Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lblitzer posted:

Ebay has the first gen Verizon Moto X for $100 today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XT...=item33a35606bb

I wish you could get Project Fi on the Moto X (I know this is not the right model), I would buy one just to try it for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

lol you got me, I really misrepresented what he said

You said the vast majority, bull didn't say that, and the proportion of people working in substandard conditions is quite pertinent as its the very subject under discussion.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Doesn't the whole rare-earth and conflict mineral thing pretty much guarantee that all our electronics are "compromised" ethically or am I over simplifying things?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

For a long time I thought my 14 Moto X had lovely Bluetooth.

Then I got a new head unit in my vehicle and all my problems went away.

edit: poo poo, I put '14. It's a 2013 Moto X.

It does it with a few different Bluetooth devices. To be fair, it happens with the Pebble FAR more, so I guess it could be the Pebble instead.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Just got my warehouse deals $350 Nexus 6. It's in perfect condition. All I have to say is hahahahaha it's so loving big jfc.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's why they call it warehouse deals

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
I've noticed that in direct sunlight (never in fluorescent) that my S6 screen has dark lined spotchy stains on the screen? I don't know if this is related to me trying to apply a skinomi screen protector, probably is. Not sure if the spray solution, which I applied very little screwed with the screen somehow. But it's relatively annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

False Toaster posted:

I've noticed that in direct sunlight (never in fluorescent) that my S6 screen has dark lined spotchy stains on the screen? I don't know if this is related to me trying to apply a skinomi screen protector, probably is. Not sure if the spray solution, which I applied very little screwed with the screen somehow. But it's relatively annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.

The Skinomi and other kind of more elastic / resilient screen protectors are like that. Likely that if you took it off it'd be normal.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Skywalker OG posted:

The Skinomi and other kind of more elastic / resilient screen protectors are like that. Likely that if you took it off it'd be normal.

The issue is that it's not on. I took it off because I didn't like the feel.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

False Toaster posted:

It might be an AMOLED thing, I've read about it before

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

False Toaster posted:

Google OLED mura, it's probably something like that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

False Toaster posted:

This is normal, you're actually seeing parts of the LCD.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grack posted:

This is normal, you're actually seeing parts of the LCD.
Impressive!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It happens :shrug:

grack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 18, 2015

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this or if I should be posting in the app thread, but is there a way to move old text messages from one Android phone to another? I have a Moto G and just got a Nexus 6 that I'd like to get my old text messages on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sms backup and restore, but then once you've moved them, get sms backup +

Then they all get backed up to gmail and you won't have to worry about it again

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 18, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Sms backup and restore, but then once you've moved them, get sms backup +

Then they all get backed up to gmail and you won't have to worry about it again

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

Why SMS Backup+ isn't integrated into the platform I'll never understand. Hell, why not have Hangouts just sync it to your chat folder?

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So I upgraded to 5.1 on my turbo a couple weeks ago and everything was fine up until the last few days. It seems like now I have to restart my phone everyday because by the end of the day it starts lagging so bad its almost impossible to do anything and has started to heat up more than normal.

Are there any know 5.1 bugs on the turbo or hardware issues?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

GopherFlats posted:

So I upgraded to 5.1 on my turbo a couple weeks ago and everything was fine up until the last few days. It seems like now I have to restart my phone everyday because by the end of the day it starts lagging so bad its almost impossible to do anything and has started to heat up more than normal.

Not that I've heard. I'm at 407:53 uptime. Lag is one of the things I've never had with this update amazingly. Maybe an app running rampant?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

GopherFlats posted:

Did you do a factory reset?
I've not had any issues, but I had a clean install of 5.1.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

GopherFlats posted:

I had problems for the first week and decided to delete a bunch of apps (oddly, Google Plus, Navigation Layer, and switched from Nova to Action 3). Now it works fine.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anyone waiting for the 2015 nexus 5? I hear its going to be released when M is finished.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Yes. My N5 is on its last legs and I'm just holding on for dear life.

Edit: VVVVV Same. Trying to avoid that option with a nice bigass external battery.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 20, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah my n5 is just hosed now, randomly turning off, sudden battery drops etc

Considering a cheap stopgap its getting that bad

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I got my n5 warranty replaced last year for battery failure, its been running great since then. I'm just excited for the new features I hear about like finger print scanner, 20mpx camera with laser auto focus.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

r0ck0 posted:

Anyone waiting for the 2015 nexus 5? I hear its going to be released when M is finished.

Yes. Or maybe the new Moto X. I'm getting to where I really want to upgrade my 2013 X. It's an AT&T one so I just got Lollipop and it's super sweet, but it also seems a little more crashy to me.

I just really hope I can get a reasonably (for me) sized device.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Moto X 2014 is getting quite cheap, and it's essentially a small Nexus 6 :)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Skarsnik posted:

Mine just turned itself off and then on boot went through the optimizing apps process from an update. This on top of the ~4-6 hour battery life is making it difficult to use, replacement will be here this week (I hope.)

e: :aslol:

uPen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 20, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can't seem to figure out where to change the notification sound for Google Now reminders. Anyone have a clue?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

r0ck0 posted:

Waiting with baited breath. Still squeezing all the life I can out of my OG Galaxy Nexus, but last Friday it somehow bricked itself twice. Coincidentally I'm also looking to switch to something with better coverage than T-Mobile soon, but the idea of getting something packed with bloatware still terrifies me. A Google phone with Project Fi is definitely looking like a good option, but I'm not sure I want a Nexus 6... So I'm hoping, perhaps foolishly, that Motorola's announcement next week somehow meets all these needs. I'm not sure I can hold out for October.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Update on my US Cellular S6 bluetooth issues. After doing a factory reset, I think the ~30s of bluetooth stuttering is fixed. I tested in my car a couple times this morning and music played perfectly fine immediately after connecting. I got my phone about 5 weeks ago (5.0) and upgraded to 5.1 about 3 weeks ago. I never did a reset after upgrading to 5.1.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

My current N5 is pretty beat up, only takes blurry photos and has water spotches in the screen after its swim in a lake last year. Please be good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My N5 isn't nearly that bad, but I am noticing decreased battery life and it's starting to annoy me; plus the general "time for a new toy" feeling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Still love my N5 but you can tell the battery is starting to get old. I am really happy with it in general, been one of my best tech gadgets ever. Hoping the new one is just as good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So is it pretty much been confirmed that LG is making the new Nexus 5?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

Update on my US Cellular S6 bluetooth issues. After doing a factory reset, I think the ~30s of bluetooth stuttering is fixed. I tested in my car a couple times this morning and music played perfectly fine immediately after connecting. I got my phone about 5 weeks ago (5.0) and upgraded to 5.1 about 3 weeks ago. I never did a reset after upgrading to 5.1.

What'd you end up doing as far as saving as much configuration as you could? My Note 4 has a similar issue where bluetooth audio will intermittently drop for a second or two, then play back really fast until it "catches up".

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

So is it pretty much been confirmed that LG is making the new Nexus 5?

Uh, isn't the rumour that it's Huawei?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
The last one I read claimed both an LG and Huawei nexus this year, one being larger than the other.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah that's the new 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What'd you end up doing as far as saving as much configuration as you could? My Note 4 has a similar issue where bluetooth audio will intermittently drop for a second or two, then play back really fast until it "catches up".

Not much. I just backed up contacts/pictures to google, remembered which apps I needed to redownloaded, and wiped the phone. I reinstalled/reconfigured everything this morning when I had a couple hours of downtime sitting in a big ol auditorium.