Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I think that's just a product of pop culture not fitting into calendar decades. It was either here or in another 90s thread, but the general consensus was that the 90s ended with 9/11. Also, watch Freaks and Geeks for a good example of this. It's set in 1980/81 and yet everything is 70s as hell.

You ever want to get an accurate idea of what average, ordinary people looked like from the late '70s to today, take a look at this website, click on a year, and then click on the LPI interns pic.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi_40th/

That's pretty much what the 1980s looked like in a nutshell. Not everyone looked like Madonna and Don Johnson throughout the entire decade as "lol the '80s!!!" Hollywood and TV want you to believe. And if we're going by fashion alone, the 1970s really didn't end until 1984, the '80s didn't end until 1992, and the '90s didn't end until 2001, so good accuracy on goons, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, parody nostalgia seems to identify decades by their most ridiculous pop cultury style. Probably the most typical look for an adult dude at the time was a mustache, no beard, hair parted to one side. At work he's wearing a 3-piece suit. At play a polo or lacoste shirt.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

You Are A Elf posted:

You ever want to get an accurate idea of what average, ordinary people looked like from the late '70s to today, take a look at this website, click on a year, and then click on the LPI interns pic.

That's pretty much what the 1980s looked like in a nutshell. Not everyone looked like Madonna and Don Johnson throughout the entire decade as "lol the '80s!!!" Hollywood and TV want you to believe. And if we're going by fashion alone, the 1970s really didn't end until 1984, the '80s didn't end until 1992, and the '90s didn't end until 2001, so good accuracy on goons, I guess.

Almost none of the clothes in the 78 picture would be out of place today.

To be fair, the fashion of the last 10 years has very much been a revival of 70's trends anyway so that might make sense.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ZDar Fan posted:

The only thing worse than Aqua is an Aqua knock-off

https://youtu.be/IlDjEd8gAkI
Ah yes, Aqua knockoffs. I remember there being several of these in the late 90s, and they all were dreadful. I may have enjoyed some of them at the time because I was a stupid kid. :eng99:

I still think that Toy-Box video is pretty funny, though, despite the girl's voice hurting my ears. It's got dudes in the world's cheapest ape costumes dancing like idiots, and that dopey :pervert: eurotrash Tarzan is perfect.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

You Are A Elf posted:

You also can't judge the fashions based on what a bunch of science nerds wore either.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

Almost none of the clothes in the 78 picture would be out of place today.

To be fair, the fashion of the last 10 years has very much been a revival of 70's trends anyway so that might make sense.

A grown man in a Rush v-neck is the epitome of fashion in tyool 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Like I said, it doesn't really "feel" like the 90's started until grunge and gangsta rap took over. Both completely changed music, fashion, and the general attitude of the youth of America. Before that was all day-glo colors and parachute pants.

There is a certain degree of symbolism in Nevermind replacing Dangerous by Michael Jackson at number-one on the album charts.

Just as there's a certain degree of symbolism in Nevermind being replaced itself after one week by a Garth Brooks album that was number-one for about three months.

It's curious that while the 1990s are the decade when grunge and gangsta rap (and "alternative" music more generally) broke through, the biggest-selling artists of the decade in America were people like Céline Dion, Bryan Adams, Garth Brooks and Mariah Carey. Of course, I suppose that's true of any decade - I was recently reading about all these largely forgotten British pop groups from the 1960s who spent more time on the sales charts than the Kinks, the Who and the Small Faces put together.

One thing I think is quite interesting is how all modern country is basically eighties arena rock with southern accents, cowboy hats and occasionally steel guitars - the basic thrust of the idea is that when grunge became popular, the entire network of producers and session musicians who worked on basically every single record that came out of Los Angeles since around 1976 all found themselves out of fashion, so they all went to Nashville, which still had the kind of system they were used to. Guys like Dann Huff, Van Stephenson, Mitch Malloy and (most famously) Mutt Lange, who were huge names in mainstream country music for most of the 2000s, were all in hair metal bands, wrote songs for hair metal bands or produced hair metal bands in the 1980s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i have a book I nabbed cheap that is the top 100 albums of the 90s by sales, and the top 10 looks like this

10 Baby one more Time - Britney Spears
9 Ropin' the Wind - Garth Brooks
8 Self Titled - Backstreet Boys
7 Supernatural - Santana
6 Double Live - Garth Brooks
5 No Fences - Garth Brooks
4 Cracked Rear Veiw - Hootie and the Blowfish
3 Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morrissette
2 OST - The Bodyguard
1 Come on Over - Shania Twain

We tend to remember the good stuff, that had some kind of impact culturally rather than just poo poo that sold well. I think music nerds get too hung up on sales sometimes and ignore that no matter the decade, most of the best selling stuff is forgettable crap.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Leon Einstein posted:

You also can't judge the fashions based on what a bunch of science nerds wore either.

No, that's pretty much what people wore. Just crack open a photo album the next time you're at your parents' house.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

That is the weirdest typo I have ever seen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Something to include with that billboard talk is that the 90's was also peak soccer-mom time for the baby boomers. So it's only natural that the generation that disposable income reached it's plateau at before declining would dominate sales figures, and buy the most vanilla soft adult contemporary and country that tangentially sounded like the songs from when they were young enough to still be kinda hip to pop culture stuff. This was also when MTV was at its swansong, transitioning its paradigm to being no longer about music by the end of the decade. Music television was always a double-edged sword of "hey, there's a new song I see, I'll buy the album!" vs "Meh, I'll just wait til they show the video again and not spend my money" and cable in homes was much bigger in the 90's than the 80's (see the above about the baby boomers) so that effect was felt a lot stronger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Something to include with that billboard talk is that the 90's was also peak soccer-mom time for the baby boomers. So it's only natural that the generation that disposable income reached it's plateau at before declining would dominate sales figures, and buy the most vanilla soft adult contemporary and country that tangentially sounded like the songs from when they were young enough to still be kinda hip to pop culture stuff. This was also when MTV was at its swansong, transitioning its paradigm to being no longer about music by the end of the decade. Music television was always a double-edged sword of "hey, there's a new song I see, I'll buy the album!" vs "Meh, I'll just wait til they show the video again and not spend my money" and cable in homes was much bigger in the 90's than the 80's (see the above about the baby boomers) so that effect was felt a lot stronger.

One other point that bears mentioning is that for a large part of the 1990s, the Hot 100 only took account of songs that sold a lot of physical singles, but there were lots of songs that were hugely popular radio hits but, because they either weren't released as physical singles or only had limited releases, didn't make it onto the Hot 100 chart (though these songs tended to be really huge on the airplay chart). The famous examples: "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia, "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls, "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, more than one Oasis song (I think the big one was "Champagne Supernova" but, while "Wonderwall" was a Top 10 Hot 100 hit, it would've gone all the way to number-one if Billboard had factored in airplay at the time).

One funny story from a couple of years ago when they changed the formula for their genre charts - for a long time, the country chart (for example) was compiled based exclusively on airplay figures reported by country radio stations, but then Billboard introduced new rules which meant that all airplay (and I think sales and streaming) of country songs would be taken into account. Seems fair enough; it should present a clearer picture of what country fans are buying and listening to. The only problem was that Billboard proceeded to put "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" by Taylor Swift at the top of the country chart because it was a huge pop hit, even though country fans had rejected it, and everybody accused Billboard of changing the rules to benefit Taylor Swift individually (because apparently the editor of the magazine is a huge creep about her). So you had the ridiculous spectacle of Billboard spending the ensuing weeks desperately trying to cast "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" as a "pop-leaning" country song.

:spergin:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

There are many things from the 90's that I miss. That hairstyle is not one of them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i have a book I nabbed cheap that is the top 100 albums of the 90s by sales, and the top 10 looks like this

10 Baby one more Time - Britney Spears
9 Ropin' the Wind - Garth Brooks
8 Self Titled - Backstreet Boys
7 Supernatural - Santana
6 Double Live - Garth Brooks
5 No Fences - Garth Brooks
4 Cracked Rear Veiw - Hootie and the Blowfish
3 Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morrissette
2 OST - The Bodyguard
1 Come on Over - Shania Twain

We tend to remember the good stuff, that had some kind of impact culturally rather than just poo poo that sold well. I think music nerds get too hung up on sales sometimes and ignore that no matter the decade, most of the best selling stuff is forgettable crap.

Bit late to the discussion but this is so drat true of every decade. The 70's which are remembered for basically the best era of music was just chock filled with absolute garbage constantly in the charts.

In a similar vein, up until recently I really disliked a lot of 80's music due to the over saturation of a plethora of really pretty average 80's pop music. But once youve peeled off the layer of crap you realize there were a lot of bands back then that released some drat good music.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember seeing a lot of trash music coming from Europe and stuff like Eiffel 65 and Crazy Frog just baffled me. Not that our music was much better with things like Thong Song heating up the charts.

"Axel F" made it to #1 on the UK Billboard Singles Chart back in '05, beating loving Coldplay to the top. They don't get to make fun of any garbage music we produce ever ever.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

stuff like Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog had a visible dick and starred in not one but two kart-racing games.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Star Man posted:

There are many things from the 90's that I miss. That hairstyle is not one of them.

Eh, it's not so bad.

I prefer it over the hugely popular hair style from the mid (?) 2000's where the hair was mostly pulled back into a pony tail, except for one "tuft" in the front that was pulled up slightly? Hard to describe, but you know what I'm talking about, right? I feel like Paris Hilton's hair was usually in that style, if that helps you picture it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Axel F" made it to #1 on the UK Billboard Singles Chart back in '05, beating loving Coldplay to the top.

I'm actually not surprised by that. Even if the weird Crazy Frog toasting thing they added over the top was really, really annoying, you can still dance to "Axel F". Coldplay's stock in trade was and still is immeasurably dull dirge music.

A couple of years ago, I did a Sporcle quiz on the biggest singles in the UK in the 1990s, I've just remembered.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm actually not surprised by that. Even if the weird Crazy Frog toasting thing they added over the top was really, really annoying, you can still dance to "Axel F". Coldplay's stock in trade was and still is immeasurably dull dirge music.

Plus, Family Guy can reference Axel F and make it hilarious...don't think the same can be said for Coldplay tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qfMIhV1UJE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

Plus, Family Guy can reference Axel F and make it hilarious...don't think the same can be said for Coldplay tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qfMIhV1UJE

You do realize that the song was a big hit in the 80's, several decades before "Crazy Frog" covered it, right?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eh, it's not so bad.

I prefer it over the hugely popular hair style from the mid (?) 2000's where the hair was mostly pulled back into a pony tail, except for one "tuft" in the front that was pulled up slightly? Hard to describe, but you know what I'm talking about, right? I feel like Paris Hilton's hair was usually in that style, if that helps you picture it.

I know exactly the style you're talking about. It was just like, a big floof of hair, right on top for no reason. I have no idea what popular thing/person started it. Google is failing me because I have no idea what that style is actually called or who it was based on, and nobody I've spoken to knows either. We all called it the "floof" when it was around. (I think a friend stumbled between "poof" and "fluff" when asked what it was, and it stuck for us). I might ask right on FB because it's bugging me now.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
that's called a bump

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

You do realize that the song was a big hit in the 80's, several decades before "Crazy Frog" covered it, right?
He thinks Family Guy is funny. Question answered.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

InediblePenguin posted:

that's called a bump

Bam. Thank you.

Seriosuly, look at this poo poo:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I like the bump.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

More useless bumping of threads...

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Leon Einstein posted:

I like the bump.

I do too, even if I don't have the hair (or face) for it. Regular ponytails are boring.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Watching the show right now. 2 attractive women who are young mothers beating each other up and one of the women is twerking on the stripper pole.

How far we've come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIk1_hHC1f4

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
This would never happen today

quote:

JERRY: The most off-putting thing that ever happened on the show? Well... oh, I know!
The thing that made me angriest. Well, one I don't get angry very much, but I certainly don't get angry on the show, because it's a show.
And the show is about outrageous behavior, so I can't say "How dare you say that?!" because that's what the show is about. Just like if you're a judge, you can't say "Oh my gosh, I don't want to deal with criminals" because that's what your job is.
But the time is - I lost it -
STEVE: I restrained you. I did.
JERRY: The only time I lost it is when we had a neo-nazi on the show.
STEVE: I don't think he was a neo-nazi, I think he was some kind of priest from Utah. Big dude. And he was saying to Jerry all kind of really bad stuff, because he had people die in the Holocaust, he said something about making your mother into a lampshade, and he was going to keep her in the trunk, and Jerry just charged at the guy - only time on the show I ever had to grab him!
JERRY: I don't know what I was going to do when I got there.
STEVE: But it looked good.
JERRY: but only when you guys had him on the ground did i go "come on! come on!" That's the only time I ever lost my temper on the show.
STEVE: That guy was a real piece of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szv7XYYkx_A

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The quoted lines are much more fun to read if, like me, your mind immediately assumed it was Jerry Seinfeld before clicking the link.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

twistedmentat posted:

My favorite music fact is that the best-selling indie record of all time is Smash by The Offspring

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

i'm sure we all remember the dangers of "caffeine pills"

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rickycat posted:

i'm sure we all remember the dangers of "caffeine pills"

My girlfriend is rewatching 7th Heaven right now, and in addition to having a great episode about weed which portrays it as being about as bad as crack it then later has an episode where everyone thinks it's AOK for the grandpa character to smoke everywhere. He smokes cigars around children, he smokes cigars in cars, HE SMOKES A CIGAR IS A loving ORPHANAGE. It's very interesting how perceptions about those things have changed in the mainstream in the past 20 years.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
7th Heaven always seemed like the creepiest loving show, you just knew that dark waters ran beneath the surface. Then if course it turns out the dad was a pedo.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There were a lot of CG characters in music videos in the late 90's/early 2000's. But the only examples I can think of right now are Blue Da Ba De and Strawberry Kisses by Nikki Webster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNKLn0A-1CM

In case you're wondering why that exists, Nikki Webster was in the 2000 Olympics opening ceremony the year before.

My class was forced to dance to this song in grade 2 for an assembly. I recently discovered that it wasn't something from Nickelodeon. It actually charted and played on the radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0p3jn7ODuc

Edit: Jesus christ, that album went triple platinum. Thank god I'm not old enough to remember that year.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Aug 3, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Celery Face posted:

There were a lot of CG characters in music videos in the late 90's/early 2000's.

It wasn't just the late 1990s - check out the video for "Let's Get Rocked" by Def Leppard, which is from about 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Celery Face posted:

My class was forced to dance to this song in grade 2 for an assembly. I recently discovered that it wasn't something from Nickelodeon. It actually charted and played on the radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0p3jn7ODuc

Edit: Jesus christ, that album went triple platinum. Thank god I'm not old enough to remember that year.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the 5th grade having to dance to Hangin' Tough for a school assembly. It might have even been a medley with Right Stuff included. Judging by the copyright on the video, it was a couple of years after it was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By86PcLufOU

(Thankfully, I was not in 5th grade.)