Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

Yeah they mention Superman travelling 25 light years in 10 minutes then we see in this Episode Whis going across the universe in 25m

Presumably Whis is using some sort of magic rather than pure speed, but yeah there is that.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

"Superman heard a noise on Earth from a neighboring star, we will take this to mean he is stronger than God and not that DC hires hacks without restraint."

I mean, ignoring the issue with the fact that sound doesn't work this way, I get what they're going for. The argument that "Superman is written by hacks" doesn't negate the fact that superman has ridiculous powers. It explains it, sure, but if you're comparing superman to Goku you sort of have to accept that superman is going to be straight up retarded because he's been written by hundreds of people over nearly a century.

That said I think what gets in my craw the most is Their handwaving of doomsday.

Superman shouldn't necessarily lose because of the doomsday fight since you can argue that he got stronger more bullshit since then. The issue with the doomsday point is that it counteracts their central thesis for why Superman wins, which is that he is a man without limits. But the Death of Superman series directly contradicts this limitless argument, because Superman CAN lose, or at the very least fight to a draw. Superman dies goes into a stupid regenerative coma indistinguishable from death at the same time he kills (he gets better) Doomsday. How does a man without limits lose a fight?

If Superman can lose to Doomsday, which he absolutely did, then he isn't without limits. Superman has an arbitrarily high limit and you could even argue that he rises to the limit of whatever challenge he is supposed to face, but he can be beaten. This hack bullshit of he is a man without limits and thus impossible to defeat is simply wrong.

And don't even get me started on the stupid bullshit of Superman can lift more than Goku because christ that is a fundamental misunderstanding of how cultures differentiate. Superman is a Herculean hero, he is one who shows his strength by performing impossible feats. Goku by contrast is an Eastern hero, one whose power comes in the form of inner resolve. It isn't a mistake that Goku can be hurt by a thrown rock or a blaster when he doesn't think he's fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Superman has very, very bad writing, you see, so he wins.

"Superman heard a noise on Earth from a neighboring star, we will take this to mean he is stronger than God and not that DC hires hacks without restraint."

Unfortunately, that actually often is the case - and Death Battle generally tries to silence the 'you didn't consider X!' arguments by, indeed, taking the most ridiculous examples they can find. And to be honest? They were just scratching the surface of just how dumb some writers of Superman have gotten (and yes, the likes of Geoff Johns do heavily lean into the 'he is the strongest in the universe' notion even though that makes no sense).

But hey, at least I have Birthright and Secret Origin.

I'm honestly kinda curious on Dragonball's future in parallel to that. I mean yes, you get 'retellings' like the SD series, but it seems clear that's not meant to replace the original as the current 'true' version of the character. Yet at the same time, the series ultimately makes money (hence we're getting Super), and Toriyama isn't going to be around forever. Would they just limit themselves to another anime remaster/reanimation, or actually try to 'fix' the manga proper?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm not trying to say that DBZ isn't really self-indulgent at times, nor that they could simply discard the mountain of dumb poo poo DC has actually put out about Superman were they trying to do a fair analysis. I'm saying they honestly don't give a poo poo so they just use the dumbest poo poo they could find to justify their decision so they could get around to the bad animation and get those clicks rolling in.

This also applies to every Death Battle video I've watched.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Or don't, whatever. Vegeta can eat ice cream and you can look at that other guy's tumblr and talk about how cool Piccolo is when he blushes. :shrug:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
There have never been stakes in Dragon Ball

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Superman vs Goku would end in friendship. Its best to just accept it. :unsmith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hope they keep doing superman vs. goku forever because it really pisses off nerds from both parties and that owns

my facebook feed is just people complaining left and right, and playing both sides in order to upset people who are too into fanfiction fightmans is the most fun I've had since I made my account lol

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought the whole point of Death Battle was to take the most ridiculous extremes of two characters and have them fight. Limiting one character's abilities to be "more fair" is just making for a less entertaining fight.

If you're pairing off the Superman who lost to loving Doomsday against SSGSS Goku then what's even the point?

Also it's a cheapass webseries that can't afford a decent animator, who the gently caress cares about the results so long as it's entertaining. It's never gonna be an official source for these kind of debates since nerds are gonna sperg about the results and argue over specific circumstances until the end of time anyway.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
This week confirms it: DBS needs more Piccolo. Much more Piccolo.

I'm not trying to say that DBZ isn't really self-indulgent at times, nor that they could simply discard the mountain of dumb poo poo DC has actually put out about Superman were they trying to do a fair analysis. I'm saying they honestly don't give a poo poo so they just use the dumbest poo poo they could find to justify their decision so they could get around to the bad animation and get those clicks rolling in.

This also applies to every Death Battle video I've watched.

Every time somebody's made me watch Death Battle my sphincter goes into cringe spasms every time the "gruff" guy opens his mouth to spew the most lovely jokes literally every 10 seconds. Then I skip to the end to see some brain meltingly dumb result and don't care because it's goddamn Death Battle.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
i like death battle when characters i like win. i don't like death battle when characters i don't like win.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thunderbro posted:

Every time somebody's made me watch Death Battle my sphincter goes into cringe spasms every time the "gruff" guy opens his mouth to spew the most lovely jokes literally every 10 seconds. Then I skip to the end to see some brain meltingly dumb result and don't care because it's goddamn Death Battle.

Boomstick is the loving worst

Also if you're into skipping the "data" to go right into the poorly made fight, there's another series on their channel called "One Minute Melee" that's just two characters fighting each other with a brief intro. No stats, no justifications, actually decent animation most of the time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Neo_Crimson posted:

i like death battle when characters i like win. i don't like death battle when characters i don't like win.

I don't even like it when my favorite wins, I just wasted my loving time either way and I really should know better.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
After Goku is wished back to life AGAIN, and continues to try to fight Superman, Superman should be all "Yeah you know what, okay. You win. There. I can kill you, but I can't BEAT you."

And Goku will be like "yeeeey! Hey lets go get Icecream!" and then they do. The End.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no, they need to do a fusion to fight a fused Lex Luthor/Gold Frieza. BioMetaGoldenLexFrieza vs. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Superman

I don't even like it when my favorite wins, I just wasted my loving time either way and I really should know better.

we post in the DBZ thread, we gave up our rights to whine about watching time-wasting bullshit a long time ago

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 19, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

After Goku is wished back to life AGAIN, and continues to try to fight Superman, Superman should be all "Yeah you know what, okay. You win. There. I can kill you, but I can't BEAT you."

And Goku will be like "yeeeey! Hey lets go get Icecream!" and then they do. The End.

agreed. Its a guy who can't lose versus a guy who won't give up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Super Cyanman vs Lord Lex. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
As a thought experiment; do you think there would be as much frustration at the slow pace of Super if we hadn't seen Battle of Gods already and this was all brand new content?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

jivjov posted:

As a thought experiment; do you think there would be as much frustration at the slow pace of Super if we hadn't seen Battle of Gods already and this was all brand new content?

It'd probably be much the same, except people would be really worried about these Whis and Beerus guys being lame GTish villains.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jivjov posted:

Probably less so in my books. Right now my only complaint in Super is that it's still similar enough that I'd really like them to get to the new stuff. That and King Kai's voice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I think most of the complaints would have gone away if they had led with a big fight. Maybe a reanimated version of the World Tournament from the end of Z and then a flashback to "Here's what happened between Buu and here"

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Can you kill Goku with the Death Note? Is there a rule about killing a guy that's already died?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It pretty much is the combination of the current slow pace and vaguely knowing what should be coming. Probably the closest comparison I can think of is how a lot of people treat the Great Saiyaman stuff (though I personally love it) when what they often want is to get right to the Buu plot kicking in.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Squallege posted:

Can you kill Goku with the Death Note? Is there a rule about killing a guy that's already died?

yes you can kill Goku with the death note, it's not going to be the first time he's died of a heart attack.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Exercu posted:

yes you can kill Goku with the death note, it's not going to be the first time he's died of a heart attack.

Oh poo poo "heart disease" or death note? Future Trunks universe is the Death Note universe

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Squallege posted:

Oh poo poo "heart disease" or death note? Future Trunks universe is the Death Note universe

Future Bulma figured out the cure for death by Death Note?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
KO by lobotomy is super lame, he didn't even use his Final Explosion

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Wake me when there's actual stakes in this show.

You've posted whining about the lack of action about a dozen times over the whole 2 episodes of this series maybe it just isn't for you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Flagrama posted:

Future Bulma figured out the cure for death by Death Note?

Presumably when Frieza came to earth in the original timeline Goku was an idiot and let him live (again). Frieza then stumbled onto the death note and wrote himself killing Goku into the book. Then Goku died of a heart attack because lets be honest, that isn't possible at all.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Astro Nut posted:

It pretty much is the combination of the current slow pace and vaguely knowing what should be coming. Probably the closest comparison I can think of is how a lot of people treat the Great Saiyaman stuff (though I personally love it) when what they often want is to get right to the Buu plot kicking in.

That's definitely the best comparison, it was a long slow lead up to get to actual fighting in the Buu Saga that just let you know what everyone is up to.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I don't think it's asking too much to want to see the people whose sole ambition is to be the best at punching things to punch something at some point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think people should enjoy the chill, character-driven episodes while they still exist, because they won't last and then we'll enter fights that we've already seen before, because you're kidding yourself if you think Goku vs Beerus will go any different from how it did in Battle of Gods. Everyone will get beaten up, Vegeta will THAT'S MY BULMAAAA, and then Goku turns into the most disappointing Super Saiyan form, fails to actually do anything significant with it, then loses.

Personally I wish these episodes didn't have to end, since Dragon Ball really, really can use with the character building, especially after how Resurrection "F" was ALL BATTLES ALL THE TIME, and because of it was a worse movie than Battle of Gods. I want punchmans in my punchman anime as much as anyone but jesus, this is good too. And this is good and unusual!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I like these episodes. I prefer this sort of pacing to "fights" where 70% of the fight is closeups of people talking. I mean I want fighting too but I can wait

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll take disappointing Super Saiyan God over stupid Super Saiyan 4. Talk about dumbfuck designs.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I do wish the translation wasn't so drat dry. But I guess that's what you get when reheating leftovers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Babe Magnet posted:

no, they need to do a fusion to fight a fused Lex Luthor/Gold Frieza. BioMetaGoldenLexFrieza vs. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Superman

we post in the DBZ thread, we gave up our rights to whine about watching time-wasting bullshit a long time ago

The Ultimate Warrior.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

is there a link to the new episode with subs? i think the last two were linked here

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So if I understand this "Awaken" thing correctly, you can only awaken them one time, and they won't become their higher rank version, with the ability to be awakened again. So I have a Normal Yamcha that I awakened to Rare, but now he's stuck as Rare, and Super Teq. I also have a Rare Yamcha, but I can awaken that one still to make him SR.

I thought it was going to be more like P&D where you can evolve things to just rank them up to the max, but it seems not.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it yet, since link combos are probably more important at the moment, and there's basically only 2 ssrs for the time being(not counting that there are different types of ss goku and ss vegeta) Admittedly the super saiyans do have pretty solid leader skills, but vegeta at the very least is somewhat limited in who he can link with, since it's basically ss goku, radditz, Nappa, trunks, and regular vegeta. I was lucky enough to get two ss vegetas, but you can't have two of the same version of a character on a team, so I've only been linking him with regular vegeta and random guest leaders whenever they pop up since I don't have any of the other saiyans. Chichi and gohan are probably doing the most damage on my team at the moment. Also saw a Dokkan mode super attack. It was pretty rad.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

is there a link to the new episode with subs? i think the last two were linked here

Mod sayeth don't talk of :filez:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Its the first result on google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
What is Superman's power level?

• Locked thread