Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kayakyakr posted:

Kraskinski, Brie, Arnett and Hathaway have definitely been the most entertaining of the results.

Emma Stone absolutely killed it on the Tonight Show, would love to see her have a whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

I agree. I enjoy watching people I find funny and entertaining be funny and entertaining. I mean, God drat, you have John Kraskinki in a gold dress performing "Proud Mary". That's really all I need.

That sounds terrible.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Irish Joe posted:

I'm not a big fan of celebrity culture. I don't have idols. I'm not awed by fame. Just because a person is on television doesn't mean I respect them or have any interest in seeing them outside their role as entertainers

I love that you say this, but then...

quote:

Its boring and tedious exhibitionism for people who buy into that kind of crap. For the rest of us, its just a whole lot of nothing.

...coming from the guy who can't stop finding ways to hate "Harmontown" but will never, ever stop listening.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Typical straight people appropriating dragqueen culture. It's sickening

This is actually really offensive, it's a baseless stereotype that drag queens are incapable of singing and can only mouth words to songs.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I don't know if you guys know this but there is a lot more lip synching going on than just this one show about it

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't know if you guys know this but there is a lot more lip synching going on than just this one show about it

At first I was going to make a snide remark, but then I suddenly imagined a world-wide secret shadowy lip synching cabal that is secretly planning to take over the world and was very entertained.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

back in the '80s there was some lip-synching show that came on before SNL, I don't remember if it was on NBC or what but my brother and I would watch it while waiting for SNL. I only really remember it because they did some kind of tourney at the end of the season and would bring back previous winners in a show down. The guy who would always win did some kind of robot thing where he'd pretend to be an animatronic military guy, I don't even remember what song he did. I just remember his creepy looking robot dance. Anyway that was the last time I gave a poo poo about lip-synching otherwise I'm pretty much in agreement with Irish Joe.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It was called Puttin' On The Hits. Back then, it was dumb and crappy. Now, it is Tonight Show level comedy.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Steve Vader posted:

It was called Puttin' On The Hits. Back then, it was dumb and crappy. Now, it is Tonight Show level comedy.

That host is creepy.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

There is a pretty big difference between watching randoms lip-sync earnestly and watching celebrities do it ironically.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

thexerox123 posted:

There is a pretty big difference between watching randoms lip-sync earnestly and watching celebrities do it ironically.

Is there?

Celebrity lip-syncing sounds like the punchline in a joke a bout terrible TV. "My girlfriend is always watching (some lovely show) but at least it's not celebrity lip syncing."

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Was cruising through a full rewatch and S04 has stopped me dead in my tracks...
The writing is so hackneyed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

I don't quite think it's all that ironic. They seem to be doing it earnestly for the laughs.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't quite think it's all that ironic. They seem to be doing it earnestly for the laughs.

I probably should have said "in a self-aware way" instead of ironically.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Was cruising through a full rewatch and S04 has stopped me dead in my tracks...
The writing is so hackneyed.

don't watch it.
don't watch television that you don't like and is bad. On your deathbed, are you going to give a drat that you watched season 4 of community? I won't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I read that as 504 and thought he meant the polygraph episode and was like whaaaa

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Cooperative Polygraphy is a stone cold classic.

"He did mean to say Butts Carlton."

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
My wife and I are in the middle of a rewatch. We just finished Remedial Chaos Theory and now I am wondering: "Would the group be better off without Jeff?" Maybe it's a stupid question since there would be no group with Jeff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

alpha_destroy posted:

My wife and I are in the middle of a rewatch. We just finished Remedial Chaos Theory and now I am wondering: "Would the group be better off without Jeff?" Maybe it's a stupid question since there would be no group with Jeff.

The first episode of Season 5 basically answers this question, doesn't it?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

computer parts posted:

The first episode of Season 5 basically answers this question, doesn't it?

Yea I suppose. I had forgotten about that and the ending of Remedial Chaos Theory was fresh in my mind.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I mean, that did seem to be the takeaway from that episode, which was quite strange that it never really came up again.

It hit a little close to home for me, 'cause I am always trying not to be the sneering aloof guy who would be like "Don't sing."

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

alpha_destroy posted:

Dan Harmon talks about the theme of that episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kClvthueOuU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Joel McHale confirmed there won't be a 7th season, which seemed pretty obvious at this point but is still nice to know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But will there be a (n online) movie?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

RIP Community

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

No.

Its time to just accept that everybody involved with Community is sick of Community. Maybe in ten years when Chevy is long dead and Donald Glover is eating out of garbage cans, but not this year, and not for awhile.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

About a month ago at Comic-Con Dan said that he wanted to "let the actors enjoy their careers, branch out a bit, and then when things get serious with the film [we] can all come together and make a great film". WHEN that happens could take a good while, though.

Also,

Variety posted:

A rep for Sony, which produces the comedy, said “Community” has yet to be officially canceled. A spokesperson for Yahoo! Screen also did not confirm that it has been canceled.

“We’ve seen tremendous value in our partnership with Sony and are continuing to discuss future opportunities for Community,” Yahoo said in a statement.

I'd still bank on one last hurrah in film form because Yahoo will surely toss a ton of money at everyone to make sure it happens, but after that it's clear the show is over.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

GrandpaPants posted:

RIP Community

RIP Yahoo Screen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wet Hot American Summer is proof that crazier things have happened than a Community reunion movie a few years from now, but I really hope they don't rush it and try to force something with half the cast before there's even any reason to feel nostalgia for the show. Either do it right or not at all.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 4, 2015

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

RIP Greendale thanks for 5 great seasons

#teamhawthornewasagoodcharacter

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It was a pretty great show, and I'm glad it was around as long as it could be.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Man, if they wanted a movie they should just do it now. Bringing a cast back together after a few years is tough poo poo, just see Arrested Development.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Man, if they wanted a movie they should just do it now. Bringing a cast back together after a few years is tough poo poo, just see Arrested Development.

Umm, it was just mentioned 3 posts ago: WHAS just got released and loving nailed it. It's totally possible to do this sort of thing right.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vegetable posted:

It's not like they've had the full cast together for quite a while anyway, so I don't know why you think everyone's any more available now than they will be later. Community had a satisfying ending, so there's no rush to put out a reunion to tie up loose ends or anything. If they can get the cast together (including Donald Glover since a movie without him would be bullshit) one last time after people have had a chance to miss the show a bit, great. If not, it's really not the end of the world.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Spacebump posted:

RIP Yahoo Screen.

Naw, they still have those two NFL games to screw up in spectacular fashion.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
gently caress, everyone related to this show is bad at communicating with each other. Yahoo spoke out against what Joel said and stated their in negotiations. Community manages to get cancelled every season but will apparently resuscitate equally as much.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Shneak posted:

gently caress, everyone related to this show is bad at communicating with each other. Yahoo spoke out against what Joel said and stated their in negotiations. Community manages to get cancelled every season but will apparently resuscitate equally as much.

If anything, that's a negotiation tactic on that part of Joel and the cast. If Yahoo really wants a season 7, they are going to have to pay up. I honestly think the biggest hurdle would be getting Dan Harmon to write it.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
There really should not be a season seven, the series has run its course and lost half its cast. Just let everyone move on to other projects and watch other things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If there is a movie, I'll lay decent odds it'll be a timeskip of a few years, everyone's moved on a bit, and it's in part about Abed having pitched the concept of Community as a sitcom. (remember, Dan Harmon was inspired by his own college study group, so I feel like that level of meta circle would please him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

If there is a movie, I'll lay decent odds it'll be a timeskip of a few years, everyone's moved on a bit, and it's in part about Abed having pitched the concept of Community as a sitcom. (remember, Dan Harmon was inspired by his own college study group, so I feel like that level of meta circle would please him)

Ron Howard is interested.

• Locked thread