Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my almost 100% surely counterfeit USB cable for my yaesu came in. it's too hot to go and mess with right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
it works. praise shenzhen.

u gotta do a little more song and dance tho than with a uv-5r. hold down power button (like low/med/hi power button) while u turn it on. then u press the mhz button to 'tx' the data to the radio. then i gotta press something else once im done setting this image up. gonna be cool to set up banks. is there a 'best practices' for memory banks or is it w/e u wanna do? 200 memory slots should be plenty. im just glad it works w/ chirp. less software to learn. need to get a small usb stick to store this stuff on. keep my netbook in the vehicle and then id have an easy way to field program this poo poo in the field.

e: i wish there was a '100 miles of $ZIP' option in chirp repeaterbook instead of just by county. that don't work so well out here in the sticks, lol.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 19, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
so, for this kenwood 2m im getting from jonny290 tomorrow, i needed to get a microphone for it

so i ordered a 9.95 china slowboat special thinking "eh it will be good enough" then immediately the next day said "wait that's not how i operate i need the real loving mic, this is kenwood, it will be night and day"

well, i was right, it is night and day, just look at the fuckin difference in the elements lol:

$10 china junker:

$70 OEM kenwood part:

just a slight difference there?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
oh, also, i think i posted some earlier versions of this in the stupid spare time projects thread, but, i think i've finally finished up my DC connectors/parts bin

since i got sick of digging powerpoles out of ziplocks i just organized all my dc parts and from what i've collected i think i have pretty much anything i could need at any time, including some poo poo i probably wont ever but it was cheap as hell from china so figred for completeness sake i'd toss in there

* Ham mobile radio "OEM T" plugs
* Powerpoles (and how)
* Deans ultra plugs
* XT-60 plugs
* Both size F1 / F2 battery spade lug connectors
* 4x most common diameters of barrel connector
* MC4 solar connectors

i think i could pretty much solder up any cable to any other cable at this point, and for most of the permutations, have

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You may have a problem.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

You may have a problem.

OCD?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
idk other than the deans/xt60s which were cheap bundles form CN off amazon that i saw tons of people using, i've used every connector in there multiple times

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ur missing piggyback terminal connectors :)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
that's specialty enough that i'd one off it for a purpose or just make it out of multiple wires into the same terminal

the box is just connectors, not adapters

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 19, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I almost bought a tackle box I saw on clearance for connectors and poo poo but I think I like the flat things like what you've got better.

what would you use the green/pink/blue power poles for? I know they use funky colors for model trains but idk what else. just to have?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

I almost bought a tackle box I saw on clearance for connectors and poo poo but I think I like the flat things like what you've got better.

what would you use the green/pink/blue power poles for? I know they use funky colors for model trains but idk what else. just to have?

pretty much, when i was getting powerpoles to start off with i got a couple bags of the assorted pack and those are the ones i dont know what to do with (yet)

the other colors tho i have used for various things, like i used white as positive for variable voltage solar output/input into my solar charge controller

i cant imagine using the pink or purple or brown or whatever but half the point of having it all in the kit like this is that i could if i had to like someone gave me specs of any of those parts colors etc and gauge wire 6-18 i could make a cable for it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what are those called that are genderless and fit on themselves? those own.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

Anderson Powerpoles, which is like 1/2 of my whole case on the bottom right if you drew a diagonal

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cjs: building jello's antenna tuner today :D

well at least i hope it works

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

hermaphrodotic

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hermaphrodic?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

cjs: building jello's antenna tuner today :D

well at least i hope it works

aww yisss im v excited. haven't had much time to mess w/ hf stuff the past week or so cause of travel and whatnot.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm assuming the knock-off power poles are garbage...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pr-Philm...=item3f4f09c30b

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

I'm assuming the knock-off power poles are garbage...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pr-Philm...=item3f4f09c30b

those arent even cheaper than just buying direct from powerwerx

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/45-amp-red-black-anderson-powerpole-sets.html

though you prolly want 30amp ones for most applications, the 45s are meant specifically for 10awg wire. anything 12-14 should use the 30amp connectors. 16-18 the 15 amp connectors.

(the different connectors all use the same housings, its just hte metal part that changes diameter)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

lol

e: im thinking about a 45 for my inverter. I'd like to be able to run 10 or 8awg from the battery into the cabin and then do some sort of distribution for my inverter, radio and maybe some 4.2 amp USB chargers or w/e the max the ipad can handle is. i was pandoraing and GPSing while plugged into some knock off cig charger yesterday and my phone was down to 20% after an hour or 2.

It might make more sense to not do power poles at all on the 10 awg stuff and just do a regular distribution block dealie and then do power poles off of that. Thoughts?

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 20, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

It might make more sense to not do power poles at all on the 10 awg stuff and just do a regular distribution block dealie and then do power poles off of that. Thoughts?

you could just do all your distribution of high amp with 75amp powerpoles and 8awg wire and then break down into 30s for taps off or w/e

i mean they even sell a premade deal to take a 75amp powerpole connector and give you 4 regular connectors (15-45 amp)

http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-distribution/ps-75-45-4.html

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

you could just do all your distribution of high amp with 75amp powerpoles and 8awg wire and then break down into 30s for taps off or w/e

i mean they even sell a premade deal to take a 75amp powerpole connector and give you 4 regular connectors (15-45 amp)

http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-distribution/ps-75-45-4.html

sweet, that looks like what I'm after. the inverter itself is fused and the radio could be too. nice.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
sniep you should complement your powerpoles with a bunch of APC-7 rf connectors so you can be fully genderless

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Johnny: have you done the PLL mod on your IC-271?

My ham friend decided to give me the IC-706 Mk. I if I do that on his 271, seems like a pretty good deal, any tips on disassembly or anything?

Also, the power knob has come loose on the 271, we don't want to glue it since it's supposed to be clipped.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i replaced a couple HPL board caps and resurrected it

--

jellotuner is done :D

it is fallout as gently caress

2 antenna outs - antenna 1 is SO-239, antenna 2 is SO-239 or single wire input

tunes my 18ft vertical on everything from 30 to 10

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this loving thing tunes my 80 foot inverted L on 75 meters better than my made-in-a-Kenwood-factory-by-'professionals' manual tuner

what the piss

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://www.deeprootsathome.com/get-the-digital-baby-monitor-out-of-the-nursery/

:shepface:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the IC-706 was almost definitely a smokers radio for a long time, a preliminary cleaning left a large yellow pool in the sink

also while fiddling i managed to break the VHF receive, probably a loose connection somewhere but i'm not doing anything more with it until i can do a teardown, cleaning and alignment

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you disturbed the magic crud, now you broke it.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the magic yellow smoke, i should have known

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

you disturbed the magic crud, now you broke it.

i did that to the kenwood 2m guy i got from jonny this last weekend - deoxit on the vol/sql pots and result: now they have loose grains of poo poo inside them instead of tightly adhered grains of poo poo

and wont even work splotchily

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

in my experience using contact cleaner on pots rarely if ever works and it usually makes things worse.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

in my experience using contact cleaner on pots rarely if ever works and it usually makes things worse.

ive used progold and it worked idk

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i replaced a couple HPL board caps and resurrected it

--

jellotuner is done :D

it is fallout as gently caress

2 antenna outs - antenna 1 is SO-239, antenna 2 is SO-239 or single wire input

tunes my 18ft vertical on everything from 30 to 10

Jonny 290 posted:

this loving thing tunes my 80 foot inverted L on 75 meters better than my made-in-a-Kenwood-factory-by-'professionals' manual tuner

what the piss

:getin:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

i've had very good luck in the past when a pot was slightly noisy/oxidized, where it gets rid of the scritchiness sound etc

i've had very bad luck in the past when a pot is already nearly dead, and it just seals the coffin

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

thing is, the lubricant in most of them is sticky and it attracts dust, so it gets better at first, then far, far worse.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
if the resistive track is damaged there's not much to do, i think cleaning might make it worse then since it can loosen any piece of track that's barely hanging on

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what i usually do is blast it with contact cleaner, then with distilled water, then with isoprop until it's completely clean and dry, and THEN I put the tinyest amount of contact cleaner 390 on there which has some lubricant.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
you knwo whats better? replacing the hosed parts and calling it a day

i get to see how much of a bitch in the rear end its going to be to work on this radio once teh parts show up, at least its all thru hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that heathkit forward/reverse meter is pretty janky, the directional coupler doesn't make enough juice at lower bands to drive the meter. Even in the manual its all "yeah at 80 meters you gotta drive this bitch with 70 watts for full scale)

20 and up it's fine

so basically leave it in reverse, crank the sensitivity and look for the drop

I'm going to hold off on shipping this until after august 16th. thats the big denver hamfest and I'm going to look for a better power meter for you (and pick up a couple short jumpers, you gonna have Stack of Boxes now)

if you're curious the specific circuit is referred to as an Ultimate Transmatch and can be read up on here http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/7007024.pdf

only real deviations are: I have no precise way to measure the components but they're appropriately sized by my eye; and I added the antenna selector switch (ant 1 / center off / ant 2)

slightly higher losses than like a straight up L or Pi network, BUT it will match loving anything and is easy to use

the split stator capacitor is key and you have to have it for the design. Fortunately, one of these $50 beauties was bolted right into that $5 tuner.

• Locked thread