Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Well got the game downloaded and started just in time for maintenance :v: Think I'm at the point where I'm supposed to pick a class to start with so I guess I'll ask some questions.

- Do the different classes offer different development paths as far as other classes and whatever other unlocks go? Like 'pick class X if you want to quickly unlock class Y' or whatever?
- Do tanks and supports have a more difficult or slower time of it when solo in the finest traditions of MMOs everywhere?
- Which of the starting (or at least early) classes lets me be the Fanciest Wizard? (I'm talking flashy overblown spell effects, the more anime/DBZ the better)

-No
-Compared to other DPS yes but the cryo is heavy AOE based which both paladin and Lightbinder are also good at
-Kineticist lets you be magneto and create a hamster ball of magnetic death
Necro is constant undead and death all the time
Lightbinder has a laser cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

- Do tanks and supports have a more difficult or slower time of it when solo in the finest traditions of MMOs everywhere?

Tanks and supports will not have a more difficult time clearing, but will definitely have a slower clear time than most dps classes.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Stormgale posted:

-No
-Compared to other DPS yes but the cryo is heavy AOE based which both paladin and Lightbinder are also good at
-Kineticist lets you be magneto and create a hamster ball of magnetic death
Necro is constant undead and death all the time
Lightbinder has a laser cannon

A couple of things I'd add to this:

Note one: Paladins kill slower, it's a fact of life. However, you can pick up half a map at a time and laugh at them while you AOE the poo poo out of them, which to my knowledge would smear a Cryo across the landscape in tiny bits. So that helps.

Note two: The proper term for the lightbinder cannon, particularly since you mention DBZ, is 'kamehameha'. As noted in the OP.

Note three: Witches have got some amazing sailor moon casting animation poo poo going on and it's glorious. 10/10 A++.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Tsurupettan posted:

Slayer players: Biting Whips talent. I don't understand the value of it since it says it does the same thing that Twilight Scourge already does. Or am I misreading it?

I just tested Twilight Scourge without Biting Whips; It does about a third of the damage, ~8k versus ~24k, the crit is guaranteed either way. Whatever the talent does, it's worth using.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Well got the game downloaded and started just in time for maintenance :v: Think I'm at the point where I'm supposed to pick a class to start with so I guess I'll ask some questions.

- Do the different classes offer different development paths as far as other classes and whatever other unlocks go? Like 'pick class X if you want to quickly unlock class Y' or whatever?
- Which of the starting (or at least early) classes lets me be the Fanciest Wizard? (I'm talking flashy overblown spell effects, the more anime/DBZ the better)

1. All 3 starting classes start unlocked, so you can start navigating the grid from any of them, regardless of which class you're actually playing or using without repercussions - plus, all 3 of them are essentially starting in the same spot and there's not much difference there. The grid you navigate to unlock class abilities is separate from the one you use to unlock new classes, and will be very different (obviously).
2. Paladins(tanks) are a bit slower than Cryomancer(dps + crowd control) and Lightbringer(support + dps) when solo, but not by very much, really, and you can queue up for any quest that matters and get a pug in seconds if you don't want to deal with solo speed.
3. Cryomancer's your best bet for pure flashiness in the starting classes, though paladin's got some neat sword lasers and lightning bolts . Lightbringer is pretty strong and good but honestly it has incredibly dull spell effects outside of the channeled laser I never use because it does lovely damage and drains your mana to 0 in 0.5 seconds, and the gameplay isn't very exciting either. Plus, Lightbringer weapons look really stupid. Cryomancer is a giant death blizzard 24/7.

As far as the non-starting classes you can get in a short amount of time, kinetic is real flashy and awesome looking, necro's pretty neat, and slayer's ridiculously flashy too, though it is technically a melee class (with ninja teleports and purple magical chained blades flying everywhere).

If you want to test out all the classes a bit before committing, head to the virtual reality training room thing you had your basic tutorial in again after the tutorial's over, and it will let you do tutorials for every single class and let you play around with a few of their basic abilities. You might be surprised what you end up liking, plus you unlock their class costumes by doing this.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 19, 2015

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Despite the warning in the OP I am playing a cryo on my way to Necromancer and eventually Witch (is every goon going for that? gently caress) and I actually don't hate it. I just unlocked the ice slide dash talent and it is the best thing that has ever happened to me, but I guess every class has a similar dash-better talent? When I got to sample the Witch for a mission she had the broomstick glide talent preselected I think.

I will admit that bosses are pretty boring when all your cool stuff is CC that doesn't work on them, but reducing my own skillset by 60% makes it easier on my :downs: to learn mechanics.

Is it just me or do those little tank-type naga minions who stand still and channel a big explosive bubble occasionally bug out and not stand still and just chase you so that they are almost guaranteed to do most of your health in damage and knock you sky high?

Should I be prioritizing certain stats or just equipping whatever has the highest prestige value? It seems like everything just adds damage in one way or another except Stamina, and Stamina is on different items. None of the weapon passives seem especially impactful yet. At least not more than the others.

What's this about a Proficiency stat?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
The lightbringer is basically a magical tennis player. Watch those animations (and magical tennis racket weapons) and tell me I'm wrong.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

About the garrisons: It seems like fresh adepts still give 3 followers if you send them as missionaries so should I leave a slot open to recruit every new applicant and make them a missionary immediately?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Masonity posted:

The lightbringer is basically a magical tennis player. Watch those animations (and magical tennis racket weapons) and tell me I'm wrong.

A tennis wizard would be awesome, though. Instead it's some lame cross between a tennis racket and a bubble wand with your best attack being a floaty yellow bubble that hits an enemy and pops.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Clairetic posted:

About the garrisons: It seems like fresh adepts still give 3 followers if you send them as missionaries so should I leave a slot open to recruit every new applicant and make them a missionary immediately?

If you want, honestly at later points 3 followers is less than nothing

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Early on dumping all the guys you don't want at all as missionaries is pretty good, especially if you're not able to be on a bunch. Once you've gotten a couple order levels, missions will be giving 100+ followers and you'll be needing a whole bunch for the next level, so it stops being a noticeable impact. I basically do it if I'm going in there for some reason, but not doing it isn't a big deal.

As to gear, for the most part you can just sort of equip whatever is better. Once you're a bit higher on the prestige, and have some talents, you can figure out a bit more how you want to set things. Guides I've seen have basically always had at least 1 item giving something to a stat (str/valor/luc/spirit), and the rest in what they're focusing on. Strength increases minimum base damage and can have some stuff that makes it increase max base damage. Valor is a bonus to damage based on enemies' HP, starting high and lowering as they get hurt. You can get stats that give a chance to do max bonus damage. Luck increases your critical damage, and spirit increases your impulse damage. Now look at your class, and see if there are options that make any of that more attractive, like lightbinder can regain impulse charges for some abilities, or you could have a talent that gives a guaranteed crit.

If the item is still a big upgrade it is probably worth it, at the very least you can hold onto it if you need a prestige bump to qualify for something. Proficiency is a stat you can view on your character sheet, and is a requirement to equip an item. Red/Green nodes on the big atlas give proficiency. Once you spark cap for the week you have a sort of gear limit, so that is a decent time to try to get gear with the stats you prefer. Weapon and offhand tend to have a couple different options for the bonus they give, and is usually just supportive of a playstyle, so grab one that supports how you're playing. This is more apparent with amulets, which are all bonuses to specific skills.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Just a heads up, that should maybe go in the OP.

Check your my.com games loader program launcher thingy. It'll be open in your taskbar, but has unlimited uploading set. While I'm all for uploading to others while I download a patch to speed things up for everyone, it was absolutely ruining our 152MB internet when running on my PC and my wifes. I limited connections and upload speed and now things are fine.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Clairetic posted:

Despite the warning in the OP I am playing a cryo

Drinkfist has an understandable dislike of freezers.

Drinkfist's first summer job was delivering frozen fish in a land locked state. One fateful day he was accidentally locked in the frozen compartment after making a delivery. Sadly his coworker did not notice and continued his journey with the young drinkfist getting more desperate and fearful trapped in an icy tomb of dead eyed in humane monsters. Upon hearing the wails, moans, and a suspicious slurping sound of frozen scales sliding over warm teenage flesh, the driver feared for his safety having grown up on fearful tales of ghost fish taking vengeance on delivery men. He flew into a panic only noticing too late the minibus full of historical reenactors dressed as roman legionaries returning from an event commemorating the destruction of the Library of Alexandria.

When first responders arrived they found a scene of unholy carnage, Drinkfist the only survivor was surrounded with burning wreckage, images of the fall of Carthage, and the corpses of roman legionaries. The doctors and nurses never did discover how the accident caused the intense build up of frozen fish around his rectum, but to this day he holds the record for most fish removed from a colon.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Anal Papist posted:

Drinkfist has an understandable dislike of freezers.

Drinkfist's first summer job was delivering frozen fish in a land locked state. One fateful day he was accidentally locked in the frozen compartment after making a delivery. Sadly his coworker did not notice and continued his journey with the young drinkfist getting more desperate and fearful trapped in an icy tomb of dead eyed in humane monsters. Upon hearing the wails, moans, and a suspicious slurping sound of frozen scales sliding over warm teenage flesh, the driver feared for his safety having grown up on fearful tales of ghost fish taking vengeance on delivery men. He flew into a panic only noticing too late the minibus full of historical reenactors dressed as roman legionaries returning from an event commemorating the destruction of the Library of Alexandria.

When first responders arrived they found a scene of unholy carnage, Drinkfist the only survivor was surrounded with burning wreckage, images of the fall of Carthage, and the corpses of roman legionaries. The doctors and nurses never did discover how the accident caused the intense build up of frozen fish around his rectum, but to this day he holds the record for most fish removed from a colon.

Mostly true. My only issue with this story is that Massachusetts isn't a land locked state. Everything else seems on the level. But what would an twinkly eyed englishman know at this hour because we threw all his loving tea into the big drink.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That explains so much.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

I decided to practice my un-creative writing because some lardy arse former navy seal refuses to invite me to the guild even though I am almost 3k space roman points. Also while looking for inspiration I found the next game bad game crew should play

https://www.patreon.com/vrtitties?ty=h

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rabof_vrtitties-15-edited-to-be-as-sfw-as-possible-please-don-t-delete_videogames?start=0

First person to create a scene of Donald Trump gnoshing off Ronald Reagan wins.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zizi posted:

Note three: Witches have got some amazing sailor moon casting animation poo poo going on and it's glorious. 10/10 A++.

Finally got a Witch Promo mission, and it gives you the broom dash. It moves you SO FAR SO FAST and you leave a sparkly purple trail in your wake.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Since they are changing how the ether cores work, should I be selling all these cores that drop or what?

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Finally got a Witch Promo mission, and it gives you the broom dash. It moves you SO FAR SO FAST and you leave a sparkly purple trail in your wake.

This owns so hard. I also got around to playing Gunner today in training, and I love how she almost falls over at the end of the dash. Too bad it's way the gently caress off the map, because that class is cool. But it's literally the opposite direction from everything else I most want. (Witch, Knight, Kinetic maybe).

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Heh, look at this guy not buying the founder pack :smug: Seriously though I wish there was an option to just buy classes for cash or just have them the same distance away from the starting classes.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

How do I unlock the pink nodes on the atlas? What is that currency?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Liberatore posted:

However, the optimal way is to max out one class at a time, while working towards others and taking symbols you want on the way. I could have gotten Archer next week and it wouldn't have made much of a difference; I only did it this week so I could have a higher chance of finding a bow before I actually started playing the class.

Liberatore pointed out something in Mumble that some beta folks knew (but not everyone did) regarding this. To clarify a bit:

When you fully unlock a class (not just the class, but every node in the class atlas), you permanently increase your Symbols slots by 12.

Symbols are the things that add the shield when you dash, found under I->Symbols tab.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 19, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Liberatore posted:

I just tested Twilight Scourge without Biting Whips; It does about a third of the damage, ~8k versus ~24k, the crit is guaranteed either way. Whatever the talent does, it's worth using.

Holy poo poo. Okay gonna give it a test myself in the training room. Not that I don't believe you but I gotta see this.

e: Yeah, wow, okay, biting whips is literally a 3x increase in damage on average. :eyepop:

e2: What's the best way to grind out my class sparks rapidly?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 19, 2015

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Zizi posted:

How much does this take, incidentally? I lucked out and got an Engineer in my first batch, but I'm not sure when she'll actually be useful to the guild (and I'm being lazy about getting myself in).

A while. I have two engineers, one grey and one green (the distinction between the two I'm still uncertain about) and they are levels 8 and 9 and I still only have a 75% success rate. Last night I was in the high 60's of success percentage.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Am I better off maxing out Paladin first, then going for something like Gunner?

Like, will Gunner take me two weeks to get to?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
At some point you'll be using class sparks instead of the colored ones which are a different pool entirely so you can do both at the same time. It'll still take you a good while to get to Gunner.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Thanks! Very good info - I'm almost at the cap for my first week and still don't have any abilities/talents that affect stat prioritization as far as I know.

rantmo posted:

A while. I have two engineers, one grey and one green (the distinction between the two I'm still uncertain about) and they are levels 8 and 9 and I still only have a 75% success rate. Last night I was in the high 60's of success percentage.

In what passes for a tutorial it seemed they had to be green to patronize your temple? The website says something about having to increase their rank to increase the bonuses you gain from your temples that they're patrons at, but maybe that information is out of date.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 19, 2015

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
The alchemist has the goofiest walk during battle, it's incredible.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Is there a list of weapon modifiers anywhere? So far I've seen bonuses to mines & shadow land on slayer secondary, +60% bloodharvest on slayer main and some lovely swinging chains upgrade.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Evil_Greven posted:

Liberatore pointed out something in Mumble that some beta folks knew (but not everyone did) regarding this. To clarify a bit:

When you fully unlock a class (not just the class, but every node in the class atlas), you permanently increase your Symbols slots by 1.

Symbols are the things that add the shield when you dash, found under I->Symbols tab.

It's two slots, not one. Max 3 classes and you will be at 9 symbol slots. I'm guessing there is a cap, because 29 symbols would be crazy, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Tsurupettan posted:

e2: What's the best way to grind out my class sparks rapidly?

Speed run solo adventures. Works better if you have something like a Berserker, Monk or Necromancer.

Tsurupettan posted:

Is there a list of weapon modifiers anywhere? So far I've seen bonuses to mines & shadow land on slayer secondary, +60% bloodharvest on slayer main and some lovely swinging chains upgrade.

There seems to be only like 3 or 4 per weapon. The only primary you're missing is Backflip damage when target is below 50% (same as BH). Also, the bonus to Blood Harvest on a blue weapon is +120%, so get one asap. I forgot what's the other secondary but shadow land & mines are the best ones anyway.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Clairetic posted:

In what passes for a tutorial it seemed they had to be green to patronize your temple? The website says something about having to increase their rank to increase the bonuses you gain from your temples that they're patrons at, but maybe that information is out of date.

If you have a green chapel, then you need a green patron to gain its bonus. If you have a blue chapel, you need a blue patron.

Enlightenment increases both the adept's efficiency (relative to its level) and its secondary bonuses, like increased gifts or reduced mission duration. However, level tends to matter more, as the efficiency gain is like 2-4 levels worth.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Liberatore posted:

It's two slots, not one. Max 3 classes and you will be at 9 symbol slots. I'm guessing there is a cap, because 29 symbols would be crazy, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Ooh, it's even better, then.

Although, it will take a lot of investment to get a large number of Symbols. There are I think 49 total, so you still wouldn't be able to use everything.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Liberatore posted:

Speed run solo adventures. Works better if you have something like a Berserker, Monk or Necromancer.

There seems to be only like 3 or 4 per weapon. The only primary you're missing is Backflip damage when target is below 50% (same as BH). Also, the bonus to Blood Harvest on a blue weapon is +120%, so get one asap. I forgot what's the other secondary but shadow land & mines are the best ones anyway.

Yeah, someone in game told me to go murder the first boss of Naori. It takes me about 2 minutes for an average of 45ish sparks. Not bad at all.

Do you know what the bonus on blue mine leg guards is? I actually like mines with the spread change from that bonus. Shadow Land is really low on my priority list, Smoke looks really great.

I've got Blood Harvest and the ult talent so my current plan is getting the entire left branch through Sneak Attack, then going up and get Shadow and its talent for more survivability. And the other Backstab bonus since I'll be there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Paladin's talents are pretty silly in how much they improve your killing speed. All my normal attacks deal 220% damage and give a stacking move speed buff (30% max)? My last normal hit does 400% damage if the target is under 40% hp? Seal of Light does 215% damage to everything over 80% hp? 20% more damage for the first 12 seconds of a fight? A boss's first two bars might as well not exist, and after that I deal more damage just spamming left-click unless I have Impulse up.

Still slower than something like Berserker, but everything goes so much faster now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

How do I unlock the pink nodes on the atlas? What is that currency?

I've heard it's a reward for running Distortions, which are unlocked once we build the related upgrade in the Pantheon.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
So what are the cash shop stuff in this, and how long till they start selling better skill sets for $70

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Tsurupettan posted:

Yeah, someone in game told me to go murder the first boss of Naori. It takes me about 2 minutes for an average of 45ish sparks. Not bad at all.

Do you know what the bonus on blue mine leg guards is? I actually like mines with the spread change from that bonus. Shadow Land is really low on my priority list, Smoke looks really great.

I've got Blood Harvest and the ult talent so my current plan is getting the entire left branch through Sneak Attack, then going up and get Shadow and its talent for more survivability. And the other Backstab bonus since I'll be there.

The bonus on blue is +28% damage. It's otherwise unchanged (spread is the same as green). Smoke Grenade has a very low duration, although it's nice for some extra dexterity regen against bosses.

Killing Proficiency: Backstab is not very good. It doesn't do nearly what it says; it has a very small chance to trigger either the Backflip (+30% damage) or the Blood Harvest (+100% damage) effect, with Backflip triggering like 5 times as much. You will be lucky to see the Blood Harvest effect once during an entire dungeon and the Backflip one more than twice. At least Sneak Attack is guaranteed extra damage and is pretty useful against trash.

The only thing Killing Proficiency: Backstab is really good for is increasing the range on Backstab. And that's not particularly important in PvE, especially with grapevine already having a 30m range.

Elswyyr posted:

So what are the cash shop stuff in this, and how long till they start selling better skill sets for $70

Basically nothing to buy. Dropping cash on credits/holy texts is pretty useful for bag slots and ranking up your order but the latter will only inflate your prestige; you still have to group with and face people around your prestige level.

Eventually they're going to rotate costumes you can buy for argents (cash money currency) but none are available yet. And almost everything that can be bought with argents also has a price in credits, and you can buy argents with credits.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 19, 2015

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Unguided posted:

I've heard it's a reward for running Distortions, which are unlocked once we build the related upgrade in the Pantheon.

Yeah, my understanding is that they're essentially guild raids.

Amusing side note, I saw a pubbie guild forum's plans for dominating the pantheon scene, it involves mandatory weekly credit taxation of the members. We're in trouble goons, these guys are clearly pros.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

More questions -

I tried Slayer in a promo and I liked it enough that I'm tempted to change directions, but it sounds like I should try to stay Cryomancer until I fill out the rest of the tree anyway? After reading about the tragedy that befell Drinkfist I feel kind of guilty. I guess if I find a class I want to stick with then I'll eventually get yellow sparks to fill out the others. Can yellow sparks only be used in the class atlas?

If I want to avoid getting ahead of my Proficiency rating then should I just vendor these Ether Cores? They're not very expensive to slot in, but it's credits for prestige with no corresponding Proficiency increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Early on there isn't that much advantage to maxing out a class, especially one like Cryo which doesn't have a great symbol. You won't have enough symbols to fill those 5 slots. Lightbinder and Paladin are another matter, as their symbols (especially Paladin's) are pretty good.

Yellow sparks can only be used in the class atlas.

Don't bother with ether cores. Not for that reason, but because they're changing the system to not actually require these region-only drops and allowing us to directly use credits to upgrade them. Right now they're too expensive for too little gain.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 19, 2015

• Locked thread