Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Great Beer posted:

It's spinner sucked, its lifter was terrible, and the wedge was too high to be useful. About time something on that robot worked.

It's insanely fast and agile though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
And that's why Bronco will beat Tombstone. Survive the spinner's first hit, flip him, and you win.
(Yes I know Tombstone is invertible, but a few flips from Bronco will destroy him.)

Really impressed with Ghost Raptor dude's ingenuity.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxi3vXNwGk

Chuck Pitzer 2 weeks ago
"Yea, cool idea, but it was a rush job. By the time I started to realize some of the weaknesses, it was too late to redesign and get materials shipped. I had to keep chopping material out of the bar and the head until it was just a windowed-out skeleton and thin-gauge tubing. My final check-in weight was 248.8lbs. Max allowable weight was 250.0."

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Let this be a lesson to all bot makers that they really need to consider adding a mechanism to right itself in the event of a flip.

Ice Wave needed some kind of piston at the top to perhaps right itself once upside down.

It's two thousand and mother loving fifteen, son! :bahgawd:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

Let this be a lesson to all bot makers that they really need to consider adding a mechanism to right itself in the event of a flip.

Ice Wave needed some kind of piston at the top to perhaps right itself once upside down.

Its basically a major design flaw and I don't think they could put a piston strong enough at the top to fit with its ICE.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Its basically a major design flaw and I don't think they could put a piston strong enough at the top to fit with its ICE.
Yeah, you are prolly right.

Ice Wave v Bronco would be a poo poo show match anyways since if one of Bronco's flips lands Ice Wave on it's head (which because most on it's weight is there it likely has a greater % of landing tits up) Ice Wave is obviously dunso.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thank god the cat ear wearing mit fags lost

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
I want to see a Tombstone vs. Ghost Raptor final just to watch the de-icer do the same thing again :allears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TNO posted:

I want to see a Tombstone vs. Ghost Raptor final just to watch the de-icer do the same thing again :allears:

Would take a lot more effort to get it positioned right since tombstone is so much lower to the ground... However the chances are probably high that Ghost Raptor will get into the finals... despite losing their main weapon in round 1.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's interesting how hard the kinetic energy bots have fallen off. Everybody who has made it this far seems able to take a hit without problems, where in the openers the robots were falling to pieces and losing wheels after being grazed by those spinners, and now its just two robots flying mostly intact when the hit happens.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'm so sad that WD couldn't self-right. It was tossing Tombstone around the whole time and would have easily won if it got back on its feet. :(

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Philip Rivers posted:

I'm so sad that WD couldn't self-right. It was tossing Tombstone around the whole time and would have easily won if it got back on its feet. :(

That was more Tombstone tossing itself around, but yeah, WD could have won that match if it was invertable. I can't think of many good reasons to not make an invertable bot, but sadly one of those reasons is "because you need to put your IC engine above the blade due to its size"

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 20, 2015

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

WD can self-right, but it's weapon (which is what it uses to do so) broke in the same hit that broke Tombstone's weapon.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

That was more Tombstone tossing itself around, but yeah, WD could have won that match if it was invertable. I can't think of many good reasons to not make an invertable bot, but sadly one of those reasons is "because you need to put your ICE engine above the blade due to its size"

Tombstone made the flailing look more dramatic but drums pack a very strong punch and WD was clearly putting a lot of hurt onto Tombstone. WD won the head on collisions every time I think, except for another unlucky KO.

Battlebots is rigged and Witch Doctor got jobbed, fix is in, dropping the show.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

GuavaMoment posted:

That was more Tombstone tossing itself around, but yeah, WD could have won that match if it was invertable. I can't think of many good reasons to not make an invertable bot, but sadly one of those reasons is "because you need to put your IC engine above the blade due to its size"

Someone on reddit pointed this out, but apparently WD can invert without the drum spinning. Normally the raised bit would cause it to tilt backwards on to its rear wheels where it could use the wall or its own momentum to land upright. The weight of the armor on front shifted the center of mass enough that it fell forward instead. You can see this in action during the fight with bronco when it first gets flipped.

Edit: speaking of witch Doctor: I wouldn't expect to see shaman come back:
https://youtu.be/DZLs52pRQis

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 20, 2015

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Holy poo poo bronco :stare:

Witchdoctor would have won if it could have righted itself. Why people design bots that can't self right is beyond me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can. The extra armour they added to beat Nightmare messed up its balance for self righting though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Someone on reddit pointed this out, but apparently WD can invert without the drum spinning. Normally the raised bit would cause it to tilt backwards on to its rear wheels where it could use the wall or its own momentum to land upright. The weight of the armor on front shifted the center of mass enough that it fell forward instead. You can see this in action during the fight with bronco when it first gets flipped.

Edit: speaking of witch Doctor: I wouldn't expect to see shaman come back:
https://youtu.be/DZLs52pRQis

If they just make Witch Doctor primarily a Drum spinner bot with mods for armor and stuff, it'd probably take care of 60-75% of bots with little to no effort. If they have enough room, they could add a second drum for even more carnage.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Really hope we see Witch Doctor in another competition. With some design tweaks it could be one of the dopest bots out there. That fight with Tombstone was great. Bronco vs Stinger was everything I had hoped for.

Honestly they only dull match was Bite Force versus Overhaul. Is there anything more boring than two grapple bots squaring off? Complain about wedges and flippers all you'd like but at least you don't have to wait for the decision. Whole thing was just an excuse for the announcers to talk about finesse and driving technique like they know a drat thing about death bots. At least Cat Ears and Red Tips lost.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
tombstone vs witch doctor was the best fight of the season so far. most of these fights have been super one-sided but there's something satisfying about seeing two well-made and extremely dangerous machines trade blows like that. all of the hits were great. never saw that ending coming

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The Whole Internet posted:

tombstone vs witch doctor was the best fight of the season so far. most of these fights have been super one-sided but there's something satisfying about seeing two well-made and extremely dangerous machines trade blows like that. all of the hits were great. never saw that ending coming

I think this fight really showed the weakness of Tombstone. If TS can't knock a bot out in the first few blows then the Stone has nothing to offer - it doesn't seem to have the weight to play push or a secondary weapon to bring. Against an armored bot like Bronco I'm not sure Tombstone has the stamina to survive a round. I get a feeling that Tombstone is going to get knocked around and up, lose another blade, and the matchup.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What happened to Shaman?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Shaman was taken out to make weight for the big heavy plow on Witch Doctor. I'm worried Bronco vs Tombstone will be another cheap ringout. The design of the arena seems to favor flippers. But that fight showed that Tombstone can survive a lot of abuse. Usually spinners die when they get flung like that. Tombstone kept going; I think it'll have more chances to take a bite out of Bronco.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Those sparks :magical:

Those flames :suspense:

mashed fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 20, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm still stunned the De-Icer actually worked :stare: Ghost Raptor manged to win three fights with a busted bot and some great improvisation each time. Just give him the trophy.

Shame Tombstone/Bronco is a semi instead of the final

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How strong are the walls? If Tombstone gets launched into the wall with the blade spinning, can it damage them?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Witch Doctor is the one with the team that's actually dressed cool and in theme with their robot. Not the MIT turbo nerds.

Overhaul has cat ears as well.

Anyway Ghost Raptor is a mother fucker and I hate them.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm more impressed by ghost raptor after that deicer actually worked. That was some good bodging. His bot is also silly fast.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

DOOP posted:

I'm still stunned the De-Icer actually worked :stare: Ghost Raptor manged to win three fights with a busted bot and some great improvisation each time. Just give him the trophy.

Shame Tombstone/Bronco is a semi instead of the final

I've always liked the other raptors, and I honestly think the speed and agility of that bot is making it my favorite along with the underdog wins. I'm digging all the modular bots.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

I've always liked the other raptors, and I honestly think the speed and agility of that bot is making it my favorite along with the underdog wins. I'm digging all the modular bots.
I didn't even put together that it was of the Alpha/Beta/Gamma Raptor lineage. Why is the logo a sabretooth?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

KungFu Grip posted:

Anyway Ghost Raptor is a mother fucker and I hate them.

I find the MMA dude in charge really irritating but I'm not sure why. I feel like his team must be employees who feel obligated or something.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Prehistoric animals or something I dunno. Looks cool though.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I have a Neat-o robotics XV vacuum and that thing cleans the gently caress out of my floors.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

I said something similar to my housemate who was watching this episode casually with me when we saw Witch Doctor upside down. Mostly because right before then I had commented on how far it seems Battlebots have come in the last decade only to have a robot unable to get back up after being flipped like a turtle.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

You could probably add some sort of penumatic ram without much weight budget. Especially if you used stored air pressure with no onboard compressor. Have enough pressure for a few uses.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wouldn't spinners be more stable through impacts if you made them asymmetric?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KyloWinter posted:

I hate the tale of the tape crap they do, but I do like the effort they've been putting into showing how the teams change out parts depending on their competitor. Less arbitrary numbers, more behind-the-scenes discussion of tactics and strategy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This was the best thing since that minibot got exploded

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

This should get entered as a battlebot next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Wow that is insanely stupid. Perfect example of only wondering if they could, instead of if they should.

• Locked thread