Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Neila Nuruodo posted:

The people complaining about Kvothe as a character kinda crack me up, though. Obviously they have no experience with people who thought they were strong and then were broken by life. Live a little and come back to the books, my friends. You'll be surprised at the insight it gives you.

Or maybe different people respond differently to life and Kvothe is actually not a very well written character. It's weird to consider, I know, but maybe if you live a little and come back to the books, my friend, you'll be surprised at the insight it gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Neila Nuruodo posted:

The people complaining about Kvothe as a character kinda crack me up, though. Obviously they have no experience with people who thought they were strong and then were broken by life. Live a little and come back to the books, my friends. You'll be surprised at the insight it gives you.

The dude describes both sex and fighting with a list of interchangeable tekken moves, and has his mary sue learn both from mysterious magical sex ninjas/godesses (who he totally bangs). If you think the books are a little too grown up for people maybe you don't have much right to be patronising on the internet.

Dienes posted:

Perfect, except we need 2 more paragraphs describing how it was two parts, and telling me how hard your alar was when he touched you.

Plus a brief interjection about how dolls, like lyres, were made to be touched

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The more interesting question to me is why a bunch of people who hate the books, who keep parroting how stupifyingly obvious it is that they are awful, somehow find it rewarding to post repeatedly in the thread dedicated to these books about said loathing. It's pretty much every other post in the thread at this point. Don't you have better things to talk about, for example in other threads dedicated to things you enjoy? It's just weird.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What's the desired outcome, I wonder? A hope that some new reader, excited about finishing Name of the Wind, opens the thread, and upon seeing "horsefucker420's" thousand word diatribe about how Kvothe sucks, starts crying and reevaluating her taste in literature?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Well, it worked with me.
I read book 1 and thought it was great. Then I read various comments as well as this thread (back when it started) and on the reread before the 2nd book my impressions were quite different. The 2nd book only solidified my feelings toward the series.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Velius posted:

The more interesting question to me is why a bunch of people who hate the books, who keep parroting how stupifyingly obvious it is that they are awful, somehow find it rewarding to post repeatedly in the thread dedicated to these books about said loathing. It's pretty much every other post in the thread at this point. Don't you have better things to talk about, for example in other threads dedicated to things you enjoy? It's just weird.

The people who hate everything about the books tend to make one post and move on. Everyone else likes or liked something about them that draws them to this series. People new to the thread read criticisms of the books and then post to defend it, drawing the people who are mildly interested in the series to bring up the old arguments. And the cycle continues.

For what its worth I think people who read the first book back in the day expected more out of the second book. It seemed like the series was smarter than maybe its turning out to be. We won't really know how this all turns out till book 3, but the books as they are have some serious flaws. I'm still interested enough to anticipate the final book.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things was legitimately terrible though.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Velius posted:

What's the desired outcome, I wonder? A hope that some new reader, excited about finishing Name of the Wind, opens the thread, and upon seeing "horsefucker420's" thousand word diatribe about how Kvothe sucks, starts crying and reevaluating her taste in literature?

I'd say it's impressive that you've managed to not draw a single point of discussion from 78+ pages of posting and dismiss hundreds of opinions with a single passive aggressive post, but that's probably the level of reading comprehension required to read 200k+ words of this trilogy and not understand any criticism.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
horsefucker420

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

careful, if someone posts it again u summon him into the thread like beetlejuice...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Velius posted:

Go look at the ASOIAF thread(s).

the series seemed like it had promise, then turned in to Harry Potter and the Crushing Student Debt, then it wandered off to sex ninjas and such while glossing over actual interesting things while the author mentions it's totally intentional to spend hundreds of pages talking about how poor Kvothe is and struggling to make ends meet to go to school and... what? Pirate attack at sea? Eh we'll just mention that offhand like it's no big deal so we can get back to the important stuff; talking about needing a sponsor and pining over a girl because Kvothe is somehow a well-traveled person with the people skills of a goony shut-in.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Neila Nuruodo posted:

No worries, I never look to hate a book. I do, however, take other people's impressions into account since I do some writing and am always looking to improve my own style. When writing, it helps me a lot to be aware of what I like but others don't (see complex sentence structure, etc.) so I don't overuse it and drive readers away.

I may have to check out the tor reread. I have a tendency to read very fast and miss little details as a result. It makes rereading fun and worthwhile. To be honest, I loved Rothfuss's stuff enough that I would typically have reread it long before now, but the books were so intense I don't feel like I've forgotten much. Realistically, though, I've probably forgotten a lot (if only because there is just so much in the books) so I'll probably take a break from the book I'm ignoring now and give them another go.

Here's one of the more detailed and sometimes amusing reviews of WMF that works to highlight its rampant shortcomings http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751. This is a less vitriolic explanation of why this is not a good book.

My personal enjoyment of making GBS threads on bad writing comes probably comes from spending years writing detailed constructive criticism on first-year college essays for students who (on the whole) only ever looked at their grades. It's cathartic.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 20, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Karnegal posted:

Here's one of the more detailed and sometimes amusing reviews of WMF that works to highlight its rampant shortcomings http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751. This is a less vitriolic explanation of why this is not a good book.

My personal enjoyment of making GBS threads on bad writing comes probably comes from spending years writing detailed constructive criticism on first-year college essays for students who (on the whole) only ever looked at their grades. It's cathartic.

That review (especially the poverty and sexcapades stuff) is so spot on it's unreal.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Misses out a few things though. Like how all of Kvothe's enemies (Ambrose, Hem, Carceret...) are petulant bullies who take a dislike to him rather than being any meaningful plot-related opposition.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

Maybe this whole feminism thing is a huge red herring to distract people from remembering that this dude made them read a 200 page segue about elf loving

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
While I agree with most of that review's points, people who use "grok" in actual writing or God forbid speech should be shot on sight.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

Velius posted:

That they realize his debut was highly overrated, and make their own educated decision on the matter of reading it or not through the back and forth discussions in this thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

esn2500 posted:

That they realize his debut was highly overrated, and make their own educated decision on the matter of reading it or not through the back and forth discussions in this thread.

Well, the debut wasn't exactly overrated, it just showed some promise. Too bad the second book was a pile of poo poo and squandered that promise.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Andrast posted:

Well, the debut wasn't exactly overrated, it just showed some promise. Too bad the second book was a pile of poo poo and squandered that promise.

So any novel that is "promising" deserves a unanimous 4.5 stars on Amazon? I think overrated does apply, especially considering the effect hype had on its debut.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

esn2500 posted:

So any novel that is "promising" deserves a unanimous 4.5 stars on Amazon? I think overrated does apply, especially considering the effect hype had on its debut.

Would it make you feel better if I just said that the masses aren't as critical or well read as you and they just like a story that is interesting and keeps their interest? Cause as far as I'm concerned, this book is great for the general population and earns its 4.5 stars on Amazon.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
It's really great that he used "skraeling" for a demon race too.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Rurutia posted:

Would it make you feel better if I just said that the masses aren't as critical or well read as you and they just like a story that is interesting and keeps their interest? Cause as far as I'm concerned, this book is great for the general population and earns its 4.5 stars on Amazon.

Not exactly because then all 4.5 starred novels are just "interesting" in that respect.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

esn2500 posted:

Not exactly because then all 4.5 starred novels are just "interesting" in that respect.

4.5 starred novels say that for people interested in reading in that novel, they would rate it on average 4.5 stars. Books, their target audience, their role in our lives and society can't be reduced down to a number. That number is only there to inform us of one aspect.

People who get this worked up about a book's rating on Amazon come off bat poo poo crazy.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Rurutia posted:

4.5 starred novels say that for people interested in reading in that novel, they would rate it on average 4.5 stars. Books, their target audience, their role in our lives and society can't be reduced down to a number. That number is only there to inform us of one aspect.

People who get this worked up about a book's rating on Amazon come off bat poo poo crazy.

No need to get confrontational about it. I've just been wondering exactly why people love it so much, but if its merely promising and interesting, sometimes it's enough to like it i guess. No complaints, just confusion.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Boing posted:

Misses out a few things though. Like how all of Kvothe's enemies (Ambrose, Hem, Carceret...) are petulant bullies who take a dislike to him rather than being any meaningful plot-related opposition.

Well he says everyone he meets either irrationally loves him or hates him. Which sort of covers the bully bit.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Patrick munched salaciously on a handful of chips. His orange dusted fingers transitioned from mouth to bag again and again. It was the cut-time cadence of a man resigned.

You aren't going to do it today he thought to himself. What's the point?

In the time the thought took, he had glanced twice towards the hand grenade icon in his bookmarks bar. Groaning, he put his head into his hands. At his feet, Oot played with aging toys on top a dirty blanket. The setting sun colored chip dust had fallen like snow on him, the toys, and the blanket- the floor was a fruit stand crime scene.

On Pat's left monitor, Word was opened to a file entitled Book 3. The most recent save date had burned itself into his monitor, overlaying the current date with its judgmental 1/5/15 pattern. Sucking chip remnants from his finger tips, he typed and deleted "Denna" over and over at the start of a new paragraph.

It can't hurt to check once, then I'll get some writing done.

At the click of a button, the Something Awful forums flashed into view, center of the screen. Pat's profile, wh1t3tkn7ght, had never posted on the forums, but he had been a member ever since he found his self titled thread. In his user profile, it was the only saved discussion. A number indicating the number of new posts since his last visit caught his eyes. 27. He opened the thread with abandon.

For a while, Patrick was silent. An observer would have been able to see his lips move without sound, wrapping themselves around the name horsefucker420 like a glove around a hand. One day, he would show all these neckbeards. These women hating, basement dwelling clown fuckers. They wouldn't know literature if he quoted Dickens for them while holding doors open for their moms. He leapt to his feet, sending Oot sprawling. Cries rose from the child but Patrick. Did. Not. Care.

People were espousing the wrong opinions on the internet. He was going to loving do something about it.

Patrick opened up reddit, and readied both the questions and answers for an Ask Me Anything. It was time to take a stand.

Edit: Grammar.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 20, 2015

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Benson Cunningham posted:

Patrick munched salaciously on a handful of chips. His orange dusted fingers transitioned from mouth to bag again and again. It was the cut-time cadence of a man resigned.

In the time the thought took, he had glanced twice towards the hand grenade icon in his bookmarks bar. Groaning, he put his head into his hands. At his feet, Oot played with aging toys on top a dirty blanket. The setting sun colored chip dust had fallen like snow on him, the toys, and the blanket- the floor was a fruit stand crime scene.

On Pat's left monitor, Word was opened to a file entitled Book 3. The most recent save date had burned itself into his monitor, overlaying the current date with its judgmental 1/5/15 pattern. Sucking chip remnants from his finger tips, he typed and deleted "Denna" over and over at the start of a new paragraph.

At the click of a button, the Something Awful forums flashed into view, center of the screen. Pat's profile, wh1t3tkn7ght, has never posted on the forums, but he had been a member ever since he found his self titled thread. In his user profile, it was the only saved discussion. A number indicating the number of new posts since his last visit caught his eyes. 27. He opened the thread with abandon.

For a while, Patrick was silent. An observer would have been able to see his lips move without sound, wrapping themselves around the name horsefucker420 like a glove around a hand. One day, he would show all these neckbeards. These women hating, basement dwelling clown fuckers. They wouldn't know literature if he quoted Dickens for them while holding doors open for their moms. He leapt to his feet, sending Oot sprawling. Cries rose from the child but Patrick. Did. Not. Care.

People were espousing the wrong opinions on the internet. He was going to loving do something about it.

Patrick opened up reddit, and readied both the questions and answers for an Ask Me Anything. It was time to take a stand.

:golfclap:

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

- Trim -

Kaoom, son. Well done. I love a good style parody. Though I admit I did think he was going to take "one perfect stand." at the end

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

At the click of a button, the Something Awful forums flashed into view, center of the screen. Pat's profile, wh1t3tkn7ght, had never posted on the forums, but he had been a member ever since he found his self titled thread. In his user profile, it was the only saved discussion. A number indicating the number of new posts since his last visit caught his eyes. 27. He opened the thread with abandon.

I hate to give you excess praise, but this is killing me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Then they have sex some more, then he comes back to the real world and is all “bros, I totally did it with Felurian” and everybody is all like “no way, you'd be mad or dead” and he's like “no I totally did it with Felurian” and then the hot barmaid from earlier is all like “no he's definitely telling the truth because I am a woman and I can see that he has got totally sexed up since we last met, because I tried to sex him and it freaked him out, but now it looks like he wouldn't be freaked out and also he would be totally awesome at sexing.” Then Kvothe does sex with the hot barmaid and he is totally awesome at it, and he explains how doing sex with the hot barmaid is totally as good as doing sex with Felurian, because women are like music and sometimes you want to listen to a beautiful symphony and sometimes you just want a nice simple jig, and by the way this definitely isn't sexist, and if you think it is then you know nothing about music or love or him.

Okay, that's slightly unfair, but only slightly. In this type of narrative in general, the mistake writers wind up making is always in presenting the problem as strategic in nature. Try to tie the girl down, and she'll run away, so it's more practical to take a softly-softly approach so that you can get what you want. The notion that what the girl herself wants might enter into the equation is always rather a side issue. It is taken for granted that Kvothe will only be able to truly “be with” Denna if he can get her to stop running and stay with him – he never even considers the possibility that they could have a relationship in which she simply retains the independence she seems to value so highly.

I don't think the Denna thing would bother me if it weren't for the fact that Rothfuss' women are so uniformly … fneh. Pre-Felurian, they're basically all desexualised and childlike (like Auri, the quirky pixie girl who lives in the Underthing) or else Mysterious Gatekeepers Of The Mystic Lands of The Sex (like Fela, Devi, and all of the other hot women who fancy Kvothe without him realizing). Post-Felurian, the Mystery has gone out of the non-childlike women, but the Gatekeepers of the Lands of The Sex they remain.

So he gets expelled from the university, but it in no way stops him accessing the university. He's poor, but never so poor that he can't afford everything he could possibly need. He's of low birth, but nobody who isn't clearly evil reacts badly to him because of it. He wanders blithely into faerie and is none the worse for wear. He encounters a society in which everybody has casual, unprotected sex with everybody else, and this apparently creates a society completely free of sexually transmitted diseases. He rescues two girls from a gang of rapists, and briefly muses that they will now be unable to find husbands, but when he returns them to their home village virtually everybody expresses a twenty-first century, non-victim-blaming attitude.

Yeah, I don't get Rothfuss's crazy insistence that he's some sort of feminist.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

Yeah, I don't get Rothfuss's crazy insistence that he's some sort of feminist.

It's so he can write flat uninteresting female characters and not be called out on it.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's so he can write flat uninteresting female characters and not be called out on it.
The thing is, one or two female characters like this isn't automatically bad. But when the female characters are uniformly Sexy Hot Women Who Want To Have Sex With The (underaged, at the time) Hero, or the Sexy Hot Woman Who Will Not Have Sex With The Hero then there's a huge problem. And, of course, there's the virgin outsexing the super sexy sex godess factor.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Mars4523 posted:

The thing is, one or two female characters like this isn't automatically bad. But when the female characters are uniformly Sexy Hot Women Who Want To Have Sex With The (underaged, at the time) Hero, or the Sexy Hot Woman Who Will Not Have Sex With The Hero then there's a huge problem. And, of course, there's the virgin outsexing the super sexy sex godess factor.

For a guy who probably never had sex with a woman half his weight, can you blame him? He clearly has some interesting fantasies

Neila Nuruodo
Jul 17, 2015

Karnegal posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out when I get back from visiting family. (Or during, if past experience is any indicator.) I'm more than happy to revise my opinion of a book based on a logical, cool-headed dissection of it. I'm just not interested in hating some character because someone else on the internet does.

Boing posted:

Gee, that almost sounds a bit like...life? People being jerks for no reason or because mommy didn't love them enough? Nah, must be a coincidence.

Seriously, though, the main argument I'm seeing here is that the book isn't focused enough on the action/plot. You seem to be missing the point that this entire trilogy is based around a person and his story. It's literally a dude being interviewed and telling his life's story. We'd like to think that our lives are these cool action montages, but in reality it's mostly boring day-to-day poo poo like student loans and magical goddesses.

esn2500 posted:

For a guy who probably never had sex with a woman half his weight, can you blame him? He clearly has some interesting fantasies

Don't we all, my friend. Don't we all.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neila Nuruodo posted:

Seriously, though, the main argument I'm seeing here is that the book isn't focused enough on the action/plot. You seem to be missing the point that this entire trilogy is based around a person and his story. It's literally a dude being interviewed and telling his life's story. We'd like to think that our lives are these cool action montages, but in reality it's mostly boring day-to-day poo poo like student loans and magical goddesses.

Except for the part where Rothfuss intentionally skips a cool action montage to dive right back in to student loans.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neila Nuruodo posted:

"It's supposed to be boring" isn't a very good defense.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I think the "it's realistic" defense stops working when an immortal sex goddess's mind is blown by the main character's virgin sexual prowess.

(I say this as someone who actually liked the series up until about halfway through WMF.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really like WMF except for the last half of the book. And sort of the first quarter. Vintas was really interesting and I enjoyed the hunt for the bandits. Then he got sex romped for like 500 pages and it fell completely apart and the 3 interesting paragraphs in the entire ordeal are about a future seeing malevolent tree. It could have summed up in like 2 chapters with a time skip. Same with the Adem, the only neat thing with the sex ninjas is the naming process when we find out he has some really bad meaning real name and names his sword something more to what its true name is.

The third book is hopefully gonna start with a bang and just keep sprinting to the finish. He needs to rescue princesses, and fight burrow kings, and kill a king. I wouldn't have any problem reading 1000 pages of book as long as its somewhat interesting, but my eyes would glaze over during the Adem and Felurian(sp?) sections.

SO let's talk about what king he's gonna kill. Most people are thinking its gonna be Ambrose somehow, but I like the idea that it could be Sim. Sim is minor royalty, does poetry, and would be a way better twist than generic bad guy douche.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

I really like WMF except for the last half of the book. And sort of the first quarter. Vintas was really interesting and I enjoyed the hunt for the bandits. Then he got sex romped for like 500 pages and it fell completely apart and the 3 interesting paragraphs in the entire ordeal are about a future seeing malevolent tree. It could have summed up in like 2 chapters with a time skip. Same with the Adem, the only neat thing with the sex ninjas is the naming process when we find out he has some really bad meaning real name and names his sword something more to what its true name is.

The third book is hopefully gonna start with a bang and just keep sprinting to the finish. He needs to rescue princesses, and fight burrow kings, and kill a king. I wouldn't have any problem reading 1000 pages of book as long as its somewhat interesting, but my eyes would glaze over during the Adem and Felurian(sp?) sections.

SO let's talk about what king he's gonna kill. Most people are thinking its gonna be Ambrose somehow, but I like the idea that it could be Sim. Sim is minor royalty, does poetry, and would be a way better twist than generic bad guy douche.

Could you go into the sex ninjas more? Heard this a few times from other goons. Did they use sex as a weapon or something, or were they just a buncha nympho assassins lol

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

esn2500 posted:

Could you go into the sex ninjas more? Heard this a few times from other goons. Did they use sex as a weapon or something, or were they just a buncha nympho assassins lol
More the latter. This bit (kindle reports it as pages 774 and 777) probably sums it up as well as anything:

quote:

She sighed. “Kvothe, you need to remember. You come from a barbarous place. Much of what you grew up thinking is quite wrongheaded and foolish. None of it as much as the strange customs you barbarians have built around your sexplay.”
“Vashet,” I said. “I …”
She cut me off with a sharp gesture. “Whatever you are about to say, I have doubtless heard before from my poet king. But there are only so many hours of light in the day. So I ask you this: are you desirous of sex?”
I gave a helpless shrug, knowing it would be pointless to deny it.
“Would you like to have sex with me?”
I could still smell her. At that moment, I wanted it more than anything. “Yes.”
“Are you free of disease?” she asked seriously.
I nodded, too off balance to be startled by the frankness of the question.
“Very well then. If I remember correctly, there is a nice patch of moss out of the wind not too far from here.” She began to walk up a nearby hill, her fingers working the buckle that fastened her sword’s scabbard over her shoulder. “Come with me.”
THE DAYS PASSED QUICKLY, as days tend to do when there is much to fill them. Vashet continued to teach me, and I turned the whole of my attention toward being a clever and attentive student.
Our amorous encounters continued, punctuating my training. I never initiated them directly, but Vashet could tell when I was unproductively distracted and was quick to pull me down into the bushes. “In order to clear your foolish barbarian head,” as she said.
So his ninja teacher is also boning him regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ulmont posted:

More the latter. This bit (kindle reports it as pages 774 and 777) probably sums it up as well as anything:

So his ninja teacher is also boning him regularly.

Yup, then he starts boning the hotter, smaller, deadlier ninja girl once his training is drawing to a close. Also, if they get pregnant thats not the guys fault in their culture. Also, they don't like music, but he changes at least one of their minds because he's so good at it. Also, their leader respects him for his cleverness. Also, he passes one of their hardest tests and says the most cleverest answer to their final test question because he's awesome. All but one of them love him being around and respect him. Kvothe rules the sex ninjas in everything but combat.

• Locked thread