Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Years will be referred to in BC (Before Cascade) and AD (After Descend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is a *lot* more than I knew before about the tech; thanks. Would I be right in thinking that you could release four .swfs (split into logical boundaries as far as plot goes) and then glue them together afterward?

Yeah, you can use a flash wrapper that will call other flash files and play them in sequence, I think you can set it to preload all the parts too.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is a *lot* more than I knew before about the tech; thanks. Would I be right in thinking that you could release four .swfs (split into logical boundaries as far as plot goes) and then glue them together afterward?

I think it would be a lot more difficult if you didn't plan it out that way in the first place, but yes, most likely.
When we were all still downloading Cascade because of the Great Internet Crash of 2011 I downloaded basically the exact thing that it runs now, except tied to run based off of a folder on my computer. Looking at the .swf on MSPA now, it's mostly the same. It loads segment 1, then moves on to 2, 3, 4, and 5, with the progress bar at the bottom being tied to the total filesize of all of them. They're actually all there at all times, stacked on top of each other, but set to not be visible, and paused. When a segment reaches the end, it triggers a function that sets the next one visible and playing, and sets itself to not visible and paused, which is why the music has to stop briefly, since there'd be a noticeable lag between segments. (this is also why cascade the song and cascade the flash are different lengths)
Theoretically you could string together any flashes you wanted like this, but you'd have to add actionscript to all the ones you were stringing to allow the preloader flash to know when they're finished playing.

The segments and preloader are all still hosted on newgrounds, and you can look at them individually. Once it loads you have to click play twice, due to the preloader flash not being there to tell it to go but they still work.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

jetz0r posted:

Far in the post-homestuck future, truely dedicated disciples will engage in true-reads. In which they read homestuck strips on the same schedule as the strips were originally released. There are even special servers setup to simulate Cascade's release crashing every site it was hosted on.

While it won't be the first read for any of those disciples, it will give them a glimpse of what it was like for those living in the early Husstime.

You joke, but a friend of mine watches Netflix shows he hasn't seen before on a one-episode-a-week schedule to simulate following it on T.V., he says the pacing works better that way. I could believe someone building a "relive Homestuck" thing.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Dolash posted:

You joke, but a friend of mine watches Netflix shows he hasn't seen before on a one-episode-a-week schedule to simulate following it on T.V., he says the pacing works better that way. I could believe someone building a "relive Homestuck" thing.

The Gigapause will be the test that separates the true disciple from the mere dilettante.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Would Paradox Space play when Homestuck goes on hiatus?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

This topic will be the cause of many a great schism.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Burkion posted:

I'm sure Paradox Space book sales have dipped by now so... yes.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I approve of this turn of events.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

This quote is apt:

Roxy posted:

why is everything always so wonderful

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
:catstare:
That just happened. Also not a fan of how thirsty Jasper was, so this is ok.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh My God Yes

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Oh gently caress no.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

this is the new best character

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That certainly is a thing. A flashy flashy thing.

e: Also, I SAID he wasn't dead.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 20, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I came in here to post a thing but then people were talking about updates so I read the update and I think I'm going to leave again and stare contemplatively at the sea.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
There are no reactions to this that are not also illegal. The only recourse is to pretend this didn't happen

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm glad dave sprite is, for all intents and purposes, dead. He would have wanted it that way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

quote:

DAVEPETASPRITE^2: B33 < claw claw meowtherfuckers!!!

Yessssssssss. :allears:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So Tavrosprite is now a walking time bomb and anybody who touches him gets sucked in.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So Tavrosprite is now a walking time bomb and anybody who touches him gets sucked in.

Tavrosprite is double prototyped!

Davepeta also seems to have manifested some Derse jammies. But why?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Tenebrais posted:

Davepeta also seems to have manifested some Derse jammies. But why?

Nepeta and Dave were both Derse dreamers? That's all I can think of.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Ummm.

Noooo? No?

Yeeeessss. YES.

:getin: :unsmigghh:

Edit: rosesprite was alright but I am actually pretty excited for what davesprite is going to do. And I'm going to hope that not tooooo much nepeta is present...

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 20, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think this may be the first time I've actually hated an update. Urgh, gently caress this. Why do it? Why pointlessly screw over 3 characters for this? Why are we even wasting time on this?

Goddamn it it's awful to look at, absolutely seizure-inducing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, that just...happened.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

red plastic cup posted:

Nepeta and Dave were both Derse dreamers? That's all I can think of.

Jasprose has them too, so it seems to be something to do with how the sprites work. I'm not sure what it means, though, if it can even mean anything.

Anyway, as far as I can tell we have hit Peak Sprite and no more prototypings can occur. Unless some turn up from the trolls' session or something.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nephthys posted:

Why are we even wasting time on this?

Yes because things that have seemed inconsequential have never ever turned out to actually be very important, that's never happened

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I think this may be the first time I've actually hated an update. Urgh, gently caress this. Why do it? Why pointlessly screw over 3 characters for this? Why are we even wasting time on this?

Goddamn it it's awful to look at, absolutely seizure-inducing.

Also because the sprites were, or at least Vriska thought them to be, back-ups in case someone dies a couple times. They've been filled up with pointless garbage now so that's one less lifeline.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that this is the Davesprite from the reconned timeline and not Davesprite prime who is still unaccounted for.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that this is the Davesprite from the reconned timeline and not Davesprite prime who is still unaccounted for.
I think he was on the planet with new timeline John when it blew up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rorus Raz posted:

I think he was on the planet with new timeline John when it blew up.

Yes, but he didn't blow up with John. This Davesprite mentions being on John's planet and was then swept away by a gust of wind, Davesprite prime was last seen on Dirk's planet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm drawing an utter blank. Who's Tavros's second prototype? And, man, we thought *Dirk* had a lot of splintered selves.

Tumblr is pointing out that the red quadrant Karkat has filled seems very likely to be Dave.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm drawing an utter blank. Who's Tavros's second prototype?
Gcat

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tumblr is pointing out that the red quadrant Karkat has filled seems very likely to be Dave.

Boy, Tumblr sure is quick on the uptake

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Jia posted:

Yes because things that have seemed inconsequential have never ever turned out to actually be very important, that's never happened

I didn't mean it like that. We're about to go into the final battle. Hussies already stretched out the wait with a bunch of stuff. A lot of it was great and plot-relevant, but you can only tread water for so long until it gets tired. Adding yet another sidestory about yet another new sprite combination just feels like wasting time with a bunch of meandering bullshit.

Especially given that a) this is the payoff to Davesprite? Really? and b) this is the payoff to bringing Nepeta back? Really?

Mazerunner posted:

Also because the sprites were, or at least Vriska thought them to be, back-ups in case someone dies a couple times. They've been filled up with pointless garbage now so that's one less lifeline.

Really could have been done that without this. Hell, prototyping Nepeta pretty much nixed that idea completely already.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 20, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

obviously, yes, who else would it even be?? I mean there's the slight possibility Jasprose was exaggerating a bit to push Nepeta away from Karkat but even still that's an 'in everything but name' relationship.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Two very hilarious things are yet to come out of this:

Davepetasprite reunites with Karkat
Davepetasprite reunites with Jade

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yes, but he didn't blow up with John. This Davesprite mentions being on John's planet and was then swept away by a gust of wind, Davesprite prime was last seen on Dirk's planet.

This is Davesprite Prime. He didn't just get swept up in some wind, he was on the planet John zapped into the new timeline.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I could accept Jasprose as suitably funny but this just leaves me feeling bad for Dave and Nepeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

obviously, yes, who else would it even be?? I mean there's the slight possibility Jasprose was exaggerating a bit to push Nepeta away from Karkat but even still that's an 'in everything but name' relationship.

In that case, when was he "very controlling of his matesprit"? As far as we know he's never had one.