Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My sister gave me the 3DS version of Majora's Mask after she finished playing it a few months back.

I still haven't gotten around to playing it. I've only played 1 (technically 2) Zelda game. The something of Season and something of Ages for the GBC.

Is Majora's Mask really that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wind Waker
Majora's Mask
Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time
Links Awakening

I'm sorry I missed your favourite Zelda game.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

My sister gave me the 3DS version of Majora's Mask after she finished playing it a few months back.

I still haven't gotten around to playing it. I've only played 1 (technically 2) Zelda game. The something of Season and something of Ages for the GBC.

Yes it is. Best story, best mechanics, best world, best best best

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sharkopath posted:

Link's Awakening is my favorite.

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCvhA0xWss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

majora's mask is one of like 2 games to actually achieve a palpable atmosphere and mood

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

majora's mask is one of like 2 games to actually achieve a palpable atmosphere and mood

Yeah and all its sidequests are there to advance the theme

i cant think of many more games that do that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The actual best Zelda Game is Rolan's Curse.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The single 30 second overworld theme is seared into my brain.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

what is the other game?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Normie Slayer posted:

what is the other game?

silent hill 2

for me at least

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

what is the other game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxK58tPU4I

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I was really disappointed when I learned you could only be the Ronin Warrior guy if you were player 2.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

silent hill 2

for me at least

I wish I could play scary games :(

I am a big baby

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

silent hill 2 is a good choice, but im not big on horror games

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

that's one of my favorites, but the mood it creates isn't very heavy imo

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Normie Slayer posted:

what is the other game?

Okami.

Wait poo poo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Brave Fencer Musashi is also a really good Zelda game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nier is pretty good for atmosphere too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

WW is probably my second favorite after Links Awakening. i think the 2d/handheld Zeldas are usually better though, need to pick up MM3DS since i never played the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

that's one of my favorites, but the mood it creates isn't very heavy imo
it creates a very heavy mood of Japan.

i realize that sounds like a joke but it's not, it's very Japanese and not in the pseudo-racist 'haha this game is so wacky' way. it's cool.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

it creates a very heavy mood of Japan.

i realize that sounds like a joke but it's not, it's very Japanese and not in the pseudo-racist 'haha this game is so wacky' way. it's cool.

I think that Katamari and Persona 3 are just as Japanese as Okami, but in different ways.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've played and beaten all of the handheld Zelda games, outside of the HD remakes. Of the console games, I've only beaten TP

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I may be alone in this but I really like the mood that Catherine creates. Sitting in the bar with your pals and talking with miserable people. It's very bleak.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The ending sequence and credits roll in Okami made me tear up when I first played the game. It's a shame the latter is missing in the Wii port.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think Red Dead Redemption has good mood and atmosphere

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I think that Katamari and Persona 3 are just as Japanese as Okami, but in different ways.
hm, yeah, i can see where you're coming from. i think okami has this broad sense of historical/cultural nostalgia to it tho, while katamari and p3 are kinda based in the Now. the ost is really good at milking that, listen to reset ~thank you~ and tell me that isn't a nostalgic as gently caress song. it's probably got less novelty to an actual japanese person who's seen a ton of random historical dramas and such but it still permeates the whole game.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The STALKER series has a fanbase built almost entirely on atmosphere alone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally, the fact that the okami composer is doing the music for the new FE, erm, Owns Bones. I am so pumped to hear more traditional japanese music from that guy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

littleorv posted:

I may be alone in this but I really like the mood that Catherine creates. Sitting in the bar with your pals and talking with miserable people. It's very bleak.

the atmosphere is what makes the game really attractive to me, but then there's all that puzzle stuff
thankfully there's lp

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I've played and beaten all of the handheld Zelda games, outside of the HD remakes. Of the console games, I've only beaten TP

TP gets more hate than it really deserves. I mean it definitely has its problems and isn't among the best Zelda games (though MM and WW are practically untouchable), but I think opinion on it mostly comes down to whether its atmosphere hits or misses for a given person. I think it's better to build an atmosphere that doesn't land for everyone (TP) than not really build one at all (SS).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

hm, yeah, i can see where you're coming from. i think okami has this broad sense of historical/cultural nostalgia to it tho, while katamari and p3 are kinda based in the Now. the ost is really good at milking that, listen to reset ~thank you~ and tell me that isn't a nostalgic as gently caress song. it's probably got less novelty to an actual japanese person who's seen a ton of random historical dramas and such but it still permeates the whole game.

I get where you're coming from. I've been thinking, is there a western version of Okami with the same kind of historical/cultural nostalgia? I don't thikn there is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TP has its moments when it just sits back and lets itself be but then it does stuff like that awful OH NO NOW YOUR GIRLFRIEND IS A SCREAMING SKULL, OH NO NOW YOU'RE A SCREAMING SKULL sequence and it kinda shoots itself in the foot. the atmosphere isn't bad but the game undermines it a lot. majora's mask worked because, minus a few instances, it didn't really try to hammer in how hosed up and Dark it was, it just was.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

littleorv posted:

I actually think Catherine is really cool and has interesting, fun dialogue so it's really a shame that the game is a kind-of-hard block puzzle

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

chumbler posted:

TP gets more hate than it really deserves. I mean it definitely has its problems and isn't among the best Zelda games (though MM and WW are practically untouchable), but I think opinion on it mostly comes down to whether its atmosphere hits or misses for a given person. I think it's better to build an atmosphere that doesn't land for everyone (TP) than not really build one at all (SS).

Nintendo promised me dark moods and new and interesting mechanics, but wasn't as dark or experimental as majora

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I get where you're coming from. I've been thinking, is there a western version of Okami with the same kind of historical/cultural nostalgia? I don't thikn there is
you mentioned red dead redemption. it's very different, but i think that counts in a sense, too? the wild west is a time period that's super romanticized/dramatized.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

joke answer: oregon trail

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I loving hated Skyward Sword and I hope the next Zelda game is better. I think it was because Skyward Sword felt very empty outside the starting city. I think Twilight Princess nailed it's setting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

you mentioned red dead redemption. it's very different, but i think that counts in a sense, too? the wild west is a time period that's super romanticized/dramatized.

red dead is much much darker than okami

if okami ended with perry landing in edo bay it would be similar

• Locked thread