Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Couple of questions about AST. Is the weapon super important or am I ok getting armour first? Should my bonus points be in Mind or Piety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
At least these people starting this debate posts know how it is at the end game for healers.

Ninja healer, its all making sense now.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

more like dICK posted:

Couple of questions about AST. Is the weapon super important or am I ok getting armour first? Should my bonus points be in Mind or Piety?

Weapon > all, always. Put points in mind, it's your main stat. Piety only increases your MP and you'll get it off gear.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Can someone post that Unspoiler timer website again? I checked like 20 pages but I must be a moron because I missed it.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Poultron posted:

Can someone post that Unspoiler timer website again? I checked like 20 pages but I must be a moron because I missed it.

http://www.garlandtools.org/bell/

That's the best one sofar i think

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Pews posted:

http://www.garlandtools.org/bell/

That's the best one sofar i think

That's the one, thanks.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Pews posted:

Piety is viable on DRK too, makes mana management easier. But that's just for the 'end-game' since its more of a meld choice. Expect Piety V materia price to go through the roof.

Just in case anyone believes this:
You would need to put on ~200 points worth of Piety just to hold one Siphon Strike worth of MP, and none of DRK's MP recovery scales with MP pool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eorzan fashion

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Willias posted:

It's 4-5k HP, which depending on how you look at it, is an increase of 33% or a loss of 25% of your tank's total health pool.

I just checked this for giggles: If I switch from 4 STR+1 VIT to 4 VIT+1 STR, my HP goes from 13431 to 15645

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
From FC chat, new pubbie horror story -

WoD. WAR with 6.2k health. Jewelry was a mix of MND and INT.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Klades posted:

I just checked this for giggles: If I switch from 4 STR+1 VIT to 4 VIT+1 STR, my HP goes from 13431 to 15645

How dare you!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

isk posted:

From FC chat, new pubbie horror story -

WoD. WAR with 6.2k health. Jewelry was a mix of MND and INT.

Hey just hit 50 this morning, gotta find a way to meet the il needs.

...I totally slapped on DPS jewelry the first time I healed WoD.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Has this been discussed?
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/07/17/final-fantasy-xiv-3-05-content-detailed-with-screenshots-alexander-savage-raid-and-more-pvp/

the article posted:

You’ll be able to access each of the four floors only if at least one member of the party didn’t complete it during the current week.

If your party contains players replaying an area prior to the weekly reset, the number of treasure coffers appearing upon completion will decrease.*
Furthermore, players will be ineligible for rewards from treasure coffers as well as pages of the Gordian Manifesto when replaying an area prior to the weekly reset.

* If there are one to four players in your party replaying a turn, only a single treasure coffer will appear.
If there are five to seven players in your party replaying a turn, no treasure coffers will appear.
Players in the party who have yet to complete a given area in Alexander: Gordias (Savage) prior to the weekly reset will receive a page of the Gordian Manifesto.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Edit: Ignore this I'm dumb.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yes, you'll be able to buy tokens from progression raiders every week and eventually have gear that you don't deserve you filthy casual.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Now you just need to be good enough to 4-man Savage Alex and you can sell infinite Alex tokens!

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Shere posted:

There's no choice between VIT or STR either FYI. If you choose VIT you chose wrong. Learn to use your damned cooldowns on a rotation in anticipation of big hits. Not after you've already been tank slapped for 10k like an idiot.

Its a lot easier for the tank who is already hitting the boss to do more damage than it is for a healer to target juggle, not that STR accessories preclude an even halfway decent healer from dpsing at all.

If you think the extra 4000 hp matters, it doesn't. It's not a significant pillow or cushion or whatever. Don't excuse poor tanking by blaming their stupid jewelry.

You don't wear VIT so you can stand in AoEs, you don't wear VIT so you can tank badly, you wear VIT so there is more time in which a healer can get to you before you die. Your job as a tank (especially as main tank) is getting hit in the face and being able to get hit in the face again 2 seconds later and not die. This means if a healer or DPS does something dumb and you aren't being paid attention to by a healer 100% of the time, you need enough health to stick around for that period of time.

You can say GIT GUD all you like, but I'd rather have the boss we're fighting end up dead rather than waiting for a perfect run. Once my group gets used to a fight, and knows how to react to little mistakes or stops making them altogether, THEN the STR gear comes out. Not before.

Exception to this is the offtank: 75% of the time you better be in full STR jewelry.

Klades posted:

Full STR right side:

Full VIT right side:

This difference will only continue to go up as jewelry gets higher stats.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Willias posted:

You don't wear VIT so you can stand in AoEs, you don't wear VIT so you can tank badly, you wear VIT so there is more time in which a healer can get to you before you die. Your job as a tank (especially as main tank) is getting hit in the face and being able to get hit in the face again 2 seconds later and not die. This means if a healer or DPS does something dumb and you aren't being paid attention to by a healer 100% of the time, you need enough health to stick around for that period of time.

You can say GIT GUD all you like, but I'd rather have the boss we're fighting end up dead rather than waiting for a perfect run. Once my group gets used to a fight, and knows how to react to little mistakes or stops making them altogether, THEN the STR gear comes out. Not before.

Exception to this is the offtank: 75% of the time you better be in full STR jewelry.

It's not GIT GUD, don't dismiss me like that. I am stating the fact: There is no fight currently in the game made easier by having more HP on your tank. The inverse is actually true, fights like Bismarck become substantially easier when your tank is an active contributor to the DPS pool.

HP over the necessary minimum is wasted, just like accuracy.

Willias posted:

Full STR right side:

Full VIT right side:

This difference will only continue to go up as jewelry gets higher stats.

No, it won't. The left side gear gains VIT every time the item level increases too. That's where the bulk of your vitality comes from in the first place, and very likely where all necessary HP will come from as it always has.

edit: I'll correct myself; I suppose you'll have more worthless VIT on your ilvl 200 VIT accessories but it's not like a paladin's gonna be sitting at 13k either, they'll make HP gains on the left side.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 19, 2015

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Shere posted:

No, it won't. The left side gear gains VIT every time the item level increases too. That's where the bulk of your vitality comes from in the first place, and very likely where all necessary HP will come from as it always has.

Well the absolute difference will increase but the relative difference will not change. Right side VIT will still be like 20% of your HP pool, but the actual amount of HP that is will go up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only two current fights in the game where I'd recommend some extra Vitality for the main tank are Ravana Extreme and A4, since those are the only cases where there's massive tankbusters going on at the same time as large amounts of raidwide damage. There's no reason to wear it outside of those two cases.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What do people mean by melded accessories?

Just like, ones with high level materia in them? Or is there some other thing I'm missing.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shere posted:

There is no fight currently in the game made easier by having more HP on your tank.

This is absolutely false.

I'll agree that there is no tank buster in the game that currently hits for more than 13.5k, but you seem to forget that healers have things to do other to heal you specifically with every GCD. We're also dodging fire and, more importantly, keeping stupid DPS who DON'T dodge fire alive. The less often I am put in a position where I *must* heal you or you will die before my next GCD, the more time I can spend healing the other idiots. That makes most fights *substantially* easier. The extra DPS doesn't compensate.

In a world where no one ever takes avoidable damage and healers are standing around with thumbs up their asses most of the fight? Sure, fine, I agree with you. Most people don't live in that world.

Doresain fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 19, 2015

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Just like, ones with high level materia in them? Or is there some other thing I'm missing.
Generally speaking melded accessories means melding vit to accessories that normally don't have vit (or melding strength to vit accessories), which gets you a bit of best of both worlds.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Vermain posted:

The only two current fights in the game where I'd recommend some extra Vitality for the main tank are Ravana Extreme and A4, since those are the only cases where there's massive tankbusters going on at the same time as large amounts of raidwide damage. There's no reason to wear it outside of those two cases.

Even Ravana is not hard to STR tank as long as you're dual tanking it and you know how to hit CDs. If you're solo tanking it then you might want some vit though.

Doresain posted:

This is absolutely false.

I'll agree that there is no tank buster in the game that currently hits for more than 13.5k, but you seem to forget that healers have things to do other to heal you specifically with every GCD. We're also dodging fire and, more importantly, keeping stupid DPS who DON'T dodge fire alive. The less often I am put in a position where I *must* heal you or you will die before my next GCD, the more time I can spend healing the other idiots. That makes most fights *substantially* easier. The extra DPS doesn't compensate.

In a world where no one ever takes avoidable damage and is communicating in voice chat etc? Sure, fine, I agree with you. Most people don't live in that world.

Why are you not pre-casting heals for tank busters? You should never let the tank get in the position where you have to choose between healing them or healing a DPS unless the fight has gone completely and utterly to poo poo, in which case a VIT spec tank is going to make zero difference.

I have been healing Alex through DF since it came out. I've gotten my fair share of completely garbage players who stand in every aoe and don't understand mechanics. Want to know how many times a STR spec tank has wiped us? 0.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty much. With non-crafted accessories, you can't get both mainstat and vitality, but by melding crafted accessories, you can. They're lower ilevel, so you get less of each stat, but it makes for a more efficient tradeoff. For example, with the i190 Gordian rings, you have to choose between 40 STR or 40 VIT, but with melded Chrysolite rings, you can have 31 STR and 29 VIT.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
If you think healing a STR spec warrior in literally any fight currently out is harder than healing a VIT one, you're either bad or misguided.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This is a terrible thread full of terrible people with terrible opinions. Tanks are all bad no matter how they gear themselves, healers are whiny babies that will complain about everything because what else will they do with all that free time between heals, and every DPS has some kind of learning disability that will inevitably lead to an enrage timer wipe.

Post more angry looking potatoes and Deus Ex outfits.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The healers act like red mages from ff11, making you say "thank you" for every single spell cast.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Carry a full load of vit and str accessories at all times and swap as needed before each engagement hth fucker scrubs :^)

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

bonewitch posted:

Why are you not pre-casting heals for tank busters?

What? We're not talking about tank busters, so I don't know how you inferred this or why it is relevant.

bonewitch posted:

You should never let the tank get in the position where you have to choose between healing them or healing a DPS unless the fight has gone completely and utterly to poo poo

See below:

Doresain posted:

...keeping stupid DPS who DON'T dodge fire alive.

In a world where no one ever takes avoidable damage and healers are standing around with thumbs up their asses most of the fight? Sure, fine, I agree with you. Most people don't live in that world.

I don't know why that is a controversial statement.

bonewitch posted:

If you think healing a STR spec warrior in literally any fight currently out is harder than healing a VIT one, you're either bad or misguided.

Ok! poo poo, I'm bad, I never knew! :( Thanks for telling me!

I think I've stated my position and no one on either side of the debate is going to change their mind, so I'll duck out and let the thread with my bad player opinions get back to catgirls etc as it should be.

Doresain fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 19, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Maybe healers should just stop healing anyone who isn't a tank unless it's a raid-wide attack. DPS shouldn't need healing, right? They don't have the hate of the boss. :colbert:

"Oh you died? Sorry, I'm only healing the tank because it's his job to take the damage and he's wearing str instead of vit."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Vermain posted:

What about A3? Specifically the hand phase with the stacking vulns? Not intending to be an rear end in a top hat, I have no investment in this argument I'm just curious. Because that phase has seen me on sub-1000 health more than any other phase of any other fight in Heavensward so far.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Pierson posted:

What about A3? Specifically the hand phase with the stacking vulns? Not intending to be an rear end in a top hat, I have no investment in this argument I'm just curious. Because that phase has seen me on sub-1000 health more than any other phase of any other fight in Heavensward so far.
you're supposed to share the damage with the other tank until it splits, then you tank them in opposite directions so both tanks don't get hit by the stacks

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ilifinicus posted:

you're supposed to share the damage with the other tank until it splits, then you tank them in opposite directions so both tanks don't get hit by the stacks
We do that but it still has both of us dangerously low. I guess I've just been cursed with bad healers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure what to think about this until Belzac weighs in.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Healing someone at critical HP, 1000/13000, generates a lot more Limit Break than healing someone at 5000/17000, so obviously tanks should spend all their time in STR gear.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pierson posted:

Now you just need to be good enough to 4-man Savage Alex and you can sell infinite Alex tokens!

Tokens still drop for the 1 newbie if the other 7 have cleared that fight for the week already.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe healers should just stop healing anyone who isn't a tank unless it's a raid-wide attack. DPS shouldn't need healing, right? They don't have the hate of the boss. :colbert:

"Oh you died? Sorry, I'm only healing the tank because it's his job to take the damage and he's wearing str instead of vit."

Actually, this is exactly what you should do. Regen/fairy healing is much more mp efficient, but you lose out on the time efficiency of direct healing. Since DPS shouldn't be taking damage very often, you can let them slowly get back up to full health over 20 seconds instead spamming cure on them. Plus, that gives them enough time to remember that they have second wind or bloodbath, which means you can give even less of a poo poo about them.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every time this DF Ninja used Trick Attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pierson posted:

We do that but it still has both of us dangerously low. I guess I've just been cursed with bad healers.

That's why you save all your cooldowns for that phase, because you really don't need them for any other part of the fight.

• Locked thread