Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Nope, I did part of Get Junior and then did some secondary quests and witcher contracts before going on and continuing Get Junior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else getting like "skipping" when using a DS4's D-pad?

I go to select options and it just jumps around unless I use the stick, which works fine.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mustang posted:

Nope, I did part of Get Junior and then did some secondary quests and witcher contracts before going on and continuing Get Junior.

At this point I'd try to bomb glitch Roche. Hopefully it doesn't incite his men.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone else getting like "skipping" when using a DS4's D-pad?

I go to select options and it just jumps around unless I use the stick, which works fine.

I was getting that. I found that the game naturally supports the DS4 now, so enabling some kind of wrapper outside the game, like the Dual Shock 4 Driver app I was using, actually duplicates the input the game sees. If you press a d-pad direction, the game registers it naturally and it also sees the input from the Dual Shock app, so it registers two button presses overall per single actual button press.

Disabling the Dual Shock 4 app solved the problem for me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so I am going to start a new game now that the patch is out. When I started my first game I imported a Witcher 2 save, but it didnt actually import it. This time I would like to force the game to ask me questions when I get to Vizima so I can decide who is alive and whatnot. When I am on this screen, I want to select "off", correct?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

Alright so I am going to start a new game now that the patch is out. When I started my first game I imported a Witcher 2 save, but it didnt actually import it. This time I would like to force the game to ask me questions when I get to Vizima so I can decide who is alive and whatnot. When I am on this screen, I want to select "off", correct?

No, other way around. You either import a save or simulate one, so you want to choose ON.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

No, other way around. You either import a save or simulate one, so you want to choose ON.

Why they didn't make it "Yes/No" I'll never understand.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

So by choosing ON, I will be interrogated by Vorhiis or whomever while I am getting a shave?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why they didn't make it "Yes/No" I'll never understand.
Agree 100%. I was super annoyed when my import didnt do anything/didnt work so now I want to make sure that Letho is alive and it really is not clear at all...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I was getting that. I found that the game naturally supports the DS4 now, so enabling some kind of wrapper outside the game, like the Dual Shock 4 Driver app I was using, actually duplicates the input the game sees. If you press a d-pad direction, the game registers it naturally and it also sees the input from the Dual Shock app, so it registers two button presses overall per single actual button press.

Disabling the Dual Shock 4 app solved the problem for me.

That's what I did, but now the touchpad brings up the menu, and the start button brings up the main menu. I hate it :argh:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

So by choosing ON, I will be interrogated by Vorhiis or whomever while I am getting a shave?

Agree 100%. I was super annoyed when my import didnt do anything/didnt work so now I want to make sure that Letho is alive and it really is not clear at all...

Yeah On is the one you want.
Now I'm nervous about my 2nd playthrough, I just imported an old W2 save and have no idea if it worked :smith:

Also a little annoying bug in this build: the mouse sensitivity sliders just vanish from the options at some point.
I saw them once, but then never again and had to .ini edit

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's what I did, but now the touchpad brings up the menu, and the start button brings up the main menu. I hate it :argh:

The nice thing on the ps4 is swiping up on the touchpad brings up the map while clicking it opens inventory

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
By the way there's a bug that's very worrysome right as you start the final battle. When you start and it goes to a cutscene it will say "Reason of State FAILED". I forged ahead hoping it was crap and it was. Just a scary moment there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've noticed that my frames went down a few notches from mid-40s on high/medium settings to mid-high 30s. I think all my graphics settings were equal to where they were before, but were there any new option(s) added in with 1.07 that I maybe should check off?

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
Uh, I thought this patch was supposed to cut down on weight. My inventory is suddenly 20 lbs heavier. What gives?

edit: So I dumped literally 100% of my stuff in storage. Still at 69 lbs. What. The. gently caress.

edit 2: Did they increase the weight of books or something? Since you can't store them this patch actually makes inventory management WORSE. Wow.

edit 3: Weight is just totally messed. Took all my items back from storage, it was 10 lbs heavier. Reequipped my items, inexplicably gained another pound. This is absurd.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 19, 2015

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
So how do armor *stat* relate to "resistance to X" in W3? Asking because I'm wondering if higher armor value on non-witcher gear is worth loosing the monster resist % on the warrior's leather jacket (I'd go after the griffin gear search but I somehow doubt it's wearable at level 6)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Malek Deneith posted:

So how do armor *stat* relate to "resistance to X" in W3? Asking because I'm wondering if higher armor value on non-witcher gear is worth loosing the monster resist % on the warrior's leather jacket (I'd go after the griffin gear search but I somehow doubt it's wearable at level 6)
The answer is, don't worry about it or think about it to any degree, just play. The game does not reward you for paying close attention to numbers. I say this as someone who likes paying close attention to numbers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The answer is, don't worry about it or think about it to any degree, just play. The game does not reward you for paying close attention to numbers. I say this as someone who likes paying close attention to numbers.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this one of my favorite things about playing without the hud: I am no longer scrutinizing tiny bars in an attempt to perceive the impact of improved stats.

edit: I'm not saying "ignore the numbers", and I'm sorry I can't comment on the interaction between armor and resistances. I wish I knew how that worked as well. I'm on console, so I can only really use 2 potions during combat unless I want to pause and gently caress around in the inventory screen more than I actually fight. My build is based on fast attack crit damage, so I just prioritize things that help that. Bigger numbers are better. I rarely have to choose between two similar things, because there just aren't that many similar things.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 19, 2015

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
That's... nice that you feel that way. Great for you. But at least at the early, early stage of the game I'm in the numbers do make a difference (for example the upgrade from starting silver sword to viper one? Quite noticable improvement for me), and if I'm to pick between armors I'd like to have some basis to do so on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Uh, I thought this patch was supposed to cut down on weight. My inventory is suddenly 20 lbs heavier. What gives?

edit: So I dumped literally 100% of my stuff in storage. Still at 69 lbs. What. The. gently caress.

edit 2: Did they increase the weight of books or something? Since you can't store them this patch actually makes inventory management WORSE. Wow.

edit 3: Weight is just totally messed. Took all my items back from storage, it was 10 lbs heavier. Reequipped my items, inexplicably gained another pound. This is absurd.

Just use the 9999 weight mod and don't worry about it for now. Unless you're on consoles, jokes on you!

Anyways, what quests push me out of act 1? I'm just boating around the isles and was about to finish family ties, but it seemed like that might be a point of no return so I did other stuff instead.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Malek Deneith posted:

That's... nice that you feel that way. Great for you. But at least at the early, early stage of the game I'm in the numbers do make a difference (for example the upgrade from starting silver sword to viper one? Quite noticable improvement for me), and if I'm to pick between armors I'd like to have some basis to do so on.
Green good, red bad. Trolololo knows. Smartymans knows.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

At this point I'd try to bomb glitch Roche. Hopefully it doesn't incite his men.

I've tried this. all it seems to do is piss them off and they start yelling. Starting to think I'll never get the cutscene.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I think they had to have increased the weight of books, but yes, this is absurd. It's a shame that this patch is such a mixed bag.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

gschmidl posted:

It's been updated now.

Excellent, thanks for letting me know.

I love this patch. It's not perfect, but the inventory overhaul is a vast, vast improvement.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So I want to know where I stand in this game as far as storywise (and time wise). I'm still in Novigrad, haven't left it yet at all. It seems like I'm able to leave here since a main quest is telling me to take a boat to someplace called Skillege (sp?) which I'm guessing is another kingdom, but I haven't done that yet because I'm finishing up some sidequests.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

casual poster posted:

So I want to know where I stand in this game as far as storywise (and time wise). I'm still in Novigrad, haven't left it yet at all. It seems like I'm able to leave here since a main quest is telling me to take a boat to someplace called Skillege (sp?) which I'm guessing is another kingdom, but I haven't done that yet because I'm finishing up some sidequests.

If you're wrapping up Velen and Novigrad you're maybe a third to half the way through the main quest, LOTS more to go, tens of hours. Worth noting that the main quest will bring you back to each of the big zones so you don't necessarily need to finish all the side stuff now.

I'd guess you have at least a third of the total game content to go.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JetsGuy posted:

By the way there's a bug that's very worrysome right as you start the final battle. When you start and it goes to a cutscene it will say "Reason of State FAILED". I forged ahead hoping it was crap and it was. Just a scary moment there.

Oh good that happened to me too and i was like "wtf did I not finish that??"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm kind of worried that my late game will be super short because I'm clearing Velen so thoroughly. But even if that turns out to the case, I'm going to turn around and start over on Death March as soon as I finish it on Blood and Broken Bones, so...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Death march rules except last night I got some kinda bullshit bug where all the guards in this one area respawned when I loaded my save.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

sauer kraut posted:

Also a little annoying bug in this build: the mouse sensitivity sliders just vanish from the options at some point.
I saw them once, but then never again and had to .ini edit

Go to Graphics and set Hardware Cursor to OFF. The mouse sensitivity will reappear in Control Settings. Once you've set your sensitivity change Hardware Cursor back to ON.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

casual poster posted:

30-40% depending on how many sidequests you're doing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

casual poster posted:

If you haven't gotten to Skellige yet you're barely 30% (assuming you've wrapped up Velen and Novigrad at least up to rescuing Dandelion) into the main quest.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just beat it. drat what a loving game. Good poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it was not advertised as doing so, but it's sad to say that 1.07 still crashes in the same place for me as 1.06 on PC. (the fight with the big nasty armored dude and his summoned hounds with Keira while in the caves.)
It always crashes in that fight.

Guess I'll have to just suck it up and play this on PS4. Sad, because it looks so much better (and i think runs better) on PC for me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Feenix posted:

I know it was not advertised as doing so, but it's sad to say that 1.07 still crashes in the same place for me as 1.06 on PC. (the fight with the big nasty armored dude and his summoned hounds with Keira while in the caves.)
It always crashes in that fight.

Guess I'll have to just suck it up and play this on PS4. Sad, because it looks so much better (and i think runs better) on PC for me.

If you put the save file online (dropbox, or whatever you have) and PM me the link, I'll see if it crashes on my PC, then send it back to you after the fight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pik_d posted:

If you put the save file online (dropbox, or whatever you have) and PM me the link, I'll see if it crashes on my PC, then send it back to you after the fight.

Ok. It may get me farther. It's worth noting that I'd had crashes before that, but they got better (or coincidence) in 1.04 but that one spot has been bad since. Thanks... I'll send you my save link via PM. At the very least it will be educational to see if that area is just F'ed for me.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know what, if any, troubleshooting steps you have tried but I've been crashing more often on this 2nd runthrough with the latest Nvidia Drivers (353.30)then I did with the previous ones (352.60). Assuming you are using Nvidia. After they fixed the crashing in inventory, I didn't get any crashes the last 60-70 hours of my first playthrough. I've had around 3 the last 20 hours or so using the new drivers.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Playing the game again now that 1.7 dropped. The stash. It's brilliant.

The peasant sounds of hawking and snorting and all their nasal spitting fills me with disgust.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Poetic Justice posted:

I don't know what, if any, troubleshooting steps you have tried but I've been crashing more often on this 2nd runthrough with the latest Nvidia Drivers (353.30)then I did with the previous ones (352.60). Assuming you are using Nvidia. After they fixed the crashing in inventory, I didn't get any crashes the last 60-70 hours of my first playthrough. I've had around 3 the last 20 hours or so using the new drivers.

I'm a special case. Boot camp on a retina iMac. I'm stuck with AMD drivers from December. It could/may be that. Sadly I'm stuck with that... But the win 8.1 boot camp setup I have has performed admirably on most other fairly current games.

The crashing really didn't get bad until 1.05 or 6 I forget. Before that it was infrequent ( and totally random) (play 10 minutes or 6 hours.)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

I'm a special case. Boot camp on a retina iMac. I'm stuck with AMD drivers from December. It could/may be that. Sadly I'm stuck with that... But the win 8.1 boot camp setup I have has performed admirably on most other fairly current games.

The crashing really didn't get bad until 1.05 or 6 I forget. Before that it was infrequent ( and totally random) (play 10 minutes or 6 hours.)

Ah, ok. Well hopefully pik_d will be able to at least get you past that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can someone explain alchemy to me again? I do not need to keep a stockpile of every conceivable plant to replenish my oils and potions, I only need alcohol. I can make alcohest and dwarven spirit, but those are the only things in alchemy I need to keep harvesting their ingredients for. Correct?