Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I named her Halberd or Katana or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Zidane is into real HanzoDamascus steel and wants to educate the plebes in his party on the difference between a Wakizashi and a DaitoDagger and a Broadsword.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The only thing I don't like is you don't get the chance to change it back. At least from what I remember. I think there comes a point where you could have. And chosen from a few worthy choices to rename.

Auto-Regen is broken as all hell. There reached a point where I honestly didn't feel like I could lose. Sure some battles dragged, but I didn't think I'd die. More like I'd get bored and cut the game off.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

SonicRulez posted:

The only thing I don't like is you don't get the chance to change it back. At least from what I remember. I think there comes a point where you could have. And chosen from a few worthy choices to rename.

There's an NPC in a late-game town that can change names for you... as long as you have a specific card. One that you only have two chances to obtain before the guy shows up and can't be obtained ever if you miss them both. Thanks, FF9.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

There's a new enemy here, the Carve Spider. No big deal.
My first association was "what if Harvey had a Spider persona. Like... jazz-y sax-playing Spider". I dunno, I need to sleep instead of reading LPs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

Jewel isn't bad. Personally i'm a fan of just not renaming her.

Actually lets get into this a little bit. Names are Important. Probably even more so in media than in regular life. Any situation in which a character chooses a new name is of significance. Garnet deciding to just pick whatever thing that first catches her attention feels pretty bad.

Now sometimes someone picks a new name simply because they need to hide, fit in, etc. In those situations the new name itself isn't going to be very signficant. However Dagger as far as we can see doesn't really fit any naming patterns we see in the rest of the game either.

So just renaming her back to Garnet and moving on is my prefered aproach.
Her naming herself Dagger has a pretty big payoff later on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I name her Kris.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm fairly certain my 13 year old self named her Dumbass and giggled for the rest of the game.

Dagger is debatable in being a better choice.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Highly relevant and the only correct choice after your first playthrough. I don't think being stuck with Dagger the entire run is worth that one line that works almost as well with Garnet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dagger is a good name that represents her character much better than Garnet :colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tzarnal posted:

Jewel isn't bad. Personally i'm a fan of just not renaming her.

Actually lets get into this a little bit. Names are Important. Probably even more so in media than in regular life. Any situation in which a character chooses a new name is of significance. Garnet deciding to just pick whatever thing that first catches her attention feels pretty bad.

Now sometimes someone picks a new name simply because they need to hide, fit in, etc. In those situations the new name itself isn't going to be very signficant. However Dagger as far as we can see doesn't really fit any naming patterns we see in the rest of the game either.

So just renaming her back to Garnet and moving on is my prefered aproach.

But isn't the bolded part literally what she's doing? She needs to hide for now, and so she comes up with a random-rear end fake name.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's like a sitcom where someone has to come up with a fake name on the spot and makes their choice based on the first thing they see, except it's being played straight here. Although it's a shame there's also a character limit so we can't go with "Gal Incognito".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This is dagger, back together.

Couldn't she have come up with something better than "whatever this thing here is".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Acne Rain posted:

Couldn't she have come up with something better than "whatever this thing here is".

I wonder what name I should...ew, what did I just step in?
Yuck, looks like dog poo poo.
DogShit, huh...

Uh, Garnet...
I'm not Garnet, I'm DogShit now.
Oh dear lord...

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Squalitude posted:

It's like a sitcom where someone has to come up with a fake name on the spot and makes their choice based on the first thing they see, except it's being played straight here. Although it's a shame there's also a character limit so we can't go with "Gal Incognito".

Stiletto would be a better name, if it fit.

You can also reference other Final Fantasy games and give her a mighty pedigree: Butz

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If something smells, it's probably the Butz/Dogshit.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Call me Queen, bitches"

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Mega64 posted:

Oh dear lord...

That entire conversation is entirely :lol: worthy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Call her Shank. It's her prison nickname.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
How about Shiv?

sergeantz
Apr 27, 2015
I vote naming everyone "I say", to make everyone in the game talk like Foghorn Leghorn.

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
Yeah, Garnet renaming herself is one of my favorite naming characters scenes. She does this whole bit with the dagger, and then says she's going to change her name to...I don't know, Lisa. Or DONGS. If it's anything but Dagger, she just went on about daggers for basically no reason. Or, yeah, you can make her remain Garnet and make everyone look like morons.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xerophyte posted:

Zidane is into real HanzoDamascus steel and wants to educate the plebes in his party on the difference between a Wakizashi and a DaitoDagger and a Broadsword.

I love how he starts nerding out immediately. I don't know why it surprised me this time but lol

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sum Mors posted:

You can also reference other Final Fantasy games and give her a mighty pedigree: Butz
Renaming Bartz back to Butz works really well in the PSX version of FFV, as the name they used for the default class was "Bare". I may have laughed at that far too much because I'm a child. :eng99:

As for Dagger, the next time I'm playing FFIX I should name her Chelsea, after the Chicago Blackhawks goal song.

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009
The FF9 world has a sabbath? Fingers crossed the japanese developers didn't make Burmecian jews. That could end... badly.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray it is my favourite Final Fantasy game. I think it's probably because it just oozes character from everywhere. There's some with battle systems I prefer, but this just blows the rest of them away in every other category for me. It was my first Final Fantasy game and there's definitely a big chunk of nostalgia there, so I can't exactly be objective about that though. Also the music rules and most of it is burnt right into my head.

Namechat I definitely have a name I always have to give her now but it's a spoiler. The scene makes no sense if you call her anything else

Also poke the barrel.

Kemix posted:

That save Moogle is my favorite save moogle in the game. I was honestly shocked when I saw that "YOU BASTARDS" line as a kid...then again I hadn't started watching south park for the first time around then either. :allears:

IX has the best Moogles. It's the character thing again. All other games have inferior Moogles. Apart from VI and Mog and his gang.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

L5 Death posted:

The FF9 world has a sabbath? Fingers crossed the japanese developers didn't make Burmecian jews. That could end... badly.

There's definitely some kind of religion in the background of FF9, but it never becomes relevant to the plot. It's just flavor.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fister Roboto posted:

I name her Kris.

I just wanted to make sure this one got more love.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's definitely some kind of religion in the background of FF9, but it never becomes relevant to the plot. It's just flavor.

A JRPG where the world religion isn't the root of all evil? Blasphemy!

:v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ulmont posted:

I just wanted to make sure this one got more love.
That's pretty great, I didn't even notice it earlier.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

McDragon posted:

IX has the best Moogles. It's the character thing again. All other games have inferior Moogles. Apart from VI and Mog and his gang.
Ivalice Moogles are pretty great too actually

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Ivalice Moogles are pretty great too actually

:3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Moogles (mouguri) are supposed to be a cross between a mole (mogura) and a bat (koumori). This one definitely has some rabbit in its family tree.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Hirayuki posted:

Moogles (mouguri) are supposed to be a cross between a mole (mogura) and a bat (koumori). This one definitely has some rabbit in its family tree.

They prefer to be called Viera, you racist.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Schwartzcough posted:

They prefer to be called Viera, you racist.

Pffft. If he were part viera we'd never have seen him. Fun fact: there ARE male viera. They just get relegated to the kitchen! Gender roles in MY final fantasy? More likely to be flipped than you'd think! Of course I could be completely wrong here. In which case feel free to smack me and 'politely' ask me to get you yer sammich.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kemix posted:

Pffft. If he were part viera we'd never have seen him. Fun fact: there ARE male viera. They just get relegated to the kitchen! Gender roles in MY final fantasy? More likely to be flipped than you'd think! Of course I could be completely wrong here. In which case feel free to smack me and 'politely' ask me to get you yer sammich.
this post sucks

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm personally a fan of the fuzzy puffball Crystal Chronicles moogles.

You can even paint and groom their fur :3:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I completely forgot about Crystal Chronicles. What a cool... thing that was. I also forgot Garnet's name changed this early on.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

There's some bats with huge ears though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

pichupal posted:

I'm personally a fan of the fuzzy puffball Crystal Chronicles moogles.

You can even paint and groom their fur :3:

Not to mention Stiltzkin is in it, too. Vivi met him earlier this LP, here's his appearance in Crystal Chronicles:

• Locked thread