Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol i once worked with a guy who sincerely argued that apple should have stayed with PowerPC

turned out the dude just had a massive grudge against intel. i bet he posts on slashdot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I still call it amd64 sometimes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bonfire Lit posted:

I'd like to know the method you used to pick comparable models form 2007 and 2015 because I can't for the life of me figure out how you reached that number

i didn't say "prices on comparable models," i said unit price. the average cost of a chip has risen 50%.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303417104579541791542046598

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

supposedly MS spends a billion a year on the APUs for the Xbox, and that's not far from AMDs market cap

but then Intel could still soak them for major money anyway so it probably doesn't make sense

amd gonna get eloped lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

microsoft buying amd would be amazingly entertaining

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

Lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Don Lapre posted:

Buying an amd based laptop pretty much guarantees chip set failure

I've had good luck with my $320 Asus A8. It runs ice cool. I was blown away by the performance at that price point 3 years ago.

I can't tell a difference between it and my i5 desktop other than when I'm spergishly analyzing word usage in Project Gutenberg.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Are instruction sets covered by copyright, patents, or both?

Edit: I'm just wondering at what point in time does the x86 licensing agreement become irrelevant because its all in the public domain?

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 19, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Further thinking along this line led me to find that windows 10 requires a 1ghz cpu with PAE, NX, and SSE2.

Edit: SSE2 was implemented in 2001. PAE goes back to 1995. NX was an AMD addition. In a few more years it might be conceivable to make an x86 CPU that can run windows 10 while giving Intel the middle finger. Or maybe make an amd64 cpu with only licenses from AMD?

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 19, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Further thinking along this line led me to find that windows 10 requires a 1ghz cpu with PAE, NX, and SSE2.

yeah i've run windows 10 32 bit on this thinkpad x41, which has a 1.5 ghz pentium m, 1.5 gigabytes of ram, and intel 915gm integrated graphics

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah i've run windows 10 32 bit on this thinkpad x41, which has a 1.5 ghz pentium m, 1.5 gigabytes of ram, and intel 915gm integrated graphics

Some one much smarter is going to come along and tell me why I'm wrong. Could MS be holding the system specs down for reasons other than getting people off XP? Having an OS that runs on a chip that any of the major chip manufacturers can produce would be pretty huge for MS.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Some one much smarter is going to come along and tell me why I'm wrong. Could MS be holding the system specs down for reasons other than getting people off XP? Having an OS that runs on a chip that any of the major chip manufacturers can produce would be pretty huge for MS.

Windows 8 did objectively improve performance whether or not you liked how it looked (at least until 8.1 mostly fixed things). It's not a particularly flashy looking OS these days either, at least compared to the by-default frosted glass Vistaland that OS X is, so I'm not surprised that the system requirements are still relatively low

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I just upgraded 8.1 to windows 10 and its activated

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

this laptop runs windows 7 just fine (albeit no aero glass support) so its not really a surprise that 10 does as well

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

microsoft buying amd would be amazingly entertaining

nokia 2.0: electric boogaloo

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's not that I'm surprised. Its that the required extensions are so limited. From what I've read instruction sets are covered by patents over the implementation details. Most of the patents I can find for the P4 were filed in 1999. In 4 years it should be possible for any chip designer to design an x86 clone that meets the minimum requirements for windows 10. That would be a really, really big deal for Microsoft, wouldn't it?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

I still call it amd64 sometimes

em64t

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the patents are on microarchitectural improvements, not anything about the isa itself

you could make a 100% compliant x86 clone with every bell and whistle right now, today, patent-free. intel doesn't have a patent on sse3 instructions

it would just be dogshit slow, because intel and amd and ibm and so on have patents on all of the known methods of making your chip perform worth a drat. if you think you can out-research intel and company, good luck

cyrix and amd thought they could, they were wrong

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i didn't say "prices on comparable models," i said unit price. the average cost of a chip has risen 50%.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303417104579541791542046598
that's only xeons, consumer chips have dropped in price

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
just want to say again that my leanvo is gr8, w\ an AMD processor, but also gets super hot, like when i put it on my giant superfat bare stomach u can sell the bacon

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
im gay...... but in a fat way

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the patents are on microarchitectural improvements, not anything about the isa itself

you could make a 100% compliant x86 clone with every bell and whistle right now, today, patent-free. intel doesn't have a patent on sse3 instructions

it would just be dogshit slow, because intel and amd and ibm and so on have patents on all of the known methods of making your chip perform worth a drat. if you think you can out-research intel and company, good luck

cyrix and amd thought they could, they were wrong

If AMD can design an x86 CPU that is good enough, runs windows, and doesn't depend on the licensing agreement - suddenly they are in a position to be much more like ARM and a whole lot less like a dying chip manufacturer locked into a market controlled by a monopoly.

Edit: have you ever used an arm chromebook? They are good enough for the mass market...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

If AMD can design an x86 CPU that is good enough, runs windows, and doesn't depend on the licensing agreement - suddenly they are in a position to be much more like ARM and a whole lot less like a dying chip manufacturer locked into a market controlled by a monopoly.

even with the benefit of shitloads of cross-licensed patents, amd can't make a chip that's good enough.

dead on arrival

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh yeah speak of the devil: AMD's ARM processor effort is now a full year behind. the first releases to customers will be no earlier than 2H '15.

what do you want to bet AMD found a way to make an ARM chip suck 100 watts and deliver 50% yields?

edit: their new, unreleased ARM chip is gonna be on a 28 nm process. meanwhile, intel is gonna be delivering chips at 14 nm and <10 watts

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 19, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even with the benefit of shitloads of cross-licensed patents, amd can't make a chip that's good enough.

dead on arrival

It depends on what is good enough. People weren't unhappy with windows RT because it ran slow - they were unhappy because when they bought it they didn't understand it wouldn't run x86 applications. The branding confused the heck out of people. It might be a moot point now that bay trail is actually good enough to be branded Celeron. I still say MS would be pretty happy if they could get an x86 win 10 compatible SoC with arm levels of performance for roughly the same price as an arm soc. From what I've seen, bay trail is relativley expensive compared to arm.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Edit: have you ever used an arm chromebook? They are good enough for the mass market...

lol no they aren't.

they're good enough for nerds and random family members of nerds who are forced into it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

lol no they aren't.

they're good enough for nerds and random family members of nerds who are forced into it.

Probably in comparison to the c7 line, which intel still sells real celerons to acer well below normal cost. Which is just intel being intel.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't the main reason there's no major competitors to intel have more to do with the fact opening a brand new semiconductor fabricator plant in 2015 going to cost a ridiculously massive amount of money

and the asian fabricators aren't about to sell out when they manufacture so much of the world's semiconductors already

when the housing market crash happened, intel took advantage of the cheap property to build/buy something like 10 more in the states. i don't think amd or via did. lol.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Larry Parrish posted:

forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't the main reason there's no major competitors to intel have more to do with the fact opening a brand new semiconductor fabricator plant in 2015 going to cost a ridiculously massive amount of money

and the asian fabricators aren't about to sell out when they manufacture so much of the world's semiconductors already

when the housing market crash happened, intel took advantage of the cheap property to build/buy something like 10 more in the states. i don't think amd or via did. lol.

You can buy production runs on those Asian fabs, and most of them participate in R&D sharing programs. I thought zen was going to be produced on samsung's 14nm process, but sometimes I just make poo poo up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You can buy production runs on those Asian fabs, and most of them participate in R&D sharing programs. I thought zen was going to be produced on samsung's 14nm process, but sometimes I just make poo poo up.

Yeah they can rent other people's fabricators, but I don't know if you can compete with Intel that way, at least volume-wise.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean and that's on top of having to design chipsets to compete with Intel that are better or at least cheaper for similar performance or something. Which is a lengthy and expensive process, not to mention I have a feeling most of the talented designers and validation guys are already at Intel, so you gotta compete with their wages and benefits, which isn't exactly easy either.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
*steps in giant pile of serious posts*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've been fighting the urge to carepost in this thread all day

lol amd

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
u amd bro

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

SYSV Fanfic posted:

what about MMX :ohdear:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jony ive aces posted:

what about MMX :ohdear:

Bad news about mmx yosbro :(.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

AMD just needs to release a newer version of 3DNow!, problem solved

Valeyard