Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

So... books still have weight, and you CAN'T put them in your stash? What the gently caress is the point of this then. I'm carrying 49lbs of books, and I can't put them in my stash.

There's literally no point in holding on to books after you've read them. Sell them to the library guy on heilarch square.

Edit: incidentally I love how books now tell you if you've read them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

a large trout posted:

I think i might have a slight addiction

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, you must be a walking wikipedia for this game by now!

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, you must be a walking wikipedia for this game by now!

Funny you say walking because I almost never use Roach or fast travel. There's just so many random things to explore that you won't see on the map.

For instance a couple of days ago I fell off a mountain in Skellige and got the wilhelm scream.

This game is the poo poo.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

What level are the lowest tier of Witcher gear now? Started my Death March playthrough, wondering when I should go hunting for my first set.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

a large trout posted:

I think i might have a slight addiction

The game's been out ~1440 hours. You've spent about 1 out of every 3 hours playing since the game came out. :psyduck:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

cams posted:

What level are the lowest tier of Witcher gear now? Started my Death March playthrough, wondering when I should go hunting for my first set.

Looking through my diagrams that I have

Feline level 17
Griffin level 11
Ursine level 20
Wolven level 14 (but you have to complete act 1 to get to Kaer Morhen to get the diagrams)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

There's literally no point in holding on to books after you've read them. Sell them to the library guy on heilarch square.

Edit: incidentally I love how books now tell you if you've read them

I mean, to me the only point of books that don't provide actual quest information is flavor. I want to read all the books, and it's great that it now tells you if you've read a book, but I'm not going to stop and read each book right when I find it because I'm usually doing something. The whole point of fleshing out this world a bunch of books is so that we can find them and read them. The fact that I can't just make library in my stash means it's harder for me to enjoy this element of the game as it is intended.

It's just strange to me they would acknowledge the issue of storage and carry weight and create a solution that only kind of fixes it. Like yes, I get it, the books are "pointless", but I like collecting things like that, but I think it's silly that they would redo the inventory systems so that some things have no weight and some things can be stored, but books both have weight and cannot be stored.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Random spawn bug still exist :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTHZ3Pc5DDs&t=184s

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

werdnam posted:

I just finished it, too. Goddammit, Dijkstra, you pushed just one time too many. I didn't really want to kill him.

Related to this, what was the deal with Geralt telling Dijkstra that Emhyr wanted to abdicate to Ciri? I hadn't heard anything about that until that conversation. It makes sense, but was Geralt just making it up to convince Dijkstra to let Phillippa go?

Emhyr's general mentions it to Geralt while Ciri and Emhyr are talking privately.

Just finally finished my first playthrough after two months and about 120 hours, and I have to confidently say this is one of my favorite games, ever. I didn't think anything would top DA: Inquisition so soon, as far as fantasy RPG's go, but boy was I wrong. It far exceeded my expectations, and I want more. I started playing Witcher 1 for a couple hours (hadn't played the previous games), and honestly, I was kind of turned off by the combat. It seems like it will be a bit of a slog for me, being a fan of Western action-oriented RPG's, but I really like the characters and the universe. Should I continue, and does Witcher 2 improve a lot in that regard?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Witcher 2 combat is closer to witcher 3 than witcher 1, it's a lot better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The whale animation seems kind of choppy. It freezes in the middle of its rising from the water and you can see the model underwater now, if you have cat and/or killer whale activated.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2015

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Snak posted:

So for everyone else, when you loaded up your game after patching, was the carry weight automatically updated? I'm still overburdened even though I can look in my inventory and see that all the crafting stuff weighs zero. I guess I'm gonna go to a stash and try emptying my inventory into it and then picking stuff back up, but it's kind of disappointing.

The oils being stuck at the bottom now is also super annoying since that's the think that you need to access most frequently, but otherwise all new features are great.

I'm having the carry weight issue as well, I haven't had the time to mess around and try to fix it yet though.

Agreed with the oil issue as well. Also vendors putting weapons on the top on of their inventory is kinda annoying. Wish there was a way to sort things in reverse order.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

werdnam posted:

I just finished it, too. Goddammit, Dijkstra, you pushed just one time too many. I didn't really want to kill him.

Related to this, what was the deal with Geralt telling Dijkstra that Emhyr wanted to abdicate to Ciri? I hadn't heard anything about that until that conversation. It makes sense, but was Geralt just making it up to convince Dijkstra to let Phillippa go?

Emhyr tells about trade corporations etc when you bring Uma to Vizima, it wouldn't be much of a leap of deduction to abdication there. And since Philippa is needed, I'm fairly sure it is about letting Philippa go - Dijkstra just capitalizes on the intel on Mad Rad afterwards.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
This game is great. I finally finished act I after 90 hours and there's still entire regions I haven't explored.

I'm currently gathering allies around Novigrad and I have a question: is there really no way to get Triss to stay and go help Ciri unless you confess your eternal love to her? There's still a couple sidequests involving her in my quest log which aren't marked as failed, so I assume she shows up later somehow?

Also, going to disagree completely on the oils thing. Unless we're playing the game very differently, oils are something you only use once in a while, whereas I'm drinking potions and switching bombs constantly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sertalman posted:

Also, going to disagree completely on the oils thing. Unless we're playing the game very differently, oils are something you only use once in a while, whereas I'm drinking potions and switching bombs constantly.

There are some talents in the alchemy tree that are very powerful and depend on you having an oiled blade.
(Much easier with the later oil recipes though, they last longer)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sertalman posted:

This game is great. I finally finished act I after 90 hours and there's still entire regions I haven't explored.

I'm currently gathering allies around Novigrad and I have a question: is there really no way to get Triss to stay and go help Ciri unless you confess your eternal love to her? There's still a couple sidequests involving her in my quest log which aren't marked as failed, so I assume she shows up later somehow?

Yen will call on Triss to help out in the battle after she gets the mages to safety, so you don't have to romance her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gorgolflox posted:

I'm having the carry weight issue as well, I haven't had the time to mess around and try to fix it yet though.

Agreed with the oil issue as well. Also vendors putting weapons on the top on of their inventory is kinda annoying. Wish there was a way to sort things in reverse order.

If you want easier access to your oils, sorting by rarity will put them kind of in the middle.

sertalman posted:

...oils always help? There are oils for literally every enemy in the game, so I equip an oil before every engagement that I have a chance to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snak posted:

...oils always help? There are oils for literally every enemy in the game, so I equip an oil before every engagement that I have a chance to.
Yeah, this. There's no reason to ever have anything but Hanged Man's Venom on your steel, and a +25% damage boost is always good so as soon as I get enhanced versions I always equip them when possible, too. Normal versions I take or leave, except necrophage oil, just because they're so common.

e: vvvv Wolves and bears are so drat easy its just not worth taking the time to switch. :v:

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 19, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, this. There's no reason to ever have anything but Hanged Man's Venom on your steel, and a +25% damage boost is always good so as soon as I get enhanced versions I always equip them when possible, too. Normal versions I take or leave, except necrophage oil, just because they're so common.

Beast oil also goes on steel swords. I am well over 100 hours in and still have not found the recipe for enhanced necrophage oil. It's driving me nuts.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I reached Isle of Mists and got the warning message about secondary quests. I'm pretty sure I've completed most of them. Exactly what do you close off at this point?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Snak posted:

Beast oil also goes on steel swords. I am well over 100 hours in and still have not found the recipe for enhanced necrophage oil. It's driving me nuts.

the herbalist in southern Novigrad should have it for sale

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Metanaut posted:

I reached Isle of Mists and got the warning message about secondary quests. I'm pretty sure I've completed most of them. Exactly what do you close off at this point?

Anyone who shows up at Kaer Morhen. Might also be Dandelion's, I think it failed for me the first time.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Anyone know where I can get the werewolf decoction recipe?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SoulChicken posted:

Anyone know where I can get the werewolf decoction recipe?

There's a shack in North Velen with some orphans you can feed. Give them food and as a reward they give you a book on werewolves that fills out your bestiary and gives you that decoction, IIRC.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010

Snak posted:

You can't equip them mid-fight though, so why would you need them to be at the top? Bombs and potions being the first thing makes more sense to me, since you only have two slots for each.

Different styles of play, I guess. I haven't paid much attention to the alchemy tree, aside from the skills that let you drink more potions.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

sertalman posted:

You can't equip them mid-fight though, so why would you need them to be at the top? Bombs and potions being the first thing makes more sense to me, since you only have two slots for each.

Oils? Sure you can. Just drag it on your sword.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
Wait, what? That doesn't work when playing with a controller.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

sertalman posted:

Wait, what? That doesn't work when playing with a controller.

It's a PC only thing, and it might be mouse-only.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It doesn't work on PC when playing with a controller and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to use them mid-fight anyway. It's a glitch.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Sharmat posted:

It doesn't work on PC when playing with a controller and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to use them mid-fight anyway. It's a glitch.

It's the best glitch and one of the first things I checked after the patch! Switching between controller and mouse is seamless on pc, so it makes sense to navigate the inventory with the mouse and then move and fight with the controller. Just drag and drop oils onto your swords whenever you need to.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I wish they'd move the quick circle to the right of the quick menu interface and add a grid to the other side where the 1st column was your oils, the 2nd your potions, and the 3rd your bombs, all selectable with the d-pad or mouse.

Selecting an oil would apply it to the relevant sword, selecting a potion would let you either use it or bind it to a quick slot, and selecting a bomb would just let you bind it to a bomb quick slot.

The recent improvements to the inventory are good ones, but it would still be nice to just never really have to deal with the actual inventory unless you're interacting with a vendor NPC or your stash.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

Well you can gulp down potions and food in your hotkey slots pretty much as quickly as you press buttons so why shouldn't you be able to drench your sword in oil between eating a whole roasted chicken and drinking 5 bottles of water?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Has the patch made performance worse for anyone else on PC? I thought it was supposed to have optimizations. I'm having the opposite experience.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

eXXon posted:

Well you can gulp down potions and food in your hotkey slots pretty much as quickly as you press buttons so why shouldn't you be able to drench your sword in oil between eating a whole roasted chicken and drinking 5 bottles of water?

Potions at least make a degree of sense because you could in theory hold the sword in one hand, grab the potion and quaff with the other. Potions are also small so it's quick, it's not drinking a 20 oz bottle of water or something. Applying oil is kinda like "ok hold on mr. I ran out of oil... Hey no fair attacking right now!" Food could in theory make sense if it was like berries or something the chicken is lol yes.

Anyway on ps4 it explicitly says you are not allowed to do that during combat just like drinking or eating anything not in your pockets. That all said you can drink any potion in your inventory which is supposed to be in the saddlebags if not on your pockets I guess.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Anyway I beat the game last night. The level 34 cap kinda makes sense to me now. The only sidequest I didn't do was "Gangs of Novigrad" and the gwent one. I got all sets of armor so all the treasure hunts. I did all contracts and explored every spot in velen/novigrad. I only hit 34 after I got the sunstone. I quick travelled back to Get my mastercrafted griffin set and had it for the final showdown only. That kinda feels right too.

I guess I only had like half of Skelliges point of interest done so I could have been 34 slightly earlier. I also keep finding ! Mini quests even now in random places. Even Velen where I've literally been everywhere. I think it may be impossible to find everything on your own in this game.

Edit Major end game spoilers:
crachs death felt a little shoehorned, but at least he went out like a badass

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eXXon posted:

I never really thought if that but I would love to see a Witcher animated short of Geralt in combat with a nasty foe and in between violent swings the camera labs over to see him cramming a ham hock or a fruit pie into his gob.
Like... Some people like to eat while watching Tv. Geralt does all his eating while in combat.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Feenix posted:

o
I never really thought if that but I would love to see a Witcher animated short of Geralt in combat with a nasty foe and in between violent swings the camera labs over to see him cramming a ham hock or a fruit pie into his gob.

It brings back memories of Deus Ex and having Adam cram protein bars or entire mayo jars down his gullet just prior to doing a takedown.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CVagts posted:

The patch seemed to break the console command mod. :(

It's been updated now.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Great, nothing I do will make the Vernon Roche cutscene play when you go see him in the cave for the Get Junior quest. So I guess I'm hosed and will never get to beat the game. How is this bug still in the game? Googling it it looks like it's been in since launch. I just want to get Novigrad finished so I can go over to Skellige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mustang posted:

Great, nothing I do will make the Vernon Roche cutscene play when you go see him in the cave for the Get Junior quest. So I guess I'm hosed and will never get to beat the game. How is this bug still in the game? Googling it it looks like it's been in since launch. I just want to get Novigrad finished so I can go over to Skellige.

Is there a save you have from day an hour or less of playtime before you started get junior? Might be time to bite the bullet and just replay some.