Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
So now that Horse Lords is out I decided to try applying my experience modding EUIV towards modding CK2. I'm trying to make the Zoroastrian group a bit more interesting by making Manicheanism its own religion, and by giving the other Zoro heresies their own unique features, like how the Catholic heresies play completely different from Catholicism.

I'll post a link to it here when I'm finished with my work– the Localization stuff is a bit of a pain to work with compared to EUIV, but the rest of CK2's code is easier to work with than I expected. I've already added Zurvanism as a new Zoroastrian heresy, but aside from a jokey "Darkness" religion I can't think of a good heresy for Manicheanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Spiderfist Island posted:

I'll post a link to it here when I'm finished with my work– the Localization stuff is a bit of a pain to work with compared to EUIV, but the rest of CK2's code is easier to work with than I expected. I've already added Zurvanism as a new Zoroastrian heresy, but aside from a jokey "Darkness" religion I can't think of a good heresy for Manicheanism.

From my admittedly light reading, Manicheans believe that the material is evil and the spiritual is good, rather than the Zoroastrian belief that Darkness is evil and Light is good.
Perhaps a heresy that has the material as good would be appropriate.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Did invasions always flip the culture and religion of the lands you take? I was playing as a rump Bolghar khaganate in Perm after the cumans took my poo poo, Invaded Cumania like 5 years later and now almost everything in the steppe are sunni bolghar provinces.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Buschmaki posted:

Did invasions always flip the culture and religion of the lands you take? I was playing as a rump Bolghar khaganate in Perm after the cumans took my poo poo, Invaded Cumania like 5 years later and now almost everything in the steppe are sunni bolghar provinces.

Nomads instant change religion and culture in empty lands.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

So now that Horse Lords is out I decided to try applying my experience modding EUIV towards modding CK2. I'm trying to make the Zoroastrian group a bit more interesting by making Manicheanism its own religion, and by giving the other Zoro heresies their own unique features, like how the Catholic heresies play completely different from Catholicism.

I did something similar a while ago but I never really got very far. For Manichean heresies I went for the Albanense and the Astati after a little bit of research, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge could come up with something better. People on the Paradox forums seem to like making Mandaeism a Manichean heresy, but I'm not so sold, though Mandaeism would be neat to have in-game.

Edit: I also put Yazidi as a Zoroastrian heresy to take the place of Manicheanism, but then I had some trouble coming up with a heresy to replace its place for the Sunnis. I don't have the files anymore either, not that it would have helped much since they were extremely amateur and had almost no work in it. I'm sure that by this point you have something far better than what I had.

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 18, 2015

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Tried to take advantage of a temporarily weakened Byzantine Empire and started a war to make them pay tribute. Took out a 7k stack of them with the bullshit 10k horse archer ensemble that being a horde lets you have, and waited for the inevitable regroup whilst beseiging Constantinople.

A few weeks in and their remaining 14k troops appear on my left, I'm fairly confident. Just start the fight when 18k more troops belonging to a sultanate come in from anatolia and join the byzantines, wrecking my army.

Confused as hell, I find out the sultanate's base is the kingdom of Jerusalem and over half his troops are event spawned. A shia pretender had successfully rebelled against the fractured sunni, befriended the local patriach and converted to orthodox christianity. And allied with the only other orthodox power.

Byzantines and Jerusalem don't have anything to stop them tearing Islam a new one, though just after I got trounced the game triggered Jihads. Guess crusades will be for spain this game.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

How do you get the catholic heresies on purpose? I always wanted to get that one where you can make females equal but i've only ever gotten the lovely ones where nothing changes

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Goofballs posted:

How do you get the catholic heresies on purpose? I always wanted to get that one where you can make females equal but i've only ever gotten the lovely ones where nothing changes

Get some lovely bishops and have them research cultural tech, I believe. That increases the chances of heretical poo poo, right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I seem to recall someone mentioning that you could play as "The western part of the Chinese Empire". What startdate and character is that?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

According to this paradox plaza post Manicheanism had one group that didn't really follow any of the various Manichean prescription and on the other hand ultra-hardliners. On the other hand they list one of them as being Denawars who as far as I can tell were just Sogdians who had a hard time communicating with the formal head of Manicheanism so they established their own but had not doctrinal differences. so it might not be the most accurate. I suppose they might make sense as a "regional" heresy that maybe follows orthodoxy rules for religious heads.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Goofballs posted:

Conspire to have holy wars and crusades fail. Destroy the moral authority from the inside.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Goofballs posted:

Have a chaplain research cultural tech or whatever in your main province, and choose the theology focus. I managed to convert to Cathar through an event I got because my ruler was possessed and had the "Voice of Jesus" modifier, but that one's a bit harder to rely on.

Edit: I really hope Paradox does a patch or DLC that expands on heresies at some point. A lot of them feel like they could be fun to play, but lack unique mechanics and flair.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 18, 2015

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

You can. I just started a game at the 1066 bookmark and swore fealty to the Byzantines as the king of Croatia to check.

Maybe it only works if you swear, then. The moment the Byzantines conquered my Venice, my game ended.

And my new game is not getting any openings since my chancellor won't make any claims and Hungary formed a big pagan wall that I won't be able to get through, anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anonononomous posted:

Maybe it only works if you swear, then. The moment the Byzantines conquered my Venice, my game ended.

And my new game is not getting any openings since my chancellor won't make any claims and Hungary formed a big pagan wall that I won't be able to get through, anyway.

Depending on the cassus belli they might have just seized all titles instead of making you a vassal.

Is anyone else's 'give all titles under' not working right? Playing as Byzantines, when I give a duchy to someone after conquering some lands it gives everything except the temple holdings. I can't manually 'give landed title' to give those away either; I have to make a vassal for them then transfer vassalage.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Broken Cog posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioning that you could play as "The western part of the Chinese Empire". What startdate and character is that?

I don't think there's any available start date where this is quite accurate, although the Khara-Khitan and the Wanyan clan under the Liao in the 1066 date are (historically speaking) very sinicized. There's a guy on the Paradox forums (the same one who did the rad 900 start) making a 750 start date, at which point the Tarim basin would be under the Tang dynasty and invading the Abbasids.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
There really should be a mechanism by which you are forced into becoming feudal after conquering great empires.

I mean, this was more or less what happened with steppe nomads. As it is I can't help but feel the nomad mechanics are broken as hell, as there seems to be no incentive--which there is with tribal governments--to adopt the trappings of "civilization" Eg castles, agriculture, etc.

I mean seriously why give up endless gold and unstoppable hordes?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 19, 2015

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

why does my khazaria keep fracturing into constituent clans when my ruler dies? thought it was a bug, maybe, but I've tried it a few times and it always happens. I'm using the beta patch too. Am I missing something? I don't have Sons of Abraham DLC, so IDK if playing as a Jewish ruler without the DLC is part of it. I can't take concubines either, even though the "Details" window says I can, and my vassal clans are Jewish and have concubines (they keep stealing the few good Jewish women I want to marry my sons to)

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm not sure exactly what they added in the most recent update, but it appears to have been quite lucrative for my ongoing Ironman Game.

Upon loading the game, it immediately unlocked 9 achievements, and while my Prestige and Piety are now off the charts, my Income varies wildly every time I reload. As you can see in the screenshot, I'm a few hundred thousand gold in the red, but after quitting and reloading, I was north of 1,000,000 gold with a monthly income of 200,000+.

Any idea why this has happened? I've spent a few centuries presiding over little more than the Isle of Man, yet this sudden windfall has made me the most wealthy, popular ruler in human history.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

ecavalli posted:

I'm not sure exactly what they added in the most recent update, but it appears to have been quite lucrative for my ongoing Ironman Game.

Upon loading the game, it immediately unlocked 9 achievements, and while my Prestige and Piety are now off the charts, my Income varies wildly every time I reload. As you can see in the screenshot, I'm a few hundred thousand gold in the red, but after quitting and reloading, I was north of 1,000,000 gold with a monthly income of 200,000+.

Any idea why this has happened? I've spent a few centuries presiding over little more than the Isle of Man, yet this sudden windfall has made me the most wealthy, popular ruler in human history.

The save is corrupted, you aren't supposed to be playing those saves anymore.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The save is corrupted, you aren't supposed to be playing those saves anymore.

Obviously, but why is it corrupted? Because the game has been updated? It was working fine just prior to the launch of the Horse Lords DLC.

Is this the case every time they patch CK2, or just major patches that coincide with DLC launches?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

major patches and map overhauls will break saves

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ah. Well, c'est la vie. I was only ruling the Isle of Man to tide me over until Horse Lords anyway.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
What the gently caress, if you are the wrong religion you can't raise mercs?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
What happens if I granted my son a feudal title, and he inherits my khaganate? Does it settle the khaganate or does he go back to being nomadic?

e:started a new game and used console to check, looks like his primary title goes back to being the khaganate. Phew

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 19, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Quick question, weren't Italians supposed to use nonstandard portraits?

e:

Iberians and Byzantines have their portraits activated and working.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 19, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Schizotek posted:

Quick question, weren't Italians supposed to use nonstandard portraits?

e:

Iberians and Byzantines have their portraits activated and working.
It's fixed in the beta patch.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hey groogy can we please get a "ransom all outsiders" button?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

What the gently caress, if you are the wrong religion you can't raise mercs?
Religion and culture! Apparently sell-swords feel very deeply not only about distance, but religion and culture as well.

Having lots of mercs and holy orders is just about the only advantage, aside from numbers and pope-gold, to being a Catholic.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hey groogy can we please get a "ransom all outsiders" button?
One of the fantasy mods I tried had this. On the other hand, also making it more bloody obvious which prisoners are ransomable would work as well. (Barely tinted shades are poo poo)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Please add an option to all human sacrifice events to sacrifice everyone in the dungeons at once, thanks in advance.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

It's really putting a damper on my Somali Buddhist merchant republic game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah mercenaries don't seem that important sometimes until you're a religion/culture that doesn't get to play around with them.

If people are going to talk about desired expansions, I'd like something that developed mercenaries/holy orders some more.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This is my first game of CK2 and I have a million questions.

First up; why is this Eire and not Ireland? I created the Ireland title.

What is my optimal setup as far as counties to hold? I seem to have penalties from my vassals for holding too many duchies.

How do I arrange my counties/duchies without pissing everyone off?

Unlanded sons? Is that a problem?

Title loss on succession, what's the best way to get that back? Looks like it will go to England when that guys dies. I'm trying to kill the heir but this may not work.

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

What is my optimal setup as far as counties to hold? I seem to have penalties from my vassals for holding too many duchies.

Title loss on succession, what's the best way to get that back? Looks like it will go to England when that guys dies. I'm trying to kill the heir but this may not work.

Pretty Sure Eire is the non feudal name for Ireland if you switch later it will turn to Ireland. I'm not 100% on that. Unlanded sons mean that some of your sons do not have land of their own. I usually try to have as few vassals as humanly possible, and prefer to give land to the ones that like me and have similar traits to my character. Never give a ambitious fucker land, you will regret it later when he is starting civil wars.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Red_Fred posted:

You are Irish culture, so it is translated to Gaelic.

Hold the duchy your capital is in, plus one other one that is rich.

Unlanded sons lose you prestige, this usually isn't a big deal. If you really must land the crappy sons in towns or churches, but not baronies.

Change your succession type or try and get the guy an heir that can inherit, depending on what type of title is going to be lost.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

The name might have to do with what you selected to be your primary title, but I don't remember.

Hold counties with a lot of castles. They give you larger troop numbers you can call on whenever with no vassals getting mad, and it also means that factions need to get bigger to have enough power to challenge you. Duchies are a different matter since they don't correlate directly with owning land, although there are usually counties that a ducal title is "supposed" to hold (de jure) and dukes get mad if they don't hold those counties, and powerful counts will likewise get prissy if they do not hold their de jure ducal title. You can see who wants what by looking at their opinions of you; some guys will have things like "Desires the country of X" which is caused by you owning a county that is de jure theirs, and "Desires the Duchy of X" is caused by owning the ducal title that is the de jure owner of a number of counties they own.

So how to manage it without pissing people off? Try to match up your ducal titles with the counties you want to hold, and vice versa. Outside of that, just tough it out and give vassals the finger. Giving away a troop rich county to appease a duke can often just result in the prick joining a faction against you anyways, and the very last thing you need in the world is a duke that has as many or more troops than you. You are going to want to get rid of some ducal titles, so just figure out what counties suck and then give some content family member those titles and never care about them again.

Unlanded sons isn't really a problem but they'll whine at you but who cares. Remember that, while sons will be loyal to their dad, they'll be possible pretenders to the throne for the next heir. So land your heir if you want to (it helps give them some prestige, in any case), but I wouldn't worry so much about any others past that.

Killing the heir of a title you want to maintain can be a good start but make sure the dude doesn't have a huge family. You can also plot to revoke their title, or just revoke it and annoy everyone. You can also raise the Crown Authority laws to a point that it prevents that sort of thing, but you probably don't have enough Legalism tech to do that.

e: You can own 7 counties and you only have 2, so don't worry about giving those away. Look instead to find means to gain control of good counties, preferably away from strong and whiny vassals. Try to own all the castles in your capital, as well, so figure out a way to screw over those barons if you can.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 19, 2015

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

King-tier characters can only swear fealty to their de jure emperor. So Afghanistan could swear fealty to the Persian Emperor, but France can't.

Is this a horse Lord change? As in Charlemagne a popular strategy is to get everything needed to form the HRE but instead swear to the byzantines then take them from within for a mega empire.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Red_Fred posted:

Many titles have cultural names, meaning that the name of the title will change depending on the culture of the holder. Eire is the Irish name for Ireland.

quote:

There are a few different philosophies on how best to arrange your demesne. Some prefer to hold every county in a Duchy (in the case of Ireland, which has smaller than average duchies, you can usually hold more than one), others prefer to hold a single rich county and every barony in that county. There's pros and cons to each, but those are the two main recommended ways to run your own lands. As to your duchy problem, it looks like you hold the duchies of Meath, Lienster and Munster, which will make your vassals feel like you are hoarding power. You can live with that malus, or give out the duchy titles to your vassals. They will take the other counts as their vassals if you do.

quote:

Not really, it will slow the rate at which you gain prestige, though, and generally speaking unlanded people have fewer kids*, so your dynasty will remain smaller if you can't find land for them. You can give them land you own, conquer new lands for them, or revoke lands from your vassals, though this will piss everyone off if you have no claim on the land (you could try fabricating a claim).

*it's not quite that simple but you don't need a complete breakdown of how court limits work as a beginner

quote:

Just because the game warns of a possible title transfer out of the realm doesn't mean it will always happen, and what to do about it will depend on the specifics, who is the vassal in danger, and what's the status of the heir? If they're a foreign landholder that's a definite problem, the child of a foreign landowner is dicey, but in most other cases it's not actually an issue.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ireland is just called Eire for Irish-culture characters. Various titles get renamed depending on what culture the holder is.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fuligin posted:

I don't think there's any available start date where this is quite accurate, although the Khara-Khitan and the Wanyan clan under the Liao in the 1066 date are (historically speaking) very sinicized. There's a guy on the Paradox forums (the same one who did the rad 900 start) making a 750 start date, at which point the Tarim basin would be under the Tang dynasty and invading the Abbasids.

For my Rise of Islam mod I was originally planning to add in the Tarim Basin along with the Song and Tang dynasties being playable (as well as Wu Zhou) and now Paradox has done one step for me. :v:

I have a lot of plans for the Steppes, plus trying to figure out how to make the pre-Islamic Berbers and Bedouins nomads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Whenever I pillage holdings, they aren't destroyed. It's annoying me.

• Locked thread