Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Paul Kimmage: Tour de France leader Chris Froome would be well advised to invite questions

Interesting read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol the British media are horrible cunts. Please go back to covering soccer or cricket

Since when other than the BBC has British media been anything other than horrible cunts?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fancy quoting that in here? I refuse to do a survey to read a news report.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Where did 7.04W/Kg come from? @ammattipyoraily on twitter estimated 6.09W/Kg and is usually pretty close.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Fancy quoting that in here? I refuse to do a survey to read a news report.
Ad block saved me that shame. Sorry about the formatting though.

quote:

Sir Dave Brailsford is credited as one of the principal architects in transforming Great Britain's track fortunes over the last decade and can now claim to have replicated that on the road with Team Sky.

After a sensational season for British cycling in 2012 - which saw Team Sky capture a one-two finish at the Tour de France before going on to win eight gold medals at the London Olympic Games - Brailsford faced the task of sustained success in 2013. The results followed, with a second consecutive Tour de France victory ensuring Team Sky did twice in four seasons what they had originally set out to do once in four.

The interview had entered its fourth hour and having regaled me with tales of his unlikely rise from an office job in Gwynedd County Council to the helm of British Cycling, Dave Brailsford was selling me his vision for Sky, a new professional cycling team, and his five-year plan to win the Tour de France with a clean British rider. But there was a hitch - I wasn't ready to buy and his brow was suddenly furrowed. "You seem a bit anti," he observed. "No, not anti, you seem very . . . sceptical." "I'm amazed that should surprise you," I smiled.

He handed me a copy of the team's recruitment strategy - a huge tome that must have weighed half a ton - and impressed on me that Sky would be different Roger Palfreeman, the chief medical officer at British Cycling, would lead an internal testing programme. The team would only employ British doctors, have a zero tolerance of doping and would not employ anyone who had been associated with doping. The staff would be "enthusiastic and positive, fit and healthy, and willing to try new things".

A week later we exchanged some text messages:
Me: "Is there a difference in doing the right thing and being seen to do the right thing?"
Him: "Good point - the only way is to do the right thing regardless of being seen or not."
Me: "Just thinking out loud."
Him: "I agree with your thoughts but it is hopefully the one thing I will do, ie have a value-and-belief system and actually live by it."
But some of the staff he had hired (and would later fire) had obviously been associated with doping and I wasn't convinced.

Nine months later, in May 2010, he offered me complete and unrestricted access to the team for the Tour de France. The first in a series of behind-the-scenes exclusives started with an interview with Bradley Wiggins during a training camp in the Pyrenees. "Better to have you inside the tent looking out, then outside the tent looking in," he grinned. The boy does have a sense of humour.

The Tour started in Rotterdam that year. I booked a motorhome, caught a ferry from Harwich and sat down for a pre-arranged meeting with Brailsford at the team hotel on the eve of the race. He wasn't happy. My trip to the Pyrenees had "made the lads edgy" and he had decided to review the terms of the agreement - the complete and unrestricted access could not begin before Thursday.
"But that's almost a third of the race," I protested.
"I know," he said. "But I still think we can make this work."
"How will it work?"
"Why don't you sleep on it," he said.
One of his riders, Michael Barry, was a former team-mate of Lance Armstrong and had just been implicated by Floyd Landis. I met Brailsford the following evening and suggested a compromise: "I'll stay out of the team for a week if you let me sit down with Michael Barry."
"No, I can't agree to that," he smiled.
"I've just watched him give an interview to the BBC?"
"No, it might destabilise the team."
"Dave, put yourself in my shoes for a moment," I implored. "What credibility would I have as a journalist if I spent three weeks with your team on the Tour de France and did not talk to Michael Barry?"
"No credibility," he agreed.
Three months earlier, Roger Palfreeman, a cornerstone of Brailsford's anti-doping strategy, left the team. I asked Brailsford in Rotterdam why the press had not been informed? He seemed puzzled. "He was never part of Team Sky," he explained. "He worked for British Cycling." I asked him for Palfreeman's number; he told me he didn't have one. "But if I can get hold of him, I'll give him your number and he can call you."

Three months later, in October 2010, Geert Leinders - a Belgian doctor who has now been banned for life from the sport - joined the team. "We agreed as a team that if a rider, suffering from asthma, got into trouble with pollen we would pull him out of the race rather than apply for a therapeutic use exemption on his behalf."

Few people had ever heard of Chris Froome after his first season with Sky in 2010. Born in Kenya to British parents, he had turned professional in 2007 with a small South African team and progressed steadily through the ranks - 83rd in the 2008 Tour de France, 36th in the 2009 Giro d'Italia - before joining Sky. Those first months with the team were a struggle. On the 19th stage of the Giro d'Italia, he was disqualified for holding onto a motorbike (he had injured his knee and planned to abandon) and a year later the team were not renewing his contract until an outstanding performance (second) in the Tour of Spain. The reason for the transformation? Bilharzia, a water-borne parasitic disease transferred by microscopic snails that he contracted while swimming during a visit to his father in Africa. The parasite had been attacking his red blood cells and draining him for months until a treatment - Biltracide - was found. In 2012, he finished second behind Wiggins in the Tour de France and second in the Olympic time trial. A year later, he won almost every time he pinned a number on and arrived in Corsica as the stand-out favourite for the Tour.

The first major showdown of the race was the eighth stage from Castres to the Pyrenean ski resort of Ax 3 Domaines. One minute and ten seconds separated the (ten) favourites that morning as they rolled out of Castres but Froome had destroyed them - and the race - when they reached the summit finish. A week later, on the slopes of Mont Ventoux, Froome blitzed the field again but it was the first Tour since the fall of Lance Armstrong and questions were being raised: How had a mild-mannered Kenyan with an ordinary pedigree, and an ugly racing style, delivered one of the greatest performances of all time? One of those asking questions was a former team (Festina) coach and physiologist, Antoine Veyer: "On the Ventoux, Froome was the same as Armstrong and Pantani. I've asked Sky: help me to believe you; help me to defend you, put everything on the table - his (power) data, his VO2, his blood values. You have nothing to hide." Gerard Guillaume, the team doctor at FDJ, also expressed reservations: "The thing that concerns me about Froome is how thin he is - you should lose muscle when you drop below a certain weight. And Sky are talking about releasing his data to the World Anti-Doping Agency but they are only going to give what suits them." Froome rode the storm to the Champs-élysées but things got worse in 2014, when he was photographed sucking from an inhaler before going on the attack to win the second stage of the Criterium de Dauphine in June. "Where had the asthma come from?" the sceptics wondered. "He's never mentioned that before." Then, five days later, a French newspaper, Le Journal du Dimanche, ran a story alleging that the sports governing body had ignored its own rules in granting Froome a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) for prednisone, a glucocortisteroid, during the Tour of Romandie in April.
Froome had been struggling with a chest infection and applied for the TUE when his doctor noticed him coughing after the opening stage. No rules were broken but many observers were alarmed. The abuse of glucocortisteroids has been rampant in the sport for years and Sky had earned plaudits for their policy of withdrawing sick riders from competition, rather than apply for the TUE's.
What was going on? Had that policy, like so many others, suddenly changed?

A few days later, I requested an interview with Froome and (against the advice of his team) he agreed. I liked him. He wasn't aggressive or menacing like Armstrong and gave a couple of answers the team would have hated:

He knew Geert Leinders had come from a doping past.
(The team had no idea.)

He had used the painkiller, Tramadol.
(The team denied it.)

And he had just started working with Tim Kerrison at Sky.
(The team attributed everything to the performance director.)

Two questions intrigued me: the first was about his astonishing transformation in the 2011 Tour of Spain.
PK: There were flags raised in the team about your performance. Did anyone from the team ever raise this with you at all?
CF: No.
PK: Nobody asked: "What's going on here, boy?"
CF: No, never.
PK: Now this parasite (Bilharzia) attacks your red blood cells?
CF: Yeah.
PK: Richard Freeman (a Team Sky doctor) told David Walsh that your performances had tripped an alarm in his head. He looked at your (blood) profiles and there was no inconsistency. But if you've had a parasite attacking your red cells, surely there should be (some inconsistency). Surely that should show up?
CF: I would imagine so. I don't know what the blood passport looks like. I've never looked into it . . . Logic says your red blood cells would be lower because your haematocrit is being eaten by those parasites . . . I'd imagine if it was outside the (normal) parameters questions would have been asked.
The second was about his seeming refusal to submit himself to tests:
PK: There's a tirade of noise on social media asking: "Why won't he do a VO2 test?" And experts like Antoine Veyer saying he has asked but the team has refused. I don't understand why you're not banging on his door saying: 'Antoine, what's the problem here? How can I help? Show me the bike and I'll do the test. What other questions do you have?'
CF: What's going to be gained from a VO2 test other than being submissive to people who are basically just going to use that in one way or another to try and prove their point?
PK: You say, 'Why should I be submissive?' What do you have to lose?
CF: Yeah, maybe it is something we would look at doing one day . . . I mean, people with really low VO2s have been amazing bike riders. And people with high VOs have been useless bike riders, so it's not a measure the team uses. I've definitely never done a VO2 max test with the team.
PK: And you don't see the point in doing one just to shut these people up?
CF: At some point I probably will.
PK: Do one next week before the Tour.
(He laughs.)

The interview ended. We shook hands and I offered him some advice: "Start every press conference you do for the next year with an invitation to the journalists to ask questions about doping. And sit down with Veyer and do everything he asks."
He did not take that advice, and this week it came back to bite him . . .
Tour de France leader Chris Froome has said he is willing to undergo physiological tests after this year's race to put to rest any suspicion of doping. The Briton astonished rivals and pundits on Tuesday's 10th stage with a brutal attack in the final climb that left him nearly three minutes clear of his closest rival in the overall classification.
Perhaps a million words have been written since Froome's win on Tuesday on the poisonous mistrust that has afflicted the Tour: climbing speeds and power rates and physiologists interpreting numbers; bloggers running scared and lawyers issuing writs; old pros asking questions they have never asked before; racers blaming journalists.
"It's getting to the point where some of the journalists who are whipping up the rubbish that they are, need to be accountable for our safety a little bit as well," Froome's team-mate, Richie Porte, said on Friday.
"Do I deserve to be booed? Does Chris Froome deserve all this? I don't think so. Maybe in ten years' time they're going to see these victories are legitimate. It's a disgrace how some of these people carry on."
Thanks Richie, you'll be waiting for an apology.

And what are we to make of the return of Roger Palfreeman and yesterday's curious report in The Times: "His arrival will provide confidence in the zero tolerance anti-doping policy adopted by Sir Dave Brailsford, Sky's team principal, and in an interview yesterday, Palfreeman talked about the internal procedures used by Sky to eliminate the dangers of drug-taking among its riders and staff, as well as about innovations in drug-taking that the sport needs to head off in the future.
"I am absolutely confident in the cleanness of Team Sky," Palfreeman said. "The procedures are the strongest in the sport and the culture, which I have seen close up, gives you huge confidence."
Perhaps Roger, but we've heard all that before.

The only thing that can save this sport is transparency.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

carborexic posted:

Where did 7.04W/Kg come from? @ammattipyoraily on twitter estimated 6.09W/Kg and is usually pretty close.

From the show, they had a few scientists talk during the clip they showed. It was really nailing the claim to a post and saying Froome has to explain this.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Paul Kimmage owns

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Remember when Sky were in their first year and actually were a transparent team and even somewhat respectable and finished dead last in every race?

Remember when Garmin could win stages and be up on GC? Do they even have a rider in the top 20?

Also Hesjedal winning a Giro out of nowhere and doing nothing of note since is kinda strange, these are my thoughts.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

That 7.04kg/w number apparently came from researchers at ASO. I'll rewatch the segment tomorrow and do some research into the people on screen to confirm, but if it's true and ASO have their own staff doing this analysis that they release it to France2 for the segment, I don't know what to say.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
How can anyone calculate it if no one including Sky know how much he weighs?

Also lol at the idea that Froome's never had a vo2 test.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They estimated in his favour that he's 71, his wife put him at 69kg.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Paddyb posted:

How can anyone calculate it if no one including Sky know how much he weighs?

Also lol at the idea that Froome's never had a vo2 test.

He told Kimmage a while back his v02 got tested at 81

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Smirr posted:

But THAT is ITV's coverage? Jesus Christ.

Still better than NBC's coverage.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Saw my first USADA testing today at a (non-nationals) amateur race. Times are a changing I tell you...

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

A Fred around here got a ban for testing positive at a Cat 3 race.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
There are a couple doctor/lawyer types here who I would not be surprised at all if they were "supplementing"

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
last night robbie mcewan got soooo close to putting his finger on it then veered off like a cavendish sprint.

he was all "the reason sky got drenched in piss was coz people lived through and remember the armstrong era........... and the french hate it when foreigners come in and dominate le tour"

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
"We're a science based team with an emphasis on data analysis, but we don't know the weight of our star rider" is the second worst answer after "yeah, we dope a lot".

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

IndustrialApe posted:

"We're a science based team with an emphasis on data analysis, but we don't know the weight or V02 max of our star rider" is the second worst answer after "yeah, we dope a lot".
ftfy

It's a weird situation, even if they are clean a huge portion of fans are never going to be convinced.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
They don't need to know the weight TBF, the pillows are a one size fits all.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

people shouldn't get fixated on the v02 max thing. Vaughters made a few posts explaining that they rarely measure it in theri riders

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Peter Sagan descends so pretty :3

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Peter Sagan descends so pretty :3

He is the anti-froome when it comes to bike handling

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Downhill TT should be a thing. Might end the Froome domination (Froomination?).

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I'm a huge Adam Hansen fan.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I got in a two man break yesterday and was making the Marco Haller face the whole time until I died.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They need to drop Sagan now.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

dema posted:

I'm a huge Adam Hansen fan.

I like his shoes, shame it costs 2 grand to buy them

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

The French really know how to race, Riblon attacked whilst Sagan was watching him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Apparently there were tacks on the descent of the Cabre.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
BAM

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh good. It's not a real tour until we see those.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yikes

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

The French still have high hopes.

Presenter A: Pinot is dropped
*2 minutes later*
Presenter A: Gallopin is dropped too!
Presenter B: That's the disappointment of the day.
Presenter A: Yeah...

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Man, Sagan took like 20 seconds so far on the descent.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Smirr posted:

Man, Sagan took like 20 seconds so far on the descent.

Descended like a madman but not sure it's enough

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He needs to seriously motor to make that up.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Sagan is ridiculous on those turns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This huge gap means we should be able to watch the full descent for the main group too