Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's obscene how much time you have to put in fighting the engine to make them look that good.

You'll notice most of them stick to some 70% of the construction being one texture, because the more textures you use, the more likely you'll see texture pop-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

itsnice2bnice posted:

Learning how to use Maya or even Blender is easier and actually useful if you're even slightly interested in game development.

On the other hand, if you're not interested in game development then...

..well, there are still way better alternatives.

That said though, the Qeynos video is top-notch. I realize the game is hosed and doomed forever, and the video is shot to make sure the poo poo problems that come with the engine don't present themselves, but it's still all great work and is a good reason to be sad that the game will probably never happen.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Valentine posted:

On the other hand, if you're not interested in game development then...

..well, there are still way better alternatives.

That said though, the Qeynos video is top-notch. I realize the game is hosed and doomed forever, and the video is shot to make sure the poo poo problems that come with the engine don't present themselves, but it's still all great work and is a good reason to be sad that the game will probably never happen.

This game was so exciting to me. I never got that into the voxels and stuff, but it was just so different and fun. I hope they can take aspects of this game and make them work in at least some capacity. I had a lot of legitimate fun running around exploring islands and caves.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

If you still have Landmark installed you can have a sneak peek at the new Qeynos if you search for 'Lil Qeynos' in the gallery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5pQIaRISQ

It'll be interesting to see if they can ever get rid of that horrible LOD distortion. Bonus Firioner Vies as some extra eye candy:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
A lot of effort went into making something that looks awful.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Jackard posted:

A lot of effort went into making something that looks awful.

This would be a really good sentence to describe Landmark if you left out the "A lot of effort went into making" part.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
EverQuest Landmark: Something that looks Awful

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

itsnice2bnice posted:

If you still have Landmark installed you can have a sneak peek at the new Qeynos if you search for 'Lil Qeynos' in the gallery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5pQIaRISQ

It'll be interesting to see if they can ever get rid of that horrible LOD distortion. Bonus Firioner Vies as some extra eye candy:

This look terrible.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Glad to see Landmark/Next is still as real as Pantheon. Get hosed John Smedley.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Next will have all the hottest tech of 2012 when it releases in 2017. It's the SOE way!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Optimized for a 15 GHz single core processor!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

God drat it, this stupid game was taking up almost 15GB of precious SSD space even after I uninstalled it months ago.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Okay.

Thanks for sharing?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's sad that this game is bad and dead, I thought a minecraft style MMO with decent graphics would print money but they mismanaged it pretty bad with no real updates in the past few years after building the hype.

How does SoE stay afloat if their next everquest failed?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's sad that this game is bad and dead, I thought a minecraft style MMO with decent graphics would print money but they mismanaged it pretty bad with no real updates in the past few years after building the hype.

How does SoE stay afloat if their next everquest failed?

SOE doesn't. They get sold off to Daybreak.

I'm honestly really surprised we haven't heard anything about Next or Landmark of note since the Daybreak purchase... well, other than people like Georgeson being let go six months ago. You're seeing DBG really push out changes to PS2 (PS4 debut), EQ (Ragefire/Lockjaw servers), and EQ2 (timelock server coming up Tuesday). You'd think they would have plans to get EQNext revenues streams moving.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Their new, russian-backed owners likely have a plan for businesses that don't post a profit.

Speaking of plans, I missed their announcement that they're shifting focus to Next. That's pretty much the death of Landmark as anything other than a means to exploit free labor.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cithen posted:

Okay.

Thanks for sharing?
If I ever bothered installing EQ Landmark (was waiting for people to say it got good... never happened), I'd consider it worthwhile knowledge to know it left 15GB of data on my SSD (or even HDD) post-uninstall because uninstalls that don't clean their crap are pretty awful. Leaving behind a couple hundred MBs is one thing, leaving gigs worth of crap is not cool.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Freakazoid_ posted:

Their new, russian-backed owners likely have a plan for businesses that don't post a profit.

Speaking of plans, I missed their announcement that they're shifting focus to Next. That's pretty much the death of Landmark as anything other than a means to exploit free labor.

About time is all I can say really. My prediction is eq next will become a rather unsatisfying free to play mess rushed to launch without any of the promised gameplay features.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Eq next is going to be a candy crush clone for android, if it exists at all.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

They haven't put much effort into Landmark for a lot longer. Neglecting Landmark so people will forgot about its existence will probably help them with selling more pre-orders for EQNext.

I suspect EQNext will be similar enough to Landmark to make it a pretty bad game as well. Any hype for EQNext will probably rely on people claiming they'll be wholly different games.

Daybreak Games is also a triple A development company and keep in mind that Landmark is still in Beta! There will be a miracle patch after launch that will somehow magically turn it into a really good game instead of the dead failure it currently is!!!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Aaaand there goes John Smedley.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Good riddance.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

EQ next will be so bad

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Sancho posted:

EQ next will be so bad

IF it comes out... IF.

Then, yes, it will be horrible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah, it's called money laundering.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

John Smedley is like a black man in 1850 Carolina: owned.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Kazak_Hstan posted:

John Smedley is like a black man in 1850 Carolina: owned.

I bet that sounded a lot better in your head.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Smedley was basically the favored child after McQuaid left the EQ team right? I'm honestly surprised how long he lived in his position of power considering all the MAJOR MAJOR missteps he's had under his watch. Hell, I'm still honestly surprised he got to keep his job after the cataclysmic fuckup that was the EQ2 vanilla launch.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

DeathSandwich posted:

Smedley was basically the favored child after McQuaid left the EQ team right? I'm honestly surprised how long he lived in his position of power considering all the MAJOR MAJOR missteps he's had under his watch. Hell, I'm still honestly surprised he got to keep his job after the cataclysmic fuckup that was the EQ2 vanilla launch.

Smedley was always higher than McQuaid - in fact, Smedley hired McQuaid to work on EQ - it wasn't Brad's game

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Heh. To this day I still remember the "quit counting your money, Smedley, and start issuing orders" speech.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
hey guys how is this dead horse

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I recently deleted poo poo from my default downloads folder and saw the EQ Landmark beta client from almost two years ago. Remember when we all though EQ Next was right around the corner lmao kill me please

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Landmark is so dead, they couldn't be bothered to exploit player labor with another building competition.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Landmark is so dead, they couldn't be bothered to exploit player labor with another building competition.

Do you actually log in? Are there actually still people there?

I'm still so mad at how poorly designed and planning the Landmark rollout was. I have genuine empathy for those poor SOE/Daybreak people doing those Twitch streams a while back. They seemed to genuinely care on some level.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I actually tried this again about 3 weeks ago. I lasted 30 minutes. Saw no other people. I just wanted to dig some ore and build some stuff, but there seems to have been some item/tool revamp and I didn't have my super amazing high end stuff anymore. There was a tutorial, and the game wanted me to place a claim and a prefab house. Placing the house didn't remove anything that already occupied the space, so half of the ground floor and the doors where filled with dirt. I tried to remove the dirt, but my build tools where too basic to do it without also removing chucks of the house floor. Also the game ran worse than I remembered.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I still find it amazing they managed to screw up "minecraft, but with graphics and a budget" and not print all of the money with it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I still find it amazing they managed to screw up "minecraft, but with graphics and a budget" and not print all of the money with it.

^^This. Smedley (and McQuaid) have the faeces equivalent of the Midas touch. Everything they get involved with turns to poo poo.

But then again, I may be biased, having played EQ1 for 7 years and EQ2 from the pre-order. This pair are so shortsighted they waited 4 years to actually start addressing player concerns rather than "shut up and enjoy what we're giving you". Blizzard released WoW, subs crashed and then they reluctantly try to patch the mess up.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

With EQ2 they finally figured it out with Faydwer, but that was way too late.

I wonder if they'll just sell off the Landmark engine and we'll see lovely voxel action RPGs from some dodgy Russian company in the next year.

I just want a cool, decent EQ3 damnit. poo poo I'd take a slightly modified EQ1 with kickin rad graphics and real AI.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Nothing tickles my nostalgia strings like Norrath but god drat I cannot give a gently caress about the games those assholes make

I honestly wish they'd just sell it to some company to make a Norrath-based action RPG even if it was single player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Nothing tickles my nostalgia strings like Norrath but god drat I cannot give a gently caress about the games those assholes make

I honestly wish they'd just sell it to some company to make a Norrath-based action RPG even if it was single player

A couple exist already. They're pretty good!

• Locked thread