Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nermal. posted:

I was at school within that ten mile radius in Henderson, and remember every second of that day. Watching a movie in class, first boom had teachers running in confusion, second knocked tiles out of the ceiling and onto kid's heads. We had to evacuate and walk miles to a local park, and during that walk, we were all coming up with theories... Everything from an active volcano to aliens. Wild poo poo.

if that happened to me i probably would have assumed it was a nuclear bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Haha oh man that is a stench that just does not leave your memory. I kept hearing rumors about cleanup operations going on but I lived in B'ville until around 2005 and couldn't remember ever actually seeing anything happening.

I do distinctly remember it always being worse on the south side, along hwy 690, and how if the wind shifted just right (just wrong?) during the state fair you'd get a nasty whiff of it. Good times.

I'm sure the 'unnerving' part will come when they determine anyone exposed to the lake winds up with some uniquely horrible form of cancer or something.

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of polluted bodies of water; how about a river known for catching on fire?

This is a 1968 description of the Cuyahoga River (located in Northeast Ohio):

quote:

"The surface is covered with the brown oily film observed upstream as far as the Southerly Plant effluent. In addition, large quantities of black heavy oil floating in slicks, sometimes several inches thick, are observed frequently. Debris and trash are commonly caught up in these slicks forming an unsightly floating mess. Anaerobic action is common as the dissolved oxygen is seldom above a fraction of a part per million. The discharge of cooling water increases the temperature by 10 °F (5.6 °C) to 15 °F (8.3 °C). The velocity is negligible, and sludge accumulates on the bottom. Animal life does not exist. Only the algae Oscillatoria grows along the piers above the water line. The color changes from gray-brown to rusty brown as the river proceeds downstream. Transparency is less than 0.5 feet in this reach. This entire reach is grossly polluted." It's also noted that the entire stretch from Cleveland to Akron (about 40 miles) was completely devoid of fish for some time.

At least 13 fires have been reported on the Cuyahoga River, the first occurring in 1868. The largest river fire in 1952 caused over $1 million in damage to boats, a bridge, and a riverfront office building. On June 22, 1969, a river fire captured the attention of Time magazine, which described the Cuyahoga as the river that "oozes rather than flows" and in which a person "does not drown but decays". The fire did eventually spark major changes as well as the article from Time, but in the immediate aftermath very little attention was given to the incident and was not considered a major news story in the Cleveland media.

The 1969 Cuyahoga River fire helped spur an avalanche of water pollution control activities, resulting in the Clean Water Act, Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement, and the creation of the federal Environmental Protection Agency and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA).
Source

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

fistful of hammers posted:

Speaking of polluted bodies of water; how about a river known for catching on fire?

This is a 1968 description of the Cuyahoga River (located in Northeast Ohio):
Source

The beer is pretty good, though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Finally, a story in this thread that I am intimately familiar with!

One of the funny things about the Cuyahoga is just how easily it caught fire before the EPA intervened. You would expect it to be rather difficult to start a fire in the middle of a river, but the opposite seems true. In 1912, a spark from a passing tugboat ignited oil and debris floating on the river's surface. The ensuing inferno consumed several nearby boats, before spreading to the city's shipyards, killing five people. The 1936 fire was caused by a dropped blow torch and took several days to contain. A passing train in 1952 caused 1.5 million dollars in damages when it accidentally ignited the city's riverfront.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the 1969 fire is the one that caught the country's attention. By historical standards, that blaze was pretty mild.

QuoProQuid has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Jul 19, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

QuoProQuid posted:

Frankly, I'm surprised that the 1969 fire is the one that caught the country's attention. By historical standards, that blaze was pretty mild.

Nobody really gave much of a poo poo about pollution when the other fires happened.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My mom grew up in a somewhat industrial town, albeit a Northeastern one. She and her friends used to make bets every day about what color the river would be when they walked home from school.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Stocking Stranglings Part X: The Hunt for Carlton Gary

It’s been a while, thread. For those of you new to the story or who want to catch up, I suggest you hit the question mark and read through it again, but to explain… no, that would take too long. Let me sum up.

A serial killer tore his way through Columbus, Georgia in the late 1970s, specifically focusing on elderly white women, mostly in the well-to-do, old-money neighborhood of Wynnton. Seven women died with at least one more definitively being attacked, but she “fought like a tiger” and survived. The women were murdered by strangulation, sometimes after being beaten severely, sometimes being raped in the process. Most were strangled by a nylon stocking, sometimes taken off the victim’s body, hence the nom de morte “The Stocking Strangler”. The police made a few arrests but never had a solid lead, until a man called the Columbus Police Department out of the blue in 1984, asking about a gun that was taken in a robbery that may or may not have been connected to the killings. The gun led to an escaped violent convict in South Carolina who’d admitted to robbing restaurants in Columbus around the time of the murders. The convict’s fingerprints were found at one of the scenes of the crimes. The convict’s name was Carlton Gary and after a wait of several years, the hunt was loving ON.

Carlton Gary absconded from prison on March 15, 1984, after having served some time for a robbery of a Po’Folks restaurant in Gaffney, South Carolina. Upon his escape, the authorities in South Carolina alerted their compatriots in Columbus that a dangerous criminal may have been headed their way – Gary had family in the Columbus area, and have previously robbed several restaurants in Columbus, an act that (once offered immunity from prosecution) he freely admitted. Columbus was also a place where Carlton Gary felt special and successful. You see, prior to the whole “being a wanted criminal for multiple felonies” thing, Carlton Gary was a model and playboy who could walk into any club in downtown Columbus, not pay a dime for anything, and generally leave with whatever woman he fancied. Carlton Gary was the main face of The Movin’ Man, a well-known, primarily African-American clothing established on Broadway Street. Men and women of all races would have recognized him from the television commercials he starred in (consider, at the time, the scarcity of television channels in most households – being in a local television commercial was, comparatively speaking, a big deal).

Carlton did exactly as the prison authorities thought he would; he headed straight for Columbus, making frequent trips down to Gainesville to visit his long-time girlfriend Sheila Preston Dean and the two children she’d borne him. He made little effort to lay low, driving around in a flashy pink Lincoln Continental, dealing cocaine around town and robbing fast food restaurants through Columbus and nearby Phenix City, Alabama. He also resumed his status as the center of nightlife around the clubs in Columbus – a longtime bar owner (Floyd Washington of the F&W Control Tower, located on Ford Rd. in Columbus) had this to say:

Floyd Washington posted:

”Carlton used to come here virtually every other night before he went to prison, and when he got out, he started coming back… he was always a very sharp dresser, real neat. You never saw him in jeans and sneakers; he used to wear suits, sports coasts, top-line dress shirts and sometimes a little bow tie. You might almost think he was a businessman. Let me tell you, he never had a problem with the ladies. He was a very good dancer. Sometimes he’d move to rhythm and blues or soul music and the floor would just clear because people wanted to watch him, like in a scene from that movie Saturday Night Fever.”

This is, as we pore through interviews of people who’d known Gary pre-trial, a common view. Carlton Gary was a lothario, a player, a con man, a criminal, a hood, a stick-up man, but he had no problems finding women to sleep with him, or indeed to love him. The considered and continued doubt of those who’d known him well is not typical of serial killers; even stone-cold hunks like Ted Bundy had plenty of close acquaintances who’d attest to various creepy behaviors. Carlton, almost to a man, has a legion of people willing to protest that while he might not be a good man, he’s not a rapist and not a murderer. (Not that any of that particularly MEANS any one thing or another, I just find it interesting.)

After Gary’s escape from prison, Columbus Police caught the man they were looking for but didn’t know it. At 12:45 AM on April 18, 1984, Gary was smoking marijuana with two women and a man outside a nightclub on Fort Benning Drive. He was approached by police and while being searched, made a break for some nearby woods. A policeman suffered a broken finger in an ensuing struggle, and Gary was taken into custody, where he gave the alias Michael David. He was held overnight, printed, and charged with obstructing a police officer and possession of less than one ounce of marijuana – both misdemeanors at the time. :siren:Gary was released on a two hundred and fifty dollar bail:siren: and told to return for court on August 10th. His fingerprints had not yet been matched with the latent prints from the windowsill at the scene of the strangling.

After this brush with the law Carlton Gary did not leave Columbus, but he did seem to grow more cautious about being caught by the police. While he apparently believed that he was safe from returning to prison in South Carolina so long as he steered clear of that state, anyone involved in trafficking drugs and robbing restaurants would take such an event – getting caught and still getting to go free – as a gift not to be relied on twice. His luck would not hold.

On the evening of April 30th, the police had put two and two together – informants were commenting on a cocaine dealer driving a pink Continental named Michael David, and “Michael David”’s fingerprints had been matched with the prints at the scene of Kathleen Woodruff’s home, which of course matched Carlton Gary’s fingerprints. Frustrated that the man they’d wanted for years had slipped through their fingers, the police put their hunt into overdrive. Phenix City police cornered Carlton Gary inside Coweta apartments where he lay in bed naked with one of his girlfriends, Anita Hill (no, not the Anita Hill who’d been sexually harassed by Clarence Thomas). Carlton noticed a flashlight being shone outside, peeked through the curtains, spotted the cop car and fled via a fire escape in the back of the apartment, clutching his clothes and letting lil’ Carlton flap in the wind as he flew to freedom. His predilection for spending the night with women would catch up with him soon.

On the night of May 1, Carlton Gary was spending the night in a Holiday Inn on Victory Drive in Columbus. His companion for the evening was a woman named Ruby Miles, a long time acquaintance. She was enchanted by him, as apparently many women were, but seemed to connect with him as much intellectually as other women did physically. Calling him by his middle name Mike, she would remark years later…

Ruby Miles posted:

I still care a lot for Mike, because he took a lot of care over people himself. He always had time for my children. One time he bought them Easter baskets, dresses, shoes. My mother just loved him because he was so respectable, such a nice, sweet man.

When they met at the hotel, Ruby noticed that Gary was unusually tense, going so far as to hide behind the door with a .357 when she would leave the room. They made love that night, for the first and only time, and it would be the last time he would spend a relaxed night with a woman as a free man. After taking Ruby to her mother’s home the next morning, he phoned Anita Hill to let her know he was going to Albany (a town about sixty miles southeast of Columbus) to unload some cocaine. Unbeknownst to him, her phone was being tapped.

On the morning of May 3, Carlton checked into another Holiday Inn, this one on Oglethorpe Boulevard in Albany, Georgia. His companion this time was a woman from Columbus, Robin Odom. They checked into room 254. The police located him and set up posts in both rooms adjacent to him, and watched as Robin moved in and out of the room to fetch ice. On her third trip out, a detective stopped her in the corridor. She alerted the police that Carlton had his .357, and agreed to knock on the door for him to let her in, then step aside so the police could swarm him. When the time came she panicked – she knocked, but dropped the ice bucket and ran away. The police stormed the room anyway, pointing Mac-10 submachine guns at Gary. He eyed his gun, but threw his hands up and surrendered with one word: “okay”.

At long last, the cops had a man that they strongly believed killed seven elderly women in Columbus. But who was this man? How did he come to this life of crime? And what turns would lead to his conviction?

Next time: Who this man was! How he came to this life of crime! Twists and turns that lead to his conviction!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom

quote:

Christian and Newsom were leaving an apartment together on the evening of January 6, 2007 to go to a friend's party when they were abducted via her car from the apartment complex parking lot.

quote:

Newsom's body was discovered near a set of nearby railroad tracks. He had been bound, blindfolded, gagged, and stripped naked from the waist down. He had been shot in the back of the head, neck, and back, and his body had been set on fire. According to the testimony of the Knox County Acting Medical Examiner Dr. Darinka Mileusnic-Polchan at the trial of Eric Boyd, Newsom was sodomized with an object and raped by a person.

quote:

The medical examiner said that Channon died after hours of torture, suffering injuries to her vagina, anus, and mouth in repeated sexual assaults. Bleach was poured down her throat and used to scrub her body while she was alive in an attempt by her attackers to remove DNA evidence. She was bound with curtains and strips of bedding, her face covered with a trash bag, and her body stashed in five large trash bags. These were placed inside a residential waste disposal unit and covered with sheets. The medical examiner said there was evidence that Channon slowly suffocated to death.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I know a child who was beaten to death by an adult. I don't really want to give details that identify the person.

It's hard to know what to feel. I feel a lot of things, but what should I feel? I suppose at first I felt shock; not just that a person is dead, but that I didn't suspect that he could die. It hadn't been a consideration. It's idiotic to admit: I Didn't Think A Boy Could Die. But that's the thought, transcribed in real time, imprinting itself into my brain. Shock that a person could do it. I've felt the urge to hit, in that real-not-real way where I've joked, "Does this kid realize I could beat him up?" As in, of course life is not so simple, that we don't just use instincts, that we are something above instinct alone. But he did it. And it's hard not to return to: he beat him to death. Gosh, adult man, it seems like you sure went *overboard*!!!

I've thought about it from every angle, and I actually feel, in part, relieved (relieved! and yet, it's not a relief to feel relieved! in fact kind of the opposite!). There was nothing I could have done, really in the literal sense. It was out of my control. But this thought suddenly makes me sweat: not in my control. Not in my control. Nothing I could do. There was nothing you could do. It's not your fault, you couldn't help him. You couldn't save him. There is nothing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Some people are bad, mmk?

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I had a cousin who was killed at a very young age. Some people make very poor choices and do horrible things. You have to accept that other peoples' actions are not yours to control.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

nocal posted:

I know a child who was beaten to death by an adult. I don't really want to give details that identify the person.

A very distant cousin of mine (that I'd never met or known) killed a kid. I felt sort of the same way, kept putting myself in the room and stopping him from doing it, or trying to figure out what variables led to that day happening that way, but in the end all you can do is try to help the survivors.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jesus gently caress, just when I think this thread might remain comfortably regurgitated stuff something like that Christian and Newsom poo poo gets dropped. Hadn't seen that one before...thanks a lot thread. That poo poo is as bad as the other most horrible topic I find in this thread, the Hi-Fi murders. Both are astonishingly disturbing for me because of how they combine an insane level of cruelty, violence, and suffering with a complete randomness when it comes to the targets attacked. The most horrifying cases of wrong place and wrong time that somehow bring to life horror movie clichés that you thought were just that.
Those two cases are the ones that stay with me sometimes when I close the thread. :ghost:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The Christian and Newsom thing was the one where they were a nice preppy white couple and the killers were black, right? I feel like I've seen that splashed around sites like Freep to make some kind of racist point about how whites are the real victims in America.

Doesn't lessen the horror of the crime itself, of course.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

moller posted:

The beer is pretty good, though.

Burn on, big river
burn on

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

This is really hosed up.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

stickyfngrdboy posted:

This is really hosed up.
But on a lighter note, I'm glad I read it, because it also contained this bit:

quote:

During this time, the sentencing judge, Richard Baumgartner, one of Knox County's three Criminal Court judges, was forced to resign from the bench in March 2011. He had admitted to being addicted to drugs and to having sex and purchasing pills from convicts during breaks in court sessions.

How did he even find the time??

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

nocal posted:

It's hard to know what to feel. I feel a lot of things, but what should I feel? I suppose at first I felt shock; not just that a person is dead, but that I didn't suspect that he could die. It hadn't been a consideration. It's idiotic to admit: I Didn't Think A Boy Could Die. But that's the thought, transcribed in real time, imprinting itself into my brain. Shock that a person could do it. I've felt the urge to hit, in that real-not-real way where I've joked, "Does this kid realize I could beat him up?" As in, of course life is not so simple, that we don't just use instincts, that we are something above instinct alone. But he did it. And it's hard not to return to: he beat him to death. Gosh, adult man, it seems like you sure went *overboard*!!!

I've thought about it from every angle, and I actually feel, in part, relieved (relieved! and yet, it's not a relief to feel relieved! in fact kind of the opposite!). There was nothing I could have done, really in the literal sense. It was out of my control. But this thought suddenly makes me sweat: not in my control. Not in my control. Nothing I could do. There was nothing you could do. It's not your fault, you couldn't help him. You couldn't save him. There is nothing.

That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope they nail the bastard to the wall.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So this happened in my neighborhood almost 200 years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_Stranger

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

AGirlWonder posted:

I had a cousin who was killed at a very young age. Some people make very poor choices and do horrible things. You have to accept that other peoples' actions are not yours to control.

My cousin was almost killed by a serial killer when she was a teenager. She had met a man at a concert and foolishly gave him her address. He came to her house and offered her a ride to school. Once in the car, he suggested ditching school and going somewhere private. She decided not to take him up on the offer and he dropped her off.

The cars owner's body was in the trunk the entire time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mostlygray posted:

My cousin was almost killed by a serial killer when she was a teenager. She had met a man at a concert and foolishly gave him her address. He came to her house and offered her a ride to school. Once in the car, he suggested ditching school and going somewhere private. She decided not to take him up on the offer and he dropped her off.

She still got a free ride to school though, that's pretty cool.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mostlygray posted:

Link the serial killer's wiki entry, please. If you're comfortable doing that.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Chichevache posted:

Link the serial killer's wiki entry, please. If you're comfortable doing that.

I'm interested as well. Because she wasn't a victim there probably isn't anything about this in any wiki/articles, which is what makes it such an interesting little encounter.

Was it Bundy, Dahmer, or someone else who was either pulled over or went through a checkpoint (iirc a checkpoint that was set up to catch the serial killer the police were looking for) with a dead body in their trunk. They played it cool enough the officer had them move along/drive off with warning about a broken light. I may be getting facts confused/added but I also want to say the officer noted a similarity between the person he was looking at in the car and a sketch of the killer, but the guy just gave off no red flags of any kind, more like the opposite if there is such a thing. So much so that the officer was sure it was just a coincidence. Whomever it was gets caught the next day/week. I'm thinking it is Bundy but does this ring any bells for anyone? I want to point out again that I could be completely confusing/combining 2 people or 1 person and a movie, etc. It is bothering me that I can't remember this though.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Infyrno posted:

I'm interested as well. Because she wasn't a victim there probably isn't anything about this in any wiki/articles, which is what makes it such an interesting little encounter.

Was it Bundy, Dahmer, or someone else who was either pulled over or went through a checkpoint (iirc a checkpoint that was set up to catch the serial killer the police were looking for) with a dead body in their trunk.
I remember this too, and my memory is suggesting that the killer had the body chopped up in sealed garbage bags in the trunk. I don't think it was Dahmer (I have a vague memory that it was someone with adult female victims). Might have been Bundy, but I thought it was someone else. I went through a phase of reading about serial killers, but it's been a long time.

The story that always stuck in my head about Bundy was about one potential victim who got away. She was a waitress, I think, and he had her in his car and wouldn't let her go. She told him "please, my 5-year-old daughter is sleeping alone at home and I don't know what she'll do if she wakes up and I'm not there," and she said something changed in his face and he stopped the car and let her out. Like he had a small moment of humanity that broke through. For some reason that makes him creepier to me than if he were straight-up evil 100% of the time. Like, somewhere inside him there was a human being, and then he did all those horrible things anyway.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

pookel posted:

I remember this too, and my memory is suggesting that the killer had the body chopped up in sealed garbage bags in the trunk. I don't think it was Dahmer (I have a vague memory that it was someone with adult female victims). Might have been Bundy, but I thought it was someone else. I went through a phase of reading about serial killers, but it's been a long time.

The story that always stuck in my head about Bundy was about one potential victim who got away. She was a waitress, I think, and he had her in his car and wouldn't let her go. She told him "please, my 5-year-old daughter is sleeping alone at home and I don't know what she'll do if she wakes up and I'm not there," and she said something changed in his face and he stopped the car and let her out. Like he had a small moment of humanity that broke through. For some reason that makes him creepier to me than if he were straight-up evil 100% of the time. Like, somewhere inside him there was a human being, and then he did all those horrible things anyway.
There's a good chance he didn't want anyone looking for her for a while, instead of having any empathy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well the whole psychopaths are murder robots is ridiculous and is way too common a belief. It's just their own needs always come first. They are perfectly capable of empathy and mercy it's just usually that's not what's important to them.

quote:

There's a good chance he didn't want anyone looking for her for a while, instead of having any empathy.
So you think he decided a living witness was better than a 5 yr old wondering where her mommy was?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

Could be Ed Kemper, the Co-Ed Killer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Kemper. He had a habit of driving around with dismembered bodies in his trunk, including his mother's head. I don't recall him ever being almost caught at a checkpoint though, so it may have been Bundy.

Anyway serial killers are each their own hosed up mix of disorders and past traumas, so there's no general rule to follow that will make one more likely to let you go. Some, like Dahmer, actually do have a good amount of "humanity" left, but from what I've read I don't think Bundy was one of these. He seemed like the paranoid schemer type, so I'd think its more likely he realized a woman with a kid would be reported missing much more quickly than he wanted. Who loving knows.

They say similar things about women in a rape scenario. Its impossible to know whether fighting back may cause the attacker to run off(kinda like punching a shark and making it realize there's easier prey elsewhere), or just anger him and turn things potentially deadly.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Darkhold posted:

Well the whole psychopaths are murder robots is ridiculous and is way too common a belief. It's just their own needs always come first. They are perfectly capable of empathy and mercy it's just usually that's not what's important to them.
So you think he decided a living witness was better than a 5 yr old wondering where her mommy was?

A living witness with a vague description of the perpetrator of a crime that was not murder is probably better than an APB out for a missing mommy he just killed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

pookel posted:

In this graphic novel by Derf who was actually friends with Dahmer, we see just how tragic he was and where he came from. Dahmer really was human beneath the horrible things he did, and he's just another example of how society can fail people when they need help the most.

That's the scary thing about serial killers, rapists, and other "monsters": they're human, just like anyone else. A person can do awful, terrible things and still pet dogs, laugh with their friends, cry at funerals, and other normal things. They're people, and the biggest mistake we -- and especially the law -- make is to assume they're subhuman.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Screaming Idiot posted:

In this graphic novel by Derf who was actually friends with Dahmer, we see just how tragic he was and where he came from. Dahmer really was human beneath the horrible things he did, and he's just another example of how society can fail people when they need help the most.

That's the scary thing about serial killers, rapists, and other "monsters": they're human, just like anyone else. A person can do awful, terrible things and still pet dogs, laugh with their friends, cry at funerals, and other normal things. They're people, and the biggest mistake we -- and especially the law -- make is to assume they're subhuman.

:monocle: you mean Satan himself didn't plant them on earth to torture us?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

:monocle: you mean Satan himself didn't plant them on earth to torture us?

This actually created quite a big derail not that long ago. Some people have a really hard time with the idea that a human being will always be a human being no matter what horrible things they've done.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

This actually created quite a big derail not that long ago. Some people have a really hard time with the idea that a human being will always be a human being no matter what horrible things they've done.

No that I find far more unnerving than people doing what people have always done, kill.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Having read the Ann Rule book on him, and a couple others, I doubt this. People are complicated. He was complicated. Just like ordinary people can snap and do terrible things, terrible people can have small moments of humanity. The woman said that his expression changed dramatically, like he seemed to "snap out of it." Many of the other victims had people waiting for them, and that didn't stop him, but learning that her child would be left home alone had a different effect on him. He'd had a troubled childhood himself; maybe in some way he related to this child.

None of this excuses him from anything or makes him a better person. It's just that, well, people are complicated.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Not entirely sure if this counts as an article or story, so much as it's a "personal page". I'm sure most of you know about this site, so why not check it out for nostalgia's sake; and for those who don't, enjoy...

Shaye Saint John

Obligatory warning: This site doesn't work on mobile because it's old, so to get the full experience, you need to use a computer. Also, make sure your volume is on. Make sure it's not too high, though, unless you want to poo poo your pants. As far as I can tell browsing, the entire site is safe for work, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's creepy and unnerving as gently caress. It's necessary to navigate the whole site to really get the full experience.

Backstory: The creator was Eric Fournier, an LA-based artist who passed away on February 25, 2010, from complications related to his alcohol abuse. He was 42 years old.

In this story, there are two Shaye Saint Johns. First, in myth, supermodel Shaye Saint John is disfigured in a freak accident and subjected to a series of horrific mind-control experiments by the CIA. Eric Fournier, shy and genius artist, takes her under his wing and helps her create art for a wider audience. Second, in reality, Shaye Saint John is a rubber mask and deflated costume draped over a wheelchair when not worn by Eric Fournier, shy and genius artist. Battling alcoholism and overflowing with ideas, he uses the Shaye character to create art while deflecting the spotlight away from himself.

[he] explains the Shaye Saint John origin story like this: After being struck by a train, former model Shaye spent many months in the hospital and lost both arms and both legs. She uses a wheelchair and doll-like mannequin limbs. During her time in the hospital, the CIA [the Central Intelligence Agency, not the California Institute of Abnormalarts] performed mind-control experiments on her, until she was the "most implanted person in the world." As a result, her behavior is a bit odd.

Spoiler'd backstory taken from here.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Infyrno posted:

Was it Bundy, Dahmer, or someone else who was either pulled over or went through a checkpoint (iirc a checkpoint that was set up to catch the serial killer the police were looking for) with a dead body in their trunk. They played it cool enough the officer had them move along/drive off with warning about a broken light. I may be getting facts confused/added but I also want to say the officer noted a similarity between the person he was looking at in the car and a sketch of the killer, but the guy just gave off no red flags of any kind, more like the opposite if there is such a thing. So much so that the officer was sure it was just a coincidence. Whomever it was gets caught the next day/week. I'm thinking it is Bundy but does this ring any bells for anyone? I want to point out again that I could be completely confusing/combining 2 people or 1 person and a movie, etc. It is bothering me that I can't remember this though.

I thought this was the Zodiac killer but I can't seem to find anything on it

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Well, the Zodiac killer was never caught, so nobody would have known about the body in the trunk...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

Well, the Zodiac killer was never caught, so nobody would have known about the body in the trunk...

So the only way somebody would know about the incident...

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
....is if THEY were the body in the trunk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm the dismembered body in the trunk.