Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly it sounds like Fields of Arle would be something she would dig. I haven't played it yet but have my eye on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Prairie Bus posted:

That's pretty a pretty hyperbolic misunderstanding. There's no clarification on how specific the category can get - we didn't "ignore" any rule. Knowing that the QM works with the fake artist, we agreed to not use hyper-specific categories. If I'm understanding what you're saying, if your word is something like Statute of Liberty, you'd say "New York Monument" rather than "Monument?" At the time we felt like that'd deflate the game, and I still think it would. But I've only played it once, with five people, and it sounds like other people have had more success.

I apologize if I was a bit snarky with my initial comment, but 'Monument' is definitely what should be said instead of 'New York Monument.' This brings up another problem though: Everything I can think of that an artist might draw relating to the Statue of Liberty makes it easy to guess. People might get cute and draw a French flag or an apple, but that makes it all the more amusing when not everybody 'gets it' and accusations get thrown all around. For sure, if language, general knowledge or culture is a barrier, that might bring up situations where fake artists won't win. That's just life.

You could also just play for fun. The group I play with actually never keeps score. Each picture is a tidbit of fun and laughs before the bigger games get brought out.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Honestly it sounds like Fields of Arle would be something she would dig. I haven't played it yet but have my eye on it.

I watched a video run through of it and my eyes kind of glazed over at the huge number of actions available right from the start.. One of the things we like about Le Havre is that it starts off pretty restrained and builds up as you go along.

I will have to give it a play some time though.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I know people earlier were saying that MayDay are corporate scum but someone brought their new copy of Viceroy that I got to play last night. The playmat looked pretty ugly, and the explanation wasn't the best (I didn't understand that I was building a pyramid until we had started playing) but I think I liked it. I can see it being a solid short-length game. Though I can also see it having a dominant strategy or two emerging and not being that balanced. It's hard to tell. I'll give it another go at least.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Welp, I done it. Heeerrreee we gooooo.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Welp, I done it. Heeerrreee we gooooo.

You're crazy. Bookmarked.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Played Argent: The Consortium and Euphoria today.

Argent is very intriguing, albeit with a very front-loaded learning curve. There are an almost absurd number of moving parts to the game. It flows well once you grok what's going on, but figuring out how each of the different components functions takes a while (and I don't mean in terms of strategy, I mean in terms of basic rules functions). This richness has benefits though: Argent feels extremely thematic. Both the mechanics and components are quite evocative. Argent also feels like it'll have a ton of variation from game to game due to how much impact the different board layouts (and different starting powers, and different consortium voters) will have on strategy. Those are enormously important selling points to me - I've preferred Lords of Waterdeep over other worker placement games because of how dry and repetitive the other options feel, but Argent blows Lords of Waterdeep completely out of the water when it comes to actual gameplay (albeit at the cost of having a ton of different moving parts to the rules). Not to mention that I absolutely love the voter system for scoring. It really lends itself to doublethink and guesswork rather than pure math. Combine all that together and Argent: The Consortium has become my favorite worker placement game.

Euphoria is very different, and I can't help comparing it to Argent. It has theme written into the mechanics, to be sure, yet it feels more distant. Part of the reason is probably the mathematical commonality between three of the four factions - this, more than any other element in Euphoria, feels like a mathematical model with theme draped over it. I'm also not at all a fan of the impact that dice luck can have, though it's not a deal-breaker. The deal-breaker is the lack of modularity. I've played a couple games of Euphoria now, and they've felt extremely similar - the different buildable markets just don't seem that impactful compared to Argent's ridiculously modular setup or even Lords of Waterdeep's building variety. The most interesting part of Euphoria, to me, is the hidden agent mechanic, and I wish there was more to it. You'll have one or two, very rarely three, special abilities in Euphoria, which pales compared to the cornucopia of variety that Argent's spell and item and supporter decks throw at you. I wish that there was more to Euphoria - however, compared to Argent, Euphora takes a fraction of the time to learn and start playing! It's a trade-off - and for what it is, Euphoria is decent. It's just that highly-modular worker placement games are in a class of their own to me, above and beyond less modular designs. Euphoria is a pretty good worker placement game, possibly the best non-modular design that I've played, but it just doesn't cross that threshhold. Euphoria has already begun to feel static, while Argent will likely surprise and intrigue me for many, many sessions to come.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 19, 2015

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I apologize if I was a bit snarky with my initial comment, but 'Monument' is definitely what should be said instead of 'New York Monument.' This brings up another problem though: Everything I can think of that an artist might draw relating to the Statue of Liberty makes it easy to guess. People might get cute and draw a French flag or an apple, but that makes it all the more amusing when not everybody 'gets it' and accusations get thrown all around. For sure, if language, general knowledge or culture is a barrier, that might bring up situations where fake artists won't win. That's just life.

You could also just play for fun. The group I play with actually never keeps score. Each picture is a tidbit of fun and laughs before the bigger games get brought out.
Oh yeah , I don't hate the game, and it is a ton of fun. I'll always keep the picture of a car that looks more like a cubist ladder.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Late to the party, but finally played Viticulture today. It's easy to see why it's garnering so much praise. It's not an amazing game in terms of brilliant design, but it is nicely made, mechanically smooth and plays quite quickly. There is a non-trivial amount of randomness in the four (!) decks of things to draw, but the game is lightweight enough to make deck screwage seem less offensive. This easily needs to be the game people recommend when people ask for introductory worker placement games, not godawful Lords of Waterdeep.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

The End posted:

Late to the party, but finally played Viticulture today. It's easy to see why it's garnering so much praise. It's not an amazing game in terms of brilliant design, but it is nicely made, mechanically smooth and plays quite quickly. There is a non-trivial amount of randomness in the four (!) decks of things to draw, but the game is lightweight enough to make deck screwage seem less offensive. This easily needs to be the game people recommend when people ask for introductory worker placement games, not godawful Lords of Waterdeep.

What makes you think LoW is godawful?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Maybe godawful is overselling it. Aggressively mediocre maybe? So relentlessly vanilla that I'd rather play just about anything else?

Theme is painted on. Mechanisms are exceedingly dull - collect cubes until you can fulfil a near-randomly drawn order. Mechanisms stay mindbogglingly simple the whole way through - there's little opportunity to build any kind of engine, Turn order can basically gently caress you out of the game if you have the wrong Lord. Gotcha cards are overpowered and basically a critical determinant in who wins. It's a tedious, bland game that takes far too long.

Funnily enough, Viticulture is half the length, has a basic engine building element (without adding complexity) and is much better for it.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bubble-T posted:

Recommendation request for my wife:

She generally doesn't care about theme that much but lately we've found she enjoys the whole building a home + raising sheep thing. Unfortunately I don't like Rosenberg games that much outside of Le Havre, and Glen More isn't great for 2 players. I think she likes spatial play, light interaction and engine building.

Her favourite games are Race for the Galaxy, Dungeon Lords, Carcassonne, Boggle, Puzzle Strike, Ghost Stories. Keyflower is fine at 4+ but too cutthroat at 2. She really disliked Robinson Crusoe, Chaos in the Old World, Pax Porfiriana.

We've played Ora et Labora, Caverna + Agricola lately. I think she likes Agricola the most but doesn't like that you rarely get to use many of your 'engine' cards and the game doesn't let you build something that feels like a completed farm. In her words she wants it to be 'longer' but I don't think that means strictly a 3+ hour game, more that you get to actually play out your options. The biggest strike against Caverna/Ora is that they have too many options right from the start.

Ideas?

Well, it really sounds like you hit on all the things that Fields of Arle is suppose to be. I have just got my copy in and I am most of the way through my first solo play of it. Loving it so far.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

That's pretty a pretty hyperbolic misunderstanding. There's no clarification on how specific the category can get - we didn't "ignore" any rule. Knowing that the QM works with the fake artist, we agreed to not use hyper-specific categories. If I'm understanding what you're saying, if your word is something like Statute of Liberty, you'd say "New York Monument" rather than "Monument?" At the time we felt like that'd deflate the game, and I still think it would. But I've only played it once, with five people, and it sounds like other people have had more success.

The point was just that you have the spy's teammate working against her, and you're wondering why the spy has such a hard time. Obscuring the words is the job of the artists, not the QM.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The End posted:

Maybe godawful is overselling it. Aggressively mediocre maybe? So relentlessly vanilla that I'd rather play just about anything else?

Theme is painted on. Mechanisms are exceedingly dull - collect cubes until you can fulfil a near-randomly drawn order. Mechanisms stay mindbogglingly simple the whole way through - there's little opportunity to build any kind of engine, Turn order can basically gently caress you out of the game if you have the wrong Lord. Gotcha cards are overpowered and basically a critical determinant in who wins. It's a tedious, bland game that takes far too long.

Funnily enough, Viticulture is half the length, has a basic engine building element (without adding complexity) and is much better for it.

I actually got stuck playing Lords of Waterdeep last weekend after managing to avoid it after all this time, and that pretty much summed up my opinion on it. I ended up winning the game simply because I had amassed a horde of gold that I didn't need to spend on quests, which isn't a very exciting way to win.

Viticulture, on the other hand, is on my to-buy list (maybe I'll treat myself next month when I finish my job training). I totally agree that it should be on the curriculum for introduction to complex games.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm hanging with friends tonight, and I fear we may wind up playing munchkin. Someone just bought it and is intent on playing it. I'll be bringing some actual good games and will trying my best to ensure we play as little munchkin as possible, but it'll probably happen at least once. Any suggestions for rule changes to make it less terrible?

See my avatar for advice.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Every copy of Lords of Waterdeep should be recycled to make more copies of Forge War.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Recommendation request for my wife:

She generally doesn't care about theme that much but lately we've found she enjoys the whole building a home + raising sheep thing. Unfortunately I don't like Rosenberg games that much outside of Le Havre, and Glen More isn't great for 2 players. I think she likes spatial play, light interaction and engine building.

Her favourite games are Race for the Galaxy, Dungeon Lords, Carcassonne, Boggle, Puzzle Strike, Ghost Stories. Keyflower is fine at 4+ but too cutthroat at 2. She really disliked Robinson Crusoe, Chaos in the Old World, Pax Porfiriana.

We've played Ora et Labora, Caverna + Agricola lately. I think she likes Agricola the most but doesn't like that you rarely get to use many of your 'engine' cards and the game doesn't let you build something that feels like a completed farm. In her words she wants it to be 'longer' but I don't think that means strictly a 3+ hour game, more that you get to actually play out your options. The biggest strike against Caverna/Ora is that they have too many options right from the start.

Ideas?

My immediate thought is Castles of Burgundy. Has a bit of a spatial element to it and you're building your kingdom in a sense but you're really looking to make awesome combos.

Other than that what about Dungeom Petz? Not sure if you already have it or not. Some other games my wife and I enjoy are Targi, Concordia(Britannia map is much better for 2 than the stock map), Troyes and Bruxelles 1893.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

The point was just that you have the spy's teammate working against her, and you're wondering why the spy has such a hard time. Obscuring the words is the job of the artists, not the QM.

So when you play, you do use very specific categories?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The End posted:

Theme is painted on. Mechanisms are exceedingly dull - collect cubes until you can fulfil a near-randomly drawn order.

Lord of Waterdeep felt so hollow for theme to me that I play by going "... and I take three galactic credits and two football players" or uranium and miners, or space marines, or mutants, or angels, etc.. whatever comes to mind because on one hand it's kind of fun(ny) [to me] and on the other it literally does not matter :haw:

I started as a quick joke and just sort of kept doing it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'd call LoW godawful in a heartbeat. Talk about a soulless Euro. Also I wish I could get into Viticulture, bought it twice, played it twice, was bored by it twice. Maybe one day I'll play it with some real fans of the game and see if they can show me the good parts that I'm clearly missing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Has anyone played the Temple of Elemental Evil board game? We found it quite hard, and this is after getting pretty good at Wrath of Ashardalon and Legend of Drizzt.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EBag posted:

My immediate thought is Castles of Burgundy. Has a bit of a spatial element to it and you're building your kingdom in a sense but you're really looking to make awesome combos.

Other than that what about Dungeom Petz? Not sure if you already have it or not. Some other games my wife and I enjoy are Targi, Concordia(Britannia map is much better for 2 than the stock map), Troyes and Bruxelles 1893.

CoB doesn't seem to fit the bill at all - it's almost exclusively about instant effects, and other than some of the knowledge tiles there's very little engine-buildy about it.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Mage Knight Q

Taking the game to play with two people who very excited about it but never played before. They want to akip the tutorial game.

What's the best starting 3 player set up that isn't first reconnaissance? They are very familiar with board games and deck builders.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Fat Turkey posted:

Mage Knight Q

Taking the game to play with two people who very excited about it but never played before. They want to akip the tutorial game.

What's the best starting 3 player set up that isn't first reconnaissance? They are very familiar with board games and deck builders.

don't skip the tutorial

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Seriously, don't skip the tutorial. Mage Knight is a phenomenally complex game and it will confuse the piss out of even experienced gamers. There's a tutorial for a reason.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fat Turkey posted:

Mage Knight Q

probably Blitz co-op or Blitz conquest then. The time I skipped the tutorial with an experienced boardgamer resulted in a friend who I'm sure should love the game absolutely hating it and unwilling to try it again, though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Remember a while back when I complained about Argentinian prices for board games?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-569913574-star-wars-imperial-assault-en-espanol-_JM

Yes, that's indeed $500 and change for Imperial Assault. Only copy on sale in the country I could find after a day of googling.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody have things to say about Baseball Highlights 2045? It looks surprisingly ... Decent?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ Also super interested.

Lorini posted:

Also I wish I could get into Viticulture, bought it twice, played it twice, was bored by it twice. Maybe one day I'll play it with some real fans of the game and see if they can show me the good parts that I'm clearly missing.

I'd say Viticulture is a bit basic for you. I am a big fan, but part of that is the fact that I can actually get my friends to play it. The Tuscany exp (not sure if you tried any modules) could make it into more something up your alley (advanced board, mamas/papas, updated visitors, etc) but that's a large investment to try something you didn't love to begin with.

So, while I am a big fan, I wouldn't worry that you're missing anything huge. Great beginner WP with an expansion that'll let you grow into a bit more complexity and variability.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Azran posted:

Remember a while back when I complained about Argentinian prices for board games?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-569913574-star-wars-imperial-assault-en-espanol-_JM

Yes, that's indeed $500 and change for Imperial Assault. Only copy on sale in the country I could find after a day of googling.

Jeeze for that price you could almost have it shipped from the US and have a monk hand illuminate the translation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Turkey posted:

Mage Knight Q

Full conquest is exactly the same as the tutorial with two less cities. Keep the suggested order of the countryside tiles, lower the level of the cities to make taking them easier and go nuts.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'd say Viticulture is a bit basic for you. I am a big fan, but part of that is the fact that I can actually get my friends to play it. The Tuscany exp (not sure if you tried any modules) could make it into more something up your alley (advanced board, mamas/papas, updated visitors, etc) but that's a large investment to try something you didn't love to begin with.

So, while I am a big fan, I wouldn't worry that you're missing anything huge. Great beginner WP with an expansion that'll let you grow into a bit more complexity and variability.

Yeah, it's very introductory level without the expansion. What does make it interesting for me is that a. it's very short. With 3 players it's a 45 minute game that actually has some meat on its bones. b. with Tuscany, there's plenty of ways to ratchet up the complexity and make it a much heavier game.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Seriously, don't skip the tutorial. Mage Knight is a phenomenally complex game and it will confuse the piss out of even experienced gamers. There's a tutorial for a reason.

Yeah. It's also a good tutorial. You get to build a hero and explore all the elements of the game in a fairly unrushed manner. The full game requires a lot of foreknowledge about what's out there and will go to a crawl when you try to explain how a city assault works.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

Anybody have things to say about Baseball Highlights 2045? It looks surprisingly ... Decent?

It's pretty good! Wife loves it. It's more tactical and focused on hand management than long-term deck consistency, compared to games like Dominion. Reminds me a little bit of more traditional card games like trick-takers; more interaction than many deck builders but slightly less "every card breaks the rules somehow" than the games closer to Magic. A lot of back and forth and predicting your opponents hand to determine the order of defensive and offensive cards you'll play to close out the game. Occasionally you might need to to take a chance with a top deck and you can stash away a bomb for tight situations to play as a pinch hitter.

Mike Fitzgerald has worked on the Pokemon card games, Diamonds, the Mystery Rummy series, and some other stuff I don't recall. He's on the Ludology podcast now and sounds kind of like a classic radio baseball announcer or something :allears:

The deluxe edition has gone on sale a couple times and I would probably get that in order to have some more variety, but I guess you can get the expansions after the fact at Eagle's store. Expensive, since it's EGG.

In the end, my gut feeling is that if you like traditional card games a lot you will probably like this, but if something like Tichu or Bottle Imp leaves you cold, I don't know if this will be a hit but it's still pretty good at capturing the baseball theme and worth a look.

Edit: oh yeah, I freaking love the "futuristic baseball as imagined by the past" theme. EGG gets poo poo on a lot, but I'm pretty impressed that they have published a game about future robot baseball, dress making, a commercial fishing card game, a game about managing art galleries, etc. Maybe it's just a case of other publishers not wanting to gamble on more esoteric themes and so designers are left with EGG, as opposed to them promoting exotic themes, but whatever, it's cool.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 19, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Yeah. It's also a good tutorial. You get to build a hero and explore all the elements of the game in a fairly unrushed manner. The full game requires a lot of foreknowledge about what's out there and will go to a crawl when you try to explain how a city assault works.

Here's the thing though - the tutorial cuts off right when newbies need it the most. You can teach people to play countryside tiles all you like, but it won't help the feeling of dread at seeing core tiles, or how to handle the threats on them, or how to even begin taking cities. I'll generally just throw people into Fat Samurai's idea nowadays and give them advice on picks as we go.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

EBag posted:

I actually picked up Dungeon Petz yesterday because it was reduced at the local store, I think she'll like it. I bought Concordia too but it's probably a bit too dry and not engine buildy enough for her. We do own and enjoy CoB but it's got a bit of the same issue.

I need to try Troyes and Bruxelles some time, along with Fields of Arle since everyone says that's what I want.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Azran posted:

Have you tried buying off amazon or eBay and having the game shipped?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ropes4u posted:

Have you tried buying off amazon or eBay and having the game shipped?

I tried to buy High Command that way in Janauray. I posted about it in the thread, but basically it went this way:

1) Shipping was as much as all the poo poo I was buying. (Like $100) But whatever, it was a birthday self-present.

2) They shipped the stuff to my country, got here in five days.

3) Customs delayed it for A MONTH, arguing I need to register myself as a professional importer or an imports business to get the package. Registering myself as either kicks me up a couple notches on the tax hierarchy, forcing me to pay extra taxes for owning a business I don't actually own.

4) When I checked with Customs, there wasn't anything particularly special about this - it's just the default system they've got in place when it comes to imports. I told Amazon, they said the package would be written off as lost in shipment, gave me back my money, gave me a discount code and told me I could send them an email if I ever wanted to do that exact same purchase again. And you might need to pay them again a % of your total purchase just to "clear odds and ends".

Supposedly this is going to change come December since the current administration is going out and it seems the neo-liberal candidate has the biggest chance of winning, but still - incredibly lovely situation, to the point where print and play has become my only option.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Azran posted:

I tried to buy High Command that way in Janauray. I posted about it in the thread, but basically it went this way:

1) Shipping was as much as all the poo poo I was buying. (Like $100) But whatever, it was a birthday self-present.

2) They shipped the stuff to my country, got here in five days.

3) Customs delayed it for A MONTH, arguing I need to register myself as a professional importer or an imports business to get the package. Registering myself as either kicks me up a couple notches on the tax hierarchy, forcing me to pay extra taxes for owning a business I don't actually own.

4) When I checked with Customs, there wasn't anything particularly special about this - it's just the default system they've got in place when it comes to imports. I told Amazon, they said the package would be written off as lost in shipment, gave me back my money, gave me a discount code and told me I could send them an email if I ever wanted to do that exact same purchase again. And you might need to pay them again a % of your total purchase just to "clear odds and ends".

Supposedly this is going to change come December since the current administration is going out and it seems the neo-liberal candidate has the biggest chance of winning, but still - incredibly lovely situation, to the point where print and play has become my only option.

How about a goon sending them to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Can you travel across a border and get a big haul of games? I don't suppose you are near Brazil? There seems to be some brazilians on bgg that order games from thebookdepository marked as gifts https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71514/buying-board-games-bookdepositorycom/page/2?titlesonly=1

http://m.bookdepository.com/Star-Wars-Imperial-Assault-Board-Game-Base-Set/9781616619909

Might be able to just ship this to Argentina?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 20, 2015