Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's more to psychology than doing moves imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I like how the only way to have great matches is to do a bunch of cool moves.

William Regal: lovely wrestler apparently.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jerry Lawler is one of my favorite guys ever and he basically had one "move" which was punching people repeatedly

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Jerry Lawler is one of my favorite guys ever and he basically had one "move" which was punching people repeatedly

and a dropkick!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ric Flair: lovely wrestler.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
At some point it appears I said heels do need moves or something? I just pointed out some guys who do lots of moves but get plenty of heat as heels as proof of the idea that you can be a heel and do moves and get over.

Also I think you'll find Flair goes to the top rope all the time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DynamiteKidd posted:

At some point it appears I said heels do need moves or something? I just pointed out some guys who do lots of moves but get plenty of heat as heels as proof of the idea that you can be a heel and do moves and get over.

Also I think you'll find Flair goes to the top rope all the time.

No, but you did say that not doing lots of cool moves = having lovely matches.

Also every time Flair went to the top rope it ended in him looking a buffoon. That's about as far from doing a cool move as possible.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Dean Malenko had like a thousand moves so he was a thousand times better than Hogan.

But Chris Jericho had like a thousand and four moves so he was a thousand and four times better than Hogan.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
The quote I was repeatedly referring to had Storm say "lol AJ does cool poo poo AND HAS GREAT MATCHES", which in my mind parses as two separate things (AJ does cool poo poo, he also has great matches)

Anyway, my point was: Would Lance rather AJ had bad matches? Would that really be so much better?

Also I mentioned Dragon Gate and moves as done by its roster -- I was talking about them in reference to HEELS DOING MOVES, I wasn't necessarily saying they have the best matches you could ever imagine because they do a lot of crazy moves, I was saying that some of them are heels despite having tons of crazy moves.

EDIT: yes thank you I was making a joke about Flair on the rope I appreciate you pointing that out to me, the maker of this joke.

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 19, 2015

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I mean I think the concept of being a heel and not doing crazy spots/moves to get the crowd to pop for you is fairly simple.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DynamiteKidd posted:

Anyway, my point was: Would Lance rather AJ had bad matches? Would that really be so much better?

Lance would rather AJ Styles be a babyface because all of the things that make him worthwhile are really cool. Those really cool things play a significant role in his having good matches. He tends to play babyface on the indies (and is very over) against local heels for that reason, because he does really cool moves that people like to see and cheer for.

It also doesn't help that at the time in TNA AJ Styles looked like the literal definition of babyface, as opposed to the angsty hair/scruffy beard combo he's been running lately.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 19, 2015

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I would like it if everyone could do moves that are sometimes cool and sometimes basic but maybe their mannerisms and the way they carry themselves in the ring and the story they tell determines their apparent alignment? That's my stupid opinion, thanks. Bye.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

I mean I think the concept of being a heel and not doing crazy spots/moves to get the crowd to pop for you is fairly simple.

And yet heels in every top indy promotion in the past 15+ years can do cool moves and still be over as heels despite it, so it's not some set in stone principle and it's retarded to act like it's even a base level thing at this point. Jack Evans was an obnoxious cockbag in Gen Next and did insane poo poo all the time and it didn't keep people from wanting to see him get his rear end beat

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MotU posted:

I would like it if everyone could do moves that are sometimes cool and sometimes basic but maybe their mannerisms and the way they carry themselves in the ring and the story they tell determines their apparent alignment? That's my stupid opinion, thanks. Bye.

This. I love when Kevin Owens refuses to do moves and takes his opponents on a trip to Chinlock City Bitch, but I love it because it's a fitting move for his character. Yes, it's objectively a heel tactic designed to get you to boo him, but I don't boo him because "Arg, I want cool moves," which is the traditional understanding off heel psychology. I boo him because his character is an rear end in a top hat and he makes me hate him, and excessive chinlocks are an extension of that persona and it's relationship to the audience just like rolling out of the ring constantly is. His corner cannonball is a "cool move," and it gets a ton of boos.

Compare Randy Orton. When he does the same sort of over-use of restholds as a heel, nobody enjoys it, it's go-away heat rather than proper heel work. I personally believe that's because that kind of thing doesn't fit Randy's "Viper," character. Moves where he goes from zero-to-60 in an instant, where he can spend a couple of seconds mocking the crowd, making faces, stalking his opponent in the background so the crowd can boo because they don't want to see him win before delivering a nasty shot, those are the moves that get him REAL heat when he's a heel, those are the extensions of his crazy ptsd snake man heel persona, not lazy rear end headlocks.

For a more historic example, look at Jake Roberts. The DDT was the most over move ever, the cheers it got were nuclear... unless Jake was a heel. Lance Storm might argue that's because the DDT is not a "cool move." Except if you see Jake do his spinny finger signal thing and watch 60,000 people lose their loving minds, you know that's not true. Jake's moves always matched his CHARACTER, and he changed the presentation of the character to match his alignment, whether it was bible verses or Trust Me, Trust Me. But at the end of the day he was still doing the DDT, and the reaction to it always matched what he was doing.

If someone is being a proper heel, they can do cool pop-creating moves all day and people will still despise them.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i dont know if the thing about all the stuff AJ does that makes him worthwhile being babyface stuff was from Lance Storm or the guy up there but it's not true at all. he's a great seller, bumps huge, isn't afraid to stooge and look foolish, is good at jawing with the crowd, etc.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I'm not convinced any of the guys people have claimed get over big as heels while doing cool moves actually are over all that much as heels btw. They might be over and also heels, which might result in fans booing them depending on how willing they are to play along, but it's a different thing. I'm also not sure that's necessarily connected to whether or not they do cool moves though. Or that there's even anything wrong with heels that get cheered, which guys like Lance Storm like to act like is a modern thing but look at fuckin Flair, Casas etc.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 19, 2015

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I don't care about who is heel or face! I just want to watch matches where both guys do every single move they know how to do and kick out of it at all at 2.9 so I can chant how awesome it all is.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Let's not forget that Lance Storm has universally stupid opinions and the most high profile student of his is loving Emma. So yes, wrestlers, listen to Lance Storm and one day you too can reach the dizzying heights of Emma

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Let's not forget that Lance Storm has universally stupid opinions and the most high profile student of his is loving Emma. So yes, wrestlers, listen to Lance Storm and one day you too can reach the dizzying heights of Emma

Counterpoint: He also trained the French Stallion

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

goc posted:

I don't care about who is heel or face! I just want to watch matches where both guys do every single move they know how to do and kick out of it at all at 2.9 so I can chant how awesome it all is.

also, I want them to elbow and kick and knee each other in the face as hard as they possibly can without legitimately killing the other wrestler.

Basically I want every match I watch to be a Roddy Strong and/or Chris Hero match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Given how many of his students get signed to WWE developmental deals yeah, people probably should listen to him and train with him because he's great at his job.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

super macho dude posted:

also, I want them to elbow and kick and knee each other in the face as hard as they possibly can without legitimately killing the other wrestler.

Basically I want every match I watch to be a Roddy Strong and/or Chris Hero match.

Yes and they should also do it in the very dramatic and ultra realistic fighting spirit style of

"Grrr I just elbowed you in the face, now you elbow me!"
"Ok I elbowed you back, now I will stand here so you can elbow me in return!"
Repeat 50 times

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Given how many of his students get signed to WWE developmental deals yeah, people probably should listen to him and train with him because he's great at his job.

Like Tyler Breeze, who's taken Lance's opinions to heart and is a heel who both does flashy moves and gets such consistent heel heat that a full 50% of any crowd is chanting "Tyler's gorgeous".

Wrestlers should absolutely go to his school, learn mechanics, milk his connections, and immediately forget anything he teaches about character, libraries, and vaccines

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

If every match doesn't have the spot where two wrasslers are trading stiff as gently caress elbows to the face, then one goes for a spinning elbow, the other ducks it and nails a crazy head kick WHICH THE OTHER ONE NO-SELLS and destroys him with a spinning lariat I get super pissed and refuse to chant "This is awesome" :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Like Tyler Breeze, who's taken Lance's opinions to heart and is a heel who both does flashy moves and gets such consistent heel heat that a full 50% of any crowd is chanting "Tyler's gorgeous".

Wrestlers should absolutely go to his school, learn mechanics, milk his connections, and immediately forget anything he teaches about character, libraries, and vaccines

And yet so many of his students come out with good characters and grasps of psychology because Lance Storm in fact knows his poo poo and it makes people mad. Either way this thread isn't supposed to be about this dumb stuff and it was discussed to death elsewhere.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

super macho dude posted:

If every match doesn't have the spot where two wrasslers are trading stiff as gently caress elbows to the face, then one goes for a spinning elbow, the other ducks it and nails a crazy head kick WHICH THE OTHER ONE NO-SELLS and destroys him with a spinning lariat I get super pissed and refuse to chant "This is awesome" :colbert:

Well you should refuse to chant, otherwise how are those scrubs gonna learn how to work?

Also having the crowd chant for you isn't really "heel heat" and kind of backs up Lance's point but it's loving Full Sail and I'm just waiting for them to come up with their version of the Bentley Bounce so they can complete their transformation into the NXT iMPACT Zone.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that @PSP_TXT is alive and well in this thread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRafTer posted:

Either way this thread isn't supposed to be about this dumb stuff

It is the Stupid Fan Opinions thread :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sanguinia posted:

This. I love when Kevin Owens refuses to do moves and takes his opponents on a trip to Chinlock City Bitch, but I love it because it's a fitting move for his character. Yes, it's objectively a heel tactic designed to get you to boo him, but I don't boo him because "Arg, I want cool moves," which is the traditional understanding off heel psychology. I boo him because his character is an rear end in a top hat and he makes me hate him, and excessive chinlocks are an extension of that persona and it's relationship to the audience just like rolling out of the ring constantly is. His corner cannonball is a "cool move," and it gets a ton of boos.

Compare Randy Orton. When he does the same sort of over-use of restholds as a heel, nobody enjoys it, it's go-away heat rather than proper heel work. I personally believe that's because that kind of thing doesn't fit Randy's "Viper," character. Moves where he goes from zero-to-60 in an instant, where he can spend a couple of seconds mocking the crowd, making faces, stalking his opponent in the background so the crowd can boo because they don't want to see him win before delivering a nasty shot, those are the moves that get him REAL heat when he's a heel, those are the extensions of his crazy ptsd snake man heel persona, not lazy rear end headlocks.

For a more historic example, look at Jake Roberts. The DDT was the most over move ever, the cheers it got were nuclear... unless Jake was a heel. Lance Storm might argue that's because the DDT is not a "cool move." Except if you see Jake do his spinny finger signal thing and watch 60,000 people lose their loving minds, you know that's not true. Jake's moves always matched his CHARACTER, and he changed the presentation of the character to match his alignment, whether it was bible verses or Trust Me, Trust Me. But at the end of the day he was still doing the DDT, and the reaction to it always matched what he was doing.

If someone is being a proper heel, they can do cool pop-creating moves all day and people will still despise them.

Johnny Mundo had a good discussion on Steve Austin's podcast this week about ring psychology, and he said one of the approaches he takes in terms of face/heel psychology is "The face gives the crowd what they want; the heel takes that away." I thought that was neat. It doesn't have to be avoiding entertaining stuff. Not doing your high-flying moves is certainly one way to not give the crowd what they want. But there are also other ways, it's not just moves and anyone who gets locked in that mindset is boiling it down to just one aspect of what you can do.

Interestingly enough, Austin and Mundo both agreed that they actually felt more free to experiment with moves as a heel, since if something sucked they weren't messing up at being the perfect hero.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

super macho dude posted:

this but add Ishii, MiSu, and Shibata and mix forever

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Jake the Snake is a good example of a heel using their flashy move well, to frustrate and anger the audience by suddenly bringing the match to an end. A lot of heel finishers are like that, just "no matter what, I can drop you immediately."

But moves which require more setup can work as well, though it's dependent on the face selling that they've been totally demolished and this is just the final blow. (Yokozuna's banzai drop, Rusev's accolade, etc.)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Aesop Poprock posted:

And yet heels in every top indy promotion in the past 15+ years can do cool moves and still be over as heels despite it, so it's not some set in stone principle and it's retarded to act like it's even a base level thing at this point. Jack Evans was an obnoxious cockbag in Gen Next and did insane poo poo all the time and it didn't keep people from wanting to see him get his rear end beat

Not really sure why the concept of not doing crazy cool moves to outshine your babyface opponent is such a struggle here.

I know Lance says a lot of really dumb poo poo, but I think you guys are reaching here.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Maybe the face should just get cooler moves then. The Arms Race worked for the Cold War, it can work for wrestling

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

All this talk reminding me of when TNA decided to put little heel AJ Styles vs. big monster babyface Abyss and it was such a stupid dynamic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MotU posted:

Maybe the face should just get cooler moves then. The Arms Race worked for the Cold War, it can work for wrestling

I thought faces should only have like a few signature moves and no other offense?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
TNA also did a feud between Abyss and Stevie Richards, where babyface Abyss looked like a giant dickhead bully in their PPV match because Stevie got zero offense on him and was being slaughtered. There's probably A Way to book a giant monster face against a much-smaller heel, but lol@doing it like that.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Jake the Snake is a good example of a heel using their flashy move well, to frustrate and anger the audience by suddenly bringing the match to an end. A lot of heel finishers are like that, just "no matter what, I can drop you immediately."
Or not using them, because the face finds a way to power out/get their knees up/hit some reversal.

Really there's nothing wrong with someone you're supposed to boo having a cool move so long as the reaction you get is begrudging respect. "I really don't want him to win, but that was pretty great, I have to admit." You can have a heel using impressive or flashy moves all day long so long as the desire of the audience for them to lose (or the face to win) is a stronger impression. Just have some big storyline or character point that makes them hateable.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

HulkaMatt posted:

All this talk reminding me of when TNA decided to put little heel AJ Styles vs. big monster babyface Abyss and it was such a stupid dynamic.

I take it you're looking forward to Kane/Rollins

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DynamiteKidd posted:

TNA also did a feud between Abyss and Stevie Richards, where babyface Abyss looked like a giant dickhead bully in their PPV match because Stevie got zero offense on him and was being slaughtered. There's probably A Way to book a giant monster face against a much-smaller heel, but lol@doing it like that.

Taker/HBK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Or Kane/X-Pac