Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Didn't Ma Chao have a really good Charge attack on top of a horse, though? Like, I remember him being the best mounted character in a DW game cause he did this AOE shockwave attack. I remember sitting on top of the horse that wouldn't let you fall off and then just spamming Triangle to kill everything around me.

Granted, their movesets and weapons keep changing so that might not have been DW5.
Ma Chao was good on a horse, but not because of his charge attack, it was because he only attacked to one side with his regular attack, so he could just put himself parallel to someone and constantly attack and keep them in an infinite. Pang De did the same thing. every other character swiped alternately on either side.

That said, the problem with the Cao Cao chase was that he was constantly moving, and, as mentioned, horse controls were rear end so it was hard to even get a hit in on him. The best thing to do was honestly just wait in his path, and if you missed your one shot you might as well restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know way too much about dynasty warriors 5, i spent a solid six months of my life playing nothing but that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember which DW I played a lot but it was the one where Zhou Tai had a costume that looked like a gold or silver version of Shredder from TMNT.

Also Wei Yan's C3 had him dance on his back like a turtle, spinning his glaive around.

Mao Chao's C had him do a 360 degree pole-kick.

EDIT: I loving love Zhou Tai.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

i know way too much about dynasty warriors 5, i spent a solid six months of my life playing nothing but that

I really like the Warriors games but that sounds the exact opposite of fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't remember which DW I played a lot but it was the one where Zhou Tai had a costume that looked like a gold or silver version of Shredder from TMNT.

Also Wei Yan's C3 had him dance on his back like a turtle, spinning his glaive around.

Mao Chao's C had him do a 360 degree pole-kick.
that is 4 or 5

were there duels

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ive played a lot of empires 8, because it is very fun to make loads of silly custom characters and let them loose into the world

conquer china with your garishly colored sentai squad, aw yeah

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've never played a Samurai Warriors game before. There is something else for me to play.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've managed to bite and claw my way back to rank A+ in Splatoon, so I decided to take a short break and pick up Smash Bros. again and try to get as good as I was when I was 12. I played as Robin, and got my rear end kicked for a while before I started to tip the scales. I'd like get good enough to do decent in For Glory, with in-air down smashes and poo poo, but man I can't wrap my head around it.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 20, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to try and 100% Hyrule Warriors.

Just play it til you stop having fun, it turns in to some tedious poo poo once you try to A rank everything, especially the DLC adventure maps.

Some of more gimmicky characters/weapons feel especially like no one tested them on higher difficulty maps.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 20, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I have no idea what the poll is referring to

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

That's mean.

hahaha, i think that autocorrected

please watch the utena sub littleorv

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have never played any warriors game, but I used to have a friend who was obsessed with them and would regularly try to sell me on them by showing me screenshots of the games and saying "look, there are way more enemies in the next installation, isn't that great?"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Just play it til you stop having fun, it turns in to some tedious poo poo once you try to A rank everything, especially the DLC adventure maps.

Some of more gimmicky characters/weapons feel especially like no one tested them on higher difficulty maps.

I think part of that might also be that damage scaling is really weird and seems to be basically a cliff between dealing zero damage and annihilating things instantly, at least in my experience.

But not everyone can be Cia.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

dogsicle posted:

hahaha, i think that autocorrected

please watch the utena sub littleorv

Haha okay. I'll probably start it tomorrow once I finish Ping Pong.

FirstAidKite posted:

I have never played any warriors game, but I used to have a friend who was obsessed with them and would regularly try to sell me on them by showing me screenshots of the games and saying "look, there are way more enemies in the next installation, isn't that great?"

The warriors games are a lot of mindless fun. They're not particularly deep though and not for everyone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope Arslan Musou gets a western release, I'm probably going to import it if it doesn't.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cia did nothing wrong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

I have no idea what the poll is referring to

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I legit want Cia to be a continuing cameo in future Zelda games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

From what little I've seen of Fist Of the North Star it loving rules.

"You're already dead"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hyrule Warriors looks like fun.

I never heard anything about the gundam warriors one other than the master gundam and god gundam being the best gundams

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

that is 4 or 5

were there duels

I believe there were. I also remember Lu Bu had a grab for his... C or C2? Zhang Fei also had a grab.

Also Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang shot lasers for their Musous. Whenever I, my sisters, or my cousins played those 1 on 1 modes in that stage with all the boxes we'd generally choose those two and duke it out with laser ults. Sima Yi was especially hilarious cause he'd shoot his fan or whatever forward on his dash attack.

littleorv posted:

I've never played a Samurai Warriors game before. There is something else for me to play.

Same. I hear good things about it though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jagi and Amiba's bro adventures was the best thing about Ken's Rage.

E: loving phone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I believe there were.
that's 4.

you have to keep in mind though, almost nothing else you said helped me because the movesets were exactly the same in every PS2 game since 3.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

littleorv posted:

From what little I've seen of Fist Of the North Star it loving rules.

"You're already dead"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also dynasty warriors gundam had a cool story mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJChDGcLmoA

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

that's 4.

you have to keep in mind though, almost nothing else you said helped me because the movesets were exactly the same in every PS2 game since 3.

I think the movesets changed in DW6 with the changing of weapons or whatever. Zhu Rong used to have a boomerang, and now she has knives. Zhou Tai's C3 changed, which is a shame, even if it's better performance-wise.

The movesets from DW4 and Warriors Orochi seem sorta different.

Not that it matters in the end.

It's just button mashing hack'n'slash and all that matters is who has the cooler weapon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the movesets changed in DW6 with the changing of weapons or whatever. Zhu Rong used to have a boomerang, and now she has knives. Zhou Tai's C3 changed, which is a shame, even if it's better performance-wise.

The movesets from DW4 and Warriors Orochi seem sorta different.

Not that it matters in the end.

It's just button mashing hack'n'slash and all that matters is who has the cooler weapon.
wait, there was a ps2 port of 6? i never realized

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway the orochi movesets are different because the dw characters got expanded movesets to account for being placed next to the sw chars

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

Never underestimate Koei to make a downgraded port that somehow has more characters/movesets. They made a PS2 version of the first DW Gundam too that never was released in the west, as well as a PSP version of DW7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

It always takes Omega Force a long long time to switch completely over to the current generation.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

For real though it is pretty good.

Link's Awakening is my favorite.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyH0-u70fbc

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Link's Awakening is my favorite.

Yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdELJ9UZi0

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have a very large amount of nostalgia for Wind Waker.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I really liked Wind Waker, but I never beat it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Spirit Tracks is really flawed but I liked it a lot

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

majora's mask, people

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

majora's mask, people

That's my second favourite Zelda game.

Adbot