Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I got an autographed copy for Christmas. I didn't start it because I'm tired of fantasy series not being finished but hearing this I might not start at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ambitious Spider posted:

I got an autographed copy for Christmas. I didn't start it because I'm tired of fantasy series not being finished but hearing this I might not start at all

I am having the alternate experience and want to crack open my copy just to see how long I can stand it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

When I was a kid one of my uncles got me a couple of books from the Barf-O-Rama series. The books are so loving file but when I was in 3rd grade they were super edgy and gross.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I am having the alternate experience and want to crack open my copy just to see how long I can stand it.
Did I mention that before he had the best sex in the entire world because he's just that good he was a virgin? Never even touched a titty, then suddenly he's getting into the strangest strange ever and coming out on top.

Did I also mention that this book is 994 pages and a whole lot of that is Kvothe worrying about his finances? I swear the whole first 1/3 of the book is him schlepping around campus and thinking about the money he doesn't have. He moons over this one girl he can't have, while every other woman in the book is secretly into him but he just doesn't realise it.

If Rothfuss spins around with book 3 and says "surprise, Kvothe is totally full of poo poo and is just kind of a loser blowhard" then I will do a total 180 on these books. The whole gimmick is that he's like 30 and telling his story back to a random bard-scribe-dude, so it's possible but I don't think it's very likely.

There are actually pretty good aspects of it; Rothfuss writes very nice prose, and the world and the magic are pretty interesting. In the first book, the good things overpower the bad. In the second book, they take a backseat to terrible sex scenes and author wish fulfillment. Rothfuss kinda galls me, because he's clearly talented, but he really needs a loving editor to slap him around and say "this does not belong in the book." Cut 80% of the campus poo poo and 100% of the weird sex, then cut the Nice Guy bullshit. It's 994 pages, so it's not like it was gonna be too short. Actually do something with the cool plot arcs with the Chandrian and the weird present-day horror movie poo poo that's going on while Kvothe narrates. It's frustrating that so much good poo poo gets set up, then totally ignored for more Kvothe being sad that girls don't like him.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

U.T. Raptor posted:

Crichton's books are mostly pretty terrible aside from Jurassic Park and maybe Congo (all of them are basically "Michael Crichton learned about a thing, here's a novel about his opinion on it"), and got worse over time. And then you get weirdly petty things like him depicting a real-life critic as a small-dicked pedophile in one of his last books.

This but unironically. It's basically generic grimdark nihilism written by a creepy old man.

was it crichton who made one of his critics a pedohile in his novel

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

U.T. Raptor posted:

Michael Crichton...depicting a real-life critic as a small-dicked pedophile in one of his last books.

Hogge Wild posted:

was it crichton who made one of his critics a pedohile in his novel

Did you even read the post you were replying to.

When it comes to popular authors Crichton may have been a nutjob and King may have ended a book dedicated to his son with a preteen sewer gangbang, but nobody can touch Dean Koontz's creepy love affair with golden retrievers.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

lol sorry, i've been 24 hours awake

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

When it comes to popular authors Crichton may have been a nutjob and King may have ended a book dedicated to his son with a preteen sewer gangbang, but nobody can touch Dean Koontz's creepy love affair with golden retrievers.
Ahaha Koontz is great. I reread The Taking recently, and there's a huge amount of far-right subtext in there that I missed the first time. Characters are constantly going "it's the end of the world and it's not global warming at all! Bet those atheist scientists are feeling silly right about now."

At one point they're driving along in a huge gas-guzzling SUV, and they manage to escape some bad poo poo. The narrator then goes "man, imagine if we'd been in a prius lol liberals are terrible."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sleeveless posted:

Now that's just an outright lie.

The preteen sewer gangbang was halfway through the book, get it right.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hogge Wild posted:

lol sorry, i've been 24 hours awake

It's OK, it's so ridiculous that it's worth pointing out twice.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Ahaha Koontz is great. I reread The Taking recently, and there's a huge amount of far-right subtext in there that I missed the first time. Characters are constantly going "it's the end of the world and it's not global warming at all! Bet those atheist scientists are feeling silly right about now."

At one point they're driving along in a huge gas-guzzling SUV, and they manage to escape some bad poo poo. The narrator then goes "man, imagine if we'd been in a prius lol liberals are terrible."

Pretty much every Dean Koontz novel is about a stoic manly-man solving problems with guns. Time-traveling Nazis? Genetically-engineered bioweapons? Satanists committing mass murder with the help of the spirit world? Just shoot them a whole bunch!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Sleeveless posted:

Time-traveling Nazis? Genetically-engineered bioweapons? Satanists committing mass murder with the help of the spirit world? Just shoot them a whole bunch!

I fail to see how guns aren't the solutions to those problems.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
maybe the worst book i've ever read was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_the_Sea

every woman with lines gets raped, the protagonist is a mary sue, when the protagonist sees some medieval thing the author drop a wikipedia article about it and the book is full of historical inaccuracies

it's not so bad that's it's good, it's just very bad

i have no idea why italians and spaniards have given it some awards, maybe they are just so corrupted

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A friend of mine who has recommended multiple nerdbooks to me that I enjoyed very much has also talked about the Kingkiller series; I've stayed away from it because the summary on the back cover made the protagonist seem like a huge cringeworthy Mary Sue. Glad to know my Sue senses are still sharp :)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every Dean Koontz novel is about a stoic manly-man solving problems with guns. Time-traveling Nazis? Genetically-engineered bioweapons? Satanists committing mass murder with the help of the spirit world? Just shoot them a whole bunch!
Well, the Taking is a little bit different from that.

It's the biblical apocalypse, except demons are actually aliens. The book ends because the Good Christians kept their faith and resisted the devil, and after all the heathens and liberals have been abducted/dragged to hell, our protagonists are left to recreate the world the right way. They never actually really fight back, they just kinda survive thanks to their faith.

And yes, there is a gratuitous golden labrador.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ambitious Spider posted:

The funniest part of the whole thing is that before the first book came out the author was stating that he had all three books already written. Shockingly enough the series isn't done. First book was 07, second book was 11 and the third book hasn't actually come out yet.

There was also a whole thing about how the main character's story involved him going to a university, getting kicked out and then doing a whole bunch of other stuff. Except he only got kicked out of the university at the very end of the second book. Which means its going to run longer than three books or a whole bunch of stuff is getting crammed into the third one.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Now that's just an outright lie.

The preteen sewer gangbang was halfway through the book, get it right.

It is the next to last major event in the book, but it's at the end of the kid part of the story.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

everyone posted:

RAPE

Can anyone explain why rape pops up to often in bad genre fiction to a clueless idiot? :froggonk:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Klaus88 posted:

Can anyone explain why rape pops up to often in bad genre fiction to a clueless idiot? :froggonk:

It's a cheap and easy way to motivate a male character, establish a villain, and/or give the female character depth.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Klaus88 posted:

It's a cheap shock. You don't have to be good at writing to make people think that a rape is evil or scary so hack writers use it the way hack horror uses jump scares.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

There's a 70 page sex scene in the second book. Kvothe (the protagonist, and really obviously an idealised version of the author) stumbles into the realm of the queen of the sex faeries, who is so good at sex that it drives men insane. At one point, in a reflecting pool, Kvothe sees a vision of the girl he likes. She's being beaten by her boyfriend, who is a MEAN JOCK. Kvothe basically goes "bitch deserved it for not dating me I'm such a nice guy" then goes back to sticking it in the queen of the sex fairies. He spends 1000 years in her sexy realm having awesome sex with her, then she says "oh my god you're so good! You're the best at sex ever, Kvothe!" and while she's passed out from gettin' hosed good, he escapes the fae realm.

After that, he goes north to the realm of the sex samurai, who teach him the art of war and also free love.

He's like 15.

What really drives me crazy about the sex fairy is that she is in fact a monster who rapes people braindead. Everybody (except Kvothe, because he's special) who goes off with her comes back a drooling mess forever, and when she uses her sex magic on him, it's explicitly compared to a time when he was living on the streets and some older kids tried to assault him. Then he does some kind of magic thing and she becomes a harmless pixie dream girl. He doesn't do anything to stop her from preying on anybody else because if there wasn't a fairy around to magically sexually assault and mentally break people, the world would be less special.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

mycot posted:

How does that even work? What's the special Warrior Culture that's so much better than the good guys? Ninjas?
I actually want to know the answer to this question.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Thinky Whale posted:

What really drives me crazy about the sex fairy is that she is in fact a monster who rapes people braindead. Everybody (except Kvothe, because he's special) who goes off with her comes back a drooling mess forever, and when she uses her sex magic on him, it's explicitly compared to a time when he was living on the streets and some older kids tried to assault him. Then he does some kind of magic thing and she becomes a harmless pixie dream girl. He doesn't do anything to stop her from preying on anybody else because if there wasn't a fairy around to magically sexually assault and mentally break people, the world would be less special.
Seriously the Wise Man's Fear is like this horrendous fractal of broken hopes and terrible nightmares that gets progressively more terrible the more you think about it after you put it down.

I mean, the most terrible thing about the series is that people defend it but that Rothfuss is now churning out side-novels about his stapled-on non-characters whilst saying "who knows when I'll publish the third one" is so gross. He never had this loving series finished, he has no idea what he's doing and I honestly think I know how the Bad Thread got started about GRRM now I've jumped on a series that spiralled into poo poo at the ground floor.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Funny thing is for me the best part of that book was the scrounging for money. It's the most believable part that a nobody from nowhere would have to constantly bust his rear end to make rent/pay tuition. It was far more interesting then the sex fairy or the dragon slaying. Yet everyone else I know hates those parts of the book.

Of course he then gets a king to pay his tuition and invents a machine that everyone in the world wants so he'll always have a huge income.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

It's a cheap shock. You don't have to be good at writing to make people think that a rape is evil or scary so hack writers use it the way hack horror uses jump scares.

A lot of these writers also have issues with women and sex in general, as can be seen by how graphic a lot of the depictions are and how they often use it to 'punish' a woman for doing something wrong.

There's a lot of reprehensible actions to establish a villain and make people feel for protagonists, but the constant jump to rape and then writing it in a sexually titillating manner speaks to how hosed up some writers are.

Speaking of, Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card is the biggest garbage fire I've ever read by a writer who is basically a walking garbage fire himself. You can kind of overlook how many naked young boys are in Ender's Game because it's very tangential and the book is at least pretty competent. This poo poo, though, is wall to wall boy abductions, pedophiles, pedophile red herrings, and fake out pedophile rape/murder twists that will make you question what the gently caress is up with Card. He mentions in the forward that this started as a Halloween horror story he came up with after having his son.

Card's issues become real clear when you read the adaptation of Hamlet he did a few years ago, which makes Hamlet's father a pedophile that turned his son gay by raping him and has come back as a ghost to drag his son to gay hell. Yep.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Anne McCaffrey who wrote The Dragoriders of Pern also supported the notion that men turn gay if you rape them.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Hogge Wild posted:

Anne McCaffrey who wrote The Dragoriders of Pern also supported the notion that men turn gay if you rape them.

also that being a bottom inherently makes you flamboyant, in a clear cause-and-effect relationship

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Practical Demon posted:

Orson Scott Card

my fav thing is OSC being accused of writing Ender's Game as :godwin: Hitler apologia http://peachfront.diaryland.com/enderhitlte.html

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Saddest Rhino posted:

my fav thing is OSC being accused of writing Ender's Game as :godwin: Hitler apologia http://peachfront.diaryland.com/enderhitlte.html

I never took it that seriously, but it's fun to spread around given what an absolute cock OSC is.

Sort of like how that essay about Harry Potter being Calvinist is going to get a lot more play if JK Rowling suddenly joins one of Britain's white supremacist fascist parties.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
John Kessel has a much more magnificent and relevant takedown of Ender's Game that I've already linked: Creating the Innocent Killer. If you ever liked the book, reading this will make you a better person (I'm speaking from experience).

John Kessel posted:

The abused child, when grown and given the power to act out his own suppressed rage, is unable to identify with the objects of his rage. In extreme cases, as Miller says about convicted child abusers,“Compulsively and without qualms, they inflicted the same suffering on [others] as they had been subjected to themselves.” (21) Yet to the abuser it still feels as if he is being abused, as if the sacrifice is his, and the effects of his actions on others take a secondary place to the emotions he feels himself.

This, I fear, is the appeal of Ender’s Game: it models this scenario precisely and absolves the child of any doubt that his actions in response to such treatment are questionable. It offers revenge without guilt. If you ever as a child felt unloved, if you ever feared that at some level you might deserve any abuse you suffered, Ender’s story tells you that you do not. In your soul, you are good. You are specially gifted, and better than anyone else. Your mistreatment is the evidence of your gifts. You are morally superior. Your turn will come, and then you may severely punish others, yet remain blameless. You are the hero.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do any of these "Ender = Hitler :hitler:" criticism account for the fact that Ender doesn't in fact feel like the buggers deserved what they got, suffers intense guilt, and makes sure that he is vilified by everyone else for what he's done? As someone who has read several Card books I'm 100% able to cope with the idea that he is a terrible person (he is), I'm just curious.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I only read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow back in school. The former was required reading, and I liked it at the time. Because of that, I hunted down a copy of the latter, and holy poo poo, even back then I thought it was bad. The whole thing read like wierd Mary Sue fanfic. It brought up every thing Ender did, and then had Bean do it better. Ender breaks the game? Bean is smart enough not to play it. Bean discovers the simulation at the end isn't actually a simulation and doesn't tell anyone because he knows what will happen. The only way he is supposed to be worse is that he isn't as good with people, I guess?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Do any of these "Ender = Hitler :hitler:" criticism account for the fact that Ender doesn't in fact feel like the buggers deserved what they got, suffers intense guilt, and makes sure that he is vilified by everyone else for what he's done? As someone who has read several Card books I'm 100% able to cope with the idea that he is a terrible person (he is), I'm just curious.

Ender is Hitler-as-Christ.

John Kessel posted:

Thus, Ender’s taking on guilt for the extermination of the buggers at the end of Ender’s Game, and in Speaker for the Dead, is in no way a repudiation of his earlier violence, which is still viewed as justified, but rather a demonstration of the “magnitude of spirit” Graff praised him for earlier. Ender exterminates an alien race, gets credit for saving the human race, gets credit for feeling bad about it, and gets credit for expiating sins which he did not commit. First he sacrifices himself emotionally in order to save the human race physically, and then after the buggers are dead he sacrifices himself morally so that others may feel themselves innocent. History records him as a monster. In reality, the monster is a savior.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
At the end of the day Ender's Game is a book about how in the future being good at video games and laser tag make you important and cool and better than everybody else and also all the people who make fun of you for doing those things are actually just jealous of how awesome you are. It's no surprise that it was so acclaimed by children and manchildren regardless of the novel's actual quality.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man, I forgot to bring my lotion, don't hold a circlejerk without me!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Hogge Wild posted:

Also the early books in that series were pretty rapey in general.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Ender's Game is kind of weird morally when you scratch the surface, and it is wish fulfillment for nerds, but almost every genre novel ever fits those criteria. It's not the worst thing though, especially compared to literally everything else Card has ever written. Another great example is Wyrms, which is primarily about a fifteen year old girl's desire to gently caress a giant worm creature. At the very least, it breaks the tradition of Card's young boy obsession.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Practical Demon posted:

It's not the worst thing though, especially compared to literally everything else Card has ever written.

Like, for example The Tales of Alvin Maker!

I read Seventh Son, the first book in this series, when I was in college. I enjoyed the poo poo out of it and attempted to read the rest of it, only to find that each book was an order of magnitude worse than the one before and by book 3 or 4 they were complete unreadable trash.

As an added bonus, the covers of each book got more and more homoerotic for no particular reason, making me feel extra awkward carrying them up to the register at the bookstore :v:

book 1, looks pretty good :thumbsup:

book 2, uh okay that little boy should be wearing some more clothes but I guess it's supposed to be a Native American thing or whatever

Book 3. Uh, no, bookstore cashier girl, this is not porn. That glistening hairless guy is probably wearing pants and the thing in front of him is just glowing flying metal. He's a magic blacksmith, you see. Stop judging me and just take my $7.99.

I don't remember the books clearly enough for a true effortpost, but basically the premise of the series is an alternate-reality early-19th-century America in a world where folktales and folk magic are real, which was a cool idea, but as the series went on the protagonist Alvin became a clearer and clearer Jesus analogy and hugely blatant Mary Sue, and the nebulous group of antagonists (led explicitly by Satan) got more and more cartoon-villain evil until I pretty much didn't care what happened to anyone in the storyline anymore. For example, the main antagonist in book 1 is a local town preacher who is convinced he's receiving messages from God when really they're from Satan; he is a complex and interesting villain who is clearly motivated to do good but misguided by outside forces. In book 3 or 4 (can't recall which exactly) this character meets a slaveowner and rapes some slaves with him as they high-five and agree that being evil is the loving poo poo. Yeah. Suffice to say, I was not able to finish reading this series.

loquacius has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Jul 20, 2015

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it's called Red Prophet and it has stereotype Native Americans on it wow

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Practical Demon posted:

Speaking of, Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card is the biggest garbage fire I've ever read by a writer who is basically a walking garbage fire himself. You can kind of overlook how many naked young boys are in Ender's Game because it's very tangential and the book is at least pretty competent. This poo poo, though, is wall to wall boy abductions, pedophiles, pedophile red herrings, and fake out pedophile rape/murder twists that will make you question what the gently caress is up with Card. He mentions in the forward that this started as a Halloween horror story he came up with after having his son.

I tried to read this one in high school and got 40, maybe 50, pages in before I decided it was a stinking tire fire. I only remember three things about it:

* The oh-so-perfect protagonist family is Mormon, because of course they are
* The eldest son of the protagonist, who I suspect is the one who eventually gets PEDOPHILE'D!, has his amazing wunderkind genius demonstrated by correcting an uppity teacher about the plural of "octopus"
* The potential babysitter who immediately sets off red flags to the dad is a dude who plays D&D with a character named "Saladin Gallowglass," who is apparently Chaotic Good, because the Mormon dad gets a line about "how could you be chaotic and also good?"

I never even got to the gay rape pedostravaganza or whatever and this book still irritated the poo poo out of me. How did anybody finish it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Antivehicular posted:

I never even got to the gay rape pedostravaganza or whatever and this book still irritated the poo poo out of me. How did anybody finish it?

I can't tell you how I finished it, but...

The main kid is killed toward the last third of the book, but you don't know till the very end because he comes back as a GHOST to help solve his murder and the rape and murders of all the other boys in town. I guess it had to be a Halloween story some how, and not just an excuse for Card to write pedophile hysteria for an entire novel.

The weirdo babysitter is the red herring who is ALSO a pedophile, but only gets as far as taking the family's infant girl to change her diaper and talking about smooth skin that smells like honey. He apologizes by saying he only wanted to look, and would never touch 'cause he's not some pervert or anything.'

There's also a character really interested in Mormonism because he's nuts and really fixates on the whole "you get to be best friends with Jesus and create your own planet in Heaven" thing.He ends up naked on the family's lawn yelling about being God incarnate.

Poor Miserable Gurgi has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Jul 20, 2015