Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rorus Raz posted:

I mean, Tinsley's cartoon is just Wyatt Mann "Around Blacks Never Relax" grade bullshit, but his weird interest in fish metaphors lately is a bit disturbing in its own way.

Bruce Tinsley...a real life Troy McClure?

Hi I'm cartoonist Bruce Tinsley, You may know me from places like the funnies in the newspaper and my DUI trial. I am legally obligated to warn you that I have multiple restraining orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

You might be in luck! The NASDAQ crashed because investors collectively realized that page views wasn't translating into actual revenue as much as they expected it would and that tech companies were massively overvalued as a result.

Are you being sincere, or did my pooling hatred against the sociopathic rich make me say something stupid again?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If we pay attention to the chart the 1% will just bounce back better than ever while we all suffer.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

WarpedNaba posted:

Are you being sincere, or did my pooling hatred against the sociopathic rich make me say something stupid again?

.com bubble

internet of things bubble

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also you're in luck because we might be in a tech bubble at the moment too.

:thejoke:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I hear you're taking your false equivalencies black these days.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rorus Raz posted:

Mmmm that is some good false equivalency. Oh yes, that's the good stuff.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

stoutfish posted:

.com bubble

internet of things bubble

I know what the dot.com bubble was (Honestly I thought it would be more to the tune of the Enron scandal), it's more the 'It needs to happen again'.

Rorus Raz posted:

If we pay attention to the chart the 1% will just bounce back better than ever while we all suffer.

This is payback for mentioning that Vegan chick joining the Human Extinction Movement, isn't it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Many people rely on abortions to feed their families.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

This is payback for mentioning that Vegan chick joining the Human Extinction Movement, isn't it.
I feel like we're at significantly more risk of losing our right to an abortion then losing our right to a delicious medium rare steak.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Isn't that the same guy that got insanely pissed off at people comparing the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Isn't that the same guy that got insanely pissed off at people comparing the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement?
That is the "throw yourself down a flight a stairs and profusely apologize to the next black person you see" guy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rorus Raz posted:

I can scarcely imagine the hosed up brain of a person who can relate these arguments.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Does having our economy based on rapid consumption of non-renewable and massively polluting resources ever bother you?"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel like we're at significantly more risk of losing our right to an abortion then losing our right to a delicious medium rare steak.

Oh, certainly. I was referring more to the brutal yet much-needed boot to the crotch of optimism.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The only sane outlook on abortion is that it's one of the most loving awful things in this entire planet, in a perfect world no one should have abortions, and yet this is far from a perfect world and people do and will. So that's why it's important that it be legal and safely regulated. I mean, if the NRA of all groups has taught me anything, banning something won't necessarily stop it!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really don't think we need to talk about abortion as this dark horrible necessary evil , but I guess that's :can:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hello Meow posted:

Corona is made by Mexicans still in Mexico, not illegals tryin' to hop the border. :ese:

But that's the same hop they use in their beer.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

JT Jag posted:

The only sane outlook on abortion is that it's one of the most loving awful things in this entire planet, in a perfect world no one should have abortions, and yet this is far from a perfect world and people do and will. So that's why it's important that it be legal and safely regulated. I mean, if the NRA of all groups has taught me anything, banning something won't necessarily stop it!

that's not sane, in fact it's pretty weird and dumb?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Flectarn posted:

that's not sane, in fact it's pretty weird and dumb?

In a perfect world women loses their right to personal autonomy.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Can you please leave this weird goon to his dumb opinions? I'd rather not have a three-page derail.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Jurgan posted:

That was ten years ago. No, I think it's just standard Tinsleyism of representing minorities as dangerous animals. The "Hollywood" reference no doubt means that the PC elite produce movies where dangerous dark-skinned people turn out to have hearts of gold. The only recent example I can think of is The Blind Side.

I thought it was meant to be: "Hollywood, internationally renowned for their sympathetic portrayals of Muslims."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I thought it was meant to be: "Hollywood, internationally renowned for their sympathetic portrayals of Muslims."

Basically.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

"Does having our economy based on rapid consumption of non-renewable and massively polluting resources ever bother you?"

No, because either:

1. God will provide for all of us forever, or

2. God created the world as a test for us and we were all doomed to failure anyway.

Y'all need to read through that comic, though, just to see how tortured the language is.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I really can't wait for the Kamala Khan movie. Think she'll make a cameo in Captain Marvel?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Somfin posted:

No, because either:

1. God will provide for all of us forever, or

2. God created the world as a test for us and we were all doomed to failure anyway.

Y'all need to read through that comic, though, just to see how tortured the language is.
I mean, this is how people who are elected to create our laws explain their lack of support for global warming bills.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Alhazred posted:

His point is that in a perfect world, no-one would need to make that choice.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Warcabbit posted:

I really can't wait for the Kamala Khan movie. Think she'll make a cameo in Captain Marvel?

You are joking that Marvel would try this?

Not So Fast posted:

Unless this perfect world comes with perfect condoms, they'll still need to make the choice.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Alhazred posted:

Not So Fast posted:

Seriously, you cannot possibly fail to grasp that this is his point unless it took you like twelve attempts to fill in the forums registration form correctly. You can only be intentionally misinterpreting his perfectly sane and reasonable post to create a derail, which this thread doesn't need. As in, you don't need to go to that kind of effort in this thread. Just post a Latuff comic.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Seriously, you cannot possibly fail to grasp that this is his point unless it took you like twelve attempts to fill in the forums registration form correctly. You can only be intentionally misinterpreting his perfectly sane and reasonable post to create a derail, which this thread doesn't need. As in, you don't need to go to that kind of effort in this thread. Just post a Latuff comic.

it's not sane

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bell deals with a story that's getting a bit overlooked.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And people were complaining I was derailing by pointing out Ant Man's sexism.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there some recent Hollywood movie where sharks are nice? Does the latest Sharknado movie have that as a twist or something?
This was a long-rear end time ago but the author of Jaws hated that people immediately went into a kill-sharks-frenzy after the movie and considers it to be his worst impact on the world. Numerous actors from the movie agreed and got involved in environmental protests focused on shark protection. The most recent thing to happen on this front is a Tumblr petition to remove the language 'Shark-infested waters' because holy gently caress is that a bad way to describe animals living in their natural habitat.

So it's Tinsley complaining about the author not dying and SJWs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Boy I sure was right when I said that was a can of worms.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Western fundamentalists seem really keen on spreading their brand of Christianity to other countries these days, I guess because they have pretty much failed to do so in their own countries. It wouldn't surprise me to see anti-gay sentiment rising if that stuff takes off. I hear in China Christianity is growing, but I'm not sure what type exactly.

My understanding is that variations of Protestantism are growing (or in some cases have remained) very popular with China's ethnic minorities. Converting to Christianity is viewed as a way to preserve their ethnic identity among CCP pushes for homogeneity and Han immigration. So it's not some much about fundamentalism or anything like that being the draw, it's the ability to "claim" something to show that you've not been assimilated.

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 19, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

RoanHorse posted:

'Shark-infested waters' because holy gently caress is that a bad way to describe animals living in their natural habitat.

I dunno, if an island is teeming with poisonous snakes, I'd like to at least have it labeled as such. Sure, they probably only attack out of being stepped on or otherwise provoked, but that's still not very good odds of getting off that island without punctures.

Selachian posted:

Bell deals with a story that's getting a bit overlooked.

Just googled this. There's no way in hell that was a suicide.

Rorus Raz posted:

As a regular of DnD, I can't help but feel you should be at least numb to all this.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Rorus Raz posted:

Western fundamentalists seem really keen on spreading their brand of Christianity to other countries these days, I guess because they have pretty much failed to do so in their own countries. It wouldn't surprise me to see anti-gay sentiment rising if that stuff takes off. I hear in China Christianity is growing, but I'm not sure what type exactly.

That cartoon is referring to Korea. South Korea is 1/3 Christian of various stripes, ranging from mainstream Catholic/Protestant to Mega-church wackies and Moonies. I haven't been following the news there enough to know if American fundamentalists are trying to export anti-gay sentiment, but it really wouldn't surprise me if they were.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As long as there's already a big :can: derail going on I might as well add that "oh man I hope we have another big economic collapse, that would be just the best :allears:" is p much the most D&D thing I have ever heard

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

why is the thread that has made serveral thousand posts analyzing a mentally ill man's personal jack off material so scared of derails?

• Locked thread