Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gonz posted:

The T-1000 in Genisys seemed like it was nerfed down a bit. A few bullets to the chest and face not only slowed it down, but when it stopped to heal, I felt like it took longer than Robert Patrick's T-1000.

Well of course, Robert Patrick-1000 was like 11 years more advanced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shima Honnou posted:

Well of course, Robert Patrick-1000 was like 11 years more advanced!

Well, poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Turns out that mimetic polyalloy is like wine and only gets better with age.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grendels Dad posted:

That's another thing I quite liked in T1. The amount of punishment the Terminators absorb in subsequent movies is ridiculous, in the first movie the fact that a simple shotgun could slow him down somehow just heightens the tension.

It's important to remember that the Terminators aren't even really that dangerous to the rebellion as soldiers in the first film. It's the bigger machines that can wipe out people by the boat-load. The T-800s are only dangerous because they can infiltrate and catch people unaware. And Arnold's only so unstoppable because they don't have any future weapons to use on him in the 80s.

Skynet basically sent a grunt back in time because it was all it had.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

It's important to remember that the Terminators aren't even really that dangerous to the rebellion as soldiers in the first film. It's the bigger machines that can wipe out people by the boat-load. The T-800s are only dangerous because they can infiltrate and catch people unaware. And Arnold's only so unstoppable because they don't have any future weapons to use on him in the 80s.

Skynet basically sent a grunt back in time because it was all it had.

I partly agree with this, except for that one flashback/dream Reese has. The terminator that manages to infiltrate that human base fucks things up something fierce, but I guess it's mostly because it has the element of surprise on its side. As a sidenote, it's pretty funny how almost every flashback Reese has ends with him seemingly dying.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Right, what we see of the Future War (except T4) are nightmares and not to be taken literally. It's like deciding that presentations in the 20th century were all made in the nude.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruby idiot railed posted:

It's like deciding that presentations in the 20th century were all made in the nude.

Wait...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I partly agree with this, except for that one flashback/dream Reese has. The terminator that manages to infiltrate that human base fucks things up something fierce, but I guess it's mostly because it has the element of surprise on its side. As a sidenote, it's pretty funny how almost every flashback Reese has ends with him seemingly dying.

Even still, the terminator got past the door security and didn't enter the base proper. We know that Reese survives it, but we don't know if it continued on it's massacre or someone put a RPG up it's rear end. However, the fact that it found the base means the outcome is worse, since now Skynet knows to direct resources to trap the humans there and smash it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Young Freud posted:

Even still, the terminator got past the door security and didn't enter the base proper. We know that Reese survives it, but we don't know if it continued on it's massacre or someone put a RPG up it's rear end. However, the fact that it found the base means the outcome is worse, since now Skynet knows to direct resources to trap the humans there and smash it.

And really, Skynet can churn those things out of a factory. All it takes is one infiltration unit to get inside a rebel bunker and kill a bunch of women/children and the humans' ability to live/procreate is majorly hampered. For SkyNet it would be an easy numbers game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Reese is very specific about how bad for the resistance Terminators, the T-800 specifically is. He says outright that they are "the worst" because they're able to infiltrate so well and blend in. The Hunter Killers (be the the aerial variety or the huge tanks) are lethal, but thanks to John Connor they developed strategies against them. In some of the T1 EU books/games the idea is that the resistance starts winning because John is able to comprehend the patterns with which Skynet sends the bigger hardware and robots out on patrols, so they're able to trick it more and more easily into sending forces one way while humans are transported or rescued from another. Then the robots are refined enough to make the Terminator and eventually the T-800 and that's a huge challenge, but overall they humans won.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Grendels Dad posted:

Well it kind of had the advantage from infiltrating past the front door then gunning down/scattering the spooked guards, the rest was mostly fish in a barrel since it was packing that bigass rapid fire plasma cannon to shoot down range cramped corridors.

Kind of the same deal with the police station assault; crashes through the front door in the middle of the night, kills the power and sweeps through room by room. With the combination of panic and access to only small arms the police were powerless, by the time they got access to the assault rifles it was too late.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Right, what we see of the Future War (except T4) are nightmares and not to be taken literally.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WarLocke posted:

And really, Skynet can churn those things out of a factory. All it takes is one infiltration unit to get inside a rebel bunker and kill a bunch of women/children and the humans' ability to live/procreate is majorly hampered. For SkyNet it would be an easy numbers game.

Not to mention all the food and water stores that are in each resistance bunker. All those cardboard boxes around Reese during that fight? Nabisco-contracted Civil Defense Survival Ration Crackers, which usually came with carbohydrate packets and potable water and chemical sanitation supplies. Even if the infiltration unit didn't kill all the people, no one's being able to haul all of that stuff out of there before Skynet calls in a Hunter-Killer strike.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

The imagery is sharp here, although not terribly subtlely used. To SkyNet, humanity is a threat to it's life, and Conner is Death. He has accepted this totally, and submitted his being to SkyNet's own vision of death in order to convey the idea that life and death define each other- without one, there isn't another.

Strip that down to its bones and expand it into a narrative instead of a lecture, and you could get an entire good Terminator movie out of that page.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Right, what we see of the Future War (except T4) are nightmares and not to be taken literally. It's like deciding that presentations in the 20th century were all made in the nude.

The purple lasers are still real to me, dammnit.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

The purple lasers are still real to me, dammnit.

They exists in movie alright, the Terminator even asks for one when gun shopping in the first. Waving away "Future War" as only a dream is hogwash. You could argue it might be a bit unreliable (Skulls everywhere) or incomplete(Conner didn't tell him much) since it is coming from a seriously traumatized but functional soldier whose existence is completely based around by not getting killed by robots and it's only one perspective.

It's another thing that Salvation goes and fucks up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

oohhboy posted:

They exists in movie alright, the Terminator even asks for one when gun shopping in the first. Waving away "Future War" as only a dream is hogwash. You could argue it might be a bit unreliable (Skulls everywhere) or incomplete(Conner didn't tell him much) since it is coming from a seriously traumatized but functional soldier whose existence is completely based around by not getting killed by robots and it's only one perspective.

It's another thing that Salvation goes and fucks up.

The alternate ending of T2 explains that it's a dream, and Genysis made that canon. Straight from James Cameron. Every single Terminator film is about prophetic hallucinations that don't match actual events.

Also, time travel's not real.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not in real life, sure.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The alternate ending of T2 explains that it's a dream, and Genysis made that canon. Straight from James Cameron. Every single Terminator film is about prophetic hallucinations that don't match actual events.

Nu-uh, I won't let you take all the fun out of science. Forward time travel is theoretically possible.

I miss your Architect avatar. I read all your posts in his voice. :unsmith:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 20, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You're doing it right now!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

oohhboy posted:

They exists in movie alright, the Terminator even asks for one when gun shopping in the first.

"Just what you see here, pal."

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Saw the movie on Friday night in IMAX 3d. Really enjoyed it.

Some thoughts:

• John Connor was excellent; he was good in the future war at the beginning and he was fantastic later in the film. Credit to both the writers and the actor.

• Critics claimed the plot was unnecessarily convoluted and confusing, but I had no problem following it, and neither did my girlfriend even though she had gone in spoiler-free. She enjoyed the alternate timeline stuff, and liked the timeloop where Kyle knew things due to Sarah and Kyle talking to his younger self. Sure, that's an alternate version of Kyle, but since our Kyle has been seeing the other one's memories the time loop makes sense. (Personally I was a bit "hmm", about that, though.) And while Arnold delivering technobabble sounds like a terrible idea, Kyle's responses made it simple enough to follow.

• We both agreed that Kyle Reece was nothing like Kyle Reece should have been (looks or personality) compared to how he was like in T1. And she found it hilarious that he was so tall and muscled ("Yep, foraging for food in a nuclear wasteland... I'm sure he's getting lots of protein!") But we both found the actor and character to be a good, likeable protagonist nonetheless.

• (It occurs to me that Kyle's different personality could be explained by him getting those alternate timeline memories? I don't think they were actually trying to suggest that, that's just a bit of fanwank to explain away the inconsistancy between the movies.)

• Was pleasantly surprised by Sarah Connor, she was fine. Unlike Kyle, it made sense that her personality would be different to her other appearences due to her living a different life ever since she was 9 years old. And she did actually look quite a bit like 1984 Linda Hamilton (but with different hair, and shorter.) My girlfriend noticed that the actress occasionally slipped back into her British accent, though I didn't.

• Enjoyed the humour. Many of the jokes got chuckles, from both us and the other cinema-goers. Didn't overwhelm the movie, and didn't fall into the trap of self-parody like Terminator 3.

• Special effects were great, trailers clearly must have used half-finished effects.

• I really dug the T-1000. (Again, it helped that the effects looked better than the trailers.) Was awesome when he started running backwards and morphed so that his back became his front! Was disappointed there wasn't another T-1000 in 2017.

• I thought the 3D was done well, it enhanced the action in many scenes throughout the film without being obtrusrisive and distracting. I'd say its worth paying an extra couple of pounds/dollars for 3D.

• (The exception was that the 3D spoilt a moment in the future war at the beginning. When the spider tank massacred a bunch of soldiers the spider looked fine but the soldiers were blurry and out of focus, while in a trailer they were crystal clear. I think that might have been because I was watching in IMAX 3D, so those soldiers were at the bottom edge of a gigantic screen, that might have spoilt the 3D effect or meant I couldn't focus on it properly or something. Might have been ok in a "normal" 3D screening. Or perhaps my eyes just hadn't properly adjusted yet? Rest of the movie looked flawless.)

• The film never uses the term T-3000 or T-5000 for the film's new enemies. I thought those names sounded silly when I heard people talk about it after the leaked film scripts, so I was glad they weren't actually in the film at all.

• It was dumb that they time travelled to just a couple of days before Genisys/Skynet is supposed to go active. (Though at the end of the movie the countdown was sped up so that the launch would happen several hours early, which I thought was a nice touch.) In Sarah Connor Chroncicles they travelled forward to a couple of years before Judgement Day, a much more sensible plan. Of course the explanation is that in the movie they wanted to have a countdown to disaster, while in the TV series they wanted there to be enough time for the show to last a few seasons. Can anyone come up with a fanwank explanation as to why they'd travel to just a couple of days before the Genisys launch?

• A solution would be if Kyle and Sarah had travelled to a couple of months before... and then when they got arrested they ended up getting locked up for a while. Or if the prototype time machine malfunctioned and they arrived a couple of months later than they intended... "Oh poo poo, we were supposed to have months to plan this, but now we only have a few days!"

• Something that was quite clever though was young Skynet's responses to the heroes invading and trying to blow it up. It considered them to be aggressors, it wondered why they were attacking it. It reminded me that in T2 Arnold explained that Skynet launched the war on humanity in response to scared people "trying to pull the plug". There was a subtext there that maybe the reason Genisys/Skynet turns against humanity is because of Kyle and Sarah attacking it!

• My girlfriend felt that the film didn't do a great job of explaining what Genisys was meant to do, how it was different to Cloud stuff that we already have. Thanks to this thread, though, after the film I was able to tell her that it was an app that was supposed to allow you to link all your devices regardless of brand (Microsoft/Apple/Android), and the way it works is that it is actually an artificial intelligence that hacks your devices and takes control of all of them.

• I noticed a great detail during the first fight between Arnie and John Connor in the hospital carpark... they grab each other and John looks genuinely surprised that he is strong enough to pull Arnie's arms apart. He hasn't actually had to fight anyone until now, so he isn't aware of his own capabilities. It makes sense that at the end of the film he's using abilities he doesn't seem to have in the earlier fights.

• I felt the final section of the film where Sarah and Kyle were running around Cyberdyne planting bombs and shooting holographic projectors was a bit weak compared to the awesome climaxes of T1 and T2... though the actual final Terminator fight was great.

• Some have said that if John can be destroyed by the magnetic field of Cyberdine's prototype time machine, he shouldn't have been able to travel back in time in the first place... but that's explained by Danny Dyson saying they can't figure out any of the quantum stuff, all they have gotten to work is the magnetic field. Presumably the magnetism would be neutralised within the time bubble of a working time machine. (Remember that Arnold is also effected by the MRI in the hospital, so magnetism is a problem for all Terminators.)

• The future war at the beginning looked fantastic, they really nailed it. Reminded me of the old PC DOS games Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet where Skynet bases were surrounded by red laser fences and energy turrets. And the new designs for the plasma guns looked great, both the Resistance versions and the Terminator versions, so I didn't even mind them not including the classic ones from T1 and T2. (And they shot pink/purple plasma bolts, with the right sound effects! Yes!)

• I was disappointed we only saw a couple of minutes of future war action!! People had been claiming "first 20 minutes of the film is all future war". I mocked someone who said that they wanted an entire future war movie, and said that surely the 20 minutes in Genisys shows more than enough. But in fact only a couple of minutes are battle scenes with purple plasma bolts and robots.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

your evil twin posted:

Saw the movie on Friday night in IMAX 3d. Really enjoyed it.

Some thoughts:

• It was dumb that they time travelled to just a couple of days before Genisys/Skynet is supposed to go active. (Though at the end of the movie the countdown was sped up so that the launch would happen several hours early, which I thought was a nice touch.) In Sarah Connor Chroncicles they travelled forward to a couple of years before Judgement Day, a much more sensible plan. Of course the explanation is that in the movie they wanted to have a countdown to disaster, while in the TV series they wanted there to be enough time for the show to last a few seasons. Can anyone come up with a fanwank explanation as to why they'd travel to just a couple of days before the Genisys launch?

IIRC that's because Kyle Reese told himself through his younger self that's when they go.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Reese being different than he was portrayed in T1 actually opens up a neat (if possibly fanwanky) possibility. They really played up the 'John Connor is a prophet' stuff in the future war segments, and it just felt really... easy, for lack of a better word, for Connor. With all the time loop fuckery going on, maybe everything's been 'smoothed down' - the loop is still there, the war still happens, but each time John gets a little better at it, makes things a little easier for the humans. So by the time of Genesis, things have been done so many times that John and crew are in a position to have access to plenty of food and not be strung-out starving fighters. The Reese in Genesis literally is not the Reese from T1.

One thing that struck me about the Connorbot was his confrontation/monologue in the bunker thing everyone was hiding against. He gives the "I will not stop, I cannot be reasoned with" terminator mantra, but it's a very strange thing to say as you're trying to either convert or kill someone. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it kind of felt like he didn't really "want" to kill them (even if he had to because of SkyNet programming) and this was an oblique way to tell them that? After all if he just wanted to kill them he had time in the hospital before the nanotech reveal.

Matt Smith was surprisingly good as SkyNet. I wasn't sure they could re-tread the Salvation 'give SkyNet a face' thing and have it work, but Smith pulled it off IMO. "You didn't think it would be this easy, did you?" Also ties into the smoothed-over loop idea from before, SkyNet is learning new stuff in each iteration, and this time finally gets the nanotech working early enough to cause a major timeline crisis by converting John.

Pops coming back as a T-1000 is kind of weird. Is he, like, a CPU chip floating around in a human-shaped mass of polyalloy? How would that even work?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WarLocke posted:

One thing that struck me about the Connorbot was his confrontation/monologue in the bunker thing everyone was hiding against. He gives the "I will not stop, I cannot be reasoned with" terminator mantra, but it's a very strange thing to say as you're trying to either convert or kill someone. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it kind of felt like he didn't really "want" to kill them (even if he had to because of SkyNet programming) and this was an oblique way to tell them that? After all if he just wanted to kill them he had time in the hospital before the nanotech reveal.

I agree, he's referencing what Kyle tells Sarah about the Terminator in T1 and will do everything in his power to make Skynet win, but he'd rather they join him than die too.

quote:

Pops coming back as a T-1000 is kind of weird. Is he, like, a CPU chip floating around in a human-shaped mass of polyalloy? How would that even work?

I think the idea is just that he's controlling bits of it to replace his broken parts, like the arm, instead of an entire new body.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Yeah Arnie lost his arm in the big final fight, and that's the arm you see has turned into a T-1000 style blade. I assume the liquid metal fixed/replaced all his damaged bits, but the rest of him is still him.

So if they do a sequel movie, you'd still have Arnie going around shooting guns etc, and he wouldn't be able to turn into a puddle or change to look like other people, but he'll have an arm that can transform.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Arnold-1000 imagery is a repeat of Terminator Salvation's ending, although closer to the original plot.

It's obviously referencing the end of Terminator 2, but with the roles reversed in a way that's far more successful than in Star Trek 2. Instead of melting both himself and the T-1000 to save John, Arnold merges with the T-1000 and kills John.

So, in other words, the imagery is of Arnold emerging from the pool as the new leader of the resistance. A Terminator has killed John Connor and taken his place - so I wouldn't be surprised if Arnold uses his shape-shifting powers to literally become Connor (for some reason) in the sequels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

your evil twin posted:

It was dumb that they time travelled to just a couple of days before Genisys/Skynet is supposed to go active. (Though at the end of the movie the countdown was sped up so that the launch would happen several hours early, which I thought was a nice touch.) In Sarah Connor Chroncicles they travelled forward to a couple of years before Judgement Day, a much more sensible plan. Of course the explanation is that in the movie they wanted to have a countdown to disaster, while in the TV series they wanted there to be enough time for the show to last a few seasons. Can anyone come up with a fanwank explanation as to why they'd travel to just a couple of days before the Genisys launch?
Other than the dream/vision thing mentioned I'm not sure there's anything in the movie reasoning why. But arguably any earlier attempts could be thwarted by time travel anyway so it's kinda moot. Well at least as long as you're viewing a timeline where Skynet exists in the future, and for the purposes of the Terminator movies this will presumably always be the case. (Or that continuous timeline loop thing where Skynet is always there after however many sequences/loops of events

quote:

My girlfriend felt that the film didn't do a great job of explaining what Genisys was meant to do, how it was different to Cloud stuff that we already have. Thanks to this thread, though, after the film I was able to tell her that it was an app that was supposed to allow you to link all your devices regardless of brand (Microsoft/Apple/Android), and the way it works is that it is actually an artificial intelligence that hacks your devices and takes control of all of them.
I think that was kind of the point, it's not that different from the cloud stuff now, and the humanized form of Genisys/Skynet is basically the ultimate version of our current simple assistants (i.e. Siri, Google Now, Cortana). It didn't need to do any hacking (at least at that point), people were willingly giving in to let the system handle stuff for them, which again is not that different from how things are nowadays.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I saw Jurassic World and Terminator Genisys recently and I can honestly say I thought Terminator was the better film and is getting unfairly panned for whatever reasons. It's a shame too, because the story was pretty compelling and had a general logic to it that made sense if you don't overthink it. One of my general pet peeves with modern action movies is the lack of care or tension in characters when they react to poo poo happening around them, especially when stakes are escalated. Jurassic World is especially guilty of this when literally no one seems to care whenever people get killed.

In Genisys, there was at least an attempt to put some weight behind the events happening. People freak out and react to things. Jai Courtney is a bit of a weak actor, but he at least tried. Unfortunately his biggest talent is scowling and looking annoyed.

I would honest like a sequel to this, though the movie's apparently bombing pretty badly. drat shame really.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

iamsosmrt posted:

I would honest like a sequel to this, though the movie's apparently bombing pretty badly. drat shame really.

Good news they're working on two!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RBA Starblade posted:

:negative:

I cannot self terminate. You must push the button.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Self Termination jokes are never not funny. I am happy with more movies because that means more Arnie.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

:negative:

I cannot self terminate. You must push the button.
More sequels mean more chances of seeing more purple lasers! Put all the future bits together and you might get the movie you want!

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

iamsosmrt posted:

Isn't this still going to be released in China?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

japtor posted:

More sequels mean more chances of seeing more purple lasers! Put all the future bits together and you might get the movie you want!

So long as any Reese, or Connor isn't on screen, I can do that!

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 21, 2015

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

They officially going ahead with it?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Immortan posted:

Isn't this still going to be released in China?

Nope. Sorry, bud, but if you want to watch Terminator Genyzyz you're going to have to wait until you're back in a real country.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

iamsosmrt posted:

Wikipedia says so, anyway. Schwarzenegger says he's in the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

iamsosmrt posted:

They have about five years until they lose the rights, they're going to make as much as they can regardless of quality until then.

• Locked thread