Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's a EU channel in game as well, it's called Goons and it's the one with actual people in.

Edit: well, there was one before the one made above, no pw either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

Tekopo posted:

There's a EU channel in game as well, it's called Goons and it's the one with actual people in.

Edit: well, there was one before the one made above, no pw either

Yeah, noticed that now. Abandon the passworded channel!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

El Disco posted:

That's how it used to be in CBT. But they changed the wording on it to affect ALL guns 155mm and below. I can confirm that it does indeed drop the reload speed on the Atlanta from 5s to 4.5s. And Advanced Firing Training ups the range on the Cleveland to around 17.4km (with an almost 18s shell travel time :smith:).

Oh, sweet. How come the Cleveland has slower shells than the Omaha? Same caliber, longer range, lower velocity? Makes no sense :confused:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Oh, sweet. How come the Cleveland has slower shells than the Omaha? Same caliber, longer range, lower velocity? Makes no sense :confused:

Balancing. To get a Cleveland with faster shells, advance to tier 7 please :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Balancing. To get a Cleveland with faster shells, advance to tier 7 please :smith:

Already the team with most Clevelands wins.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
I was getting pretty pissed off with Battleships, in the New York at the moment and constantly having problems landing hits, getting torped at inopportune times and generally having a rough time of it, not really making much more than 700xp sometimes. Took a break back in the St. Louis and man that ship really is glorious, it's so much fun to play and so easy to do very well in - is there anything like it further down the cruiser line?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Phoenix. Omaha. Cleveland. ...

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

Ihmemies posted:

Phoenix. Omaha. Cleveland. ...

I've only just unlocked the Phoenix but it doesn't seem quiet as ridiculous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Squido posted:

I hated the Phoenix initially because it came after the St. Louis and played completely differently, so it took some getting used to. Plus, the upgrades make a huge, huge difference on it.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Tenryu and Kuma are wonderful ships. Playing them makes playing the Fukutaka all the more painful.

They're good when not being shot at by someone who knows what a citadel is, or how to hit one. My CBT experience was basically committing Japanese Light Cruiser Genocide every single match in my Iwaki because I could aim with AP and they couldn't. The giant, weak-as-gently caress citadel is also the only fault the Iwaki has, otherwise it's very similar to its two tech tree cousins.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've finally managed to upgrade the Cleveland and it's like the good old times in CBT. Guns firing at 7 seconds per volley. I was facing a New York and sometimes if I aimed well my HE was doing like 6k damage per volley. My last match I ended up facing a New York and a Colorado: I managed to get the New York down from full health and destroy it, but by then my entire team was gone so I was facing the entire air arm of a VII tier carrier alone as well. I managed to get the Colorado down to half health and shot down 29 planes, but the combination of having to maneuver against enemy planes and the shots from the Colorado eventually brought me down. Love this ship.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Squido posted:

The stock Phoenix is garbage. It doesn't get good until you have the hull and gun upgrades, then you weave around spraying death.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Anyone else getting, or heard of a graphics glitch on Big Race? My screen turns into LSD land, but it's only on that one map,

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Trump posted:

Anyone else getting, or heard of a graphics glitch on Big Race? My screen turns into LSD land, but it's only on that one map,

You're not using WINE, are you?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Cleveland is fun but the weird floaty shots are much harder to aim. I'm also finding less AP prone targets at tier 6 since I've been unable to land citadel hits on other Cleveland's with it.

But it's AA is murdertastic. I'm trying to maximize the range of it. The AA upgrade increases it by 20%, and skills add another 20% right? Does that mean it's 5"/.38s 5km range gets boosted to 7km? While the longest ranged AA guns typically have the lowest DPS it appears more because they are slow, hard hitting guns. They still shoot down planes as well as the rest of them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Once you get used to the floaty shots it's not actually that bad and the volume of fire and firing speed more than makes up for it, it's very easy to adjust. I only use AP on the cleveland if I find lower tier cruisers, otherwise I just keep HE loaded and switch when I need to. Worked just as well as in CBT. I also use the aiming upgrade instead of the AA upgrade though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Langley is so incredibly bad since they nerfed it to balance the shitpile Hosho, how does anyone grind through 25k of it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is it worthwhile at all to fire 8" AP at cruisers that are angled to me?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

wdarkk posted:

Is it worthwhile at all to fire 8" AP at cruisers that are angled to me?

Depends on angle. If it's really acute, no. If it's not so bad, go for your life. You'll soon find out if the angle's too much because you'll hear (and possibly see) the ricochets.

Speaking of firing 8" AP at cruisers,

Replay

I was a little disappointed at the draw, but really I couldn't be angry like I would be if it was WoT. I did my best, I cost myself my ship by missing two potential citadel broadsides on an Atlanta because I misjudged his speed, and my team just didn't have the time or numbers to finish the match.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 19, 2015

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
You guys weren't kidding about the Furutaka , it's...challenging. Slow reload and turret rotation, feels like i'm in a battleship sometimes. Looks like upgraded modules won't help either.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

wdarkk posted:

You're not using WINE, are you?

Nope, Win7. It's only on this one map. Anyway I can manually check if those files are somehow corrupted?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Trump posted:

Nope, Win7. It's only on this one map. Anyway I can manually check if those files are somehow corrupted?

I think people may have problems with that map in general if anything weird is going on, there's a WINE issue related to that map too.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I get little glitches on the minimap occasionally where I will see a red blip for half a second, usually in the NW corner. Annoys the heck out of me because my instant throught is sneaky DD

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lakedaimon posted:

I get little glitches on the minimap occasionally where I will see a red blip for half a second, usually in the NW corner. Annoys the heck out of me because my instant throught is sneaky DD

I always think it's a bomber or fighter. Definitely messes with me too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shoul I purchase the Cleveland's gun upgrade? That's a lot of turning penalty.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Increased rate of fire is worth it on the Cleveland. How often do you find yourself doing 180 degree turns? That is the only time the turn rate hurts, and if you are having to do 180, you are probably too busy avoiding death to shoot anyway.

Panfilo posted:

I always think it's a bomber or fighter. Definitely messes with me too.
It actually is a bomber or fighter icon. The NW corner must be 0,0 and the default location. If you watch carefully and your team has good visibility of the map, you'll notice that it does it when a carrier launches planes. It flashes in the NW corner, then shows up in the proper location.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Shoul I purchase the Cleveland's gun upgrade? That's a lot of turning penalty.
Hell yes, it takes 2 seconds off the reload time. The turning penalty is really not that bad, you just have to pre-plan your moves slightly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just want to say how much I hate the captain interface, it's a slow and cumbersome mess. Especially when it involves trying to switch around captains between ships. It was only a level 5 captain that somehow disappeared but it's the principle of the thing. It shouldn't happen. :argh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

PirateBob posted:

Different gun + different shell

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tekopo posted:

Hell yes, it takes 2 seconds off the reload time. The turning penalty is really not that bad, you just have to pre-plan your moves slightly.

With all the range upgrades available and the upgraded guns on the Cleveland, how many salvoes can it juggle in the air at a time?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

At least 3 easily if you are firing at long range. Would need to check though.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
I suck in my cleveland :smith:

I have a hard time leading targets correctly at ranges beyond 11km with it, so I just stick to supporting BBs and/or staying in pack with other cruisers for somewhat close range brawling.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Will be grinding in ts for awhile today, tier 5-8, 56k to go for North Carolina but keep getting thrown into games with tier9s.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Kresher posted:

I suck in my cleveland :smith:

I have a hard time leading targets correctly at ranges beyond 11km with it, so I just stick to supporting BBs and/or staying in pack with other cruisers for somewhat close range brawling.

At max range, you need to aim the whole screen ahead for cruisers and even more for destroyers. I'd recommend a custom crosshairs mod that goes across the whole screen and is numbered so you can remember how far to aim. Hitting anything but battleships is still a crapshoot beyond 10km though. Sometimes people just go straight though because all the bad guys are 17km away and they couldn't possibly shoot that far, right?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tekopo posted:

At least 3 easily if you are firing at long range. Would need to check though.

It would be pretty funny if you managed to land a salvo on a nonmoving BB or CV 17km out since the moment they hear an initial bang there's gonna be 1 or 2 following up shortly!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

At max range, you need to aim the whole screen ahead for cruisers and even more for destroyers. I'd recommend a custom crosshairs mod that goes across the whole screen and is numbered so you can remember how far to aim. Hitting anything but battleships is still a crapshoot beyond 10km though. Sometimes people just go straight though because all the bad guys are 17km away and they couldn't possibly shoot that far, right?

Any suggestions for such crosshairs? A simple line with some evenly spaced numbers would be more than enough :)

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Any suggestions for such crosshairs? A simple line with some evenly spaced numbers would be more than enough :)

I used Aslain's mod pack. It's got tons of crosshairs to choose from but I forget the name of what I use. The only other mod that seems worthwhile is the one that colors AP and HE shells different colors.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

I used Aslain's mod pack. It's got tons of crosshairs to choose from but I forget the name of what I use. The only other mod that seems worthwhile is the one that colors AP and HE shells different colors.

There's a couple other ones worth using. The minimap mod that shows last known positions is useful. Contour icons that show you the torp range + reload time and gun range + reload time is nice as well.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Don't worry, Rossmum. I too, bonk my head on islands in Hotspot all the time while trying to maneuver in my BB's.

Edit: I figured it out. The Amagi is a great anti-air emplacement!

It will, compared to other lower-tiered battleships, move pretty dang fast and smash planes out of the sky, or your money back guaranteed!

OSad fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solysh
Mar 29, 2008

There are three things you can never have enough of in life, Lieutenant: chocolate, friends and the theatre.
Has anyone seen the map glitch with CVs yet?

I was in an ocean match earlier today as a T8 and we started in the north west. While we were all pushing to the south west every single one of the IJN T9's planes popped out of the side of the map next to our CV and nuked it.

Clearly an exploit and I filed a ticket.