Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does anyone know the formula for calculating money/exp? I know straight up damage is more rewarding than just kills, but I'd like to know how exactly it gets calculated based on a win or loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Trump posted:

Nope, Win7. It's only on this one map. Anyway I can manually check if those files are somehow corrupted?

I've been bug reporting that in vain for months now. Ctrl Alt Del to Task Manager, click on that and it magically fixes itself for me.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Panfilo posted:

Does anyone know the formula for calculating money/exp? I know straight up damage is more rewarding than just kills, but I'd like to know how exactly it gets calculated based on a win or loss.
No idea. Sometimes I get more xp for half the damage done :iiam:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Badges seem to give you a fairly huge boost. Akin to kills in WoT.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

OSad posted:

Don't worry, Rossmum. I too, bonk my head on islands in Hotspot all the time while trying to maneuver in my BB's.

Edit: I figured it out. The Amagi is a great anti-air emplacement!

It will, compared to other lower-tiered battleships, move pretty dang fast and smash planes out of the sky, or your money back guaranteed!

T8 is lower-tiered?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Badges seem to give you a fairly huge boost. Akin to kills in WoT.

What I'm assuming it works is like this:

Flat damage
Damage from fires/flooding (or the number of times you triggered fires/flooding)
Kills
Winning!
Badges awarded
Control points captured/defended
Aircraft shot down

In order from most exp to least. Badges probably give decent flat bonuses for each one, while the rest are based on number or % of total damage dealt on your team.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So what exactly happened here, and how do I do this to other people?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Im presuming that HE shell hit you in the magazine and instakilled you. Like a bad ammo racking in WoT.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lakedaimon posted:

Im presuming that HE shell hit you in the magazine and instakilled you. Like a bad ammo racking in WoT.

That's what I thought too but I thought you got a detonation medal when those happened.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Finally done, sold the Colorado the moment I had enough exp for the NC. So much relief...... :boom:
Any advice going into the NC as to the best way to play it? Is it best to play it like the New Mexico?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Man, being dead in a few minutes because carriers can drop 1km from a ship sure is good game design.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
0.6 km. And yes it sucks, that's why I am not grinding battleships atm.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Start turning as soon as you know the torp planes are coming for you. Turn into them if they're approaching you from the front, away if they're approaching from behind. Do it right and you'll eat one, maybe two.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Newbie here, I just rammed a ship for the first time and it felt great. I like this game a lot so far and I have a few questions. First, is the FTP currency ever going to be a problem? I'm buying pretty much everything I can on the first 4 ships you get and I'm wondering if this is at all sustainable.

Secondly, how do I not suck? I seem to have a decent handle on aiming the cruiser shots but I'm basically a complete retard when it comes to maneuvering. Occasionally I'll try to be clever by hugging the islands and that seems to work alright but all too often I end up getting targeted by quite a few enemy ships and quickly destroyed. I also have trouble bringing all my guns to bear.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When do you start getting modifications that don't just make a module less likely to explode? For the optional extra money mods?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hamshot posted:

Start turning as soon as you know the torp planes are coming for you. Turn into them if they're approaching you from the front, away if they're approaching from behind. Do it right and you'll eat one, maybe two.
And if they drop too close to you, you can turn into torps and hit one right before minimum distance for 0 dmg.

Just watch out for players who actually know how to CV though.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hamshot posted:

How is this any better than arty in WoT? It's just random damage you can barely do anything against.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Night10194 posted:

When do you start getting modifications that don't just make a module less likely to explode? For the optional extra money mods?

IIRC T5, T6, T8 and T9 all get an exta equipment slot with other modules. There is no extra money mod, only an extra money signal flag that you ge awarded for First Blood.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

How is this any better than arty in WoT? It's just random damage you can barely do anything against.

It's only "random" in the way that the carrier player may choose you at random as a good target to strike on. Usually it's BB's, but as the tiers go up, you start getting such an exorbitant amount of hitpoints that if you do the proper dodging procedures (see the torp bombers coming, turn into/out of them when they drop), getting hit by one or two torpedoes is hardly as frustrating as getting penetrated by artillery and losing four-fifths of your HP and one or two modules/crewmembers.

You can still lose modules by torpedo hits, and often it's your rudder that goes, but that's uncommon and you have an infinite repair pack in this game. It takes time to recharge, but in a game that only takes into account module damage and not crew losses, that's an enormous asset against torpedoes. If anything, it's more annoying to start flooding than it is to worry about an actual torpedo hit, but even flooding damage seems to have taken a hit in effectiveness and now only hurts as much as a one-stack fire with longer duration.

And even in the case you get hit and feel like you've lost a good chunk of hitpoints, in BB's and in one specific case, the Zao, you can just press a button and repair nearly all the damage you've just taken. And if you're getting targeted in a cruiser or DD, you should pop your flak skill or not get hit at all to begin with. Hell, even late-tier battleships start getting incredible amounts of self-defensive AA fire, so often just turning towards the bombers in order to make the carrier player jockey his planes around you to get a good spread is a bad deal for him; anything above 50 AA already seems pretty nasty for any type of carrier out there.

Carriers in this game are not what's meant to be compared to artillery. If anything, Battleships should be compared to artillery: getting penned in the citadel by a 14' inch gun or higher is as close you're going to get to the frustration of having most of your hitpoints removed by artillery in world of tanks. The onus of getting completely poo poo-on, near one-shot devastated by a carrier is 90% on the receiving end's player in this game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OSad posted:

Carriers in this game are not what's meant to be compared to artillery. If anything, Battleships should be compared to artillery: getting penned in the citadel by a 14' inch gun or higher is as close you're going to get to the frustration of having most of your hitpoints removed by artillery in world of tanks. The onus of getting completely poo poo-on, near one-shot devastated by a carrier is 90% on the receiving end's player in this game.

You make the right points but come to the wrong conclusion.
It's just another layer of RNG damage. Okay, carriers are not artillery. They are the second worst thing to it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

You make the right points but come to the wrong conclusion.
It's just another layer of RNG damage. Okay, carriers are not artillery. They are the second worst thing to it.

So they are the fuckoff huge gunned td camping in a bush? :v:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Elmnt80 posted:

So they are the fuckoff huge gunned td camping in a bush? :v:

I guess

I think comparing WoT and WoWs in terms of what can gently caress you over is not a good idea. We should just take each entity as it's own level of bullshit.

Carriers are top class bullshit. Random citadels from Battleships 20km...not so much bullshit. Stop driving in straight lines.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Both team's carriers should spawn in the middle of the map. If they get out alive, good for them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The turning into the torp bombers only works against bad CV players anyway, against the really good ones you can't do anything. Some asshat even managed to trap my Atago with his 3 bomber squadrons, nothing I could do after he selected me to die.

If WG had any sense they'd hotfix the MM for CVs and double the arming time for bomber torpedos. Fixing the MM would involve only ever matching the same number of the same tier of CVs against each other, let CV players wait, I don't care.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Michaellaneous posted:

And good carrier drivers will eat the potential damage to their planes to take advantage of a ship losing forward momentum to turn into an attack, re-tack their planes, and drop on the new course.

Oh, whoops. ~e:f;b~

The solution to torpedoes is to do the same drat thing they do in WoT: better factor in armor and give them a clearly-listed minimum and maximum damage and then spread the gulf a bit wider, not just list the maximum damage. A longer run-time-to-arm wouldn't be bad, either, as well as the potential for no/reduced-damage glancing/scraping hits and the potential for duds.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 20, 2015

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
To be honest, the CV players would generally like that as well, (edit: Referring to rigidly balanced tier for tier matchmaking between CVs) because as it is you end up fighting CVs several tiers your better ALL THE TIME and it's extremely frustrating.

I think the issue most non-CV drivers have with CVs is that they can't reply back. They're not angry about getting instagibbed by an enemy battleship because they could have done that to him too. But - and lets say that this target is GOOD at dodging torpedoes, so they know to maneuver instead of driving in straight lines and shaking their fist at the CV like it's his fault they're sinking - when the CV has the torpedo squads necessary to make a pincer attack, they get angry.

But there's a LOT of factors at work there. The CV chooses targets based on position? Is the target sailing through a straight? Is the target completely alone, meaning there'll be WAY less AA to thin out the squadrons? Those make a huge difference, especially later in the game. How much of you getting shat on by aircraft is due to that baltimore loving off 12 km away?

The tools are all there to combat CVs, even when they can pincer attack you, though at low tiers those tools are teamwork between BBs and Cruisers, which means there is no hope for anyone and the CVs have carte blanche a lot of the time. The issue is there's no reward for any of that, and then the unbalanced matchmaking and the generally unbalanced carrier vs carrier game sucks. When I'm in my Bogue and my Langley I generally don't encounter issues with Japanese carriers making GBS threads on my team because I can just fire and forget on their bomber squadrons and laugh.

They just die and end up contributing little, if any, to their team. There's no variation to that, there's almost never a tactical advantage they can pull, especially in the bogue, you can get away with sending your fighters right into their planes while they're covered by AA and still win easily. It's insane, considering the devs are trying to see a 50/50 win loss ratio. I never lose the air battle in my american carriers. Ever. EVER. It does not happen. That, and then the rewards for removing aircraft from play, is what I feel is wrong, though, to be fair, I've only got experience up to T5 BB, Cruiser and CV play.

bobthethurd fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 20, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Michaellaneous posted:

Carriers are top class bullshit. Random citadels from Battleships 20km...not so much bullshit. Stop driving in straight lines.

This sort of thing gets said a lot, but it's pretty near objectively incorrect. At 20 km, the dispersion of battleship guns is such that getting a citadel hit has very little to do with where you aim. It likewise has little to do with the target's maneuvers, again because the shell dispersion is so large. Max range citadel hits aren't the predictable result of aiming well, they're random events that happen (once in a while) as long as you're vaguely aimed at the target.

Carriers are decidedly less bad than artillery. The mechanic is sort of opposite. Artillery is super random and requires very little of the driver, so 3 arty a side matches are all pretty lovely regardless of how good or bad the arty players are.
Carriers aren't very random (from the carrier player's perspective) and bad carrier drivers are easy to dodge. A game against an uncountered good carrier is "worse" than an average 3 arty game - you're more likely to die to the carrier without accomplishing anything - but there are very few good carriers, and typical carriers don't do that.
The other big factor is that, where artillery encourages passivity, carriers encourage sticking together and actually going after the enemy ships.

The carrier mechanic is obnoxious, but it doesn't consistently ruin games the way artillery does. It's not a good comparison. Battleships are more like artillery mechanically, and in some past versions they've been a problem, but as of now it's not.
Also anyone who compares destroyers to artillery is stupid and you should ignore them.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And good carrier drivers will eat the potential damage to their planes to take advantage of a ship losing forward momentum to turn into an attack, re-tack their planes, and drop on the new course.

Oh, whoops. ~e:f;b~

The solution to torpedoes is to do the same drat thing they do in WoT: better factor in armor and give them a clearly-listed minimum and maximum damage and then spread the gulf a bit wider, not just list the maximum damage. A longer run-time-to-arm wouldn't be bad, either, as well as the potential for no/reduced-damage glancing/scraping hits and the potential for duds.

I don't disagree with any of these things, but I find, personally, that the losses from AA are not worth the potential damage the squad will do, as by the time you re-position your planes you've taken 2 or 3 casualties and still only hit with one torpedo, like the original run with six planes would have. I've seen the re-assigning a new attack thing end with my whole squad eliminated without a single hit before. And this is at Tier 5 where AA is weak and non-existent in some cases.

The main danger of those extreme close range drops, however, is only the case when the idiot in the target ship doesn't loving do anything but drive straight and pray.

bobthethurd fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 20, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Keep in mind that they are planning to change the drop pattern for Japanese torp bombers if they can get it working right. They want them to have a wider spread that converges to a point so they will have to be dropped farther back and aimed well to hit with more than one torp. I think that will help a lot since most of the frustration comes from IJN carriers overwhelming people with 2-3 bombers dropping simultaneously at close range, with an optional crisscross for extra annoyance.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Hahaha, holy poo poo, the Omaha continues to own. I'm keeping this ship.

:captainpop:

There was an XP flag on the ship, but still; 2,000 base experience. Replay link here. Started off worrying about going up against three Omahas on the other team. Turns out I needn't have worried so much. I ended up completely demolishing the cruisers that came after me.

Fittingly, this put me in a Cleveland, which I've found comparatively underwhelming so far. Great shot density, but the rounds travel so slowly, I'm having trouble figuring out where to put them. Oh, well.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
To be honest, for all my whining about CVs, they're not THAT bad. My main gripe is the minimum arming distance on their torpedo drops. Increase that and I'll be just happy with CVs dunking unaware nerds all day long, hell give em a torpedo damage boost if that tanks their winrate too much. Dive Bombers can get their AP bombs and they'll be fine. Getting spotted by a fighter all match is annoying and perhaps AA should ramp up the damage it deals to something if the targeted plane has been in range for 20+ seconds (so that a DD can do something to a fighter just soaring overhead tanking all the AA fire), and I won't complain to another aircraft detection on torpedoes nerf. But this isn't a world where DDs get everything they want, so I'll deal.

Also, a buff to the rewards on killing aircraft would probably be a huge thing to help counter the lethality of CVs. People would actually be incentivized to use their AA to defend their allies, instead of incentivized to score lots of hits and rack up damage (and just complain when their allies get bombed to hell). Its often more profitable XP wise to lose and have done a lot of damage than to win and just have shot a bunch of aircraft down. Reverse that, and people will be more than happy to play like a team. Well, play like a team more often. And I doubt they'll ever be happy, people dont play videogames to HAVE FUN.

Giving us more AA options at tiers 3-5 would be nice too, I suppose.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Captains cap out at 20 points, right? What is a good setup for US cruiser captains? Right now I'm thinking of
Basic Firing Training
Basics of Survivability
Aiming Expert
Fire Prevention
High Alert
Demolition Expert
Advanced Firing Training
which kind of leaves me with two extra points, suggestions?

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
The people hating on CVs don't seem to have ever played them or I think they'd not complain about them so much.

The complaints are always about the wrong side of the equation, that it sucks to get focused on by one. It sucks to get focused on by any ship in the game. Ever had a game where the enemy BBs all decided it was gently caress YOU day? Or all the enemy cruisers with HE shells did? Sometimes it's your team's fault for abandoning you, sometimes it's yours for charging off alone. Ask yourself the same questions when a CV targets you. Is your team failing you or did you gently caress up?

You may notice CVs bug you less after you start thinking about why they were picking YOU out of the crowd(because they are, they can sit patiently and choose their moment, and go for ANYONE else on the map, but its you they pick), because you'll put yourself in positions that encourage them less, kinda like that magical moment when I found out my South Carolina could turn around and run away if I over-extended and probably make it back to the cover of the two friendly BBs that were behind me, headed my way. All of a sudden I started surviving and winning the gunfights with the cruiser swarm.

bobthethurd fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 20, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It doesn't matter if that CV kills my Warspite or that friendly New York, fact is good CV players will drop 2 sets of torps next to a ship and there will be guaranteed damage. The arming time for bomber torpedos needs to at least be double what it is now.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

bobthethurd posted:

You may notice CVs bug you less after you start thinking about why they were picking YOU out of the crowd...

If I get picked out of the crowd because I'm in a top-tier battleship, does that mean I should just never play battleships?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If you're lucky enough to be chosen as the ennemy CV target, best case scenario you will start your game with 2/3 health, wost case he sink you straight away.

If you get focused by the ennemy team you will take a lot of damage but :
- you get focused by the ennemy team, not one player
- you can fire back and hope to maybe sink one
- you positioned yourself poorly

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Found a full hp tier 3 battleship and destroer tunnel visioned, torps away, turned bote, second wave of torps. Que 2 instant kills :D I'm pretty bad at this, but at least pubs are worse. Destroyer4lyfe

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tahirovic posted:

It doesn't matter if that CV kills my Warspite or that friendly New York, fact is good CV players will drop 2 sets of torps next to a ship and there will be guaranteed damage.

Did you know that if you fire shells at a ship and they hit, there is guaranteed damage?

Outrage. Scandal :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 20, 2015

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

bobthethurd posted:

The people hating on CVs don't seem to have ever played them or I think they'd not complain about them so much.

The complaints are always about the wrong side of the equation, that it sucks to get focused on by one. It sucks to get focused on by any ship in the game. Ever had a game where the enemy BBs all decided it was gently caress YOU day? Or all the enemy cruisers with HE shells did? Sometimes it's your team's fault for abandoning you, sometimes it's yours for charging off alone. Ask yourself the same questions when a CV targets you. Is your team failing you or did you gently caress up?

You may notice CVs bug you less after you start thinking about why they were picking YOU out of the crowd(because they are, they can sit patiently and choose their moment, and go for ANYONE else on the map, but its you they pick), because you'll put yourself in positions that encourage them less, kinda like that magical moment when I found out my South Carolina could turn around and run away if I over-extended and probably make it back to the cover of the two friendly BBs that were behind me, headed my way. All of a sudden I started surviving and winning the gunfights with the cruiser swarm.

Yeah this is just bollocks I'm afraid.

It's no use trying to rehash the SPG argument from WoTs, the fact is CVs are free to pick and choose their targets at will, if you are in a high tier Battleship or Cruiser you are, quite rightly, going to get all their attention and trying to say you can hide or get in a pack is just utter nonsense. It's like every arty player ever, "oh if you played arty you'd know what to do..." Utter bollocks.

Also gently caress the Furutaka, gently caress it hard in it's arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

Did you know that if you fire shells at a ship and they hit, there is guaranteed damage?

Outrage. Scandal :v:

I normally don't get the NTRabbit hate but this time I'm going with the "you are a loving idiot" crowd I'm afraid.