet
-Scrubbed in a new pair of S20 Evos
-Half a can of Startron
-New sparkplug
-New front blinkers and the plastic handguard covers that came with them
-Cleaned chain
-Superglued the grips back on
-Oil
-Coolant
-Redid stator/RR wiring job to make it look better

FZ6
-Washed it
-Cleaned chain

Still need to bleed brakes on both bikes (I need a new MC cover for the DRZ first), throw on a new coolant overflow reservoir for the drz, and put a new chain/sprockets on the FZ while replacing the old worn out PR4 on the back.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 26, 2015

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Changed the rear wheel bearings and did a 525 to 530 chain with a screw-on master link and sprocket conversion on the Strom.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I may have just sold another one. '76 gl1000 with the impossible to figure out idle surge. Guy offered me $1500 "if it's ridable" so in turn I offered to change the oil and rebuild the master cylinders just in case he thinks he is going to try and ride it home. Having trouble getting the bike going is one thing but having trouble stopping is quite another.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Changed the rear wheel bearings and did a 525 to 530 chain with a screw-on master link and sprocket conversion on the Strom.

Wtf is a screw on master link?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 27, 2015

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wtf is a screw on master link?
http://www.powersportparts.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4705740&gclid=CJ30nIKg-sYCFQenaQodrBgLbg
http://www.600rr.net/vb/17-03-06-rr-modifications/149240-ek-screw-type-master-link.html

Instead of pressing the plate and then riveting, you screw two nuts on the threaded posts, when it gets to the right size, it rivets itself and you unscrew the nuts a bit and snap the excess off. Pretty simple actually, I'm going to get another or two for trips

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 27, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

-Technically didn't quite pull the carb again. drat air intake boot won't stay on the carb. It's about half an inch too short to properly do the job when you have an FCR39 on the bike, but It's not leaking anymore.
-Got my throttle cables right
-Adjusted the shifter, which was the source of my "transmission trouble" I've had for the past 200mi. I knew it was close to hitting the frame when I adjusted it as low as I did, but I guess I bent it because it was touching the frame on every downshift. That's why I couldn't downshift past neutral. :downs:
-Took a dremel to my MC cover screw and managed to not destroy the cover. Brakes were bled.
-Used carb cleaner to clean some of the 20kmi worth of grime off the underside of the frame
-Brand new overflow reservoir

#justDRZthings

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 27, 2015

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Installed a new air intake, put in a new exhaust a few days ago. Using Vance and Hines' bluetooth fuel pack, which is the bees knees. Still need to order a two up seat and pegs, hopefully next week.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I pulled my old SRX's swingarm out of the vat of lye and distilled water I had it sitting in for a month or so. All the old paint sloughed right off, it was amazing! It looks like it's fresh off the welders table waiting to be painted! Kinda makes me wish I could powdercoat so I could get the insides of all the welded on gussets and shock mounts. Currently the rest of the bike sans engine lives in my room right now. Also, I test rode a friend's 18000 mile 2005 Ninja 250 to compare it to my 4000 mile specimen. After writing a check for 1500, my gf and I now have matching Ninjettes. Life is good.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really tried this time, I did, but every goddamn time I change oil in anything there is always a loving spill.
Changed the oil on the R1 and spaced out when I was refilling it - it needed 3.3 quarts, and I just started dumping in the 4th quart and realized mid pour, panicked and just dumped the rest of the quart all over my garage's floor and the side of my bike.

I still slightly overfilled it, but I drained out OVER 4 quarts, so I figure I'll be just fine.

I really gotta say I don't really mind the supasport position as much as I thought I would, and I can actually completely flat foot the bike.

I still need to find some time to remove the fairings completely to clean all the... tar? sludge? aids? off of everything...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Built a jack jig out of scrap wood for the rounded bottom of the Buell's jack point. Put bike on jack, heyyy holds pretty steady, pretty good for some crude work. Still strapped it for safety.

Front wheel off. Front wheel clean. Front wheel bearings a-ok. Ready for new tire. Ordered the match for my rear, a Metzeler Tourance Next. Wanted to try something other than the Pilot Roads.

We're 4 days from Sturgis departure and 3/6 of us have bikes not yet on the road. Old guy's GS's final drive rubber boot has a hole in it so it's in the shop getting warranty work. My wife's bike *should* have a new throttle cable array today. And hopefully my tire is in so I can have it put on today and back on the bike tomorrow.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Not something I did to my bike, but I mounted a wall anchor on a pillar in my apartment's parking garage for my Duke. Last year, KTMs were the most-stolen 'normal' bikes. Looks like someone's whole Zundapp collection got stolen too.

'Terug' means returned, 'wagenpark' total amount. 'Zelfbouw' is custom built. 'Diefstalrisico' is risk of theft. So less than 2000 Buells in the country, and nobody steals Triumphs.

On KTM, I can think of a few reasons they score so high. First, it's easy to make the enduro and SMC bikes disappear into the offroad/racing circuit. And maybe they're owned by younger people that don't have the means to secure them very well. Or it's just that they're hooligan bikes, which includes hooligans that don't mind nicking other peoples' poo poo.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

I pulled my old SRX's swingarm out of the vat of lye and distilled water I had it sitting in for a month or so. All the old paint sloughed right off, it was amazing! It looks like it's fresh off the welders table waiting to be painted! Kinda makes me wish I could powdercoat so I could get the insides of all the welded on gussets and shock mounts. Currently the rest of the bike sans engine lives in my room right now. Also, I test rode a friend's 18000 mile 2005 Ninja 250 to compare it to my 4000 mile specimen. After writing a check for 1500, my gf and I now have matching Ninjettes. Life is good.

Cool that you're still working on that bike. Make sure to pick up an Euro tail light for it though, if you haven't already :)

I might have seen one other SRX in the four and a half years I've been riding, not sure. They're rare as hell. But such a great looking bike, I've got a Duke now which is the ultimate form of what the SRX was attempting but the SRX sure looked better and was way less plasticy.

SRX action:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

Found the last vacuum leak on my Aprilia Futura.

Intake boots are rotting to pieces. I've already replaced every vacuum line on the bike. All of the originals are made of some kind of plastic. Just like plastic, they rotted straight through from heat and age.
Bonus Aprilia note: those intake boots are backordered with no ETA. They fit every Aprilia ever made with a Rotax engine. What the gently caress. At any rate, used boots ordered, they'll have to do.