Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is quite possibly the worst loving derail I've seen in this thread.

Do not tempt the beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If your paladin is comboing riot blade he's a bot. They don't do the normal 123 I assume so they can be sure they always have mana for flash.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If your in a dungeon, and you notice that the other 3 players are blms. Then they might be bots.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I just reunited with my catgirl dragoon on excalibur, which goon FC do I choose to join and inevitably disappoint by dying on every encounter? :confused:
Edit: Ignore me! I don't know how to read!

Great White Hope! fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 20, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

If your in a dungeon, and you notice that the other 3 players are blms. Then they might be bots.

If you're in a 4-man dungeon with three black mages you've got bigger problems than bots.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Please don't use crafting macros if you actually care about the item you're producing.

I use crafting macros when I'm mass producing stuff like ingots or cloth. I don't use it for final products.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I use crafting macros when I'm mass producing stuff like ingots or cloth. I don't use it for final products.

You're usually better off using quick synth for that though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Plastic Paws posted:

was going through old screenshots....

Weddings involving lalafells are the best thing

Yololo should get hitched some day to provide a source of even more wedding screenshots, but alas, I simply haven't found the right person~

Great White Hope! posted:

I just reunited with my catgirl dragoon on excalibur, which goon FC do I choose to join and inevitably disappoint by dying on every encounter? :confused:
Edit: I don't know how to read!

All three have a little bit of room right now, but new players probably want to gravitate over toward Third Party Tools. Look for folks with an <EULA> tag or head to the house in Mist near Limsa, and remember to follow the instructions of ffgoons to prove you are an Authentic Goon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But then there's less of a chance for HQ!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kharaa posted:

the impression i'm getting is that you should put it on yourself because it's literally just you that matters in parties

But as a healer my only role is to support, any attempt for me to dps is me not caring for the tank and his mad DPS.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was just told by a healer that if I have Raw Intuition up and I receive a heal from behind, it will crit. Does this hold water? My untrained eye did not notice it.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I was just told by a healer that if I have Raw Intuition up and I receive a heal from behind, it will crit. Does this hold water? My untrained eye did not notice it.

It did. They fixed it already.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

You're usually better off using quick synth for that though.

But HQ items are worth more XP and sell for more? :confused:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

LunarShadow posted:

It did. They fixed it already.

I figured it was probably a bug.

Shame, I can only imagine the filthy macros that could have followed this.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Touchfuzzy posted:

Do not tempt the beast.

lalafell weddings are loving gross they look like kids jfc :yikes: :eyepop: :stunned:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Mordiceius posted:

Time Is Money

sometimes that means manual crafting or macros

sometimes that means quicksynth

but always consider your options

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

My wired 360 controller stopped working ingame and it's loving baffling. Restarted the client a couple times, tried disabling/enabling controller support and recalibrating the inputs, no dice. It's strange since the controller works perfectly with all my other games, and has worked fine with ff14 up until now. Any ideas?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

You get 4x the XP for fully HQing something. Can you fully HQ an item in the time it takes to quicksynth 4 times, using a macro?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Today I learned that hard mode dungeons is not just a harder version of the normal mode. I was unlocking the hard mode dungeons for the roulette when I realized that tam-tara deepcroft has been taken over by zombies for a zombie wedding. The entire story and mobs have been changed!? This is great I thought it would just be heroic dungeons like in WoW (its been awhile I'm not sure if they do this too.) Now to finish unlocking the rest so I can run the roulette.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Fister Roboto posted:

You get 4x the XP for fully HQing something. Can you fully HQ an item in the time it takes to quicksynth 4 times, using a macro?
Is the extra 3x mats cost worth the saved time between quicksynth and a macro to you?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Velveteen posted:

Today I learned that hard mode dungeons is not just a harder version of the normal mode. I was unlocking the hard mode dungeons for the roulette when I realized that tam-tara deepcroft has been taken over by zombies for a zombie wedding. The entire story and mobs have been changed!? This is great I thought it would just be heroic dungeons like in WoW (its been awhile I'm not sure if they do this too.) Now to finish unlocking the rest so I can run the roulette.

yup, they all have updated stories and mobs and usually layouts

The reason a couple of dungeons (cutter's cry, dzemael, aurum vale, etc) never got hard mode dungeons is that they were imported from 1.0 and it was too difficult/impossible to update the layouts or re-use the assets to make them into hard mode versions. Otherwise, every dungeon gets a hard mode version!

Please look forward to hard mode Gubal Library :buddy:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Minrad posted:

The reason a couple of dungeons (cutter's cry, dzemael, aurum vale, etc) never got hard mode dungeons is that they were imported from 1.0 and it was too difficult/impossible to update the layouts or re-use the assets to make them into hard mode versions. Otherwise, every dungeon gets a hard mode version!

I am looking forward to it so much, but they better not change the music :ohdear:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Begemot posted:

I am looking forward to it so much, but they better not change the music :ohdear:

I'm actually kind of excited by the thought of new music for Library HM, but only if it's another take on the same theme.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is the extra 3x mats cost worth the saved time between quicksynth and a macro to you?

Yes, absolutely. And it's not like the cost of the mats is going straight down the drain; I can sell the product or use it in future crafts. So it's really a question of whether the price difference between HQ and NQ is worth it, and that's usually not a big difference for some items.

It's also the only way to get the full XP from the new engineering manuals.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 20, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Minrad posted:

:magical: This loving game! Why is it so good?!

Hell, even the usual bullshit endgame item grind doesn't feel too stingy.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

:magical: This loving game! Why is it so good?!

Hell, even the usual bullshit endgame item grind doesn't feel too stingy.

Yup, the only real reusing of content aside of mechanics is probably savage mode coil and soon alexander, as well as hard mode and extreme mode primals. And those up the challenge so significantly that it's pretty much totally different anyway, except for garuda which gets easier in hm and then about the same difficulty for ex (unless someone kills the plume)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

UglyDucklett posted:

(unless someone kills the plume)
i.e. Savage Garuda

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
HM and EX primals are designed so you see the basic mechanics in babymode, then in the real-deal EX fight you're forced to deal with more important, more complicated, and usually significantly more punishing versions of those mechanics. They're not really "recycled content" in the sense you'd usually use the term, though I guess you could argue they technically are. Either way the point is this game's pretty good about keeping things fresh, at least as MMOs go.

Savage is a slightly different thing in that Normal Alex to Savage Alex seems to follow the same basic idea as HM and EX primals, but Savage Coil is more of a bonus super-hard mode they threw in for people who really want that.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 20, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Not bad, but you'll have to do it all three more times to finish out the folklore books.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm excited to see if red script armor will be better than HQ crafted. I'm really hoping it is so I can use the gil I'd have to use buying HQ on materia

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Finally got my horns! :shepface:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm excited to see if red script armor will be better than HQ crafted. I'm really hoping it is so I can use the gil I'd have to use buying HQ on materia

I'm guessing it's equal to or slightly better than fully melded crafted, but requires specialization to equip so you're not crafting all the best stuff for everything.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Emalde posted:

Finally got my horns! :shepface:

That is a dapper dragondemoncatperson

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I need help. I'm stuck at the 2.4 story quest "The Reason Roaille" and I just ragequit after my 7th failed attempt. I'm a WHM at ilvl 109 and I just don't understand this bullshit. I have tried healing all my allies, healing just the main dude, nuking the girl down to 0hp (she still lives), going balls out DPS on all the healers, and I always fail. Usually one of two things happens... Either the main guy will die and I can't keep him up, or I'll end up with just him and I, leading the next wave of mobs to aggro on me and I die from tons of damage.

What gives? Was this always so hard?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Opposing Farce posted:

HM and EX primals are designed so you see the basic mechanics in babymode, then in the real-deal EX fight you're forced to deal with more important, more complicated, and usually significantly more punishing versions of those mechanics. They're not really "recycled content" in the sense you'd usually use the term, though I guess you could argue they technically are. Either way the point is this game's pretty good about keeping things fresh, at least as MMOs go.

Savage is a slightly different thing in that Normal Alex to Savage Alex seems to follow the same basic idea as HM and EX primals, but Savage Coil is more of a bonus super-hard mode they threw in for people who really want that.

Sort of, though I don't think any HM to -> Ex primal has been one to one. For example all the stuff that makes Ravana hard is no where in the HM version. The first three primals are probably the best, along with Leviathan, for showing you what you'll see in HM and then in EX mode. I guess Bismark is too come to think of it. Though the difficulty of that EX fight is entirely dps related. :v:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Richard M Nixon posted:

I need help. I'm stuck at the 2.4 story quest "The Reason Roaille" and I just ragequit after my 7th failed attempt. I'm a WHM at ilvl 109 and I just don't understand this bullshit. I have tried healing all my allies, healing just the main dude, nuking the girl down to 0hp (she still lives), going balls out DPS on all the healers, and I always fail. Usually one of two things happens... Either the main guy will die and I can't keep him up, or I'll end up with just him and I, leading the next wave of mobs to aggro on me and I die from tons of damage.

What gives? Was this always so hard?

Heal the little dudes as necessary (regen is good for this) and kill adds. The big guy is mostly self-sustaining; the fight ends once all the adds and scripting is done.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Eimi posted:

Sort of, though I don't think any HM to -> Ex primal has been one to one. For example all the stuff that makes Ravana hard is no where in the HM version. The first three primals are probably the best, along with Leviathan, for showing you what you'll see in HM and then in EX mode. I guess Bismark is too come to think of it. Though the difficulty of that EX fight is entirely dps related. :v:

I believe every primal starting with Mog has been designed as an Extreme fight first, and then had mechanics removed and numbers toned down to make the Hard version. The first three were complete fights at Hard, and then a patch later redone totally for Extreme. Individual mechanics are similar but the fights themselves are dramatically different.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Niton posted:

Heal the little dudes as necessary (regen is good for this) and kill adds. The big guy is mostly self-sustaining; the fight ends once all the adds and scripting is done.

I calmed down and tried it again, this time just focusing on the guys with the most HP and I actually got it. gently caress yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay, this game.

I'm taking my sweet time, just now getting flight in west Coerthas, so just wandering around looking for aether currents, enjoying the landscape and chill, melancholy tunes, and just out of nowhere I find a tiny little grotto full of sea angels. For no drat reason other than probably serving as a fishing spot, just to be pretty.

Guys I fuckin love this. :3: This is a GOOD GAME.

Also (early 3.0 story spoiler) I tremendously enjoyed getting to punch down a giant portcullis in the process of saving Raubahn. Ilberd, is "you're just being used!" what you tell everyone who whoops your rear end? :smug:

• Locked thread