Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

oddium posted:

my ongoing experiment to create a background forest with some depth to it

That's really loving clever use of paint to create the illusion of depth, although you might want to use a different shade on some of the trees or a different leaf wand or something to make the distinction between the different trees more apparent.

What's at the top of the big tree in the middle?

e: nevermind found it in your post history, that looks pretty rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the dryad having a good time

also yeah i still need to play around with living leaf blocks and maybe grey paint. i reaaaaaaaaaaally wish you could build on maybe like 3 different background layers and also that the painter sold more than white grey and black for shades

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oddium posted:

the dryad having a good time

also yeah i still need to play around with living leaf blocks and maybe grey paint. i reaaaaaaaaaaally wish you could build on maybe like 3 different background layers and also that the painter sold more than white grey and black for shades

You could also try using one of the shades of green, since the leaves are mostly green already.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah i have some lime going on in the experiment pic and cyan kind of works but give me like rainbow paint that opens up an hls slider and let me go hog wild

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oddium posted:

yeah i have some lime going on in the experiment pic and cyan kind of works but give me like rainbow paint that opens up an hls slider and let me go hog wild

Yeah I can't see it at all, but I'm kinda colorblind when it comes to yellow/green anyway so I'm probably not the best judge of this. V:v:V

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oddium posted:

This is really cool and clever.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
what fencing is that guy in front of on the right hand side there? i want a bongo playing target dummy

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Verviticus posted:

what fencing is that guy in front of on the right hand side there? i want a bongo playing target dummy

Judging by this, looks like shadewood fence.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best way to kill the Lunatic Cultist? Because Beetle Armor with a Chlorophyte-firing Megashark ain't cuttin' it. Should I farm up some magic weapon and roll back to Spectre? Or should I just go make/farm a better gun and stick with Chlorophyte bullets since the bastard's offscreen for 90% of the battle and my attempts with non-homing ammo have lasted even less time. Would the Magnet Sphere even be useful with how much the guy warps around? I've got an Inferno Fork, but he won't sit still long enough for me to get any decent damage with it.

Also, what stops him from summoning? Sometimes I've hit one of the fakes and that stops it, but most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes hitting him stops it immediately, but there've also been times where I just sit there firing jungle bullets into his dick and the summon completes. Obviously keeping him from bringing in extra things to hit me is key to being able to stop him, I just don't know how. All of that stuff was done with just the gun, so it's not like I'm doing more or less damage each time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Try Shroomite armour rather than beetle? Beetle is melee, shroomite is ranged (spectre is magic).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

1) get a possessed hatchet from the golem
2) rub a flask of ichor all over it
3) hold down the left mouse button and win

the hatchet is a strong extremely fast autofiring boomerang type weapon that homes in on enemies with crazy range and throws three before the first returns. unfortunately the gap between getting it and upgrading to lunar pillar weapons is crazy small so its time in the sun is lamentably brief

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Also venom bullets do more damage than chlorophyte if you're not using a shotgun or shotgun-variant (or the gatligator) so use those.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
It's hitting the real one that stops him summoning. When I first did the fight I assumed it was a 'kill all the others' kind of deal and he soon had 5 guys wrecking me, but ever since then he's gone down pretty easy, I use the ufo mount to fly around most of his attacks, the only one that gets me is the fireballs when I dodge wrong. I did it first with an Uzi which is comparable to the megashark but also wearing shroomite armour for the ranged damage, beetle armour is a weird choice for a ranged character as it doesn't give any of the +15% damage and +25% critical chance to bullets like shroomite, armour is less important than killing things quickly I found.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

President Ark posted:

Also venom bullets do more damage than chlorophyte if you're not using a shotgun or shotgun-variant (or the gatligator) so use those.

You can pry my chlorophyte bullets from my cold dead...

Speaking of bullets, do the megashark/chaingun/SDMG fire fast enough that luminite bullets screw you over, or is it only really the clockwork rifle that you have to worry about that with?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

oddium posted:

the hatchet is a strong extremely fast autofiring boomerang type weapon that homes in on enemies with crazy range and throws three before the first returns. unfortunately the gap between getting it and upgrading to lunar pillar weapons is crazy small so its time in the sun is lamentably brief

It still has a niche. It's the strongest melee weapon with homing which is useful when you want to just focus on dodging or just don't want to bother aiming. I have an easier time at the Nebula Pillar using that than any of the other Pillar or Moon Lord weapons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

TWIST FIST posted:

It still has a niche. It's the strongest melee weapon with homing which is useful when you want to just focus on dodging or just don't want to bother aiming. I have an easier time at the Nebula Pillar using that than any of the other Pillar or Moon Lord weapons.

Or if an enemy is too fast to aim at.
Posessed hatchet vs Duke Fishron was a pretty good combo, not only does it hit him constantly but it also blocks his bubbles.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
drat now I wish I used paint more in my construction. That's some really good application for it. Also shame you can't have a magic staircase behind the background layer. Or if you can actually do that I had no idea.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

oddium posted:

I really like that; question is, how long did it take you to come up with a version looking like that?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was pretty happy with my Ice Yoyo, a beam of Piss and a Deadly Excalibur. So then I smash a crimson mimic and oh here's some claws, haha they swing fast... let's make a dummy and try the dps and :catstare:

OK, goodbye Excalibur, hello Savage Fetid Baghnakhs

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackheart posted:

I was pretty happy with my Ice Yoyo, a beam of Piss and a Deadly Excalibur. So then I smash a crimson mimic and oh here's some claws, haha they swing fast... let's make a dummy and try the dps and :catstare:

Good luck not dying!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

they look cool against the dummy but hitting a moving target will be very dangerous

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I dunno, I've been having a blast with them. The added size and knockback of the savage modifier really help and they just make mincemeat out of most enemies. I also still use a Yoyo, Golden Shower and Flamethrower so I've got plenty of ranged options. I just demolished The Destroyer with them. Basically I don't use them on anything I wouldn't have used Excalibur on.

I also tried the Twins, and when I just had the laser one left I clawed that motherfucker into eye hamburger.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Kind of wish you could equip npc's with better weapons so they can better defend themselves.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

oddium posted:

Okay, so I've seen this several times before and I can't find anything related to it on the wiki. Except the teleporter, but those look really obvious.

I haven't played since 1.1, how do you do that stairs-portal thing?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mimingless posted:

Okay, so I've seen this several times before and I can't find anything related to it on the wiki. Except the teleporter, but those look really obvious.

The what.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mimingless posted:

Pretty sure that's just for show dude.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
I thought I saw a portal-less thing like that done in a video once, on replay it looks like there's a portal there but it's painted pure black.

Kinda feel like an idiot now. Oh well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
man getting through the lunar events is more complicated than I thought.
Vortex parked itself on something I built for mashing moon events and never got to test, so that's done. Trying to do Stardust next and it is not easy.
There haven't really been any enemies at some other point in the game that split like ameobas.

I thought I'd be clever and build tunnels but there's a lot of wall penetrating enemies and apparently unlike other invasions stardust enemies also occur in the underground.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Acne Rain posted:

man getting through the lunar events is more complicated than I thought.
Vortex parked itself on something I built for mashing moon events and never got to test, so that's done. Trying to do Stardust next and it is not easy.
There haven't really been any enemies at some other point in the game that split like ameobas.

I thought I'd be clever and build tunnels but there's a lot of wall penetrating enemies and apparently unlike other invasions stardust enemies also occur in the underground.
Easiest way to do Stardust is just keep killing the solar cells so they split, but let them reform and repeat. Each time they are killed as a big cell they count for pillar credit no matter how many times they've been split and farmed, and I have no evidence whatsoever to support it but in theory if there's a certain number of solar cells alive then the other enemies shouldn't spawn since there's a cap on how many enemies can spawn without a water candle/blood moon/battle potion. Then a bit of aoe to blast them as they all converge together to hit you - i used the Electrosphere Launcher before i got a Demonic Celebration from the Moon Lord- and you're done pretty quickly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I just beat stardust
Tactical shotgun + chlorophyte bullets seem to do the trick pretty well

Next to kill the solar pillar, but it's up in the jungle which is mostly lakes and hills, making it difficult to stay on the drat ground.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Most of the solar enemies are so terrible at vertical combat that you can just make a wall, grapple to it, and sit there holding your mouse down with an autoswing weapon forever. The crawltipedes don't care about you when you're next to a block, even if that block is twenty feed in the air.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or just keep hosing everything down with chlorophyte bullets. They home in on the tails.

Edit: Testing on a target dummy it seems that luminite bullets do lose damage to piercing invulnerability when used with the vortex beater - I was getting less dps than with chloro even at point blank. What a pity that the top-tier bullets are not usable with all the top-tier guns (which are all super-rapid-fire).

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 20, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Kind of wish you could equip npc's with better weapons so they can better defend themselves.

Yeah, same. It's a really cool thing that they can finally defend themselves now but I wish they didn't turn into poo poo at that as soon as hardmode busts in.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

oddium posted:

Alternate strategy: Beetle armour (use the damage bonus version, not the damage mitigation version), with gauntlet and vampiric knives. I just literally stood there and shot knives at him at close range without my health total dropping below ~350. If he fires that dragon at you, hitting it at close range heals you WAY more than it damages you with ~80 defence. This is on Expert Mode.

Trying to dodge and be clever was actually more difficult, and I don't think grinding for the crimson biome key is *that* difficult.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LEGO Genetics posted:

I wish they could use placed cannons/snowball cannons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

The Lone Badger posted:

Or just keep hosing everything down with chlorophyte bullets. They home in on the tails.

Edit: Testing on a target dummy it seems that luminite bullets do lose damage to piercing invulnerability when used with the vortex beater - I was getting less dps than with chloro even at point blank. What a pity that the top-tier bullets are not usable with all the top-tier guns (which are all super-rapid-fire).

Some solar enemies can reflect arrows and bullets, seems like a bad idea.

I think I have some ideas but they'll be on hold while I attend to some work that has piled up + large grading assignments this week. Stupid real life getting in the way of my video games :mad:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
For whatever reason crawlipedes have like 20x the health of anything else but they have some sort of 10x damage modifier, so if you bean one with some vampire knives you heal an outrageous amount.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Plantera's bulbs don't seem to be spawning in this world I made. I killed the WoF, the mechanical bosses, and I even got a message saying something like "The jungle grows restless."

Do I need an NPC to move in or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Plantera's bulbs don't seem to be spawning in this world I made. I killed the WoF, the mechanical bosses, and I even got a message saying something like "The jungle grows restless."

Do I need an NPC to move in or something?

They take a few days to start spawning, and even then can be a bitch to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I built an Adamantium Repeater but Skeletron Prime always beats me, even when I do the "fly high and then fall really far" glitch that makes two of his arms disappear. I've been fighting on on a long skybridge. Is there anything else that makes that fight go faster at least?