Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Soma and Nao's meeting was pretty great though. I didn't even realise their similarities until the chapter basically pointed them out.
I'm really looking forward to that team-up, or their shokugeki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Alice is the best. So is Megumi.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat I was gonna post a crop of that too.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nao hanging out in the background the whole chapter was pretty great. Soma has a way of getting along with pretty much anybody.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nao hanging out in the background the whole chapter was pretty great. Soma has a way of getting along with pretty much anybody.

They bonded over their shared love of feeding people horrible things. Except Nao's horrible things are actually delicious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just caught up with this. One thing that stood out to me is that the results of the cooking contests are totally arbitrary because it is completely impossible for the writer or artist to convey which dish is better than the other, unless they're both horrible. I mean, every single contest has the first chapter be about how contestant A's food is orgasmically good, the next chapter is about how contestant B's food is orgasmically good, and then the author flips a coin and decides who won. Or I guess decides who should win ahead of time based on the stage of character development they're in.

The story became more satisfying once I realized that there's never actually any kind of reason for anyone to win, and trying to pretend like there is just makes your head hurt.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 19, 2015

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They bonded over their shared love of feeding people horrible things. Except Nao's horrible things are actually delicious.

Nao and Souma do a tag-team Shokugeki and make a perfected version of peanut-butter squid. It blows everyone away, gets Erina to finally respect Souma, world peace, HL3 comes out etc. etc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Nao and Souma do a tag-team Shokugeki and make a perfected version of peanut-butter squid. It blows everyone away, gets Erina to finally respect Souma, world peace, HL3 comes out etc. etc.

If at some point Soma doesn't perfect peanut-butter squid and use it to win a tough shokugeki then what was even the point of this manga?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If at some point Soma doesn't perfect peanut-butter squid and use it to win a tough shokugeki then what was even the point of this manga?

To perfect some other horrible concoction like Honey and octopus

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Clarste posted:

The story became more satisfying once I realized that there's never actually any kind of reason for anyone to win, and trying to pretend like there is just makes your head hurt.

It's just like real life cooking judging. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

To perfect some other horrible concoction like Honey and octopus

Shokugeki no Soma Manga Discussion: Slimy Tentacles Molesting Girls' Mouths.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's not even a hard recipe to perfect. Thai peanut butter sauce is great and octopus doesn't have a particularly strong flavor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

Just caught up with this. One thing that stood out to me is that the results of the cooking contests are totally arbitrary because it is completely impossible for the writer or artist to convey which dish is better than the other, unless they're both horrible. I mean, every single contest has the first chapter be about how contestant A's food is orgasmically good, the next chapter is about how contestant B's food is orgasmically good, and then the author flips a coin and decides who won. Or I guess decides who should win ahead of time based on the stage of character development they're in.

They reached peak bullshit when the Indian guy won because his dish has more "soul" or whatever the bs verdict was. It's too be expected but power creep in a cooking manga can make literally no sense really easily.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It was more that everyone's dish tasted good but he was doing something unique and had a signature style. Something unique AND top notch will pull more customers in general

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The same arguments crop up with any contest involving judges. It's not like this is darts or something with a set system of points that makes it obvious who the winner is just by watching, there are no specific points or rules beyond "does the food fit the theme?" and "does it taste good?" That's why there are judges in the first place.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Death Bot posted:

It was more that everyone's dish tasted good but he was doing something unique and had a signature style. Something unique AND top notch will pull more customers in general

To be more specific, he cooked a dish dedicated to a special someone which apparently makes food taste better.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I enjoyed Hayama's confusing as poo poo win in the end of the festival thing.

Because there's this big lecture about "I have to be able to picture the chef's face when I eat the dish" and "specialties" and stuff...

and uh, literally all 3 of them used their specialty. Like, the whole loving point of all those chapters and character building is explaining their specialties. Souma makes creative haute cuisine for the masses, weird angry dude's specialty is seafood dishes with really strong/distinct tastes, and Hayama uses a fuckload of spices on everything and focuses on the sense of smell. Nobody cooks like any of them. If the author literally did a quiz before the end and just described all three dishes and had you guess which one was done by which cook, anyone who read the series would answer correctly 3/3.

I guess the idea was to push the underlying theme of "find someone you love to cook for", but eh. I'm sure we'll get around to finding out how Souma's mom died or w/e.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's not just the type of cooking but he got lucky in that it was just the right dish at the right time his dedication to the person he wanted to cook for drove him to create a dish that was "his". Turned up to the usual shonen bullshit they all had good swords but the other two used the standard diagonal slash and he used a special move.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Elfgames posted:

It's not just the type of cooking but he got lucky in that it was just the right dish at the right time his dedication to the person he wanted to cook for drove him to create a dish that was "his". Turned up to the usual shonen bullshit they all had good swords but the other two used the standard diagonal slash and he used a special move.

Uh, no. It was pure bullshit bad writing. Write it off and move on.

Aaaaanyhow, if Souma doesn't team up with Nao to create an orgasmically disgusting dish I'm going to be terribly disappointed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eej posted:

To be more specific, he cooked a dish dedicated to a special someone which apparently makes food taste better.

It might help that this is the first cooking manga i've read but this always made perfect sense to me. Like, from a Shonen perspective.

Because say, in a battle manga, if a dude is fighting someone for the sake of his family, or friends, or loved ones or whatever, then his punches are going to be stronger than like an equally strong dude who is just fighting for himself. Or like in a sports manga where a guy who wants to win the championship for the sake of his entire team will be better at footballing than if he just wants to win for himself. It's a thing I find to be pretty common to Shonen.

And at the very least the manga is remarkably consistent about this because cooking for the sake of others has always been portrayed as something that will improve your cooking. It's basically the basis of Megumi's whole hospitality thing, because while she may not be as skilled as some of the others she's basically cooking for the sake of everyone so her food tastes better than if she made the same dish without actually caring about people. I dunno, being better at what you're doing by following some themes or ideals (and this manga has a hell of a lot of Shonen themes that apparently influence cooking) is something I find common to manga in general. It comes off as stupid, but the same kind of stupid which is giving students power to expand school property or kick people out of the school by way of cooking competitions. The kind of expected stupid you're going to get out of a shonen cooking manga.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

buzmeg posted:

Aaaaanyhow, if Souma doesn't team up with Nao to create an orgasmically disgusting dish I'm going to be terribly disappointed.

It'll either be a doubles match with them versus Hisako (because that's the other person connected to them) and someone or Hisako judging their dish with Nao going all out to impress her (and using the most disgusting things in the process).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 128, gently caress YOU SENPAI, love Soma

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm glad the "Screw you silver spoon babies, I have actual working experience" aspect of Souma's character keeps coming up.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I hope Tootsuki has a burn ward.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm glad the "Screw you silver spoon babies, I have actual working experience" aspect of Souma's character keeps coming up.

I think there have been enough counterexamples that it's not justifiable to assume that anyone from the school is a "sliver spoon baby." Italian rival, Megumi, seafood man, spice man... actually more than half of the 8 person tournament were from working class or poorer backgrounds, and 3/8 have been running restaurants since they were kids. Even arrogant French chef guy (former #1) is from rural Japan and worked his way up with his own skill. I mean, sure, maybe having all that experience puts them in a better position than the nameless masses, but I don't think it makes any sense to just assume that a member of the Elite 10 doesn't have that experience. How does Soma know that Kuga hasn't been personally running a world famous Chinese restaurant since he was a toddler?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 27, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That was mostly hyperbole, but pretty much all of the Generic Students Who Failed This Week's Event seem to fall under the category. Tootsuki's pretty much been sold as a super snobby elite school too, so yeah.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

How does Soma know that Kuga hasn't been personally running a world famous Chinese restaurant since he was a toddler?
If that were the case, it probably would've been brought up already 'cause somebody would have to know (ie. "Dude, you're going up against Kuga-senpai! He runs three world famous Chinese restaurants!" or some poo poo like that.) However, I do agree with the rest of what you said.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

That was mostly hyperbole, but pretty much all of the Generic Students Who Failed This Week's Event seem to fall under the category. Tootsuki's pretty much been sold as a super snobby elite school too, so yeah.

Yeah, it's been sold as that but the reality doesn't seem to match up. A huge fraction of both past and upcoming Elite 10 don't seem to come from elite backgrounds, so at some point you'd expect them to stop thinking of it as some crazy exception. It's just a weird inconsistency in the story.

Also, fun fact: so far only girls have ever been shown to come from an elite background. Every single male chef with a known background has been working class. I guess when you're rich you stop passing down Y chromosomes.

Edit: Wait, I guess copycat guy was from a rich family, but he got disowned or something?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, I don't think it's so much that it's low-class vs high-class, althoguh there'S definitely a lot of that, as it's a question of respect. For all that Souma can eb an arrogant jerk, he's still a lot more respectful toward other people and their cooking skills than his opponents. He doesn't go "Pfft, you're just a loser who can't cook, go back to washing dishes". In fact, he quite often geeks out over food with his former enemies!

So the message is, even if you're a great cook, don't be a jerk about it and lord it over others. Enjoy it instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Soma is absolutely an arrogant jerk, and I don't really see the difference between him and most of his rivals. Which isn't really a problem because most of his rivals are shown to be good people too (Soma and Seafood Man react to their loss in the finals in pretty much the exact same way). Only Erina and her posse have really been jerks so far, and the posse has been bleeding off over time.

The message is that confidence is perfectly fine as long as you've earned it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Wow, Kuga is a grade-A rear end in a top hat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Clarste posted:

Soma is absolutely an arrogant jerk, and I don't really see the difference between him and most of his rivals. Which isn't really a problem because most of his rivals are shown to be good people too (Soma and Seafood Man react to their loss in the finals in pretty much the exact same way). Only Erina and her posse have really been jerks so far, and the posse has been bleeding off over time.

The message is that confidence is perfectly fine as long as you've earned it.

I dunno man. If someone opened a shop on Soma's doorstep, and the dude had not already antagonized him, he'd be pretty chill about it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno man. If someone opened a shop on Soma's doorstep, and the dude had not already antagonized him, he'd be pretty chill about it.

Soma did antagonize him. He said he was gonna challenge him to a Shokugeki and steal his title. The implication being that Soma thinks Kuga can't cook worth beans and doesn't deserve to be an Elite 10 (ie: "you are merely a stepping stone for my rise to power"). And then he sets up shop directly outside with the express intent of stealing customers away from him with Chinese food.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with Soma's arrogance, but it's pretty much exactly the same as all his rivals. They're all super-cocky people who look down on people they don't even know. It's not like Soma has even the slightest bit of respect for the effort it took for Kuga to become Elite 10.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't read the chapter yet, but while Soma is definitely arrogant and cocky he's still generally pretty nice. He's never condescending nor does he really mock his opponents. Sure he'll brag but he won't put others down, which is what Kuga has been doing this entire time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think all his "you missed the essence of the bento box, so you never had a chance" post-battle lectures are pretty condescending. I don't really see the difference between that and "you're terrible at judging fish, so you'll never beat me!" I mean, I guess there's sort of a difference between pointing it out before or after, but given his attitude of total invincibility beforehand, it's pretty clear that he was expecting them to screw something up.

And his "I'll never lose to people with less than 10 years of diner experience" is definitely condescending.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Souma's the Ultimate Sore Loser. He is absolutely a cocky little poo poo, and that's why he's the best.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Tried to make risotto after seeing the latest ep, looked good

Never had it or tried to cook it before.
It came out fairly ok. It's kind of a pain in the rear end. The rice absorbs more broth than you can imagine.

This show makes me really friggen hungry, in a way not unlike Yakitate.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So did you put apple juice in it?

I've been kind of curious as to whether these special recipes they make would be good or disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Tried to make risotto after seeing the latest ep, looked good

Never had it or tried to cook it before.
It came out fairly ok. It's kind of a pain in the rear end. The rice absorbs more broth than you can imagine.

This show makes me really friggen hungry, in a way not unlike Yakitate.

And when it's done and dished, if you didn't know any better, you'd think there was cream in it. Yup.