Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

paranoid randroid posted:

bullshit, where they gonna find a teapot large enough to cram his head in

They need to find Jade so she can shrink him, or make a really giant teapot either one works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My main source of enjoyment for this update is that every sprite prototyping is getting more more and 'My Original Character' than the last. I mean, look at this:

Angel wings, garrish colors, sun-glasses, wolverine claws, trenchcoat, fangs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The clear point of these characters is to be destroyed.

They're being ginned up to be absurd and unusable in a story so that they can be utterly annihilated. And since Jake is set to go against Spades Slick, I'm gonna bet that he'll be the one to do all these sprites in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why dont you prototype the whole universe

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bobulus posted:

My main source of enjoyment for this update is that every sprite prototyping is getting more more and 'My Original Character' than the last. I mean, look at this:

Don't forget the fingerless gloves :gonk:

SynthOrange posted:

why dont you prototype the whole universe

This would be amazing

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bobulus posted:

That IS getting dangerous close to the lord english fanart from before his real reveal.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oh jesus the sprites are going to form God's Gift to the Yaois

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

WAR FOOT posted:

I think the biggest problem (and yes, I know, 'lack of closure in Homestuck' is an ongoing thing), but this is a seriously lame lack of closure. When Rosesprite was originally created, I was genuinely excited to see her resolve some of her ongoing arcs, have a serious chat with Kanaya, and break things down with the now-dominant Rose. Likewise, Davesprite addressed one of the biggest issues in Homestuck that is often glossed over - What makes you you? Are you still important if you are not the 'main' you? I felt this arc was doubly important in the RetJohn timeline, where pretty much the ENTIRE cast were replaced. Only John and Roxy are the original John and Roxy, and you can make a compelling argument that John isn't, either.

A really great time for Davesprite to shine, but no. This.

I don't know, I think we actually got pretty good resolution for both of those things during the rare and highly dangerous 10x conversation update.

Rose hashed out that, basically, people don't have character arcs, and refusing to "follow your quest" doesn't mean you're less you.

Dirk opened up to Dave and said that every splinter of him is him in some way. I can't imagine how that doesn't apply to Davesprite.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
rose only really hashed out that people dont have arcs inasmuch as she realized that her seer powers dont guarantee her a nice, orderly arc towards whatever conclusion shes headed for. which makes sense as something she would have trouble dealing with, given her tendency to overanalyze and obsess over things. what jasperose largely signifies to her is: 1) huge, obnoxious exposure of her "self" that shes spent the whole comic being very guarded about and probably picking apart just as thoroughly as she does other people. and 2) an apparently meaningless wrench thrown into her "arc" with no greater importance, interfering with her conception of how her life is supposed to play out. these are things she will have to come to grips with, in the end!

there's some interesting similarities to vriska's reaction (vriska) there, which just reinforces my theory that the common element that designates someone as a light player is having a really hosed up relationship with oneself.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
tumblr is SUPER pissed about this update and I'm not sure why but it makes me happy and I'm laughing, at them

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

What if all the sprites are where Lord English's rainbow powers come from?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

re: recent events,

no

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
so uh

how is davepeta going to act.

I cannot comprehend this character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He'll be all about shipping.

Ironically.

Or is it unironically.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hussie is just striking the fusion fad while the iron's hot.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Oh boy its Awkete Purrmusk

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

YggiDee posted:

Well, the Lususprites were all single-prototyped. On one hand, they're all dead. On the other hand, we have no idea when or why or how. Also, this is Homestuck.

Jack killed them all when he exploded the troll's planets+skaia back in act five act 2, without more RetJohnning, they're gone for good.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

oh jesus the sprites are going to form God's Gift to the Yaois

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zeruel posted:

Also not a fan of how thirsty Jasper was

yeah seriously. that was awkward and it just kept going

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys

Here's a super horrifying thought

We've still got another John and batch of Sprites who may yet show up.

Remember, (Ir)Relevant John is still a Thing and he has the same narrative powers as actual John. And he'd have all of the Sprites that John brought with him.

So triple the Nannas and Eqs, and a fresh Davesprite

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Burkion posted:

Hey guys

Here's a super horrifying thought

We've still got another John and batch of Sprites who may yet show up.

Remember, (Ir)Relevant John is still a Thing and he has the same narrative powers as actual John. And he'd have all of the Sprites that John brought with him.

So triple the Nannas and Eqs, and a fresh Davesprite

No, he was destroyed when he got to LoWaS and met Typheus, just like every other John except for the main one.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This was a good update, and I want more of davepeta.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I do think what we got to hear of Nepeta was really adorable and a little sad. She seemed nice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, all that update really made me want was more Nepeta. We got so little of her character before, and now it's something teased that we will never ever get more of.

Also, Davepetasprite's design has too much Dave and not enough Nepeta; I think it's the fact that it has both Dave's hair and his sunglasses, so it's still essentially his face. If you used Nepeta's hair instead it'd look a lot more balanced.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Grapplejack posted:

This was a good update, and I want more of davepeta.

I want to see where this crazy train goes, so yes, agreed. Show me more Davepetasprite^2.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dear sweet Davepetasprite

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, all that update really made me want was more Nepeta. We got so little of her character before, and now it's something teased that we will never ever get more of.

Also, Davepetasprite's design has too much Dave and not enough Nepeta; I think it's the fact that it has both Dave's hair and his sunglasses, so it's still essentially his face. If you used Nepeta's hair instead it'd look a lot more balanced.

It's a combination of Dave and Nepeta's hair. Which is to say, it's like if Dave grew his hair out and never combed it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I could see Davepetastripe being a basically good thing, because Davesprite has the self-confidence Nepeta lacks. He's not going to be hamstrung by "What does Equius want?"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im not sure dave ever actually combed his hair anyway, given that the closest thing to a comb in the strider household was probably a pile of very small swords that fell out of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom every time he opened it

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

im not sure dave ever actually combed his hair anyway, given that the closest thing to a comb in the strider household was probably a pile of very small swords that fell out of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom every time he opened it

you think bird-hair that perfect just grows itself?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I could see Davepetastripe being a basically good thing, because Davesprite has the self-confidence Nepeta lacks. He's not going to be hamstrung by "What does Equius want?"

I agree, but I would like to note that Equius, for all his faults, generally had a good idea of what was best for Nepeta, and Nepeta was pretty good at telling his good sensible advice from his bad elitist advice. He kept her from getting caught up in the cycle of tragedy and revenge that everyone who played FLARP got sucked into, and had she followed through on her promise not to leave the room he left her in she would still be alive. Not to say that he didn't suggest something dumb and kind of lovely every once in a while, but he had her best interests in mind even at the worst of times.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dirk will permit, nay, encourage taking care of hair.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

At least it cut off that uncomfortable date before Jasperosesprite^2 could keep up the creeper act (Jesus that catgirl worked fast). I'm actually curious if Nepeta's memory of the conversation and Dave's keener awareness will mix, and he/she is about to become very unhappy with Jasperosesprite^2. It's really hard to tell what Hussie's going for with these characters, although I would have accepted a Nepeta/AR merger since they're already close and Nepeta was just saying she though the idea of combining with someone she cares about would be nice.

Another update of feeling sorry for Jake, too, Jasperosesprite^2 was shockingly rude to go along with shockingly manipulative. I thought his smalltalk about Alice in Wonderland was a perfectly valid interjection.

Isn't Jasperosesprite^2 supposed to jet off and help Jane with healer duties in a minute? I suppose Davepetasprite^2 might stick around and help Jake fight, with Tavros unconscious he's looking to face Spades Slick alone.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cats are known jerks. Perfectly honest, candid, affectionate jerks. They do not give a gently caress what anybody thinks and are unaware of the notion of society.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dolash posted:

Another update of feeling sorry for Jake, too, Jasperosesprite^2 was shockingly rude to go along with shockingly manipulative. I thought his smalltalk about Alice in Wonderland was a perfectly valid interjection.

To be fair, his smalltalk pretty much consisted of pointing out things that Jasprose knew already and Nepeta had no context for.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

YggiDee posted:

Well, the Lususprites were all single-prototyped. On one hand, they're all dead. On the other hand, we have no idea when or why or how. Also, this is Homestuck.

I look forward to Crabdadjohnsprite^2.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Classtoise posted:

I look forward to Crabdadjohnsprite^2.

crabdaddadsprite^2

clack clack clack son im so proud of you *zoidbergs out of room at top speed*

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Merging is just a cheap tactic to make weak sprites stronger.

SynthOrange posted:

Dear sweet Davepetasprite

I'm trying to figure out what their personality will be. Davesprite never seemed to grow out of the irony phase that regular Dave did. Ironic catpuns?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tavros was presumably the Dormouse at that tea party, Jake. Although you'd need a pretty big teapot to stuff him into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh god! What if Davepeta met Arquius?