Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Can someone explain alchemy to me again? I do not need to keep a stockpile of every conceivable plant to replenish my oils and potions, I only need alcohol. I can make alcohest and dwarven spirit, but those are the only things in alchemy I need to keep harvesting their ingredients for. Correct?

If you've already made everything else, I guess this is true. A few higher level armor things need a few odd ingredients though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Alcohol is equivalent to a final fantasy tent and potion and bomb stock are your spell casts

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Poetic Justice posted:

Feenix posted:

I'm a special case. Boot camp on a retina iMac. I'm stuck with AMD drivers from December. It could/may be that. Sadly I'm stuck with that... But the win 8.1 boot camp setup I have has performed admirably on most other fairly current games.

The crashing really didn't get bad until 1.05 or 6 I forget. Before that it was infrequent ( and totally random) (play 10 minutes or 6 hours.)
Ah, ok. Well hopefully pik_d will be able to at least get you past that area.

I did it :toot:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where does Morkvarg go if you kill him in the cave? I didn't know to give him the meat and now I am just running around the yellow circle in the garden and I can't find poo poo.

I can't believe how lovely the objective tracking is in this game sometimes. I don't know how much time I have wasted just running around trying to find poo poo at this point because the mini map is such rear end. I feel like I've been running around this stupid garden for half of my day off at this point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

NESguerilla posted:

Where does Morkvarg go if you kill him in the cave? I didn't know to give him the meat and now I am just running around the yellow circle in the garden and I can't find poo poo.

I can't believe how lovely the objective tracking is in this game sometimes. I don't know how much time I have wasted just running around trying to find poo poo at this point because the mini map is such rear end. I feel like I've been running around this stupid garden for half of my day off at this point.
That is the most confusing quest in the game, someone needs to re-examine the objectives there. It really didn't need the moving blocks either.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

there is a sublevel to the cave, I don't remember the actual series of events leading to me killing him but there is a cut-scene where he scolds a skeleton about losing something that might have actually fallen through the cracks..

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Have you examined the cave with witcher senses? Pretty sure there's a hole you have to find a way into that gives you a key for the building in that garden.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lazer Monkey posted:

there is a sublevel to the cave, I don't remember the actual series of events leading to me killing him but there is a cut-scene where he scolds a skeleton about losing something that might have actually fallen through the cracks..

Yeah. That's where the key is. I went back down there and he isn't there. As far as I can tell he just despawned after I fake killed him the last time. I even reloaded and nothing.

I'm just ditching this lovely quest. Good riddance you can suffer for eternity Morkvarg you buggy pos.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Fair enough, but you'd just need to go into that building and find his diary to continue if you want.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you haven't gotten to Skellige yet you're barely 30% (assuming you've wrapped up Velen and Novigrad at least up to rescuing Dandelion) into the main quest.

Yeah this is basically where I'm at. drat, this game is huge.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fair enough, but you'd just need to go into that building and find his diary to continue if you want.

I've done all of this. I completed every objective in the mission and found him in the cave and just finished him off because I didn't know what to, which just changed the area he is supposedly in to somewhere in the garden and he is not there. I literally spent 45 minutes checking every inch of the place.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah. That's where the key is. I went back down there and he isn't there. As far as I can tell he just despawned after I fake killed him the last time. I even reloaded and nothing.

I'm just ditching this lovely quest. Good riddance you can suffer for eternity Morkvarg you buggy pos.

go back later. i hosed it up too because i had so many similar looking meat items and chose poorly. i played through a few major plot segments, went back, and he was waiting for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool. I was thinking that might be the best course of action.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The peasant sounds of hawking and snorting and all their nasal spitting fills me with disgust.

Everyone is sick all the time because Radovid killed all the mages, alchemists, and herbalists.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Sharmat posted:

Everyone is sick all the time because Radovid killed all the mages, alchemists, and herbalists.

Except the ones clearly marked on the map, some in public places :v:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You have to use magic to see the minimap, so Radovid doesn't know about those.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uhhh so Witcher 2 is really really boring and uninteresting, the combat boils down to finding enough bear asses to get out of "sword of nerf" tier, and involves switching between dodging, and spamming the stun trap sign. Then I finally kill the giant squid crab thing, and I die like 3x to it, because you're supposed to run up the tower or else you get hit by rocks that one or two shot you, (but there's nothing warning you of that.)

So then you get a really cool interesting story bit, where you get to have fun, and you finally get to unlock parrying which you couldn't do before! But fun time is over because you need to take up like a 9 minute section where you avoid death and walk through a dumb bubble for loving ever.

Oh! And when you get to the cool dwarf town and you have a chance to have fun and be effective, all the enemies get a shitton more armor. So you're back to rubber mallets until you find enough teeth or what the gently caress ever. People say Geralt is a glass cannon, but he does no damage, his damaging sign does no damage, and the only thing that seemed effective were these daggers that do 4x the damage of my sword.

And this is on Normal!

Does it get better? Does the series get better? The story and immersion is what I'm really in for, and I love the divergent gameplay and consequence driven plot. The combat even seems like it could be fun if it was more like Shadow of Mordor or something, but god is it a chore to play. We went from "Jungle with things that are HP sponges," to "Mine with HP Sponges."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Did you download the FCR mod or something? That sounds nothing like my experience at all.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Turtlicious posted:

Does it get better? Does the series get better? The story and immersion is what I'm really in for, and I love the divergent gameplay and consequence driven plot. The combat even seems like it could be fun if it was more like Shadow of Mordor or something, but god is it a chore to play. We went from "Jungle with things that are HP sponges," to "Mine with HP Sponges."

I felt exactly like you. I couldn't stand W1 and the W2 felt like a clunky horrible game with a very interesting story and world of characters. I didn't enjoy either at all. 3 is incredible. It fixes everything I hated, has some of the best combat I've ever played in an RPG (fyi Shadow of Mordor is another huge favorite of mine). If you don't like the first two just move on like I did. Don't beat yourself down with those. I nearly skipped 3 because of the first games and would have missed out on what is possibly my favorite RPG ever if not favorite game in general.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wow I got the worst ending I guess. Ending spoilers: ciri died and I killed the crone. I buried skjall and told her to calm down so I guess I'm a wretched dad. I mostly picked the options I thought were good, less controlling etc. I haven't looked up what choices I actually screwed up on but dang. Killed radovid and had cerys take over Skellige though.

I didn't think it was really really awful though. I'm pleased it wasn't like "well that was obviously the loving worst" as the tone for the entire world pretty well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Wow I got the worst ending I guess. Ending spoilers: ciri died and I killed the crone. I buried skjall and told her to calm down so I guess I'm a wretched dad. I mostly picked the options I thought were good, less controlling etc. I haven't looked up what choices I actually screwed up on but dang. Killed radovid and had cerys take over Skellige though.

I didn't think it was really really awful though. I'm pleased it wasn't like "well that was obviously the loving worst" as the tone for the entire world pretty well.

the game rewards cool dad activities like trashing the guy's study, helping all her friends, and getting wasted with her

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Real hurthling! posted:

the game rewards cool dad activities like trashing the guy's study, helping all her friends, and getting wasted with her

So I looked it up I guess I hosed up because I said calm down and accompanied her when the lodge wanted to talk to her. That's hosed. I helped her friends, got wasted with her, helped bury that guy, and did NOT take her to the emperor or accept money. I basically got the worst ending possible from the best because of ONE wrong decision since I was just over the threshold.

That's more annoying then.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Morkvarg has to be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. I go through all the trouble to break his horrible werewolf curse and he walks off practically singing a happy tune about all the raping and pillaging he's about to do. I kill twenty bandits on my way to the bathroom every morning, Tubsy, what chance did you have

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Morkvarg has to be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. I go through all the trouble to break his horrible werewolf curse and he walks off practically singing a happy tune about all the raping and pillaging he's about to do. I kill twenty bandits on my way to the bathroom every morning, Tubsy, what chance did you have

At least it lets you feel good about taking the most lucrative route get his payment for breaking his curse and the town's payment for killing him afterward.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sharmat posted:

Did you download the FCR mod or something? That sounds nothing like my experience at all.

Idk, maybe? Where can I check?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ending chat Getting wasted with Ciri isn't the good option guys, it's the bad one where you fail to cheer her up or offer her any useful advice. You got the bad ending because the only good option you did was burying Skjall with her.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Morkvarg :
i don't remember when, I think after you explore the cave and find the key so you can ready the diary you can confront the rear end in a top hat who gave you the quest. Turns out he cursed Morkvarg with an enchanted fang or some poo poo. You have three options there:
1- kill them all and take the fang
2 - don't care take fang (which will get you the reward when you kill him)
3 - say they suck after they give you the fang and they laugh at you saying what u going to do lol and then you're locked out of loot from them AND you can't attack them

Anyway with Morkvarg himself you have to talk to him when he's dying. It'll give you the options to talk to him endlessly (he eventually dies and respawns), feed him the flesh (kills him) or give him the fang(cures him)

He then immediately laughs about how he has to make up for lost time. Pretend you don't care and take the reward. Then as he's walking away you can cut him down in one swing.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I've been meaning to come back to this game now that much has been ironed out and was wondering if they addressed any inventory or storage issues, whether that be by expanding storage or giving a permanent storage location or incentivizing uses of materials.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I've been meaning to come back to this game now that much has been ironed out and was wondering if they addressed any inventory or storage issues, whether that be by expanding storage or giving a permanent storage location or incentivizing uses of materials.

Yes. They made the weight of all alchemy and crafting 0, and you now have a "stash" where you can store things that's accessible multiple places. It owns.

However it seems that some people have had issues with it. My game handled it wonderfully (ps4)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Uhhh so Witcher 2 is really really boring and uninteresting, the combat boils down to finding enough bear asses to get out of "sword of nerf" tier, and involves switching between dodging, and spamming the stun trap sign. Then I finally kill the giant squid crab thing, and I die like 3x to it, because you're supposed to run up the tower or else you get hit by rocks that one or two shot you, (but there's nothing warning you of that.)

So then you get a really cool interesting story bit, where you get to have fun, and you finally get to unlock parrying which you couldn't do before! But fun time is over because you need to take up like a 9 minute section where you avoid death and walk through a dumb bubble for loving ever.

Oh! And when you get to the cool dwarf town and you have a chance to have fun and be effective, all the enemies get a shitton more armor. So you're back to rubber mallets until you find enough teeth or what the gently caress ever. People say Geralt is a glass cannon, but he does no damage, his damaging sign does no damage, and the only thing that seemed effective were these daggers that do 4x the damage of my sword.

And this is on Normal!

I didn't start to enjoy combat in W2 (my first Wticher game) until at least halfway through it. The combat is definitly dodge-heavy, but if you are using the correct sword, and your attacks are not being blocked/parried, you should be doing a decent amount of damage. I would say that combat in W2 does get better as you unlock more abilities that make you more effective. I would say that combat in Witcher 3 is a big improvement over 2. Mechanically, it's very similar, but most of the rough edges are smoothed out, and I think you deal comparatively more damage than in W2. The biggest thing though is that combat in Witcher games is it's own thing. Expecting your skills from any other game to transfer in is a mistake. While it might seem similar on the surface, there are just too many mechanical differences for it to viable to play it like you do some other game (Dark Souls, for example).

If you like the story elements of W2 but just can't stand the combat, I think W3 is a big improvement, but just like W2, W3 will punish you if you don't learn to play by it's rules. I would recommend you try to finish W2, both because it's a great story, and because if everythinkg clicks when you play W3, it's going to be super hard to go bvack to W2 combat if you want to go back and finish it. I really want to replay W2 some time, but I'm afraid after hundreds of hours of W3 I will find everything about W2 too clunky.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just finished the game and got the good ending, so I'm pretty much the best dad ever.

Just one question I had lingering due to forgetting about earlier story happenings.

[Involving what happens after you finish the first three big quest threads]

When and why did he get that magical fairy jar that guided him to Ciri?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have a question regarding the main story. Can someone respond without spoiling anything?

I'm at the stage where I can choose to travel to Kaer Morhen. If I do so, will I be able to go back to the other zones and continue exploring/questing, or will the "end sequence" start and I'll be locked into that until I finish the game? Hope that makes sense.

I ask because I got the impression that I've "collected" lots of companions and convinced them to meet me at Kaer Morhen, which feels like preparation for some sort of final battle... but much of Skellige is unexplored and I don't want to beat the game without seeing everything there is to see.

FWIW, I'm level 20, and I've found several armor recipes that are 30+, but I don't know if the game expects me to be near max level before I can beat it.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a quest or a scene where Geralt does fisstech? Ive tried everything

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress. Now my Enhanced griffin swords are level 18, up from 15. This does not help when i do quests that require me to wear a regular shirt and a wooden sword.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Just beat it. drat what a loving game. Good poo poo.

Agreed. Not perfect, as the inventory management was still poo poo, even after the patch. Same with the Resident Evil 1 movement scheme. Even worse was the fighting, even the last boss mocks your twirly flipping fighting style. Seriously Geralt, love ya bud, but can you please fight with a minimum of pirouettes? Otherwise, game was epic and awesome. Got the "best" ending on the first try with no spoilers. Witcher 1 and 2 were a bit dodgy, but 3 was properly epic and amazing. Not perfect, but well worth full price, no question.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

boz posted:

Just finished the game and got the good ending, so I'm pretty much the best dad ever.

Just one question I had lingering due to forgetting about earlier story happenings.

[Involving what happens after you finish the first three big quest threads]

When and why did he get that magical fairy jar that guided him to Ciri?

Avallac'h gives it to you after you fix the curse that turned him into Uma. The glowing fairy thing appears to be Ciri's soul.

enraged_camel posted:

I have a question regarding the main story. Can someone respond without spoiling anything?

I'm at the stage where I can choose to travel to Kaer Morhen. If I do so, will I be able to go back to the other zones and continue exploring/questing, or will the "end sequence" start and I'll be locked into that until I finish the game? Hope that makes sense.

I ask because I got the impression that I've "collected" lots of companions and convinced them to meet me at Kaer Morhen, which feels like preparation for some sort of final battle... but much of Skellige is unexplored and I don't want to beat the game without seeing everything there is to see.

FWIW, I'm level 20, and I've found several armor recipes that are 30+, but I don't know if the game expects me to be near max level before I can beat it.

That's not the end game even though it feels like it. You've got a ton of game left and will return to all the major hubs.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Avallac'h gives it to you after you fix the curse that turned him into Uma. The glowing fairy thing appears to be Ciri's soul.

Thanks! I took a small break after that part and must have completely forgotten.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

For what it's worth I enjoyed W2 way more playing with a gamepad.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The alternative look for Ciri DLC has finally been released on Steam if you were watching out for that.

On W2 chat, it's important to remember that Geralt isn't the best swordsman ever in that world. He's a Witcher who makes himself better than whatever he's fighting through using potions, oils, bombs, signs and tricks. Fight dirty. Use everything at your disposal to give yourself the edge you need. Don't get greedy for hits. Hit twice, maybe 3 times then roll the gently caress away. Do not get surrounded, ever. That's really important so I'll repeat it Do NOT get surrounded. Thin out a crowd, draw an opponent away, finish him off, then do the next. Break up crowds with bombs. Keep Quen up, use Aard or Igni to stagger someone and give you a few seconds to reposition yourself. Read and learn about creatures and their weaknesses and keep potions active at all times. Fight dirty!

Also a gamepad helps a lot like Lord Lambeth said.

Helith fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Helith posted:

On W2 chat, it's important to remember that Geralt isn't the best swordsman ever in that world. He's a Witcher who makes himself better than whatever he's fighting through using potions, oils, bombs, signs and tricks. Fight dirty. Use everything at your disposal to give yourself the edge you need. Don't get greedy for hits. Hit twice, maybe 3 times then roll the gently caress away. Do not get surrounded, ever. That's really important so I'll repeat it Do NOT get surrounded. Thin out a crowd, draw an opponent away, finish him off, then do the next. Break up crowds with bombs. Keep Quen up, use Aard or Igni to stagger someone and give you a few seconds to reposition yourself. Read and learn about creatures and their weaknesses and keep potions active at all times. Fight dirty!

Then you get to That Fight where someone uses all these tricks on you.