Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Curvature of Earth posted:

Oy vey. Fanfiction mirrors its writers, and Harry Potter caught a lot of fanfic writers in their "darker and edgier is better" phase all at once.

Not to mention length. Megaword-length epics are standard in the field, so HPMOR is not in any way out of place in this regard.

We need some sort of emoticon :hugo: for HUGO QUALITY WORK in the fanfic field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

divabot posted:

We need some sort of emoticon :hugo: for HUGO QUALITY WORK in the fanfic field.

We already have :mediocre:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 13: Asking the Wrong Questions
Part 11

quote:

He wondered how much the Game Controller cared about that sort of thing, and whether he'd won or lost points for it. Harry himself felt like he'd lost quite a few points, and he was sure the old lady in the picture would have told him that his was the only opinion that mattered.

And Harry was also wondering whether the Game Controller had sent Professor Sprout. It was the logical thought: the note had threatened to notify the Game Authorities, and then there Professor Sprout was.

Maybe Professor Sprout was the Game Controller - the Head of House Hufflepuff would be the last person anyone would suspect, which ought to put her near the top of Harry's list. He'd read one or two mystery novels, too.

"So how am I doing in the game?" Harry said out loud.

A sheet of paper flew over his head, as if someone had thrown it from behind him - Harry turned around, but there was no one there - and when Harry turned forwards again, the note was settling to the floor.

The note said:
POINTS FOR STYLE: 10
POINTS FOR GOOD THINKING: -3,000,000
RAVENCLAW HOUSE POINTS BONUS: 70
CURRENT POINTS: -2,999,871
TURNS REMAINING: 2

"Minus three million points?" Harry said indignantly to the empty hallway. "That seems excessive! I want to file an appeal with the Game Authorities! And how am I supposed to make up three million points in the next two turns?"

Another note flew over his head.

APPEAL: FAILED
ASKING THE WRONG QUESTIONS: -1,000,000,000,000 POINTS
CURRENT POINTS: -1,000,002,999,871
TURNS REMAINING: 1

Harry gave up. With one turn remaining all he could do was take his best shot, even if it wasn't very good.

"My guess is that the game represents life."

A final sheet of paper flew over his head, reading:
ATTEMPT FAILED
FAILED FAILED FAILED
AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
CURRENT POINTS: MINUS INFINITY
YOU HAVE LOST THE GAME
FINAL INSTRUCTION:
go to Professor McGonagall's office

The last line was in his own handwriting.

Eliezarry lost the game! Could this be the end of him? Can we start the game with a new character?

quote:

Harry stared at the last line for a while, then shrugged. Fine. Professor McGonagall's office it would be. If she was the Game Controller...

Okay, honestly, Harry had absolutely no idea how he would feel if Professor McGonagall was the Game Controller. His mind was just drawing a complete blank. It was, literally, unimaginable.

A couple of portraits later - it wasn't a long trip, Professor McGonagall's office wasn't far from her Transfiguration classroom, at least not on Mondays on odd-numbered years - Harry stood outside the door to her office.

He knocked.

"Come in," said Professor McGonagall's muffled voice.

He entered.

And that was the last anyone ever saw of Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
This'll be the second time I've attempted to parse this schlock, and even five paragraphs at a time I can't be assed to try and figure out or even read about this stupid 'game'.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I have no idea what the gently caress this game is about. Only that the payoff will not be worth it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Anticheese posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress this game is about. Only that the payoff will not be worth it.

Attest to Operating Thetan.

See, I thought this game bit was pretty entertaining and clever for the declared audience of nerds: a nice idea, reasonably executed.

Of course since this appears to be an actually good thing in a LessWrong-related publication, this means it cannot possibly be original. There will have to have been a zillion previous stories containing an amusing game similar to this using the particular trope this relies upon (TO BE REVEALED SHORTLY!), probably all animes.

divabot fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 20, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:dogbutton:

I can't read this poo poo, even with the OP's excellent commentary, so I'm mostly just skimming through updates and reading goon posts.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Utgardaloki posted:

This'll be the second time I've attempted to parse this schlock, and even five paragraphs at a time I can't be assed to try and figure out or even read about this stupid 'game'.
Time-travelling future HJPEV is trolling doesn't-have-a-time-machine-yet present HJPEV. This does not lead to the horrified realisation that Harry was a dick all along, a resolution to be less of a dick, and actual character growth.

It's quite painful, and you can tell Yudkowsky got bored of his bright idea a scene or two in and is just throwing random attempts at humour at the page by this point. "You didn't figure it out? MINUS A ZILLION POINTS! ETERNITY YEARS TORTURE DUNGEON!"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's the romhack school of game design.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

chrisoya posted:

Time-travelling future HJPEV is trolling doesn't-have-a-time-machine-yet present HJPEV. This does not lead to the horrified realisation that Harry was a dick all along, a resolution to be less of a dick, and actual character growth.

It's quite painful, and you can tell Yudkowsky got bored of his bright idea a scene or two in and is just throwing random attempts at humour at the page by this point. "You didn't figure it out? MINUS A ZILLION POINTS! ETERNITY YEARS TORTURE DUNGEON!"

Yudkowsky as Lemongrab is surprisingly apt. Actually, it's terrifyingly apt.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

chrisoya posted:

In fairness, as he will fairly quickly discover in what is probably the best single moment in HPMOR, it's not like time-traveling future HJPEV had the option to NOT be a dick, he had to do exactly what had been done to him. There's a reason why people with time turners get told not to interact with themselves.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Ugh. The whole appeal of this kind of thing in a story is seeing if you can catch on tot he mystery as fast as the protagonist. It's the same formula that made Sherlock Holmes popular.

Pretty much the most obvious, and easily avoided way to ruin this narrative structure is have the solution to be completely unpredictable and out of nowhere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Utgardaloki posted:

Ugh. The whole appeal of this kind of thing in a story is seeing if you can catch on tot he mystery as fast as the protagonist. It's the same formula that made Sherlock Holmes popular.
Sherlock Holmes stores are frequently impossible for the reader to figure out, because essential clues are often left out. Doyle did write fair-play mysteries but it's not the defining feature of his work.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Utgardaloki posted:

Ugh. The whole appeal of this kind of thing in a story is seeing if you can catch on tot he mystery as fast as the protagonist.

I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but as soon as the whole sleep-cycle thing was brought up I immediately thought of a time-turner., which made this whole game sequence really tedious and stupid as it's rather obvious what is happening.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I think another guy in the field said this stuff in page 1 or something, but we're so far from AGI it's quite hilarious. The cutting edge stuff in machine learning right now at least in computer vision can... assign known class labels to pictures sorta accurately using deep neural networks? Don't get me wrong, there has been some awesome progress in the last decade or so - but I doubt we'll have AGI during my lifetime...

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Kellanved posted:

I think another guy in the field said this stuff in page 1 or something, but we're so far from AGI it's quite hilarious. The cutting edge stuff in machine learning right now at least in computer vision can... assign known class labels to pictures sorta accurately using deep neural networks? Don't get me wrong, there has been some awesome progress in the last decade or so - but I doubt we'll have AGI during my lifetime...

Also, sorta accurately has a very different definition for computer vision researchers. 75% under ideal conditions is really good guys!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
From the old LW mock thread:

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like Yud's writing would be substantially more relatable and enjoyable if sometimes there were just random werewolves and Bionicles. I don't want to effortpost too hard about HPMOR and the rest of this rationalist fanfic, but one of the most unnerving things about it to me, beyond the actual content, is how loving joyless it is. Yud and his imitators are taking a medium that exists more or less entirely to feed the adolescent (or mentally adolescent) id, a medium of infinite self-indulgence, and using it to produce boring screeds indistinguishable from their nonfiction posts. The only thing that even comes close to expressing any kind of real emotions are the parts that are about a paralyzing, all-consuming fear of death.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Incidentally "a paralyzing, all-consuming fear of death" is the slogan on Yud's business cards. (It was either that or "GENIUS" printed beneath his name. Hey, it worked by Wile E. Coyote.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Incidentally "a paralyzing, all-consuming fear of death" is the slogan on Yud's business cards. (It was either that or "GENIUS" printed beneath his name. Hey, it worked by Wile E. Coyote.)

This sounds like something from the EY Facts list, but I went to parody that and it was too LW.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

divabot posted:

This sounds like something from the EY Facts list, but I went to parody that and it was too LW.
I laughed at "Eliezer Yudkowsky's favorite fighting technique is a roundhouse dustspeck to the face." Dude really loves his dustspecks/torture argument.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

chrisoya posted:

I laughed at "Eliezer Yudkowsky's favorite fighting technique is a roundhouse dustspeck to the face." Dude really loves his dustspecks/torture argument.

But first, let's talk about :tvtropes: :words: :tvtropes: :words: :tvtropes:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 14: The Unknown and the Unknowable
Part One

quote:

Melenkurion abatha! Duroc minas mill J. K. Rowling!

There were mysterious questions, but a mysterious answer was a contradiction in terms.

That’s derived from the “Seven Words of Power” from The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, isn’t it? Does it still make sense if you replace the last two words (“harad” and “khabaal”) with “J.K. Rowling”?

quote:

"Come in," said Professor McGonagall's muffled voice.

Harry did so.

The office of the Deputy Headmistress was clean and well-organised; on the wall immediately adjacent to the desk was a maze of wooden cubbyholes of all shapes and sizes, most with several parchment scrolls thrust into them, and it was somehow very clear that Professor McGonagall knew exactly what every cubbyhole meant, even if no one else did. A single parchment lay on the actual desk, which was, aside from that, clean. Behind the desk was a closed door barred with several locks.

Professor McGonagall was sitting on a backless stool behind the desk, looking puzzled - her eyes had widened, with perhaps a slight note of apprehension, as she saw Harry.

"Mr. Potter?" said Professor McGonagall. "What is this about?"

Harry's mind went blank. He'd been instructed by the game to come here, he had been expecting her to have something in mind...

"Mr. Potter?" said Professor McGonagall, starting to look slightly annoyed.

Thankfully, Harry's panicking brain remembered at this point that he did have something he'd been planning to discuss with Professor McGonagall. Something important and well worth her time.

"Um..." Harry said. "If there are any spells you can cast to make sure no one's listening to us..."

Professor McGonagall stood up from her chair, firmly closed the outer door, and began taking out her wand and saying spells.

It was at this point that Harry realised he was faced with a priceless and possibly irreplaceable opportunity to offer Professor McGonagall a Comed-Tea and he couldn't believe he was seriously thinking that and it would be fine the soda would vanish after a few seconds and he told that part of himself to shut up.

Seems like Eliezarry’s instinct for self-preservation has gotten sharper since his encounter with the Slytherin students and his misjudgment of their willingness to break his fingers.

quote:

It did, and Harry began to organise mentally what he was going to say. He hadn't planned to have this discussion quite so soon, but so long as he was here...

Professor McGonagall finished a spell that sounded a lot older than Latin, and then she sat down again.

"All right," she said in a quiet voice. "No one's listening." Her face was rather tight.

Oh, right, she's expecting me to blackmail her for information about the prophecy.

Eh, Harry'd get around to that some other day.

"It's about the Incident with the Sorting Hat," Harry said. (Professor McGonagall blinked.) "Um... I think there's an extra spell on the Sorting Hat, something that the Sorting Hat itself doesn't know about, something that triggers when the Sorting Hat says Slytherin. I heard a message that I'm pretty sure Ravenclaws aren't supposed to hear. It came the moment the Sorting Hat was off my head and I felt the connection break. It sounded like a hiss and like English at the same time," there was a sharp intake of breath from McGonagall, "and it said: Salutations from Slytherin to Slytherin, if you would seek my secrets, speak to my snake."

Professor McGonagall sat there with her mouth open, staring at Harry as if he'd grown another two heads.

"So..." Professor McGonagall said slowly, as though she couldn't believe the words that were coming out of her own lips, "you decided to come to me right away and tell me about it."

"Well, yes, of course," Harry said. There was no need to admit how long it had taken him to actually think of that. "As opposed to, say, trying to research it myself, or telling any of the other children."

"I... see," Professor McGonagall said. "And if, perhaps, you were to discover the entrance to Salazar Slytherin's legendary Chamber of Secrets, an entrance that you and you alone could open..."

"I would close the entrance and report to you at once so that a team of experienced magical archaeologists could be assembled," Harry said promptly. "Then I would open up the entrance again and they would go in very carefully to make sure that there was nothing dangerous. I might go in later to look around, or if they needed me to open up something else, but it would be after the area had been declared clear and they had photographs of how everything looked before people started tromping around their priceless historical site."

Professor McGonagall sat there with her mouth open, staring at him like he'd just turned into a cat.

"It's obvious if you're not a Gryffindor," Harry said kindly.

"I think," Professor McGonagall said in a rather choked voice, "that you far underestimate the rarity of common sense, Mr. Potter."

That sounded about right. Although... "A Hufflepuff would've said the same thing."

McGonagall paused, struck. "That's true."

Isn’t Eliezarry going to ask McGonagall about the mysterious “game” and his own instruction to himself to “go to Professor McGonagall's office”?

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

quote:

"I... see," Professor McGonagall said. "And if, perhaps, you were to discover the entrance to Salazar Slytherin's legendary Chamber of Secrets, an entrance that you and you alone could open..."

"I would close the entrance and report to you at once so that a team of experienced magical archaeologists could be assembled," Harry said promptly. "Then I would open up the entrance again and they would go in very carefully to make sure that there was nothing dangerous. I might go in later to look around, or if they needed me to open up something else, but it would be after the area had been declared clear and they had photographs of how everything looked before people started tromping around their priceless historical site."

I don't know why this annoyed me as much as it did, but ... well, I can see the attempt at humour; but ultimately it comes across as sycophantic, and blatant lies. Eliezarry seems to have no respect for adults, and would blatantly think that anyone apart from himself was going to mess-up the site, and would attempt to explore it himself, given his proclivities, probably selling off the magical artefacts he found.

Have we reached the slowest pace yet, or does it drag more than this later? I'm not sure I've enjoyed anything since Harry woke up.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NeoAnjou posted:

I don't know why this annoyed me as much as it did, but ... well, I can see the attempt at humour; but ultimately it comes across as sycophantic, and blatant lies. Eliezarry seems to have no respect for adults, and would blatantly think that anyone apart from himself was going to mess-up the site, and would attempt to explore it himself, given his proclivities, probably selling off the magical artefacts he found.

Have we reached the slowest pace yet, or does it drag more than this later? I'm not sure I've enjoyed anything since Harry woke up.
In a good parody based on the idea of an unusually rational/common sense hero this is a pretty standard joke, and it is quite funny when it is well executed. But it doesn't really work with Eliezarry as a hero who carries all the baggage of Yudowskie's idea of "Rationality".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously the thing that annoys me the most is this mishmash of elements from across all the books. It breaks my suspension of disbelief completely because it's so drat jarring.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Seriously the thing that annoys me the most is this mishmash of elements from across all the books. It breaks my suspension of disbelief completely because it's so drat jarring.

Oh, if that is jarring to you then just wait until you meet Eliezer's version of Quirrell. :unsmigghh:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

NeoAnjou posted:

Well, at THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT he's on a "try really hard not to be a prospective dark lord" kick, so I don't think he's lying about what he would do if he found the chamber of secrets at this exact moment. If he found it the previous week, or a week from here, I'd be less charitable though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NeoAnjou posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Two

quote:

"Sorting Hat offered me Hufflepuff."

She blinked at him as though she couldn't believe her own ears. "Did it really? "

"Yes."

"Mr. Potter," McGonagall said, and now her voice was low, "five decades ago was the last time a student died within the walls of Hogwarts, and I am now certain that five decades ago was the last time someone heard that message."

Is the Basilisk in this story going to be a stand-in / allegory for the “Roko’s Basilisk” that Eliezer is so terrified of?

quote:

A chill went through Harry. "Then I will be very sure to take no action whatsoever on this matter without consulting you, Professor McGonagall." He paused. "And may I suggest that you get together the best people you can find and see if it's possible to get that extra spell off the Sorting Hat... and if you can't do that, maybe put on another spell, a Quietus that briefly activates just as the Hat is being removed from a student's head, that might work as a patch. There, no more dead students." Harry nodded in satisfaction.

Professor McGonagall looked even more stunned, if such a thing were imaginable. "I cannot possibly award you enough points for this without giving the House Cup to Ravenclaw outright."

And then everyone in the school stood up and clapped.

quote:

"Um," Harry said. "Um. I'd rather not earn that many House points."

Now Professor McGonagall was giving him a strange look. "Why not?"

Harry was having a little difficulty putting it into words. "Because it would be just too sad, you know? Like... like back when I was still trying to go to school in the Muggle world, and whenever there was a group project, I'd go ahead and do the whole thing myself because the others would only slow me down. I'm fine with earning lots of points, more than anyone else even, but if I earn enough to be decisive in winning the House Cup just by myself, then it's like I'm carrying House Ravenclaw on my back and that's too sad."

"I see..." McGonagall said hesitantly. It was apparent that this way of thinking had never occurred to her. "Suppose I only awarded you fifty points, then?"

Harry shook his head again. "It's not fair to the other children if I earn lots of points for grownup things that I can be part of and they can't. How is Terry Boot supposed to earn fifty points for reporting a whisper he heard from the Sorting Hat? It wouldn't be fair at all."

This little exchange speaks so many, many volumes about Eliezarry’s Eliezer’s perception of himself.

quote:

"I see why the Sorting Hat offered you Hufflepuff," said Professor McGonagall. She was eyeing him with a strange respect.

That made Harry choke up a bit. He'd honestly thought he wasn't worthy of Hufflepuff. That the Sorting Hat had just been trying to shove him anywhere but Ravenclaw, into a House whose virtues he didn't have...

Professor McGonagall was smiling now. "And if I tried to give you ten points...?"

"Are you going to explain where those ten points came from, if anyone asks? There might be a lot of Slytherins, and I don't mean the children at Hogwarts, who would be really really angry if they knew about the spell being taken off the Sorting Hat and found out I was involved. So I think that absolute secrecy is the better part of valour. No need to thank me, ma'am, virtue is its own reward."

"So it is," Professor McGonagall said, "but I do have a very special something else to give you. I see that I have greatly wronged you in my thoughts, Mr. Potter. Please wait here."

This is way too jarring and sharp a turn in the characterization of one character, let alone the characterizations of and relationship between two characters.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I looked up Roko's Basilisk and feel dumber for knowing what it is. Also, I think what Yud needs is to stop self-medicating with bad fanfic and go see a psychiatrist.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, it's definitely not; Yudkowsky gets really mad at people who post about the basilisk. The subject came up a lot in the old mock thread, search there if you want to find out more.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's good to know people have contingency plans to deal with time-traveling evil AIs from the future. Really helps you sleep soundly at night.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

Well, it's good to know people have contingency plans to deal with time-traveling evil AIs from the future. Really helps you your soon to be endlessly tortured simulation sleep soundly at night.

We're going to get into that kind of stuff more in this later, but a common theme in his work is that super smart people should hide all dangerous ideas from the simple, normal folk, as if scientists were a cabal of secret wizards.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So the fanfic is basically him begging to be accepted into the Illuminati, right.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Night10194 posted:

super smart people should hide all dangerous ideas from the simple, normal folk, as if scientists were a cabal of secret wizards.

Gnostic atheism. No gods, no masters, but divine rational secrets of the universe that only the wise and mighty rationalists can be privileged with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Night10194 posted:

We're going to get into that kind of stuff more in this later, but a common theme in his work is that super smart people should hide all dangerous ideas from the simple, normal folk, as if scientists were a cabal of secret wizards.
And I'm guessing it's more in the way of "THIS DARK ART MUST BE HIDDEN, SAVE FROM THE BEISU-TSUKAI" rather than "Maybe this revolutionary new innovation should be kinda dribbled out over a few years, so we can see if it's going to gently caress things up and to avoid putting a million people out of work by next Friday."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gnostic atheism. No gods, no masters, but divine rational secrets of the universe that only the wise and mighty rationalists can be privileged with.

Well, yes. As I said earlier in the thread, my interest in Yud is entirely in how closely his work maps to a religion.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Night10194 posted:

He originally claimed this was a way to make science popular. But yes, he's quite fond of not showing his work. because he hasn't got any to show.

anilEhilated posted:

So the fanfic is basically him begging to be accepted into the Illuminati, right.

The Beisutsukai, you insufficiently rational person who is probably from a low-IQ country. (Ordinary humans were not so impressed.)

Night10194 posted:

Well, yes. As I said earlier in the thread, my interest in Yud is entirely in how closely his work maps to a religion.

Death - as in the heat-death of the universe, which even tawdry non-aging humans will fall to - will be solved by magic, as the superintelligent AI discovers new physics that make his dreams work. In all seriousness, that's his actual plan. He literally calls it "magic".

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Three

quote:

She got up, went over to the locked back door, waved her wand, and a sort of blurry curtain sprang up around her. Harry could neither see nor hear what was going on. It was a few minutes later that the blur vanished and Professor McGonagall was standing there, facing him, with the door behind her looking as though it hadn't ever been opened.

And Professor McGonagall held out in one hand a necklace, a thin golden chain bearing in its center a silver circle, within which was the device of an hourglass. In her other hand was a folded pamphlet. "This is for you," she said.

Wow! He was going to get some sort of neat magical item as a quest reward! Apparently that business with refusing offers of monetary rewards until you got a magic item actually worked in real life, not just computer games.

Harry accepted his new necklace, smiling. "What is it?"

Professor McGonagall took a breath. "Mr. Potter, this is an item which is ordinarily lent only to children who have already shown themselves to be highly responsible, in order to help them with difficult class schedules." McGonagall hesitated, as though about to add something else. "I must emphasise, Mr. Potter, that this item's true nature is secret and that you must not tell any of the other students about it, or let them see you using it. If that's not acceptable to you, then you can give it back now."

McGonagall was so distrustful and skeptical of Eliezarry barely a day ago, and now she’s giving him a highly classified magic item reserved for “highly responsible” students. Surely one act of “responsibility” by Eliezarry shouldn’t erase his tantrums and attempts to blackmail her during their shopping trip at Diagon Alley. Is McGonagall under some kind of mind control too?

quote:

"I can keep secrets," Harry said. "So what does it do?"

"So far as the other students are concerned, this is a Spimster wicket and it is used to treat a rare, non-contagious magical ailment called Spontaneous Duplication. You wear it under your clothes, and while you have no reason to show it to anyone, you also have no reason to treat it as an awful secret. Spimster wickets are not interesting. Do you understand, Mr. Potter?"

Harry nodded, his smile widening. He sensed the work of a competent Slytherin. "And what does it really do?"

"It's a Time-Turner. Each spin of the hourglass sends you one hour back in time. So if you use it to go back two hours every day, you should always be able to get to sleep at the same time."

Harry's suspension of disbelief blew completely out the window.

You're giving me a time machine to treat my sleep disorder.

You're giving me a TIME MACHINE to treat my SLEEP DISORDER.

YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

"Ehehehehhheheh..." Harry's mouth said. He was now holding the necklace away from him as though it were a live bomb. Well, no, not as if it were a live bomb, that didn't begin to describe the severity of the situation. Harry held the necklace away from him as though it were a time machine.

Surely nothing can go wrong with giving a time machine to a ten year old child who’s demonstrated distinct “Dark Lord” tendencies.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

At least here you can see bits where he's poking fun at the original books. Harry and co do win a lot of points for the House Cup because of their Voldemort-related activities, and Hogwarts does give out a time travel device to kids on a very flimsy justification.