Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Cato is hard to alpha, just keep chipping away and count the indomitables. Count on on in hand until you've seen at least one go down.

That said I find it way easier to just bully planet one and ignore Cato, stop feeding him money for dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MisterShine posted:

Cato is hard to alpha, just keep chipping away and count the indomitables. Count on on in hand until you've seen at least one go down.

One did get used but I had to go for the alpha strike anyway, using a Warpstorm to charge up an Enraged Ork to lay down a burst. Also, uh, don't Snotling Attack on Cato unless you have a Battle Cry in hand too because wow that sucked.

Anyway, Martell is up, as well as rules!

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 13, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Well, FFG released the new conquest tournament FAQ which answers the most important question:

"2015 North American Championships NOTE: Any new Warhammer 40,000: Conquest products released at Gen Con will not be legal for the 2015 North American Championships."

So, no Nids.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

But on the other hand: YES nids!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm really interested to see what they do with Necrons, but I understand releasing the 'Nids first since they will need a bigger card pool sooner.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

lotr: What is the bleeding edge precise definition of "deal damage"

If I cast heavy stroke, does the enemy shield eat the damage twice?

Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

lotr: What is the bleeding edge precise definition of "deal damage"

If I cast heavy stroke, does the enemy shield eat the damage twice?

I'm pretty sure you only compare the Defense value to damage when attacking. So damage from actions and character abilities that don't generate attacks won't be reduced. One of the newer quests has a keyword that does reduce those I think but I don't remember what its called. In the case of Heavy stroke it would deal damage equal to the amount the original attack did after defense but it would not apply the defense again to Heavy strokes damage.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What happens when a bad guy attacks from the staging area? is he engaged? Does he get a shadow card?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not engaged. Gets a shadow card.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are you sure about the shadow card if it's not instructed to fight through normal means? The design of the Dunland encounter cards seem to suggest thatshadow cards are usually only dealt during the deal shadow cards subphase, which is why some encounters specify to deal a shadow card.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1702-official-nate-rule-clarifications/page-2
Shadow cards should be dealt during attacks made outside of the combat phase. The [rules, pg 18] reads, "when resolving enemy attacks, follow these four steps." The main issue I see with that interpretation is that it is conflating the resolution of an attack with the act itself, and making the jump to the conclusion that anything that does not happen during the resolution of an attack (such as the dealing of a Shadow card) is not a part of the attack.

Some cards just reiterate that you have to deal a shadow card.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

So how's Call of Cthulhu? It looks interesting but goddamn thats a lot of packs to have to pick up

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MisterShine posted:

So how's Call of Cthulhu? It looks interesting but goddamn thats a lot of packs to have to pick up

I can't say anything about the game, but I imagine it's next on the chopping block to either be rebooted or canceled entirely. I think they just do big box expansions for it now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MisterShine posted:

FFG is literally begging people to buy game night kits and host regionals for it. Don't bother.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Back to the sweet embrace of looking at GoT then

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's really funny to me how they completely ignored Ogres (even Bretonnians got some love) in the Invasion LCG. Now that I think of it, they didn't even have Ogres in that Diskwars game either. :lol:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Tyrell preview is now up, but unfortunately not many new cards here. I think out of all the houses, the Tyrells have seem like they have the second weakest theme (Starks being the first). Not the mechanic of Str boosts, which will likely turn out alright, but there doesn't seem to be too much synergy within the cards. I'm really not sure how they "win," so to speak. What more is interesting in that article are Put to the Swords and Tears of Lys, which seem like pretty easy ways of murdering the poo poo out of people who either don't have a duplicate or a bodyguard. It's going to be an interesting dynamic between busting out the huge mega characters like Dany, and I really like that most of the big names are hugely game state affecting, vs putting all your eggs in one basket...like Dany.

So now that the factions have each had their article, what is everyone aiming to play (not necessarily in 1x Core)? I'm leaning really heavily towards Greyjoy/Baratheon but I have no idea if that synergy is playing out as well as I am hoping it does in my head.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
In LOTR news Escape from Mount Gram is now in the 'shipping now' phase!
I still haven't tackled Wastes of Eriador yet!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MisterShine posted:

The art is certainly pretty.

Honestly it is probably doomed to die or reboot soon.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Tyrell preview is now up, but unfortunately not many new cards here. I think out of all the houses, the Tyrells have seem like they have the second weakest theme (Starks being the first). Not the mechanic of Str boosts, which will likely turn out alright, but there doesn't seem to be too much synergy within the cards. I'm really not sure how they "win," so to speak. What more is interesting in that article are Put to the Swords and Tears of Lys, which seem like pretty easy ways of murdering the poo poo out of people who either don't have a duplicate or a bodyguard. It's going to be an interesting dynamic between busting out the huge mega characters like Dany, and I really like that most of the big names are hugely game state affecting, vs putting all your eggs in one basket...like Dany.

So now that the factions have each had their article, what is everyone aiming to play (not necessarily in 1x Core)? I'm leaning really heavily towards Greyjoy/Baratheon but I have no idea if that synergy is playing out as well as I am hoping it does in my head.

The Tyrells seem to be based around flexibility, like some sort of midrange/control deck. They'll try to disrupt their opponents' plans while using their superior resources to build up their board and take advantage of their opponents' weaknesses. I like the dichotomy between their "honorable" knight dudes, and their tricky intrigue/spy dudes. Similar to Martell, but I think Martell has more of a focus on the trickiness and turning losses into gains, while the Tyrells focus more on having more/bigger stuff. We'll have see what the rest of their card pool holds for them.

Given how much I enjoyed playing Lannister with the old game, I think I'll stick with playing them for now; I'll either use Baratheon or Tyrell for a Banner faction, or just use the Fealty Agenda. Getting Tywin or Cersei out for cheaper seems like a good deal. They also have a triggered ability cancel, which I'm always fond of. I'm also interested in trying out Night's Watch and Tyrell.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'll play something +Tyrell's at GenCon in the 1x core. Right now Targs and Greyjoys are top contenders. I wish I had an idea of how many copies we'd have of which cards. With GenCon next week, it's starting to seem unlikely that we'll know before Thursday

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008
Is there a dedicated AGoT 2.0 thread? I know there used to be one for 1.0 but not sure whether it got repurposed or abandoned.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This might be the best place for AGoT 2.0 talk until it drowns out everything else. I hope it gets big, cause I loved the idea of 1st Edition, but hated the growing pains it has as the first big LCG.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't think any of the other LCGs get anywhere near as much traffic as Netrunner, and even that has a lot of slow days. Like there's hardly ever any Conquest discussion here, although I imagine a part of it is the slow roll of cards where the entire first cycle gave each faction like 10 new cards and a warlord+signature stuff. I can't imagine GOT being much better in that regard considering it has even more factions (until the Necrons come out).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Do we know if the GenCon tournament will follow traditional deck construction rules? In the intro rules book they tell you to make decks with a single box out of 2 factions cards ignoring loyalty rules. I'm not sure if you can even make a large 60 deck with the deck with a single core. It seems unlikely given that they have 250 cards or less and 8 factions + neutral cards. I suppose this also alters which faction combinations are best.

You get 31 Neutrals and 20 per factions. So unless we aren't making legal decks, I assume the deck construction rules will be suspended.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 21, 2015

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Karnegal posted:

Do we know if the GenCon tournament will follow traditional deck construction rules? In the intro rules book they tell you to make decks with a single box out of 2 factions cards ignoring loyalty rules. I'm not sure if you can even make a large 60 deck with the deck with a single core. It seems unlikely given that they have 250 cards or less and 8 factions + neutral cards. I suppose this also alters which faction combinations are best.

You get 31 Neutrals and 20 per factions. So unless we aren't making legal decks, I assume the deck construction rules will be suspended.

Word from some testers is you can build tourney-legal 60 card decks from any faction combination out of the core box.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

tomdidiot posted:

Word from some testers is you can build tourney-legal 60 card decks from any faction combination out of the core box.

If that's true, its going to lead to some samey lovely decks.

20 faction cards were a given, but you'll need. It looks like factions are about 6-8 loyal cards. So if you take 12-14, you'll still need 26-28 neutrals out of 29. Plot cards are going to be about the only meaningful distinction between two similarly allied decks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Karnegal posted:

20 faction cards were a given, but you'll need. It looks like factions are about 6-8 loyal cards. So if you take 12-14, you'll still need 26-28 neutrals out of 29. Plot cards are going to be about the only meaningful distinction between two similarly allied decks.

Doesn't the same thing essentially happen with any 1x Core tournament? I recall that the Conquest tournament was all SM/Tau with some representation in DE/whatever. I see the 1x tournament as more a mass preview event rather than as anything representative of the final product.

I'm also somewhat surprised that there aren't full spoilers out for this and 'nids yet, though.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

GrandpaPants posted:

Doesn't the same thing essentially happen with any 1x Core tournament? I recall that the Conquest tournament was all SM/Tau with some representation in DE/whatever. I see the 1x tournament as more a mass preview event rather than as anything representative of the final product.

I'm also somewhat surprised that there aren't full spoilers out for this and 'nids yet, though.

Well, Netrunner had a bit more versatility out of the box, but that's what 45 card decks, fewer factions, and a larger card pool will get you

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Escape from Mount Gram details!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/21/prison-food/

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

This is really cool. Time to bust out all the Secrecy events!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

This is really cool. Time to bust out all the Secrecy events!

Yeah, I am quite excited to make a deck for it.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Karnegal posted:

Plots make a huge difference to how the game plays. Some might say they're the most important part of the game :p

More importantly, there are also 56 possible faction combinations. I wouldn't write off the 1x core game just yet.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

tomdidiot posted:

Plots make a huge difference to how the game plays. Some might say they're the most important part of the game :p

More importantly, there are also 56 possible faction combinations. I wouldn't write off the 1x core game just yet.

The issue is more the swingyness than anything. A decent amount of the non-loyal cards require faction cards as targets. Since you have no dupes, it makes it hard to use those. A card like Dothraki Sea has what 2 targets in your whole deck? I think skill will certainly matter, but it's going to be a decent amount of luck too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is there anywhere that explains how the faction mixing in AGOT works? I don't understand it.

Also, is Warhammer Invasion an actual good game or is Conquest just overall better? I am too impacient and I can't wait for Necrons to be out :v: I also wish the Inquisition had been its own faction but oh well.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Azran posted:

Is there anywhere that explains how the faction mixing in AGOT works? I don't understand it.
You have a main faction, and you can then ally with any other faction. You can play any/all cards from that faction that aren't loyal (they'll have a special symbol if they are loyal) for no additional cost. You can also play any neutrals.

quote:

Also, is Warhammer Invasion an actual good game or is Conquest just overall better? I am too impacient and I can't wait for Necrons to be out :v: I also wish the Inquisition had been its own faction but oh well.
W:I was a good game, though it had broken poo poo. It's the most Magicky of all the LCGs. Conquest I'd love to get into, but it seems to snowball horrifically.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

tomdidiot posted:

Conquest I'd love to get into, but it seems to snowball horrifically.

I've definitely rallied in games of Conquest. It does have a weird economy where a lot of cards are "win more," but it is so so so easy to overcommit to something and just lose it all as a result. Even something as simple as an Eager Recruit has turned the tide of entire games, since it completely hosed with his combat math and caused him to bloody his warlord, which set me up for a Prelate + stuff to finish him off. Even the one game where I was consistently losing the econ game could have been won if he wasn't playing Space Marines and drew up his Indomitables. loving Indomitable, I hate you.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Azran posted:

You can run an Agenda for your deck that kind of modifies your deck by giving you certain positive effects for certain drawbacks and limitations. In the core set there are Agendas for each House that lets you play their non-loyal cards as long as you play at least 12 of them. Here's an example

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ah, I see. I didn't knew how you'd get 56 different factions combinations considering there were only 7 factions. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
We are indeed getting alternate deck building rules https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/22/becoming-a-kingslayer/

Playing 2 full factions kind of turns things on their heads. I'll be looking at the options later tonight and coming here with thoughts if anyone wants to chat about potential decks.