Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

CJacobs posted:

Well, yeah, the primary goal of Knightfall is not to fool anyone into thinking Batman is dead. The criminals in the ending are just part of the dumb group that would think Bruce actually died in the explosion. Logically, smarter people like the supervillains would know better than that but Batman killing off Bruce was not done for them, it was done for Batman's benefit. The goal is to eliminate Bruce Wayne so that Batman can never get anyone in danger again by being Bruce. Since the ruse is up, Bruce serves no more purpose to Batman, ergo it's better to get rid of him because he'd only be a liability as a persona after that.

Right but that doesn't really make sense because it only takes the villains going "Hey, that dude flying around as Batman? Definitely still Bruce Wayne. Been fighting that dude for years, I know what that man's fist in my face looks like." And sure, people might initially roll their eyes but it'll get them thinking. What's actually more the more likely scenario? That Bruce Wayne, a man who has been Batman for more than a decade and has defied death countless times, got chumped in an explosion, or is it more likely that Bats faked it to give himself some breathing room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, that is true, but you aren't getting what I'm saying, which is that that part of it doesn't matter and was not Batman's real intention (I even said that in my post). If there's no Bruce Wayne, Bruce Wayne cannot know anybody that could be connected to Batman. Everybody Batman knows is now connected directly to him through secrecy and therefore he has no public image. With no public image, there's nobody to target except for Batman himself.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 20, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Funky Valentine posted:

This is also how Dark Knight Returns ended, and since everyone has a hard-on for that story for some reason, it's the most likely answer as to what is actually going on.

...That's not how it ended at all. Bats 'died' and he basically started training a new generation-he'd finally found something to live for, and as 'Bruce,' not Bats. Are you thinking of that one alternate ending from the back of one of the copies? Where Supes beat him, the goverment were going to pump him for info, but he dies as Bruce, and goes full-on Bat-King?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah didn't he (spoilers for a book older than me) take the Sons and such to train them as Bruce or whatever? .

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yes, that is true, but you aren't getting what I'm saying, which is that that part of it doesn't matter and was not Batman's real intention (I even said that in my post). If there's no Bruce Wayne, Bruce Wayne cannot know anybody that could be connected to Batman. Everybody Batman knows is now connected directly to him through secrecy and therefore he has no public image. With no public image, there's nobody to target except for Batman himself.

I guess, but I don't see why he bothered in that case when he could have just as easily hosed off to whatever hidden place he's going to be in without faking his death. Faking his death is ultimately a completely pointless act when he's just going to come back as Batman again. And it doesn't even really protect anybody - Bruce Wayne's adopted sons are still going to be a target (and obvious suspects for Nightwing and Robin), Lucius is now a huge target and so is everybody with the audacity to work for Wayne Enterprise, and all of Bruce Wayne's ex-girlfriends and flings are a matter of public record so they're boned.

They should have just loving killed him and been done with it. The whole thing smacks of trying to have their cake and eat it too because actually dying would have been huge and impactful but faking it just doesn't make any goddamn sense

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Lucius is going to get a ton of flak, isn't he? :(

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lucius is going to get a ton of flak, isn't he? :(

Lucius is loving dead - it won't take the Rogues long to realize who made all of Batman's lovely toys.

Actually, it occurs to me as well that there's probably going to be a HUGE investigation into Wayne Ent. Investors aren't going to be happy to learn that the company was secretly bankrolling Batman (even if it was ultimately Wayne's personal money, the company is still involved in the production of all his poo poo).

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 20, 2015

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Has anyone gotten the soundtrack for this game? I really loved City's music but the soundtrack was missing some of the best themes, like Ra's al Ghul's boss music or the tracks that played in Wonder City areas. I just want to know if this one has everything or a small fraction of the in-game music.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I have to solve every riddle in the city in order to punch the smug bastard in his face? Wow, 243 riddles. Yeah I'm definitely not doing this.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm at 240/243 and I think two of them are bugged. One is a riddle in the Studios that I think just became available, the other two are in Stagg's airships. In the map it's the Trophy labelled 1 here: http://www.gosunoob.com/batman-arkham-knight/stagg-airships-riddler-trophies/

There is also a breakable next to it but neither the trophy nor the breakable are there. I'm pretty sure I got the trophy my very first time through the airship. I was so close too :sigh:

EDIT: nevermind, I forgot there was another room below the foyer so they were right on top of eachother. One riddle in the studios and I'm done.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 20, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
WHY THE CHRIST gently caress do the Batmobile controls go all to poo poo once the excavator starts chasing you down a tunnel fffffffffffffffffffff

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 20, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

redbackground posted:

WHY THE CHRIST gently caress do the Batmobile controls go all to poo poo once the excavator starts chasing you down a tunnel fffffffffffffffffffff

Because God hates us.

I yelled "loving PAC-MAN!?" and turned off the game for the night.

The dual takedown sequence with Robin is easily one of my favorite things the series has ever done. But the lows in this game are so very, very low.

the cloudburst sequence as a whole was just an ugly unfun affair.

Its hilarious that the game has finally developed a great complexity to its combat and stealth sequences... and there's not nearly enough challenge maps to keep me playing.

I'd love a map where I can just punch the heck out of the sword ninja dudes. But alas alas.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why is there only one Dual Play Predator segment?

Seriously, WTF?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Isn't it kinda hosed up that batman's students (like, say robin, batgirl, nightwing) would...uh study under him for an indeterminate amount of years and all of a sudden this dude who comes out of nowhere prior to city, who knows how to make fiery bat-shaped crop circles...is able to be the successor?

I mean is this like a comic book thing, or something you can actually reason with?

also, seriously, what the gently caress. Rocksteady made too little challenges. Your lovely rear end Arkham Season Pass won't be enough for the content you actually normally put out on your games. It's loving sad that you have to wait until possibly Christmas to get the full game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fargin Icehole posted:

Isn't it kinda hosed up that batman's students (like, say robin, batgirl, nightwing) would...uh study under him for an indeterminate amount of years and all of a sudden this dude who comes out of nowhere prior to city, who knows how to make fiery bat-shaped crop circles...is able to be the successor?

I mean is this like a comic book thing, or something you can actually reason with?
It's what happened in the comics, yeah.

Bane breaks Batman's back, Batman appoints Azrael as his successor, Batman realises it's a loving huge mistake, recovers and then fights Azrael.

E: The two more recent times Batman has been replaced it's been by Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon, but in both those cases Bruce wasn't around to make the choice.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 20, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: The two more recent times Batman has been replaced it's been by Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon, but in both those cases Bruce wasn't around to make the choice.

I think the first time that happened, Dick as Batman is fighting Joker who cracks some terrible joke.... and Dick cracks one right back. Joker gets all super-pissed because BATMAN'S NOT SUPPOSED TO JOKE BACK! :supaburn:

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I guess, but I don't see why he bothered in that case when he could have just as easily hosed off to whatever hidden place he's going to be in without faking his death. Faking his death is ultimately a completely pointless act when he's just going to come back as Batman again. And it doesn't even really protect anybody - Bruce Wayne's adopted sons are still going to be a target (and obvious suspects for Nightwing and Robin), Lucius is now a huge target and so is everybody with the audacity to work for Wayne Enterprise, and all of Bruce Wayne's ex-girlfriends and flings are a matter of public record so they're boned.

They should have just loving killed him and been done with it. The whole thing smacks of trying to have their cake and eat it too because actually dying would have been huge and impactful but faking it just doesn't make any goddamn sense

I'm under the impression that Bruce Wayne/Batman is dead, and wasn't expecting to see the sunrise as soon as poo poo started to get real with Scarecrow. He tells Nightwing they'll never meet again, monologues to Catwoman about the need for a new hero for Gotham, has at least one Gotham story dedicated to the fact that he's apparently living on borrowed time thanks to Joker's horseshit--even Alfred seems to be under the impression that Batman is over once every one of the rogues are rounded up. Gordon is certainly under the impression that he's dead, for whatever it's worth. The red bat on the back of the Red Hood's jacket feels like an In Memoriam thing to me too, but seeing as the dude has no real lines after he's beaten as the Arkham Knight it's kinda hard to tell.

I don't think we're supposed to have any clue as to the broad-strokes identity and methodology of the new Batman at the end, so much as we're supposed to understand it to mean that Batman's legend still has power even in his death, and that even Scarecrow's coup de grace ultimately failed.

I mean, in a perfect world it would be the bridge to a Batman Beyond-ish game with a competent team of writers at the helm, but we don't live in one of those, so...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think the first time that happened, Dick as Batman is fighting Joker who cracks some terrible joke.... and Dick cracks one right back. Joker gets all super-pissed because BATMAN'S NOT SUPPOSED TO JOKE BACK! :supaburn:
And then Damian (as Robin) tries to beat up the Joker using a crowbar.

The Dick / Damian dynamic duo was one of the best Batman-related things in years.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How did Bruce react to Dick being Batman?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

redbackground posted:

Use the first person Batmobile :ssh:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How did Bruce react to Dick being Batman?

He let him keep being Batman in Gotham while Bruce went and did stuff with the Justice League and recruited other people to be Batman all over the world.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

He let him keep being Batman in Gotham while Bruce went and did stuff with the Justice League and recruited other people to be Batman all over the world.

Oh, that's the Batman Incorporated thing, right? Sounds kind of strange.

I'm kind of curious about seeing those panels of Dick Batman vs. Joker and making a joke at him, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I don't get the extreme love for the dual predator bit. It felt like one of the least robust features in the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I don't get the extreme love for the dual predator bit. It felt like one of the least robust features in the game.

It's got obvious potential, works thematically, and wasn't driven into the ground with overuse. The one instance we saw was very straightforward but it's not hard to imagine how it could be expanded.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The way I look at the dual predator love is a bit like the way the old challenge maps were set up. I exhaustively played Arkham City's challenge maps with every character. Why wouldn't they do the same sort of thing but with some medal mix-ups for Arkham Knight? Either have a challenge with medals between the two characters or make some special ones just for dual predator takedowns. The way they poo poo up the challenge mode is probably my biggest gripe, why would you take out the core replayability of your game? poo poo, just make it like Arkham City's challenges but with more options for pair-ups. Catwoman against Knight militia! Robin against Penguin thugs! Batman and Catwoman dual predator, scratch that minigunner's eyes out!

I feel like the movie studios was one of the better setpieces in the game and it's because it really capitalized on the concept of their new dual mechanics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The movie studio was the best part of the game for sure. Song, dual predator mode and that Goliath fight wasn't so bad either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Have they said anything about the PC version since their last non-statement about working on it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Have they said anything about the PC version since their last non-statement about working on it?

On Friday, they said they'll put out an "interim patch" in August.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still can't believe how hosed this game is, and how long it's taken them to even begin to un-gently caress it. I'm assuming they haven't said anything beyond that release regarding when PC will start seeing DLC releases then? I was an idiot who pre-ordered the season pass.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

I still can't believe how hosed this game is, and how long it's taken them to even begin to un-gently caress it. I'm assuming they haven't said anything beyond that release regarding when PC will start seeing DLC releases then? I was an idiot who pre-ordered the season pass.

Nah, nothing about that.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Incredible they haven't said anything about making it up to their fanbase. No discount, no extra content, nothin'. That takes some balls.

Arkham Knight is the first game that really makes me want to dig into the challenge mode... and its also the first game to really gimp the experience. Baffling.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they hosed it up pretty bad.

I guess. I never play the challenges, and I must have the only PC in the world the game works properly on.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah they hosed it up pretty bad.

I guess. I never play the challenges, and I must have the only PC in the world the game works properly on.

Mine works as well.

But i think their biggest gently caress up since launch was totally loosing control of the message the only info we are getting is from leaks. Look at the community manager for the witcher 3 on twitter, he responds to questions and posts meaningful news.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I did all the Riddler challenges (Annoyingly I thought you get to him from just getting all of his trophies, not from doing *everything*) and I still can't believe Rocksteady basically hid the ending to the game behind all that. I know they're claiming 'oh it's just a bonus thing' but no. Given how much they play up how this is the complete part of a trilogy you can't go hiding the actual end behind some lovely challenges that took almost as long as it took me to finish the main game.

Everything related to the Arkham Knight just didn't quite work. Storywise, it's a good idea, but the execution is off. The scarecrow stuff was great though and completed the Batman/Joker arc really well.

There's not really a lot to them, but I actually liked the extra detail given with those Gotham Stories. Though it's a little hard to reconcile Batman's 'no killing' rule when it's revealed that Joker murdered a bunch of kids, cut them up and mixed up the body parts before stitching them back together. For that matter, Calender Man's new Calender is hilariously overwrought, though it does end on a good joke.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

Incredible they haven't said anything about making it up to their fanbase. No discount, no extra content, nothin'. That takes some balls.

Arkham Knight is the first game that really makes me want to dig into the challenge mode... and its also the first game to really gimp the experience. Baffling.

They were okay with running in and selling even challenge maps of all things in a $40 season pass for every version. They made a lot of different types of Bat family characters to play as with no where to play them in because this is first and foremost a batmoblie game. Stealth is baby mode easy and in a game partially about the scarecrow, you don't have to earn the "I don't want to play the game" fear take down button. Thugs also don't shoot at shadows and you don't really scare them anymore.

WB never cared if people got mad and could live with horrible bugs like rain inside of buildings, they just didn't anticipate steam refunds actually being able to hurt them.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 20, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm really not sure why they didn't tie Jason Todd and Barbara's trauma together. Have the Joker paralyze barbara, and have THAT be the reason Jason flies off on his own to try and kill the joker.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Chasiubao posted:

Use the first person Batmobile :ssh:

First Person batmobile seems to be the game's best kept secret. It makes precision car stuff so much more tolerable.

I really enjoyed the Cloudburst fight, but I enjoy the tank in general. I didn't love the Excavator though because if you mess up, you don't really have the opportunity to recover. However, if you use first person mode, it's a ton easier and then you don't have to worry about Batmobile-ing for a little while.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
First-person view made that excavator fight a million times easier. Thanks. It was like the game was artificially trying to slow down the batmobile so as to keep the excavator close (otherwise you'd be plowing past it), and it made every control much less responsive. Super janky.

I haven't played the Batgirl dlc (and who knows when I'll be able to) but from what I know of it, it seems like a great, lost opportunity to do some solid character work with Barbara and Jason. The timeline fits for this to be say, Jason's last Robin outing--give this mission some added weight, even if we as the player don't know it at the time--whether he's just become too frustrated, or foolhardy, it ends with him running off on his own for what he considers a good reason (feeling like he doesn't need Bats to lead him, tired of taking orders, etc, and maybe the mission is hosed right from the beginning to Jason thinking he's got things under control) and this would be the time for the player to actually sympathize with him, through Barbara's eyes, and it allows these two characters to bounce off each other who we've never seen in action before. But it sounds like it's just Light Flirting with Tim and Barbara. Whee.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 20, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i'm glad steam refund is a thing that exists and this game was the sacrificial lamb to ensure maybe WB will loving QA test Mad Max

I youtubed the ending because gently caress riddler trophies. idk what the debate is because it seems pretty obvious the last moment is nothing more than
"this is how people perceive batman, as a scary fucker" as opposed to "bruce is dead / bruce is alive and only batman / he's using fear gas" but who knows. the ending, along with never loving mentioning red hood again, is a terribly ambiguous whatever moment that is cobbled literally from Batman 1989 and Dark Knight Rises. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A couple of things about this game that I haven't seen mentioned that I find interesting:

1. Seamless interiors/exteriors are loving awesome and how come no one has mentioned this? I didn't expect another game to get this right so soon after Witcher 3.

2. Based on a couple of enemy encounters and the Arkham Knight itself, a lot of this game seems to be Batman's first time meeting some folks and a bit of "originy" stuff for other character. I never got the impression from Asylum/City that this game took place before the whole Bat-Family was established, but Arkham Knight seems to be going that route. When Bats first resolved the "mystery" of Manbat, I was like "WTF I thought he already knew that?"

• Locked thread