Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Internet Kraken posted:

Sorry little squids, I didn't win enough for you.

Is this the part where I'm supposed to go into a fit of rage and cry over my loss of 6 snails?

I guess? I don't know how respeccing really works with these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I admittedly panicked when I saw Water Slides being more popular. I thought it was going to be a repeat of the Cat/Dog Splatfest where it was just a popularity contest. I'm glad I was wrong.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

At least every knows now that water slides are more popular then roller coasters. So what about Team Eat and Team Sleep?

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Jarogue posted:

At least every knows now that water slides are more popular then roller coasters.

if it wasn't summertime i think water slides would not have been as popular either

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

noirstronaut posted:

does anyone wanna buy my wii u. gently caress this game

Even dogs lose sometimes.

But sometimes dogs win (Like me, I am the winner)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man that was super fun and I learned a lot about how to play this game. About 60 points short of kingdom since I had a pretty busy day and only got to play the last forty minutes after ending last night just hitting champion. Glad I was able to do my bit for king and coaster, and that my lucky shirt with Ninja Squid can become fresher. This was hella fun despite my horrendous losing streak last night, this game is amazing.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

So uh they really need to add more stuff to buy/do with the snails. I have 42 of these things and don't even know how I would begin to min/max my gear. But 3 slotting everything is easy as pie.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Just make a Super Sea Snail farm and name all of them.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I know there was some testing done, but does anyone have a guide as to how gear and respeccing gear works?

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Something really unfair happened. A brush user swiped my face point blank and I took no damage. I wonder how that guy feels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like how when confronted with loss Marie starts belching and trying to poo poo on Callie who's congratulating her team. What the gently caress is Marie's problem.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Wow. People in north america prefer water slides to roller coasters? I thought it was going to be a complete blowout for popularity in favor of roller coasters. How bizarre.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like how when confronted with loss Marie starts belching and trying to poo poo on Callie who's congratulating her team. What the gently caress is Marie's problem.

Because being an rear end makes you look cool.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 19, 2015

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darke GBF posted:

Wow. People in north america prefer water slides to roller coasters? I thought it was going to be a complete blowout for popularity in favor of roller coasters. How bizarre.

We had to make the sliders pay. Pay in roller coaster dollars.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I guess? I don't know how respeccing really works with these things.

I think you just talk to Spike and show him an item that has 3 slots with all the sub abilities rolled.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

At least the respawn point is at the top of the slide, I guess. Sea creatures can't swim.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

well some sort of salty fluid was suspected, but tears would probably be the preferred one.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Jarogue posted:

At least every knows now that water slides are more popular then roller coasters. So what about Team Eat and Team Sleep?

EU Splatfest doesn't end until 6pm GMT, so we have a while yet.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I think Eat was the more popular choice though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the reason I'm so salty is because I do not want to disappoint my team and when I can't carry by myself I feel like I'm letting everyone on my side down without them noticing. I want to global carry :negative:

That being said I really wish they didn't start with Cats vs Dogs. I don't really get much of a feeling of friendly rivalry from this splatfest and if my side loses I'm just kinda like eh. Even when I see people trying to kick up dirt it's just like why bother dude. Here's to hoping we get more fun themes in the future like "I prefer action games" or "I prefer platformers" or something.

There was nothing friendly about the cats vs dogs rivalry.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Been on the winning team both times ask me about my success

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Been on the losing team both times, ask me about how I don't care because I had fun and got to add a bunch of slots to my gear :D

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ask me about me snail petting zoo.

Where everyone must wear very shiny pants.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I couldn't get into the spirit of this Splatfest, probably because the choices were boring. Good to see that my team won, even without my help though. I also get another 5 or so snails for my collection, because I have nothing I want to use them on.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I have a math problem for you: how many splatfests will we have before it becomes statistically unlikely or impossible to always be on the losing team?

Like, for the first one, there were only two choices, so you had a 50% shot of losing every Splatfest you've ever been in. For this one, there were four possibilities (Dog/coasters, dog/slides, cat/coasters, cat/slides) and only one of those (cat/slides) would be a double losing situation, so 25%. Is the next one down 12.5%?

mtr
May 15, 2008

Bean posted:

Is the next one down 12.5%?

Yes, assuming 50/50 win probability, the odds of losing every one would be 0.5^n where n is the number of splatfests. You'd have to define "unlikely", but it would never be impossible to lose every one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I had a few rounds with teams so poo poo that we lost 4v3 matches, so this does not come as a huge shock. Eh, either way I get more snails I will likely never use. Wake me when there is a matchup I can get invested in again...

Internet Kraken posted:

Sorry little squids, I didn't win enough for you.

Is this the part where I'm supposed to go into a fit of rage and cry over my loss of 6 snails?

DEAR INTERIM PRESIDENT OF NINTENDO, ATTN THE SPLATOON DEPARTMENT,

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 19, 2015

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I kinda don't need snails anymore now that I rerolled for the set I wanted. Although Splatfest tees take my fantastic shirt away.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yeah, after becoming Dog King and getting a shitload of shells, I don't think I'll ever care about Splatfests again. I ended up finding a cool-looking set with abilities I dig with sub-abilities I like and I still have about 20 left after this Splatfest, despite losing after playing until Slide Fiend.

Hell, if you hit King/Queen once or twice, win or lose, you're pretty much set.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That's why I only bother getting to the rank before the last one, there's no real benefit to being top rank other than more snails and if you already have a perfect set, then it's mostly useless, unless you want to do an epic level of grinding to max everything out of course.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bean posted:

I have a math problem for you: how many splatfests will we have before it becomes statistically unlikely or impossible to always be on the losing team?

Like, for the first one, there were only two choices, so you had a 50% shot of losing every Splatfest you've ever been in. For this one, there were four possibilities (Dog/coasters, dog/slides, cat/coasters, cat/slides) and only one of those (cat/slides) would be a double losing situation, so 25%. Is the next one down 12.5%?

There's more to it than that. If you picked cat in the first splatfest, then you are way more likely to continue picking wrong teams, because you are completely stupid in the first place. There's no math or odds to figure out here, because you're not "guessing" a 50/50 coin flip. There's an objective right or wrong answer, and if you choose wrong, then you're a moron with some hosed up worldview because you chose cats or waterslides in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think I'm okay with just Charismatic Sleeping Boy. I dont want to be an Eternal Sleeping Boy :ohdear:.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I picked Team Coaster and only had enough time to rank up to whatever the 1st non default rank was

How many sea snails do I have waiting for me when I get back home?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Darke GBF posted:

I didn't think about this until after I voted (waterslide because it's 999 degrees out) but there are a lot of kids voting that can't really ride roller coasters yet (or can only ride really lovely ones but all the waterslides) so they either don't know about them really or are like gently caress those things I can't use - and this may also go a fair way to explain the win/loss ratio.

I'm surprised too, though. I thought I was on the underdog team because I figured there are big parts of the country without either one, but people would go on vacations to ride roller coasters at theme parks more than they would waterslides. Maybe the bumpkins don't have internets yet either, so it balanced out

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think I'm okay with just Charismatic Sleeping Boy. I dont want to be an Eternal Sleeping Boy :ohdear:.

Eternal Eating Boy/Girl is the Goon choice.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Trent posted:

I didn't think about this until after I voted (waterslide because it's 999 degrees out) but there are a lot of kids voting that can't really ride roller coasters yet (or can only ride really lovely ones but all the waterslides) so they either don't know about them really or are like gently caress those things I can't use - and this may also go a fair way to explain the win/loss ratio.

I'm surprised too, though. I thought I was on the underdog team because I figured there are big parts of the country without either one, but people would go on vacations to ride roller coasters at theme parks more than they would waterslides. Maybe the bumpkins don't have internets yet either, so it balanced out

This was my logic as well. Plenty of parts of the country have weather that is prohibitive to building a water park regardless of what time of the year it's open. The height issue means they can't use coasters anyway, so it was probably just kids looking at the two options and going with what looked more fun.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Getting real tired of the first ~25 levels of squid jump.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darke GBF posted:

This was my logic as well. Plenty of parts of the country have weather that is prohibitive to building a water park regardless of what time of the year it's open. The height issue means they can't use coasters anyway, so it was probably just kids looking at the two options and going with what looked more fun.

I assumed the same thing with Rock vs Pop - all the kids picked Pop and got slaughtered by the old Rockers as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Darke GBF posted:

except for the part where water slides are objectively more fun

• Locked thread