Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

drat, and I had just updated my mod's culture files too.

:rip: I had to update Plus' culture files for it so I know your pain. It's a pretty easy regular expression search-replace if you're using Notepad++ (and if you're a Paradox modder who isn't, I can only assume you're on Linux or a Mac or are otherwise a masochist.)

code:
Find: graphical_culture = ([a-zA-Z]+)\s+second_graphical_culture = ([a-zA-Z]+)
Replace: graphical_cultures = { \1 \2 }

Find: graphical_culture = ([a-zA-Z]+)\s
Replace: graphical_cultures = { \1 } 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, have sky burials for Zoroastrian characters always been in the game, or is that new with Horse Lords? It's a neat addition either way.

Its for Tengri as well.

Funky Valentine posted:

Anyone have a good startup guide for playing as nomads?

Snipe Nomad provinces from weaker neighbours while growing your horde and manpower then take and pillage tribals and move onto Persian, Tarim and Caucasian developed areas, always grow your horde.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dear god I'm never playing non-1066 British Isles after this... I formed Ireland in like 20 years, converted to Fraticelli since Catholicism is so weak in this start, etc... The problem is the pretty borders. All of these English, Pictish, Welsh, and Breton dukes have intermarried and you'll have Duke A who owns single counties in about 8 different duchies, so even using Holy War it's conquering one ugly province at a time.

I'm going to have to unite the entire loving Isles before I'll have anything resembling pretty borders :sigh:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Funky Valentine posted:

Anyone have a good startup guide for playing as nomads?

First, I grab three concubines instead of a wife. There probably won't be anyone prestigious enough to marry without losing all of your prestige, and nubile concubines grant you a goodly amount of monthly prestige. I like to raid with my first 500 troops, and try to bait an equal-sized nomad into marching into my cavalry stack with his. The key to this is having as many advantages as you can, so try and lure them into defensive terrain or over a river, and promote commanders if you don't have any high-martial commanders. Once you chase them down and slaughter them, you can easily take their land.

More land will let your manpower grow faster, so convert those into additional cavalry hordes. You won't have a ton of gold yet, so light cav hordes are just fine. You want a numerical advantage more than anything else right now. After you capture some land, your clans will start wanting a chunk of it. If you're just a single clan, right click on yourself to split clan and start assigning new land to the vassal it generated by granting additional landed titles. If you only have one additional clan, I recommend you form a blood blond with them ASAP. If you have two clans, you can form one blood bond and send your diplomancer to improve relations with the other.

The fastest way to get technology is to capture feudal or tribal land and pillage it. This will cause revolts, so make sure to leave some troops hanging around recently pillaged areas. You have some amazing casus bellis, so if you're not feeling mongoland any more, feel free to declare a kingdom-targeting war against India. They won't be able to compete with your massive amounts of light cavalry, so you can take their land and turn it into incredible amounts of gold and technology with ease.

The only succession type for hordes is prestige-based. You want your son to be more prestigious than your other clan leaders, so make sure to have 500 manpower saved up by the time he turns 16. You can then send him away as a mercenary (and send him extra gold to tip the odds) where he'll generation additional prestige, hopefully making him inherit. If you die before you have an of-age son, your khaganate title will pass to one of your clan leaders.

Tips:
You can generate additional prestige by moving your capital to any religion's holy site (+1 prestige/month).
Capture land on the silk road, skill up your trade practices technology and build yams. If you have multiple silk-road counties adjacent to eachother, you can build a string of trade posts along the route to generate additional income. Don't forget to upgrade your trade posts.
The only two military technologies you need are cavalry and siege. The only cultural technology you need is majesty.
The tengri religion grants a 30% bonus to light cavalry. This is really loving handy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rumda posted:

Its for Tengri as well.

I don't have Horse Lords yet, is it only for Zoroastrians and Tengri? Because it should be a Buddhist thing.

Also, is there a way to get just the Cuman portrait pack? I don't really get the other graphic and sound packs, and getting Horse Lords and the Content Pack is just a bit more than I'd really like to spend.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Rumda posted:

Its for Tengri as well.

Pretty sure it's cultural. My Mongols are still doing it even though they're Buddhist now, and they were doing it during their brief flirtation with Hinduism.

My protip for nomads: you're nomads. It is easy as hell for you to pick up and move to anywhere within diplomacy distance - give away land to other clans until you unlock the not-enough-grazing-land CB, then pick your favourite neighbourhood within diplomatic distance and declare war, then revoke everything from your new vassals and ride out the rebellions as you demolish everything. I went from Siberia to India in two jumps using this, and turning the Indus Valley into the world's best pasture sure as poo poo beats getting into a bitter war of mutual destruction with my old neighbours over the least valuable real estate in Eurasia.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

catlord posted:

I don't have Horse Lords yet, is it only for Zoroastrians and Tengri? Because it should be a Buddhist thing.

Also, is there a way to get just the Cuman portrait pack? I don't really get the other graphic and sound packs, and getting Horse Lords and the Content Pack is just a bit more than I'd really like to spend.

I've only had an hour or so to play with this myself, but my impression is you start as a Zoroastrian heresy (Manachian) or Tengri, but you can pretty much flip to any religion.

In fact, it seems to me sending sons off as mercenaries makes them universally convert to a random religion off a table.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

In fact, it seems to me sending sons off as mercenaries makes them universally convert to a random religion off a table.

I think you just got unlucky, I'm a couple centuries into my current game and I've only seen it happen to one of my vassal clans' heirs.

It's really easy to religion-flip as nomads, since all your land without holdings are automatically the same culture and religion as your character and you can adopt the religion of your wife or concubines. I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure that the easiest way to become Saoshyant now will be to start as a nomad.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
When a nomadic empire abandons a province, what factors are taken in consideration when the game decides who gets the province? For example, when there are two large states nearby who could take over?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crusades against heretic lieges are so funny. The Knights Hospitallier accepted the Pope's call to arms on their own, but because about 10% of my vassals and all of the King of West Francia's vassals are still Catholic, they refuse to fight almost every battle since the 'leader' isn't a heretic. Also, I slew a cardinal in personal combat. I should totally get piety for that.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Merdifex posted:

When a nomadic empire abandons a province, what factors are taken in consideration when the game decides who gets the province? For example, when there are two large states nearby who could take over?

What do you mean by 'abandons'?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Tehan posted:

What do you mean by 'abandons'?

You can select any county under your control (without holdings) and abandon it, and some nearby independent state gets it.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

How the gently caress did this happen? :psyduck: The Magyars lost the initial war, but otherwise I'm not sure how they became A) Muslim and B) Kings of Germany.

EDIT: And for some reason the pope called a crusade for Jerusalem instead. :downs:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rumda posted:

Its for Tengri as well.
Specifically, it's for nomads of Tengri, Zoroastrian-group, or Indian-group religions.

It's slightly bugged right now, though. There's supposed to be another choice, to build a golden tomb for them, if their prestige was 2000 or above at death. Haven't looked deeply into why it isn't working yet, but I suspect it's checking after prestige is reset to 0 by dying.

Merdifex posted:

You can select any county under your control (without holdings) and abandon it, and some nearby independent state gets it.
Can't imagine why you ever would, though

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
I keep getting notices to try and draw up a mob to destroy a trade post, or leave it be.
Why would I ever do this, it's my trade post :v:

I think its firing the event for normal trade republic posts in your land as a feudal ruler, since it has boats in the event picture and all.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh of course, some guy on the Paradox forums is having a fit because the stupidly awful rape/torture mod where rape just made a woman kinda annoyed at you for a few months was taken down.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Merdifex posted:

Huh, I didn't realize that was a thing. Found it in the files:

A 'random_neighbor_province' who is not from the same realm gets it. The wiki confirms it's what it sounds like, it just picks a bordering province at random.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know if there's a way to like, change the color of a title. I want to stay Irish Green, but I formed Britannia instead of a custom empire because the costs are ridiculous.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Strudel Man posted:

Can't imagine why you ever would, though

Seriously? Receiving a population boost and simulating tribal migrations is more than worth abandoning some useless steppe province,

Tehan posted:

Huh, I didn't realize that was a thing. Found it in the files:

A 'random_neighbor_province' who is not from the same realm gets it. The wiki confirms it's what it sounds like, it just picks a bordering province at random.

Thanks. Here I was wondering whether Paradox put more though into than that. IMO it'd be a bit more realistic for another nomadic group to take to province rather than feudal Sogdians, for example, unless there's no choice.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ideally it'd be cool if all of the neighbors could claim it, including vassals if their liege doesn't. Then they all have a thunderdome over it.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I wish the Byzantines would give a poo poo about the Levant and lay off north Persia for a change.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Byzantium tends to do that if you roll back to Orthodox. I find if Iconoclast stays dominate they start blitzing up into the Balkans. It was actually interesting watching Constantine V in my latest game actually recreate his actual reign almost note for note in my last game.

Unfortunately the game runs like rear end for me nowadays even at day 1 so I'm done with CK2 until I get a new computer. When the game released I could run it at max speed a get decent results up to the final day. Now I'm getting 2 seconds per day now at day 1. :(

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

YouTuber posted:

Byzantium tends to do that if you roll back to Orthodox. I find if Iconoclast stays dominate they start blitzing up into the Balkans. It was actually interesting watching Constantine V in my latest game actually recreate his actual reign almost note for note in my last game.

This is a 1066 start.

Also, the forums seem divided on it, but I love the new music DLC.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Larry Parrish posted:

Is there a way to ransom my indirect vassal son from my direct vassal granddaughter. He's been in prison for like 15 years and I'd really like him to not die in prison.

If you take the intrigue focus you might be able to scheme him out?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Merdifex posted:

Seriously? Receiving a population boost and simulating tribal migrations is more than worth abandoning some useless steppe province,
Why wouldn't you just keep the steppe province? Or at worst, give it to your weakest clan?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Apparently satan banged my wife. The satan child then murdered her three siblings and also a nanny.

It's going to be one hell of a civil war when she inherits.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea what did it exactly, but my female ruler is not only a (fairly decent) general, but got the crusader trait.

I'm feudal, Fraticelli, and my succession laws are Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. Did they just change it so your ruler can always lead troops or something?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

I have no idea what did it exactly, but my female ruler is not only a (fairly decent) general, but got the crusader trait.

I'm feudal, Fraticelli, and my succession laws are Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. Did they just change it so your ruler can always lead troops or something?

Crusader being obtainable by women was a recent change in the Horse Lords patch. They also changed the whole way that troop commanders works so that only your ruler, your marshal, and anybody you give the new "commander" minor title can lead armies. It's possible that the "ruler leads armies" rule gets checked before gender laws or anything else, so maybe they can just always lead troops. Can you hand out your commander titles to women or make one a marshal?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Crusader being obtainable by women was a recent change in the Horse Lords patch. They also changed the whole way that troop commanders works so that only your ruler, your marshal, and anybody you give the new "commander" minor title can lead armies. It's possible that the "ruler leads armies" rule gets checked before gender laws or anything else, so maybe they can just always lead troops. Can you hand out your commander titles to women or make one a marshal?

No. That must be it. That's a good change though. I love doing the whole 'every ruler is a brilliant strategist who leads the army in every single battle' thing, and it always sucked to get female rulers because they usually couldn't lead armies.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

Apparently satan banged my wife. The satan child then murdered her three siblings and also a nanny.

I desperately want to be cucked by Satan.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the buzzing thing? Why do satan spawns double as buzzers?

My guess is it's relating to medieval mythology relating to Lord of the Flies demon stuff...? Or is that more modern than medieval?

That's one thing I never understood about the event.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the buzzing thing? Why do satan spawns double as buzzers?

My guess is it's relating to medieval mythology relating to Lord of the Flies demon stuff...? Or is that more modern than medieval?

That's one thing I never understood about the event.

No idea.

But now my ruler is a goddamn werewolf.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Beelzebub literally translates to "Lord of the Flies", if that helps.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Freudian posted:

Beelzebub literally translates to "Lord of the Flies", if that helps.

I've heard it was originally ancient Jewish slang meaning 'Baal is poo poo'.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I've been giving out titles exclusively to dynasty members ever since I reformed into feudalism...

About 30 of those allies are called into his current war versus an OPM shithead in Italy.

40k troops total holy gently caress

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Tercio posted:

I have the same question. The Mongols as the "Mongol Empire" under Genghis showed up at 1215 in my current game, but they're just sitting in the northeast corner of the map doing gently caress all.

Any thoughts on this? It's now 1240 and the Mongols have done absolutely nothing.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

My werewolf king just ate the daughter of a duke :stare:

edit: I thought this event chain was locked to nomadic rulers, but I'm playing as Poland. Are there two different wolf related event chains?

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 20, 2015

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Matrim posted:

The only succession type for hordes is prestige-based. You want your son to be more prestigious than your other clan leaders, so make sure to have 500 manpower saved up by the time he turns 16. You can then send him away as a mercenary (and send him extra gold to tip the odds) where he'll generation additional prestige, hopefully making him inherit. If you die before you have an of-age son, your khaganate title will pass to one of your clan leaders.

Note, if you actually ever want your children to be any good as mercenaries you should absolutely not let them loose with 500 manpower. Their mercenary troop size is 10% of your current available manpower, so that results in 50 men. The decision to increase the size of a mercenary company is only worth 5% each time taken too, so they will never get to a decent size. Hence why the mercenaries screen is so awful to navigate due to the million 50 men mercenary bands running around.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just had a crusade called for my title by the deposed Catholic Pope and not a single ruler showed up even though I'm busy fighting in my own crusade. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Gifting your merc son a bunch of gold so he hires men is a bad idea, like say 1000 gold. Once every month or so you will get a popup informing you of his decision to hire more men. I immediately regretted it, even if it meant my son had like 2000 men instead of 50.

• Locked thread