Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Okami was fun but I could've done without the last third of it.

Great ending though. I'm a huge sucker for stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there's a fuckton of ww2 games, but there's never really been a game interested in actually focusing in on the ww2-setting and time period and delivering any sort of experience of that, it's mostly just a paint job for the cyberdemons.

Smoking Crow posted:

red dead is much much darker than okami

if okami ended with perry landing in edo bay it would be similar
this is true.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I actually think Catherine is really cool and has interesting, fun dialogue so it's really a shame that the game is a kind-of-hard block puzzle

I've honestly never found the block pushing puzzles to be very hard. I played through normal with very little trouble my first time. I understand I'm in the minority with that though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also count me in on the Majora's Mask crew.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

:D

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything I remember and like about TP wasn't the dark mood, but the really badass stuff. The swordfight with Ganondorf, the showdown in the abandoned town with King Bulblin, crawling up a giant rampaging sea worm and stabbing it in the eye, stuff like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yeah, i love okami but it could have been cut down a little.

littleorv posted:

I loving hated Skyward Sword and I hope the next Zelda game is better. I think it was because Skyward Sword felt very empty outside the starting city. I think Twilight Princess nailed it's setting though.
skyward sword's 'overworld' was super weird because it was pretty much the worst of both possible worlds, in that it was too confining to feel like a real overworld, but long enough to get in the way of dungeon crawling.

say what you will about the great sea, at least islands usually had something on them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I liked all the parts of Catherine that took place in the bar and all the bits where you were pushing blocks.

The romance plot and the polling, not so much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SS had such fun gameplay that i could overlook its faults. the boss rerun, stealth segments, and bare world were all bad though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A game that's American as gently caress, in a good way, is A Mind Forever Voyaging.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

The actual best Zelda Game is Rolan's Curse.

Wow, someone else who remembers those games...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

also there's a fuckton of ww2 games, but there's never really been a game interested in actually focusing in on the ww2-setting and time period and delivering any sort of experience of that, it's mostly just a paint job for the cyberdemons.

Every WW2 game ends up being an action movie when what I really would like to see is The Steel Helmet or Come and See

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The only WW2 game I can think of that isn't a first person shooter where you run down corridors and shoot nazis and/or japanese soldiers is The Saboteur, which at least had the decency to put you in an open world in Nazi-occupied France

It still wasn't a very good game, but you did get to hear Travis Touchdown doing his MISTER SIR HENRY accent for the whole game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

A game that's American as gently caress, in a good way, is A Mind Forever Voyaging.

thought you were going to say manhunter: san francisco

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Some games off the top of my head I would say have good atmosphere: Majora's Mask, Nier, Nocturne, Killer7, Riven.

I'm sure I could think of others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

The only WW2 game I can think of that isn't a first person shooter where you run down corridors and shoot nazis and/or japanese soldiers is The Saboteur, which at least had the decency to put you in an open world in Nazi-occupied France
company of heroes?

also a couple of captain america games.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Riven is still the most believably real place I've ever visited in a video game and you navigate it like a slideshow.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does L.A. Noire count as WW2 era? It's pretty close!

1950s America is prime nostalgia if you're an old white guy, at least.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 20, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Company of Heroes 2 started out with the intention of being an exploration of the eastern front and ended up stealing all its set pieces from enemy at the gates in a laughable way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8

this video is really funny to me because at one point the dude says like "Can you hear that Relic? That's the sound of Goebbels applauding you from HELL!' and I think that's still my favorite sentence from a youtube personality ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd really like a game that just happens to take place during WW2, but is completely unrelated to it. The first two shadow hearts games are super cool because they take place parallel to world war 1, with the events of the war influencing the plot a bit but the characters only briefly interacting with it. in the second game you fight the japanese army for a bit, but that's the extent of it. i was hoping from the new world would be like that for WW2 but instead you get an american ninja who attacks with fish bones.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

I'd really like a game that just happens to take place during WW2, but is completely unrelated to it. The first two shadow hearts games are super cool because they take place parallel to world war 1, with the events of the war influencing the plot a bit but the characters only briefly interacting with it. in the second game you fight the japanese army for a bit, but that's the extent of it. i was hoping from the new world would be like that for WW2 but instead you get an american ninja who attacks with fish bones.

I think a good way to go about also would having characters be touched by the war in their past, either through direct participation or the civilian experience growing up, with their experiences in it shaping their outlook on life in the present day the game is set in, with those formative times still being experienced or relayed to the player.

I also think that is entirely too complicated for modern videogame storytelling to achieve with any depth or subtlety.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 20, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I think a good way to go about also would having characters be touched by the war in their past, either through direct participation or the civilian experience growing up, with their experiences in it shaping their outlook on life in the present day the game is set in, with those formative times still be experienced or relayed to the player.

I also think that is entirely too complicated for modern videogame storytelling to achieve with any depth or subtlety.
eh, people make posts like that all the time but honestly plenty of games have done an okay job showing that sort of thing. a story doesn't have to be a totally comprehensive indepth look at something to handle it well, it just needs to use that element effectively. shadow hearts 2 is a game about punching god in the face and making it with a hot japanese MILF, but it still does a pretty good job showing the pain of someone who's lost someone close to them: not constant crying or 'i'm sad,' but a sort of casual apathy that makes it hard for them to enjoy their life even when they know they should.

shadow hearts is a good series y'all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also unrelated but: that russian guy not understanding the general winter metaphor is the funniest thing ive seen all week.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

eh, people make posts like that all the time but honestly plenty of games have done an okay job showing that sort of thing. a story doesn't have to be a totally comprehensive indepth look at something to handle it well, it just needs to use that element effectively. shadow hearts 2 is a game about punching god in the face and making it with a hot japanese MILF, but it still does a pretty good job showing the pain of someone who's lost someone close to them: not constant crying or 'i'm sad,' but a sort of casual apathy that makes it hard for them to enjoy their life even when they know they should.

The new Wolfenstein is a cool character study of what the fps war hero would probably be like to have lived through everything that is ascribed to them, BJ shows a really fatalist outlook on life with a tiny spark of hope driving him forward and even repeats a breathing mantra in his own head to keep himself going several times in the campaign.

I just remember a lot of people and reviewers complaining about that aspect of it because it was too cheesy when I was pretty surprised how far down they went.

The intro to that game is also just the coolest way I think I've seen a timeskip framed in media.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Shadow Hearts (2) is something I've thought about playing but never gotten around to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's weird what gets called 'cheesy' and what gets called 'gripping and powerful'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also shadow hearts 2 is a fantastic game but sh1 is pretty decent too and kind of needed to enjoy the second. the story's emotional stuff doesn't really have much heft if you don't understand why yuri's so hosed up.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

what kind of game is shadow hearts, and what system is it for

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Endorph posted:

shadow hearts 2 is a game about punching god in the face and making it with a hot japanese MILF

This is the most Games description of a video game I've seen in ages.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Smoking Crow posted:

what kind of game is shadow hearts, and what system is it for

Jrpgs on PS2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jrpg, ps2.

it's a modern horror themed JRPG about a half-russian half-japanese streetpunk named yuri punching demons and vampires and poo poo. roger bacon is a major character. in the second game rasputin is an antagonist. it's got some undeniably goofy stuff, especially in the second game, but the first two games put together form a really cool story.

it's a pseudo sequel to a PS1 horror game called Koudelka, which was super clunky but is interesting enough to be worth looking up on youtube if the urge strikes you. a couple of major characters from koudelka recur, but there's no direct plot connection.

the first game is just called Shadow Hearts, and the second is called Shadow Hearts: Convenant. The third game, From the New World, isn't bad but drastically amps up the goofiness while removing a lot of the horror elements, which is a bad trade imo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

It owns, and I am really hoping koudelka showing up on steam sometime soon will eventually lead to ports of the shadow hearts games

You know what had good atmosphere? King's Field. The graphics and gameplay are so aged though that I dont blame anybody for not being able to get into it

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I'm watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

everybody should play wolfenstein if you look shootmans cause I think its the bees knees

also a really cool soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUINujrrwY

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
This movie is getting awkward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

koudelka is going to be on steam? i thought the rights to all the shadow hearts games, including that, were stored in a pachinko machine somewhere in hong kong

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

jrpg, ps2.

it's a modern horror themed JRPG about a half-russian half-japanese streetpunk named yuri punching demons and vampires and poo poo. roger bacon is a major character. in the second game rasputin is an antagonist. it's got some undeniably goofy stuff, especially in the second game, but the first two games put together form a really cool story.

it's a pseudo sequel to a PS1 horror game called Koudelka, which was super clunky but is interesting enough to be worth looking up on youtube if the urge strikes you. a couple of major characters from koudelka recur, but there's no direct plot connection.

the first game is just called Shadow Hearts, and the second is called Shadow Hearts: Convenant. The third game, From the New World, isn't bad but drastically amps up the goofiness while removing a lot of the horror elements, which is a bad trade imo.

I know Koudelka because it's the survival horror game with music by the Secret of Mana guy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

koudelka is going to be on steam? i thought the rights to all the shadow hearts games, including that, were stored in a pachinko machine somewhere in hong kong

apparently marvelous owns the rights

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I know Koudelka because it's the survival horror game with music by the Secret of Mana guy
he didn't just do the music for it, he was basically the sole creative mind behind it.

he left the company after koudelka bombed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

but there's no direct plot connection.

Actually there is one specific plot point that is traced through all 4 of the games, but it's only ever a thematic connection between the games, not the main plot. Picking up on it greatly improved my enjoyment with From The New World, though.

Endorph posted:

To expand on From The New World, it still retains some horror elements but they are largely in terms of enemy design or in certain sidequests, but the rest of the game is more or less comedy combined with a mostly uninteresting story (or rather, it's interesting for the first half maybe, then completely stops being interesting until the second to final dungeon), but FTNW has the best combat in the whole series so it is still worth playing through.

• Locked thread