Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no XP blocking damage with armor...yet. It's an idea that's been floating around for at least a year now, who knows if WG will ever get to it.

P.S. congrats my StugIV-owning bros

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Merkava

On June 24th, 2006, Guy Kabili was ambushed. A 300 kilogram explosive flipped his tank, after which it was hit with three anti-tank rockets. Six of the seven men inside survived. Their saviour was the Merkava ("chariot") tank, created with the slogan "the most valuable part of a tank is the crew".

Development of a fortress on wheels

Israel Tal, the father of the Merkava, was a tanker, not an engineer. He commanded the Israeli 84th "Steel" tank division. Tal himself proposed the design of a domestic armoured vehicle after talks to purchase and produce British Chieftain and French AMX-30 tanks failed.

Relying on his rich combat experience and rejecting the need to rely on foreign partners, Israeli workers concentrated on creating a tank suited for local conditions and peculiarities. For instance, while Soviet designers had to deal with railroad standards when making new tanks, Israeli designers would be able to cover their potential theater of war with wheeled transport or using the tanks' own tracks.

Designers studied and compared several suspension systems from various countries, including captured Soviet vehicles, and decided that a spring suspension would work best. It was considered obsolete by this point, but resulted in superior resistance to mines and the ability to quickly swap out road wheels. The driver's observation device was tested in a wooden mockup mounted on a Jeep in areas of potential conflicts.

The Israeli version of the L7 105 mm rifled gun was used as the main weapon, due to its excellent reputation in combat. Later Merkava tanks received a 120 mm smoothbore gun.

The highest priority of the designers was the survival of the crew. To achieve this, the engine and transmission were placed in the front, and the crew and ammunition in the back, the most protected part. A rear hatch increased the chances of leaving a knocked out tank alive. Since the fighting compartment turned out to be very large, it could fit additional ammunition, infantry, or wounded. The Merkava served as a basis for a so called "tankbulance", vehicles with on-board medical equipment and doctors.

These new tanks were adopted into the Israeli army in 1979.

Practical application

The Merkava first saw battle in 1982 during a war in Lebanon. In early June, 200 of these tanks took part in "Operation Peace for Galilee". However, the first battle where they were supposed to engage Syrian T-72s never happened. There are many colourful stories about the slaughter of T-72s by Israeli tanks, but the truth is that the Merkavas simply didn't make it in time. Syrian T-72s fought only unarmoured Jeeps with TOW missiles from the Koah Yosi division.

Ironically, the first potential deadly enemy of the Merkava was an Israeli Magach (Patton). On June 9th, one Merkava from the 198th Battalion was knocked out by Syrians near Ain-a-Tina, after which it was mistakenly fired upon by tanks from another Israeli battalion. A good part of Merkavas lost in that conflict were lost due to friendly fire. For instance, on June 10-11th, Israeli helicopters fired on their own tanks twice. Five tanks were damaged, two crewmen died.

The largest use of Merkavas to this day happened in 2006, during the Second Lebanon War. 400 tanks including the newest Merkava-4s took part in an offensive on Hezbollah controlled territory. According to Israeli sources, over 1000 anti-tank rockets and shells were fired at these tanks, including Kornet rockets. 45 tanks were hit a total of 51 times, and about half of those hits penetrated. Three tanks were total losses, and 25 crew members died (these figures do not include losses due to mines and explosives).

The battles of 2006 showed once again that there is no such thing as an invincible tank, the only question is how much effort must be spent to destroy it. Even the best tanks will take heavy losses when used incorrectly. A battle at the dried out Saluki river serves as such an example. The Israeli offensive in this direction was delayed by two days. As a result, Hezbollah had time to prepare anti-tank defenses which were not discovered by Israeli scouts. Even though new Merkava-4 tanks were sent into battle, there were still losses. Tanks were fired upon from multiple directions, three out of 24 vehicles received penetrating hits, 7 tankers died. Considering the situation, a bold tank charge without reconnaissance and support, this is a relatively small loss,but it was possible for the whole column to remain on the sandy slopes of Saluki.

Merkava's designers managed to achieve their goal: maximum protection, especially for the crew. As Israel Tal once said "The tank with the better crew will be victorious!" Merkava's combat path shows that the tank's designers had their priorities straight. The most important component, the crew, was valued higher than anything else.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

There's no XP blocking damage with armor...yet. It's an idea that's been floating around for at least a year now, who knows if WG will ever get to it.

P.S. congrats my StugIV-owning bros

The Stug 4 is loving garbage though. The T28C is tee twenty great though, and the T-55A is pretty great too. Also making 450k credits for a 260 mission is also pretty snazzy.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Not even a day back into WoT since playing in 9.2 and nothing has changed.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Not even a day back into WoT since playing in 9.2 and nothing has changed.

what is the context for that?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

What the gently caress this tank doesn't make any sense.

An hour ago, before I bought it, I was seriously considering skipping it but figured I'd give it an honest shot. Welp.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Desuwa posted:

What the gently caress this tank doesn't make any sense.

An hour ago, before I bought it, I was seriously considering skipping it but figured I'd give it an honest shot. Welp.

Why would anyone skip a tier 6 light tank when Strongholds exist?

Oh right sorry mate.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
You know that feeling when the other team has a SIMP and a reroll platoon, and all you have is yours and a triple baddie platoon?

That feeling is called Victory.

Also sore shoulders.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2027342#windstorm-steelion-t34

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

The Stug 4 is loving garbage though. The T28C is tee twenty great though, and the T-55A is pretty great too. Also making 450k credits for a 260 mission is also pretty snazzy.

Hey man, us bads ought to feel good about accomplishing things too, however insignificant :smith:

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I was about to ask the same thing. Haven't played in roughly a year and there are tons of things confusing me.

Dynamic platoons, some AMX CDC, "using armor" in the battle review screen, bunch of other stuff.
Could anyone recap the big changes in the past year or so?

Dynamic platoons is just making and joining platoons in battle, CTRL to bring up mouse and click the plus signs next to names on your team.

AMX CDC is a very fast, very unarmoured french medium premium, it's a slightly smaller FCM 50t with an even lesser chance of bouncing things. No premium MM.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Could anyone recap the big changes in the past year or so?

WG seems pretty dead-set on eventually removing all Fixed-MM tanks as none of the upcoming premiums will have it - rumor has it* the FCM 50t is next on the chopping block.

* from the usual sources

So if you don't already have a fixed-MM T8 (the Type qualifies)...you might want to consider nabbing one.

Also, they're insane if they don't make Domination mode a premium-exclusive perk.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 19, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
gently caress the type.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I finished the T54 Light grind. In 27 games. This tank is super bananas. Definitely a keeper.

MT-25 is extremely fun and not very good. The LTTB is extremely fun and extremely good. The T54 Light is allegedly great - it has some armor and gets APCR, which might make up for having such crap gun depression, but the RU 251 certainly is easier to put to work.

Chaffee->T37->M41->T49 line is probably better, but grinding the M5 was a chore even before they made it worse. If you're looking for a light line, you may wanna go for the T54 Lightweight. T-34 is great, and the others are all great or great fun, so you can't really go wrong.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Agrajag posted:

gently caress the type.

Type is so awesome, been playing the poo poo out of mine and pubbies are as confounded as ever on killing them.

Too bad you missed the gravy train bro, you can always buy a T-34-3. :laffo:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

T-34-3 can actually be very fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey guys I think WN8 might be a lovely metric.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I am glad every day that that I bought a Type 59 and then won one from a giveaway, thus keeping it out of the hands of an unworthy plebe like Agrajag.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also:

:siren:Here's a link to a buggy version of my modpack for 9.9!:siren:

Here are the fonts it uses.

It contains:
- XVM with my own brand of lines on the minimap
- White = Maximum spotting/draw distance and traverse indicators
- Red = Artillery and low tier autoloader range
- Green = View range and camera direction
- 2 seconds protection from shooting at corpses
- J1mb0's crosshair mod
- Server-side crosshair
- 500m zoom out, 16x zoom in
- Scope shadow removed
- Locastan's damage panel and session stats
- 2 row tank carousel
- My Metal Gear Solid sixth sense mod
- HP bars and Team HP
- Battle assistant

It probably also has some other stuff I've forgotten about, but nothing that can get you banned. Known issues are that sometimes it shows your HP as "undefined". I will fix this ASAP. Let me know if there are any other issues.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
So I got an invite to join -g- on the condition that I call battles. Haha

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

McGavin posted:

I am glad every day that that I bought a Type 59 and then won one from a giveaway, thus keeping it out of the hands of an unworthy plebe like Agrajag.

Doing god's work. I am going to take another spin tonight in metro agrajag's honor.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

HD 59 is going to be nice.Hope they start making some HD china tanks.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I want the Type Fifty-Nine!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I want the Type Fifty-Nine!

https://youtu.be/n9yuOILP2Fg?t=9m59s

Only replay I could find online, it is pretty ancient.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 19, 2015

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

JohnGalt posted:

So I got an invite to join -g- on the condition that I call battles. Haha

every single -G- player I've seen lately has been green

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jack_tripper posted:

every single -G- player I've seen lately has been green

They lost around 15-25 players, quite a few from their S-team, right before the campaign for the IS-5 went live.

Given the delays in instituting the new CW map...I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if WG 'suddenly' decides to use the shift to the new map as an opportunity to kill CW altogether on the 'underperforming' US and SEA servers. CW players might be a noisy minority (having used to be one), but WG could turn the gold faucet off tomorrow for the US and SEA servers and it'd barely be a blip on their Q4.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 19, 2015

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Phew, OMC 9.9 update dropped, finally I can go back to normal...

...alright then.

:stare:

Oh, that's actually working as intended?

...that's sortakinda funny.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 19, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
http://wotreplays.com/site/2027867#team

rudy casually carrying tier 8 games while having the tracks eat about a thousand damage

like seriously what the gently caress is with this tank, it's absolutely retarded how good it is

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 19, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Love how this game punishes you for having a good time and going fast and furious. Hit a bump take 500 damage gently caress you. Lets cut the poo poo and get rid of that crap game isn't realistic in loving any way already no needs for anti fun poo poo.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Kursk, Secondary Direction

The battles at Prokhorovka, Oboyan, and Ponyri obscured many other no less important battles during the Battle of Kursk. Once of those was the deflection of the auxiliary attack of the German Armee-Abteilung Kempf by Lieutenant-General M. Shumilov's 7th Guards Army. This event took place on the left flank of the Voronezh Front.

There were no SS divisions with trumpeted up names here, regular numbered Wehrmacht divisions went into battle. There were no famous Soviet tank units like Kartukov's 1st Guards Tank Army or Rotmistrov's 5th Guards Tank Army. Even here, in this "insignificant" battle, the Germans lost.

Starting positions

The German commanders expected the qualitative advantage of their new tanks to be a decisive factor in Operation Citadel, but Werner Kempf had nothing to brag about. His army contained three tank divisions (6th, 7th, and 19th), united into the 3rd Tank Corps.

Unlike his colleagues from the SS and named divisions like Grossdeutschland, the corps received no reinforcements. In order to at least somehow help the units battered in March battles, Kempf attached the 228th assault gun battalion with StuG assault guns to the 3rd corps, as well as the 503rd Heavy Tank Battalion with 45 Tigers. Each division in the corps received one company of heavy tanks.

Shumilov's men were facing down Tigers, and in 1943 the Red Army did not yet have the IS-2 and its powerful 122 mm gun to combat them. Most of the tank units attached to the 7th Guards had T-34s, a few consisted only of light T-60 and T-70 tanks, heavy but obsolete KVs and Lend-Lease tanks. Fighting Tigers was going to be hard.

Knowing this, the commander of the Voronezh Front reinforced the 7th Guards Army with the 1529th Heavy SPG Regiment which contained 12 SU-152s, the only unit with these vehicles. They were subordinated to the 24th Guards Infantry Corps.

On July 5th, Kempf began his offensive, and things started going wrong almost immediately. With every day, the Germans experienced more and more difficulties.

The first problem lay in the fact that the front line in front of the attackers stretched almost in its entirety along the shores of Severskiy Donets river. The only foothold near Mikhailovka, captured in the spring, was insufficient to deploy significant forces. Soldiers of the 6th Tank Division that were "lucky" enough to begin their offensive from the foothold soon understood that the Soviets knew its importance.

The rest of Kempf's troops had to cross the river and a 200 meter wide swampy flood plain, capture footholds on the opposite shore, and erect bridges strong enough for heavy vehicles. Only then could they begin their offensive.

Tigers in a Rain of Fire

Despite the fact that Citadel was a German offensive operation, the first move was made by the Soviets. On the night of July 5th, guns, mortars, and rocket artillery opened fire. Their effect on the Germans that were amassed for an attack is described as "overwhelming" in Soviet literature, and this is a fair assessment, especially in the sector of the 7th Guards Army.

Near the Mikhailovka foothold, artillery destroyed one of the two crossings. The first attack from the foothold failed, and the Germans tried to help out with StuGs and Tigers. The bridge collapsed under one of the StuGs, leaving the main forces of the 6th Tank Division and all of its tanks stuck on the other shore. They had to go around, through the crossing of their neighbouring 19th Tank Division that had 60-ton bridge kits.

From the report of the 19th Tank Division: "The bridge for Tigers was halfway finished. At the time, the Russians began a well organized barrage of artillery, mortars, and flanking machinegun fire on the crossing. Even though it was dark, the fire was very precise." The Germans finished their crossing, but ran into another problem, as a result of which Hans von Funk decided that it was safer to have the Tigers ford the river. However, they didn't make it far, only to the first minefield where they stopped to wait for sappers to clear the way.

Funk made the decision to not use the bridge because of mines, but German ones, not Soviet ones. The cooperation between attack teams and sappers to clear the way for attacking units was terrible. For instance, the crossing at Solomatino was blocked by six tanks that were disabled by German mines as soon as they got off the bridge.

Mine Curse of the 19th Division

The 19th division earned the gold medal for bad luck that day. Most of the Tigers that they were issued did not make it across to the eastern shore of Severskiy Donest. Another excerpt from German documents: "We had no maps in our possession describing German minefields. We had only two mutually contradicting plans for minefields, which, as it turned out, were both wrong." As a result, first two Tigers blew up on German mines as soon as they moved out, then two more a while later. The latter were driving across terrain that was considered cleared.

Then, explosions rang one by one. Three tanks carelessly poked into an active mine field and were disabled. Two truck blew up on a road that was also considered safe. Later, 120 mines were removed from it that could not possibly be there.

The attempt to push through Soviet defenses with what was left of the Tiger company was a costly decision. By night, only one undamaged Tiger remained. Of course, a single mine explosion was not enough to send a heavy tank to the scrapyard, but in this battle every tank and every minute were valuable.

The first day of Kempf's offensive was a total failure. The only thing the Germans achieved was the capture of several small footholds on the other side of the river. They were not able to join them into one big one.

From Zveroboy with Love

Vehicles of the 1529th SPG Regiment entered battle on July 7th. They fired indirectly upon German forces that nearly penetrated Shumilov's second line of defense.

Soviet units needed to hold out, while the Germans had to join up with the group attacking in the main direction. Kempf's group was tasked with protecting its flank, a task which it could not carry out. Three days of fierce fighting were costly for both Soviet and German forces, the 6th and 19th Tank Divisions were on their last legs.

The Germans planned to reinforce them with the 7th Tank Division on July 8th, which was still stuck on the right flank. Contrary to German plans, the Soviets attacked first, recapturing the Batratskaya Dacha farm. The Germans realized that their infantry cannot withstand Soviet attacks without tanks. The plan was changed, and the 7th sent its tanks into battle that morning, and its attached Tigers by the evening.

At the tip of the spearhead as always, the Tigers rushed forward, not suspecting that the gunners of the 3rd battery were carefully studying them through their sights. All vehicles of the regiment had their own names. The Tigers ran into "Zveroboy" and "Zubr".

According to the award order of Zveroboy's gunner, the battle did not last long. "The enemy, with up to 12 tanks and a battalion of infantry, attempted to occupy favourable positions (height 191.2) in the vicinity of our lines. 6 German Tigers headed the attack.

Comrade Mikhailov aimed his weapon straight on target and turned the enemy to flight, knocking out 3 T-6 tanks and damaging 4 light tanks." T-6 were Tigers, this is how they were referred to in Soviet documents until the end of the war.

It's likely that this was the first battle between the Tiger and SU-152. It appears to be insignificant against the grand scale of the battle, but this and a thousand other minor skirmishes wore down the German advance. Because of the battle for Batratskaya Dacha, a whole enemy tank division was bogged down, unable to unite with Hoth's forces. As a result, he had to dedicate some of his own forces to protect his flanks. He was still able to advance, for now.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

If you're worried about being focused by arti, just platoon with me and don't play the same tank that I'm driving. Any English speaking arti player will focus on me.

Unsurprisingly, arty mostly leaves me alone.

But I'll platoon with you any time. The amount of insults you are able to type into chat while also playing well always astounds me.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 19, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

The amount of insults you are able to type into chat while also playing well always astounds me.

Practice makes perfect, mate.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Foch 155 is the next On-Track for NA server. Do not play the French TD line. It has some of the absolutely worst tanks in the game, combined with no outstanding tanks and a bad tier 10. The tier 9 Foch is merely adequate, and does not make up for a crappy tier 5 (they nerfed the bathtub's view range from 400m to 340m), 7 and 8, and the tier 4 and 6 are basically the worst tanks in the tier. The tier 10 is extremely underwhelming and like the 183 and 113, if the tier 9 was buffed up to tier 10 standards that would be a better option than a tier 10 with a crappy gimmick. Avoid it.

Now that Swamp is better, Komarin is gone, and Hidden Village is tier 8 and below, is Malinovka the new worst map due to the south spawn being at such an extreme disadvantage? Sacred Valley and El Halluf suck because the north brawl is the only part that matters, but at least it feels like neither team is super advantaged. Redshire's north gets that E7 bush, but that isn't too great an advantage due to pubbies not bothering to shoot spotted tanks since they're too far. Malinovka's south spawn loses between 3 and 10 tanks for free at the start because pubbies never ever learn that camping the field buildings is suicide. Westfield is also poo poo I guess, and northeast pubbies are much more likely to sit in the east and do gently caress all while the northwest and the game is lost.

gently caress Westfield and Malinovka.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Tier 7-10 french TD look sexy though.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
5 seconds from shotgunning a tank and winning the game, when my connection to the server just flat out stops. Still can't log back in.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Steelion posted:

5 seconds from shotgunning a tank and winning the game, when my connection to the server just flat out stops. Still can't log back in.

I had connection issues last week. Twice I dropped out of a game that had just started, took several minutes to reconnect and came back to a full-health tank right where I left it... and both times I was the only one left on my team, with anywhere from 7-10 enemy tanks still alive.

So, in the end, it was pretty much like every other game of tanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Foch 155 is the next On-Track for NA server.

Goddamnit. They're just doing On-Tracks for tanks I already own. :negative:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I briefly toyed with the idea of buying a Foch so I can finish the line, but I think I would rather buy a non-poo poo tank.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

A year without playing, and the SU-85B remains an unnerfed ninja deathmachine.

I'm actually all but certain I could have pulled the rest of this off with 14 kills if I'd prioritized the Hetzer that got me above all instead of finishing off a low-health idiot in a Stuart.
This thing is such a joy to drive and I'm happy to come back to a garage of almost exlusively tanks that are fun to drive while ridiculously strong.

gently caress the grind.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

A year without playing, and the SU-85B remains an unnerfed ninja deathmachine.
Actually it did get its view range axed pretty heavily.

Still loving rules, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nordick posted:

Actually it did get its view range axed pretty heavily.

Still loving rules, though.

Oh wow, 310, 387 with binocs...what was it before, 400/470 with binocs or something?

From the last few games, especially the 9 kill one, I'm not getting the impression that they touched it's camo value at all, though. And I can deal with 390m view range in proper positions, it seems.